Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pee = op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Speaking of this: what's the current best guess as to whether photosynthesis is (a) extremely optimized and pushing the limits of efficiency after billions of years of evolution, or (b) a stupid nature hack full of problems and dumb pathways and scientists will soon be able to make their own better version that lets us have bright green cars that run forever on sunlight and water

the same process that decided "gently caress it let's just oxidize water" and pulled it off is the one that brought us "whoops i'm doing photorespiration now"

so it's both

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i think it's more that rubisco is perfectly balanced on the razor's edge between "can make glucose faster" and "won't usually bind to oxygen"

i'd think it'd be easier to put a plant into an anoxic environment and crank up the temperature than it is to try to take the enzyme apart, but apparently borrowing variants from red algae and putting them into food plants is a thing we're doing because science is cool

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

seriously in any bachelor's level algos or data structure course almost everything you study will be from prior to the 70s. all that's left to study are the things that were too hard to do in the last 70 years.

i'm doing one right now and the book is incomprehensible

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

carry on then posted:

algos class seems like one that really benefits from being taught by someone who is skilled at teaching, not just algorithms. mine was more of an infodump (with CLRS as the text lmao) and i feel like i'll have to do a bunch of self study the next time im out interviewing because i never really got it :(

so what you're saying is that distance learning data structures and algorithms is going to make me doubt the "ignore it for 5 months and then do the entire curriculum in 3 weeks" strategy

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i think all we can do is prove it when everyone says they're okay with it, that's the same thing right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

they called the second photosystem photosystem one

• Locked thread