Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Spadoink posted:

People use it way more often than they think, and they can't hear themselves say it, so don't expect Canadians to accurately self-report on the subject. It just kind of creeps in there the way "like" and "umm" and "yeah?" do for other types of English speakers.

As an american who has lived in Quebec and BC, I haven't heard it often. I feel like this is a Ontario stereotype if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Macarius Wrench posted:

I always said to myself that if I visited Canada it would be the maritime provinces. I always found the idea of visiting Nova Scotia fascinating, might be cause I'm Scottish. Also had no idea that Montreal was on an island. With that I have done Canada questions I could just google but I'd rather hear answers from authentic Canadians.

1. What's the most dangerous animal in Canada?

2. Which is the best band from Canada?

3. So do Canadian schools teach French further West?

4. What caused the division between America and Canada?

5. Why is France so integrated into French culture but not Spain which also has a massive presence in America.

Thank you kindly Canadians

1. Albertans in cars.

2. I like Amelia Curran and Buck 65.

3. We had compulsory french until high school in NS, but I only learned passable french in the army. Most officers have to learn french to make Major or above, IIRC.

4. Canada was almost entirely French fur trade colonies until the seven years war when they were forced to cede land to the British. After that, Canada beat the poo poo out of the US in the war of 1812.

5. I'm not sure exactly what you mean, the colonization techniques of the french and Spanish are very different. And the nationalization strategies of Canada and the US are also very different. In Canada, to avoid a rebellion, we had to make a deal with the Québécois where their language and religion and stuff was made part of the constitution. Also, since France and French culture is so centralized, you end up with close ties to the former colonial power.

I think the Texas Mexico comparison is particularly flawed because Mexico had their own independence war. With Spain, they're more like the US is to the UK than France is to Quebec.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

is the average Canadian proud of Rush, or embarrassed by them?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

is the average Canadian proud of Rush, or embarrassed by them?

Every Canadian likes Rush.

From birth, we can also identify every Canadian celebrity well known in America. Off the top of my head:

Keanu Reeves
Dan Rather
William Shatner
Rosie O'Donnell
Ryan Reynolds
Ryan Gosling
Seth Rogen
Michael J. Fox
Kiefer Sutherland
Bryan Adams

And I don't follow celebrity news or otherwise give a gently caress, I just KNOW. (One of those is a fake for my fellow Canadians.)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So how many times do you say "eh" in a day, eh?

You know how only certain people from certain areas of America say "y'all"? It's the same with "eh".
Same people, too.

(Hicks. I'm taking about hicks.)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Scudworth posted:

You know how only certain people from certain areas of America say "y'all"? It's the same with "eh".
Same people, too.

(Hicks. I'm taking about hicks.)

y'all is not at all just a "hick" thing in the US though

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Earwicker posted:

y'all is not at all just a "hick" thing in the US though

Ok, but it still is with "eh".

e: that reminds me (since my immediate image of a person who says y'all was someone wearing a confederate flag tshirt), sometimes in stores here you'll find confederate flag merch out of nowhere, dumped by a merch distributor who doesn't know we're another country, or see one as a sticker on a truck. This does not happen very often but it's just as confusing as you can imagine.
We are taught nothing about the american civil war, and calling it "the US confederate flag" would confuse most people, and when pressed those displaying it think it's "the rebel flag" as just some general tough guy shtick without any cultural/historical context whatsoever beyond the Dukes of Hazzard

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 21, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Scudworth posted:

Ok, but it still is with "eh".

That's not my experience at all. Unless hicks are also maritimers, which I'd buy. People say eh fairly regularly, as far as I can tell, and it has almost no regional or economic basis. But I might just be a hick!

Regionalism.png

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Scudworth posted:

since my immediate image of a person who says y'all was someone wearing a confederate flag tshirt

honestly thats a really strange impression to have, even for a Canadian

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Earwicker posted:

honestly thats a really strange impression to have, even for a Canadian

I used to think the same way because I associated Texas with "the south". I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other people did too. We don't get taught much American history here, so most of what we know of the American civil war comes from pop culture.

Happy Victoria Day, folks!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nessa posted:

I used to think the same way because I associated Texas with "the south". I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other people did too. We don't get taught much American history here, so most of what we know of the American civil war comes from pop culture.

:confused:

you really don't have to know anything at all about Texas or the Civil War to know that "hicks" aren't the only people who say "y'all" - I mean yes the expression did originate in the south but it's also very common outside of the south, and it is frequently associated with black people/aave which is why its really weird to assume that anyone using it would be "in a confederate uniform"

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 22, 2017

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Earwicker posted:

:confused:

you really don't have to know anything at all about Texas or the Civil War to know that "hicks" aren't the only people who say "y'all" - I mean yes the expression did originate in the south but it's also very common outside of the south, and it is frequently associated with black people/aave which is why its really weird to assume that anyone using it would be "in a confederate uniform"

I'm just saying I thought people from Texas said "y'all" and that Texas was "the south".

You might be able to blame The Beverly Hillbillies for people linking "y'all" with "hicks".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nessa posted:

I'm just saying I thought people from Texas said "y'all" and that Texas was "the south".

You might be able to blame The Beverly Hillbillies for people linking "y'all" with "hicks".

That show went off the air in like the 70's.

I guess I assumed Canadians were importing more of our pop culture than you actually are but still, have you never even listened to like a Drake song? Drake is Canadian and even he says y'all. I don't think most people in the US consider it mainly a "Texan thing".

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 22, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm Canadian and I say y'all all the time. It's not something I'd use in a formal situation, but casually, for sure.

I also say eh a whole bunch.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lord Lambeth posted:

As an american who has lived in Quebec and BC, I haven't heard it often. I feel like this is a Ontario stereotype if anything.

I lived in southern Ontario, and there's a loooot of "eh" between say, Oshawa and Cornwall. That's maybe the most stereotypically-canadian area of Canada and people take pride in it. "Aboat" and "oatside" are common, people love wearing goofy canada-themed toques and mitts, and so on. There are folks who take local hockey seriously and NHL and the Blue Jays are big, big news. Kingston is the biggest city around until you get to the GTA and even they say "eh" and do all the other stuff. A wonderful small city as long as you avoid Queens students. The only place I've ever seen where people actually wear around school jackets like villainous TV jocks was Queens.

I was in the Fort Henry Guard one summer as an american. It was really fun to larp a loyalist. Fun fact, a lot of southern Ontario and Quebec was settled by people from the former colonies that became the US.

tuyop posted:

4. Canada was almost entirely French fur trade colonies until the seven years war when they were forced to cede land to the British. After that, Canada beat the poo poo out of the US in the war of 1812.

You mean the british did, with british troops, born in Britain. Up until Confederation the canadian "military" was a territorial militia that would have rolled over even in the face of the mediocre US army of the time.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 22, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

In the US we consider it to have been a tie, but the war is barely taught even here.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 22, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Earwicker posted:

In the US we consider it to have been a tie, but the war is barely taught even here.

It was actually a military stalemate and both sides launched failed invasions, but mentioning that in the Canada thread is like to start a flame war.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah but the Brits burned the white house down so its true that they came out of it with more Victory Points

in the US the war is mostly famous for the song about it (our national anthem) and for the battle that was fought after the war official ended (New Orleans), and also for being the "the one with the song with the cannons" which is actually a Russian music about Napoleon's invasion but you know what, we'll take it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You mean the british did, with british troops, born in Britain. Up until Confederation the canadian "military" was a territorial militia that would have rolled over even in the face of the mediocre US army of the time.

Well if you want to get pedantic it was often aboriginal fighters, like outnumbering the British 20-1 in some battles. :pseudo:

But yeah, the big attack on the White House that everyone knows was pretty much all British. So I guess you're right. My national pride.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm in Montreal tonight after being in Ottawa today. I drove here. Also did very little research. For instance I had no idea you all had a holiday today.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm in Montreal tonight after being in Ottawa today. I drove here. Also did very little research. For instance I had no idea you all had a holiday today.

That's PT6A's Law of International Travel -- you will always arrive on a day which is unexpectedly a holiday or something else that will gently caress you up.

Did you know, for example, that Cuba switches to daylight saving time on a completely different date from North America? And I arrived on that very evening, near the time the official change takes place! Boy howdy that was a confusing few hours. I've also managed to arrive in Spain on what is apparently their Mother's Day (which frightened me a great deal, because apart from a bunch of things being closed/busy/etc., I thought I'd missed Mother's Day to call my mum).

This holiday is to celebrate our beloved Queen Victoria or something I think. All I know was that traffic was right hosed when I tried to go about my normal business today.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Some Canadians have an itch to just drive North for as long as they can on the weekend, 'just to see what's there', and it's very annoying to dissuade them from this because it's a waste of gas and there's nothing there. That's why I've never been to the top of Vancouver Island, because while there is a beautiful park up there, the six hour drive to the park would mostly be endless trees.

Also see: the drive into Ottawa, the goddamn national capitol, from anywhere.

See, I got this itch, but I'm an American, so I had this whole silly country I could go to.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Earwicker posted:

We're no strangers to revisionism either. In our version, the Boer War was an heroic intervention and an important nation-building moment that will forever be a source of pride in our fighting men.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I woke up today with a serious craving for some Tim's :(

I think the closest one is a good day or two's drive away in Minnesota.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I woke up today with a serious craving for some Tim's :(

I think the closest one is a good day or two's drive away in Minnesota.

Of all the Canadian things you could possibly ever crave: why that?

EDIT: I guess Timbits are pretty drat good, it's just everything else that's awful.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

PT6A posted:

EDIT: I guess Timbits are pretty drat good, it's just everything else that's awful.

Maple cinnamon French toast bagels are pretty drat good too.

And 4 cheese bagels.

And honey crullers.

And iced Capps.

I like Tim Hortons.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I see that they sell potato wedges now. Every time I go in, they're out of potato wedges and won't make more. So I get a jalapeño asiago bagel with herb and garlic cream cheese and breathe in peoples' faces all day to express my rage.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had the potato wedges when I went out today! They're a pretty good cheap snack.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nessa posted:

I had the potato wedges when I went out today! They're a pretty good cheap snack.

I hate you so much right now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PT6A posted:

I'll fight anyone who says the breakfast sandwiches aren't good, and I've had enough of the coffee that I crave it over better coffees.

Plus last summer I'd kayak all over Kingston and the thousand islands and then slam a giant ice capp, now I can't :(

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Hello fellow Edmonton goon! I've been living here a few years but mostly working from home and hiding from the snow; do you have any specific tips about the culture of Edmonton in general, or specific things I should do and see and eat? I live in the river valley.

Also as someone from the American deep south I can definitely get why Alberta gets called the Texas of Canada.

As far as 'eh' goes, I don't actually hear it that often in the city either so I don't think Nessa is just exposure blind to it. It tends to be more older or small-town people in my experience. Quite different from y'all in the south, as you will find that almost everyone raised says it, regardless of upbringing or social status. The guy at the Taco Bell says y'all, your average college student says y'all, your doctor says y'all.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 26, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

subpar anachronism posted:

Hello fellow Edmonton goon! I've been living here a few years but mostly working from home and hiding from the snow; do you have any specific tips about the culture of Edmonton in general, or specific things I should do and see and eat? I live in the river valley.

Also as someone from the American deep south I can definitely get why Alberta gets called the Texas of Canada.

As far as 'eh' goes, I don't actually hear it that often in the city either so I don't think Nessa is just exposure blind to it. It tends to be more older or small-town people in my experience.

I'm not an eh-xpert but I think it's far more common in the east than the west. Not unlike the US, the further west you go the genericer the accents get. I'm a texan who spent a while in Ontario so we are similar transplants.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

As far as 'eh' goes, I don't actually hear it that often in the city either so I don't think Nessa is just exposure blind to it. It tends to be more older or small-town people in my experience. Quite different from y'all in the south, as you will find that almost everyone raised says it, regardless of upbringing or social status. The guy at the Taco Bell says y'all, your average college student says y'all, your doctor says y'all.

Well, festival season is coming up, so there will be lot's to do soon! Edmonton is also known as Festival City for the amount of festivals we have. There's Taste of Edmonton, The Fringe, K-Days, Heritage Days and others. Most of them are in central Edmonton too and easy to access.

Heritage Days is in early August in the river valley. It's one of my favourites because there are tents set up for nearly every country with cultural displays and food. It's mostly about the food. Some also function as selling booths. There's always a ton of stuff you can buy at the Hong Kong tent and I sometimes get my fortune drawn at the China tent. Some food booths will have super long line-ups because of a popular item that may run out before the end of the festival, like French crepes.

The river valley is the best place in the city to live near, imo. It's pretty pricey real estate due to the view, but there's also risk of flooding, depending on where you live in the valley. There's many hiking trails too. I just went on a river valley hike with some friends on Sunday. We walked about 9km across the river and back. You can even hike to the Muttart conservatory if you want. The Muttart is the series of glass pyramids that light up at night.

There's also the Valley Zoo. I haven't been in a few years, but it's not nearly as good as the Calgary Zoo.

Edmonton's biggest attraction is probably West Edmonton Mall. It's one of the largest malls in the world and held the world record for a while. Inside is an amusement park, a hotel, a water park, a small aquarium, sea lions, a movie theatre (that's never been as cool since they got rid of the fire breathing dragon), mini golf, an ice rink, a China town, and a life sized replica of the Santa Maria. If you haven't been, you should check it out sometime! Make sure to pick up a map because it can be very easy to get lost if you don't go there regularly.

On Saturday mornings, there is also the outdoor farmer's market downtown. It's a great place to pick up fresh veggies and grab a bison burger.

For nerdier stuff, there's Animethon in August, which is held at Grant MacEwan downtown and the Edmonton Comic and Entertainment Expo in September. There's also a number of smaller pop culture festivals around too.

Another place I would recommend checking out is Fort Edmonton Park. It's a historical park with historic buildings and dressed up actors who play the part. It's a common destination for school field trips, but it can be fun to go as an adult too and learn some history. They sometimes do events like murder mystery nights and there's a hotel you can stay at too. It's also in the river valley.

Summer is a pretty good time in Edmonton, I'd say.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Every Canadian likes Rush.

From birth, we can also identify every Canadian celebrity well known in America. Off the top of my head:

Dan Rather

Don't you mean Peter Jennings? Dan Rather is Texan.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Nessa posted:

On Saturday mornings, there is also the outdoor farmer's market downtown. It's a great place to pick up fresh veggies and grab a bison burger.

Summer is a pretty good time in Edmonton, I'd say.

Is this City Market? They have a liege waffle place I've had my eye on.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Is this City Market? They have a liege waffle place I've had my eye on.

Yup!

I'm a big fan of the waffle truck. They used to have cinnamon and vanilla waffles that were the best.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Aunt Beth posted:

Don't you mean Peter Jennings? Dan Rather is Texan.

Holy poo poo my Canadian sense betrayed me.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
What do you think of Calgary?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What do you think of Calgary?

I think it's a nice city! Their downtown mall is really cool and way nicer than ours, their train system has a free ride zone downtown and the train goes right to the greyhound station, so it's real easy to get around by bus and train. Edmonton recently tore down our downtown Greyhound station, so the Greyhound now shares a location with Via Rail, 5Km outside of downtown in an area with no sidewalks and only 2 busses per day. Back in the winter, there was a news segment showing European travellers dragging their wheeled luggage through unplowed snow the 5km to get downtown. People are real mad that there are no plans for a more accessible Greyhound station.

Calgary also has a really nice zoo with a big dinosaur section.

It's terrible to drive in Calgary though. We never made many trips there when I was a kid, because my mom hated driving in the city.

The cops there wear cowboy hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nessa posted:

I think it's a nice city! Their downtown mall is really cool and way nicer than ours, their train system has a free ride zone downtown and the train goes right to the greyhound station, so it's real easy to get around by bus and train. Edmonton recently tore down our downtown Greyhound station, so the Greyhound now shares a location with Via Rail, 5Km outside of downtown in an area with no sidewalks and only 2 busses per day. Back in the winter, there was a news segment showing European travellers dragging their wheeled luggage through unplowed snow the 5km to get downtown. People are real mad that there are no plans for a more accessible Greyhound station.

Calgary also has a really nice zoo with a big dinosaur section.

It's terrible to drive in Calgary though. We never made many trips there when I was a kid, because my mom hated driving in the city.

The cops there wear cowboy hats.

The drivers here are all terrible and I hate them.

It's gotten even worse since I decided to stop being a teenage-minded prick and actually drive the speed limit on a consistent basis -- now I have to deal with the same slow, oblivious tools, but also the many tailgaters who believe it's appropriate to go 80 km/h through a construction zone.

I've only been to Edmonton once, but I have a very good impression of it even if there's a rivalry between the cities. Public transit to and from the airport is a serious issue in both cities, though...

• Locked thread