Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

PT6A posted:

The drivers here are all terrible and I hate them.

It's gotten even worse since I decided to stop being a teenage-minded prick and actually drive the speed limit on a consistent basis -- now I have to deal with the same slow, oblivious tools, but also the many tailgaters who believe it's appropriate to go 80 km/h through a construction zone.

I've only been to Edmonton once, but I have a very good impression of it even if there's a rivalry between the cities. Public transit to and from the airport is a serious issue in both cities, though...

Last time I took a plane, transit was super easy. The 747 bus goes from the airport to the southernmost LRT station, so you can get downtown pretty quick by public transit,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
British Columbia Goon here! Lived in the southern Okanogan paradise for most of my life before my dumb rear end chased the oil money dream up to Fort Nelson just in time for natural gas production to go tits up here. The whole town is dying and I believe the last census was something like 60% vacancy on businesses at the moment. I live 140 km from the NWT border. Now to clear some things up for "y'all" down in the US:
-As mentioned before in BC most people have the north west US accent or whatever so I never understood the Canada accent thing until I moved up here. A combo of Newfies and rural folk on the CB radios really made me laugh. Local slang includes lots of "eh"s and "there"s and "ignorant" means rude for some reason. "I was heading down to the bush (oilfield) there and some Cop pulled me over and was being right ignorant!"

- I live 4 hours from any kind of decent sized city (Fort St John). McDonalds / KFC / Walmart runs are a very real thing that people will pay out the nose for. Also no matter where you're headed it's either "down south" or "up north".

- I grew up learning French but it was only mandatory until grade 9. Most people out west here seem to treat it as a minor annoyance rather than a national bilingual identity. There is/was a program called French Immersion where the kids speak French in all classes. Naturally most of them got made fun of in high school for it if they let slip they went to the French elementary school.

- My town is mostly white and the most common visible minorities are the local First Nations bands and a large Filipino population that seem to run all the service and cleaning jobs. A lot of locals and old timers are super racist and sexist and generally prejudiced. Phrases like "one of those goddamn environmentalists" or "loving Trudeau" come up in every political conversation.

-I work in a tire shop and appreciate the US tipping culture because getting 5-10$ for taking 30 seconds to check someone's air pressure is awesome. We do the "local" Uhaul roadside jobs for the area so sometimes that means driving for 4 hours to do a 5 minute job.

- the landscape up here is mostly flat swamp/ muskeg, with the Northern Rocky Mountains visible and about an hour north. My hometown (Vernon) is in a lake filled semi desert / pine forest / orchard valley so I gotta say I'm not thrilled at the local scenery. Also as soon as you leave town either direction you lose cell reception for 4 hours except for a couple of summits.

- A lot of our media exposure is US, but federal law mandates that channels/ radio stations have to play a certain amount of Canadian content. So you end up with channels like Teletoon which is like a watered down Cartoon Network with lots of Canadian shows that all look the same from being animated with the same program. And stuff like Nickelback dominates the radio for similar reasons. If a Canadian gets a popular song you better be ready to hear it every hour for the next year or so.

- Most people I know don't give two shits about the Queen or the UK but some old folks are like super British subjects still and it's kind of funny

-Despite being a national symbol beavers are a pest here and people shoot them a lot and blow up their dams.

Also I like Edmonton and hate Calgary mostly for driving reasons back when I was the DD in my old band. Vancouver is cool but I lose my poo poo in traffic sometimes. The town I'm in just got a new light so now we're no longer a one stoplight town! PROGRESS

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Wow there are a heck of a lot of random little settlements in Canada called Fort X. Four freaking hours for a McDonalds though, jesus. I suppose it helps to be trained in auto-repairs since so many people there are going to be car owners.

Is it particularly difficult to get a driving license in Canada? My girlfriend is just starting to learn and here in the UK it's a bit of a nightmare and expensive. When I first learned like 8 years ago I could do it in my small country town but thesedays you have to do it in one of the nearby nominated cities. And when I say nearby I mean a half hours drive.

How do driving tests work for someone who lives as remotely in Canada? I imagine the driving test is pretty much "drive on this road for 100 miles and don't come off the road because it's probably snowing" and voila, here is your license? Haha

Macarius Wrench fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 28, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Macarius Wrench posted:

Wow there are a heck of a lot of random little settlements in Canada called Fort X. Four freaking hours for a McDonalds though, jesus. I suppose it helps to be trained in auto-repairs since so many people there are going to be car owners.

Is it particularly difficult to get a driving license in Canada? My girlfriend is just starting to learn and here in the UK it's a bit of a nightmare and expensive. When I first learned like 8 years ago I could do it in my small country town but thesedays you have to do it in one of the nearby nominated cities. And when I say nearby I mean a half hours drive.

How do driving tests work for someone who lives as remotely in Canada? I imagine the driving test is pretty much "drive on this road for 100 miles and don't come off the road because it's probably snowing" and voila, here is your license? Haha

You should remember that the vast majority of canadians don't live as remotely as The Great Burrito. Something like 90% are within an hour of the US border and most of those are in Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, and so on. Getting a canadian licence is pretty normal and a driver's licence from the US, UK, or Ireland can be swapped for a licence from your province of residence with no re-test, typically. The licence comes from the province though, not the federal government. Nevertheless the average canadian can pass all the tests in their own town without going anywhere else. The experience may be different in the three northern territories but it's probably simpler overall than getting a british one.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 28, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Macarius Wrench posted:

The driving test is ridiculously easy, but in theory to get your full license (as opposed to a restricted license which still permits you to drive alone), you have to demonstrate being able to drive in city traffic and handle things like merging. There are no experience requirements, and you don't need to demonstrate winter driving ability. Unlike the UK, you can take the test in an automatic and then drive a manual.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Macarius Wrench posted:

1. What's the most dangerous animal in Canada?

2. Which is the best band from Canada?

3. So do Canadian schools teach French further West?

4. What caused the division between America and Canada?

5. Why is France so integrated into French culture but not Spain which also has a massive presence in America.

Thank you kindly Canadians

1. Probably Moose. But I think a goose is more likely to attack you. gently caress geese.

2. Matthew Good Band imo but I also think The Tragically Hip, Barenaked Ladies, and Our Lady Peace are great.

3. You betcha

4. and 5. are tackled elsewhere and I'm not the person to ask.

I'm from Northern Ontario and it's pretty "Stereotypical Canadian" up here. We say eh a lot but like someone said earlier, it's so common that people don't often notice it. I also lived in Toronto a few years and it wasn't until then that I noticed that Northern Ontario has a separate accent. I also had to explain to my Toronto boss what a coozie was and he just couldn't accept it. Kept calling it a cozy but cozies keep things warm, damnit! A koozie keeps things cool!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Macarius Wrench posted:

A lot of places have Fort in the name because that's what the town originally was. We have a replica of Fort Edmonton in town where you can tour the barracks and fur trading stations and stuff. I've visited the Fort Saskatchewan replica too.

I also happen to live near a "Fort Road"!

Once you get to the country in the prairies, it's mostly trucks and SUVs. Little cars are pretty uncommon considering how much you might have to haul on unpaved roads.

There's been talk of building a high speed rail train between Edmonton and Calgary for years. I think such a train would be awesome if it meant I could get to Calgary in only an hour and make a day trip there. Other people just prefer driving their own vehicle 3 hours down and would never use such transit, even if they were commuting. I'm convinced such a train line will never be built out here. Too expensive and people prefer driving their own vehicles.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

The driving test is ridiculously easy, but in theory to get your full license (as opposed to a restricted license which still permits you to drive alone), you have to demonstrate being able to drive in city traffic and handle things like merging. There are no experience requirements, and you don't need to demonstrate winter driving ability. Unlike the UK, you can take the test in an automatic and then drive a manual.

Driving tests are provincial, though. The Alberta system seems to take years longer than the Nova Scotian system, which was much harder than the New Brunswick system. I have no idea how PEI does things, but Ontario's also seems a bit onerous.

I'm not just talking about the tests, but the Graduated license systems that seem to be getting more popular.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I just had my N when I moved away from BC (the 2nd level of licensing), and so was given a similar level license in Ontario (G1, maybe?). When I moved back to BC I was fully expecting to have to slap on an N again (magnet on the back of the car, indicating my vehicular immaturity, nevermind that I had been driving for several years). The lady at the licensing office handed me a full license. I wasn't going to say anything, but then mentioned that I'd never taken the 2nd road test. She said 'congratulations on finding a loophole'. It was awesome. I saved 100 dollars by living in Ontario for 6 years!

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
Also since we're remote they only have one person to do exams who comes up from FSJ. Three months is the usual booking in advance for a road test so hopefully you don't fail. My buddy did his bike exam and it started snowing (in June hooray) and he skidded slightly around a corner and failed because of it. In more civilized parts of the province you just walk into the Service BC location and wait your turn, usually no more than half an hour.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
There are a fair amount of westerners posting in this thread, so if anyone wants specific info on the east (I live in Toronto, am from Newfoundland (Labrador!), went to high school in NB and university + 5 years working in NS) I can try and answer stuff about these areas too.

Tuyop's previous assertion that 'eh' prevalence is subject to an east-west divide makes sense given all my 'eh' experience (of hearing it! and saying it!) is based on Ontario and the Atlantic provinces, not Alberta or BC.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I woke up today with a serious craving for some Tim's :(

I think the closest one is a good day or two's drive away in Minnesota.

How on earth do we have Tim's on every corner in Ohio, and there are none in Minnesota? That just seems strangely backward.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Spadoink posted:

There are a fair amount of westerners posting in this thread, so if anyone wants specific info on the east (I live in Toronto, am from Newfoundland (Labrador!), went to high school in NB and university + 5 years working in NS) I can try and answer stuff about these areas too.

Tuyop's previous assertion that 'eh' prevalence is subject to an east-west divide makes sense given all my 'eh' experience (of hearing it! and saying it!) is based on Ontario and the Atlantic provinces, not Alberta or BC.

I've heard that stuff is looking up in Newfoundland. Is it still dire there? Like a beautiful PEI or NB?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A lot of that hope was tied to offshore oil, I think, and, well, oil's not doing so hot right now.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

PT6A posted:

A lot of that hope was tied to offshore oil, I think, and, well, oil's not doing so hot right now.

Ding ding ding! Also when Alberta was strong there was a lot of growth with money going back into the province. In 2012-2013 I was flying in to NL every 6 weeks and kept getting the only direct Toronto-Deer Lake flight on Friday nights where first class was loaded with the same grizzled middle-aged dudes in camo printed baseball caps flying back home from AB.

NL is not losing its population at the rate that NB is, but that's not saying much. The people are really hard-working and industrious, but there is a struggle on how to diversify and economize outside of traditional forms of work (public sector and resources). If you're in Canada you've seen the beautiful NL tourism ads , but even on tourism the province feels stuck - they advertise, but there is a lack of large-scale thinking and planning and developing that could make the industry so much more than what it is currently. And there's proof that 'if you build it they will come' - Fogo Island built a cutting edge artist residency (http://fogoislandarts.ca/) and has had international coverage from instagrammers and Gwyneth Paltrow's stay last year that has raised the profile of this already-popular destination.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Halah posted:

How on earth do we have Tim's on every corner in Ohio, and there are none in Minnesota? That just seems strangely backward.
Wendy's bought Tim Hortons in the 90s, and then also bought a defunct fast food chain (Rax) in Ohio and turned a bunch of them into Tim Hortons. Possibly related is that Wendy's HQ is in Ohio.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I'd chime in saying that I live in southern Saskatchewan but there's nothing too exciting about this province except it's name and Deadpool.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I live just outside Vancouver, so if anyone has any questions on how much Vancouver sucks, I can help.

The answer to all questions about Vancouver is "it sucks".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I live just outside Vancouver, so if anyone has any questions on how much Vancouver sucks, I can help.

ok I'll bite, I've only visited the city briefly a few times but I found it by far the most enjoyable city in Canada, really beautiful, lots of good food, good weed, amazing mountains all around, the people seemed nice, only bad thing was the prices everywhere. Why does it suck?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Earwicker posted:

ok I'll bite, I've only visited the city briefly a few times but I found it by far the most enjoyable city in Canada, really beautiful, lots of good food, good weed, amazing mountains all around, the people seemed nice, only bad thing was the prices everywhere. Why does it suck?

It's amazing for tourists and visitors, living here is a nightmare.

It's one the of the most expensive places to live in the world. And I don't just mean Vancouver proper, you have to get about 2-3 hours outside of Vancouver before prices become not completely insane (but still crazy). Daily costs of living are crazy high too, since taxes are always high, goods and services cost a ton since everything in Canada costs more because of import fees, tariffs, and our lovely dollar. Traffic is poo poo, and only getting worse since more people keep moving here, and yet the entire region is trying to force a "less cars" style of urban development, but the public isn't buying it so you get more and more cars with less and less room to drive. Health care is free, but "you get what you pay for". I work in health care too, and it's pretty drat dire since I get to see the behind the scenes of it all. Homelessness is really bad in Vancouver proper, and only getting worse. The city had the gall to say they were going to eliminate homelessness by 2016 or something equally ridiculous, and when the date came, there were more homeless than ever. Everyone knew this was going to happen, but city hall in Vancouver is run by the most moronic cadre of hard-left dreamers you'll find on the continent. The mayors nickname is "Mayor Moonbeam" fer christ sakes.

I'm kind of stuck between a rock and hard place. I'm already a homeowner, and I make decent money, so it would be hard to give that up. I could move elsewhere in Canada, but the nice areas are almost as expensive, and the cheap areas are crap with bad job prospects. If I was young though and just getting of school and entering the job market, I would be out of here so fast.

EDIT: And you know, it's not all that great for tourists as well. My sister used to work for the terminal where the cruise ships let off, and the number one piece of feedback from travelers coming back to their ships was along the lines of ".... Vancouver was boring and a waste of time." The first thing tourists are funneled into in Vancouver is Gastown. Historic Gastown! Where it's 1% history and 99% shops selling gift bottles of maple syrup, canadian flags, and knockoff native art.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 4, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

EDIT: And you know, it's not all that great for tourists as well. My sister used to work for the terminal where the cruise ships let off, and the number one piece of feedback from travelers coming back to their ships was along the lines of ".... Vancouver was boring and a waste of time." The first thing tourists are funneled into in Vancouver is Gastown. Historic Gastown! Where it's 1% history and 99% shops selling gift bottles of maple syrup, canadian flags, and knockoff native art.

well that part at least is not the fault of the city as a whole, it's the fault of the specific agency that is doing that. There is a ton of great stuff to do in Vancouver for visitors if you aren't being shuttled around by someone else, I always wish I had more time there. also these are cruise ship passengers you are talking about so someone needs to keep them all together and easily trackable which is probably why they are funneled to the generic tourist area.

but yeah that is interesting info about the cost of living. Why is it so expensive there, like where do most people there make so much money? I have heard from a few friends that the music scene is being killed by this, which really sucks, I love a lot of Skinny Puppy related projects that have ties there

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wonder why more Vancouverites don't hop over to Halifax. It's just like Vancouver but with 10% of the costs, natural beauty, and hope! In the late 2000s I was making around 35k with parttime work and my rent was $650/month for a mid scale downtown high rise apartment that would cost three times as much in Edmonton. You can live in Dartmouth and buy a beautiful house near like six lakes and the ferry for <200k. It's ridiculous.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Earwicker posted:

Why is it so expensive there, like where do most people there make so much money?

That's the thing, people aren't making much money. Vancouver has a real problem with overseas investors buying huge swaths of property, driving up prices. Vancouver is also a haven for overseas money, mostly from China. If you're rich and in China, the safest place to store your money is Vancouver. It's got so bad that the city instituted a tax on home purchasers by foreign buyers, but now the city is rethinking that because of cries of racism. Unless something radically changes, Vancouver proper is literally going to become a city for only the rich. There are already backlashes from regular business who are having issues finding staff for low paying jobs, because there's no one around who can take a low-paying job and live in the city. gently caress, property in Vancouver is so expensive that there is literally one single gas station left in the downtown area. All the others either couldn't pay their property taxes, or saw dollar signs from condo developers who wanted their property.

But Vancouver City Hall is mostly inept and powerless, so the current Mayor and his neo-hippy cabinet aren't going to solve anything. Their only answer to anything that comes up are limp-wristed half measures that solve nothing, and if ever an issue gets too big, they bitch that it should be the provinces responsibility to take care of it. This was most recently scene where Vancouver wanted to crack down on drugs, but now that the Fentanyl crisis has gone wildly out of control, the Mayor is constantly distancing himself from the issue and blaming the provincial government for not tackling the issue.

People are so fed up with politics in this province that the recent provincial elections were a total gently caress up. 60% turnout, and neither party got enough votes to actually form a majority government. The eternally lame-duck Greens partnered up with the NDP and are saying they are the new coalition government, but the Liberals are all "Nuh-uh, were the government." So we may get some slap-fight grasping for power, the lieutenant governor might declare one party the actual government and tell the other to sit down and shut up, or maybe even another election.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I like Vancouver. I've only been there once, but it's super pretty. I really like cities near the ocean.

I have family in the area. The one thing that made my cousin appreciate Vancouver was living in Yellowknife for a while.

The property prices are such a problem that you can play the "Crack House or Mansion" game. It can be very hard to dintinguish which homes in Vancouver are crack houses and which homes cost a million dollars. Sometimes they are one and the same!

If you feel like spending a million dollars on a run down crack house, Vancouver is your city!

I'd like to go again sometime to visit family. I'd like to check out the Daiso store too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How do you feel about the marketing rebrand of Kraft Dinner to just "KD"? Do you have your kraft dinner with a hot dog and/or ketchup?

When was the last time you went to Harvey's?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The mayors nickname is "Mayor Moonbeam" fer christ sakes.

I think that's a West Coast tradition. The current mayor of Victoria has the exact same nickname.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ilmucche posted:

How do you feel about the marketing rebrand of Kraft Dinner to just "KD"? Do you have your kraft dinner with a hot dog and/or ketchup?

When was the last time you went to Harvey's?

No strong feelings on the matter. We mostly stopped eating Kraft Dinner and switched to Annie's Bunny Pasta for our chesty pasta needs.

I like to put a little garlic purée in mine and my husband always puts in a cut up hotdog.

I think I last went to Harvey's a few months ago for some onion rings because it was on my way home. I don't go there too often because there aren't very many in Edmonton.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I think that's a West Coast tradition. The current mayor of Victoria has the exact same nickname.

it was also a popular nickname for the governor of California, Jerry Brown, during his first two terms in the 70's (he's governor again now but I think the nickname is no longer much in use)

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

tuyop posted:

I wonder why more Vancouverites don't hop over to Halifax. It's just like Vancouver but with 10% of the costs, natural beauty, and hope!

Yeah, just move across the country why don't you! A few of my friends went to Halifax for university and only one of them liked it. The most succinct description I heard was "It's just like London (where I live) but everyone smokes". Of course that's skewed to the student viewpoint.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm seriously considering a cross-country move to here if jobs pan out. But I'm also open to other areas in BC. I just want to get out west which seems to be common sentiment for people in my area.

For anyone else's interest I geographically live halfway between Toronto and Detroit. I say eh frequently.

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 4, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Yeah, just move across the country why don't you! A few of my friends went to Halifax for university and only one of them liked it. The most succinct description I heard was "It's just like London (where I live) but everyone smokes". Of course that's skewed to the student viewpoint.

I don't know, everything's so far apart that I don't see much of a difference between moving from one coast to the other and moving from any other large city to another unless you're in Southern Ontario. What are the other options? Nearly everything in this country is a day away from everything else and the only difference is whether you're flying or driving.

I would say that Halifax is a bit like London, Ontario, though. Vancouver is not really like London.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How strong is the anti-toronto sentiment in Edmonton? Did any of that change after the economic collapse surrounding the oil industry? How was trudeau's election received in alberta, given it remained conservative?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

How strong is the anti-toronto sentiment in Edmonton? Did any of that change after the economic collapse surrounding the oil industry? How was trudeau's election received in alberta, given it remained conservative?

I didn't know that such a thing existed, but I don't know too many idiots here.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nessa posted:

Last time I took a plane, transit was super easy. The 747 bus goes from the airport to the southernmost LRT station, so you can get downtown pretty quick by public transit,

For a second I thought someone in Canada had turned a Boeing 747 into a bus, and was really excited. Then I realized you meant the route number of the bus and I was disappointed again.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I haven't seen too much Toronto hate, but I have plenty of conservative relatives who spew Notley and Trudeau hate on a regular basis. A lot of stuff about ow climate change is a hoax and "Oh dear, the poor oil sands! Everyone is so mean to the oil sands!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

For a second I thought someone in Canada had turned a Boeing 747 into a bus, and was really excited. Then I realized you meant the route number of the bus and I was disappointed again.

Yeah, I can't say I took Edmonton's airport bus route, but Calgary's loving sucks. First of all, it costs three times as much as every other transit route in the city. Second of all, it neither goes to the nearest C-Train station (which is very close to the airport geographically, but impossible to reach directly) nor does it take an efficient route downtown. Instead, it takes a long, transit-only route with a speed limit of 50 km/h through residential areas, with a whole bunch of stops, taking over twice as long to reach downtown as it would in a taxi or car, and it doesn't actually connect with the C-Train network until you reach downtown itself. I can only imagine they got paid off by the taxi companies to make it suck as much as humanly possible. Not to mention, our entire transit system is designed to use the city centre as a destination and/or hub, so it's especially nonsensical to not provide an express bus to and from the city centre from the airport.

Compare that with some cities I've been to in Europe: it's actually easier and faster, not to mention cheaper, to use transit to get to the city centre.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
OK everyone likes to say their city/town has the worst drivers.....OBJECTIVELY who really has the worst drivers? And where is it actually the worst place to drive in?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

OK everyone likes to say their city/town has the worst drivers.....OBJECTIVELY who really has the worst drivers? And where is it actually the worst place to drive in?

Alberta has the worst drivers by far, and Calgary probably has the worst drivers in the province of Alberta. There's a TV show up here called "Canada's Worst Driver" and Alberta always puts up some really, really strong candidates.

Saskatchewan drivers are hell to follow through the mountains because they're poo poo at dealing with things like "hills" and "corners," so they're really bad at maintaining a consistent speed and also extremely difficult to pass because they'll frequently speed up on the few straight sections you can use to overtake.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
My wifes canadian i spent a year in New Brunswick.

Almost no mexican food.
Donairs are really good
You can get balogna with macaroni in it
Canadian hot dogs suck
Canadian hot dog buns are superior, you can fry them.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Mexican food isn't as common in Canada as it is in the States because we don't have that Mexican influence south of us.

ilmucche posted:

I'm a fellow Edmontonian and I can chip in. Toronto hate isn't as strong unless you are an incredibly obnoxious Leafs fan because we have so many people from Toronto here who came for work. It hasn't changed much since the economic collapse because they stayed here because the situation isn't much better back home.

Trudeau's election here is a mix because we elected two Liberal MPs in this city so you'll find people that like him just fine and others that dislike him. Calgary and especially small-town Alberta think he's the spawn of Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I find Saskatchewan drivers are pretty aggressive if they are young (20-30) or very old farmers. We are so used to road crews and tractors and other farming equipment trundling down the road at 40km/h that weaving in and out of that kind of traffic (or even UNDER farming equipment) is pretty normal. So when we get to, you know, a real province with real cities we weave in and out and climb curbs and poo poo.

• Locked thread