Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ilmucche posted:

1) How do you feel about the 150th?

2) How do you feel about the "we shouldn't celebrate 150 years of canada because of how poorly the natives were treated" sentiment?

I'm excited about the 150th! It's a monumental year!

I've been seeing some of those "gently caress the 150th" Facebook posts lately. I think it's important to understand the atrocities that our country has committed in it's past and work towards a better future, but I don't think that's any reason to "gently caress the 150th". There is no country in the world that isn't guilty of many horrible things. The best we can do is understand how wrong they were and do our best to right them. We still have many issues to work through as a nation and those need to be talked about more so we can come up with better solutions. i want us to be a better Canada in the future.

I still think it's worth celebrating Canada's 150th. It's a time for us to come together as a nation and celebrate the stories and work of Canadians, and the natural beauty of our country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Nessa posted:

I'm excited about the 150th! It's a monumental year!

I've been seeing some of those "gently caress the 150th" Facebook posts lately. I think it's important to understand the atrocities that our country has committed in it's past and work towards a better future, but I don't think that's any reason to "gently caress the 150th". There is no country in the world that isn't guilty of many horrible things. The best we can do is understand how wrong they were and do our best to right them. We still have many issues to work through as a nation and those need to be talked about more so we can come up with better solutions. i want us to be a better Canada in the future.

I still think it's worth celebrating Canada's 150th. It's a time for us to come together as a nation and celebrate the stories and work of Canadians, and the natural beauty of our country.

This is a good post. I'm going to play ball hockey in Trafalgar Square.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
There will be big parties and celebrations and stuff, but on a general national level, it's mostly "Huh, 150? 150 what?" People will use it more as an excuse to party than to celebrate some historical milestone.

And again, on a general national level, people don't really care about any negative sentiment about it because of treatment of natives. I honestly feel that native sentiment has gotten worse over time in this country. 30 years ago at worst it was a non-issue because no one thought about it, now people hear and see it more, but people are all "Oh, you had it tough? That sucks. How's your free everything treating you these days? Suck it up, buttercup." It only looks progressive on the surface because politicians are handing out apologies like candy, and various studies and inquiries are constantly going on into those issues. The general populace wears their forced smiles and tolerance hats, but won't hesitate to bitch about native canadians in private company.

That's probably the blackest mark on this country right now, that people still generally don't give a poo poo about native rights, and are actively not trying to get any better about it either.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There will be big parties and celebrations and stuff, but on a general national level, it's mostly "Huh, 150? 150 what?" People will use it more as an excuse to party than to celebrate some historical milestone.

And again, on a general national level, people don't really care about any negative sentiment about it because of treatment of natives. I honestly feel that native sentiment has gotten worse over time in this country. 30 years ago at worst it was a non-issue because no one thought about it, now people hear and see it more, but people are all "Oh, you had it tough? That sucks. How's your free everything treating you these days? Suck it up, buttercup." It only looks progressive on the surface because politicians are handing out apologies like candy, and various studies and inquiries are constantly going on into those issues. The general populace wears their forced smiles and tolerance hats, but won't hesitate to bitch about native canadians in private company.

That's probably the blackest mark on this country right now, that people still generally don't give a poo poo about native rights, and are actively not trying to get any better about it either.

Reminds me of the ITT: we are canadians in GBS. Someone posted something along the lines of "is quiet and polite until you bring up the natives, then they become the most racist person you know".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Native identity is a weird thing too, especially in BC. Whenever a large event or new building is built, there are native images and symbols everywhere. It certainly looks nice, and it honors the native ancestry of Canada, but the general populace feels weird about it because it doesn't represent them in any way. I'm sure people remember the Vancouver Olympics, and native art was everywhere. But for the average joe, the vast majority of which have probably never even met a native canadian or interacted with one in any way, they have to wonder why the provincial identity is so intertwined with a people they don't know anything about and often feel no kinship with. It would be sort of like the UK using a ton of Roman imagery in their national identity, or Russia using a ton of southeast asian art and imagery to represent themselves.

People do generally love pacific coast native art and imagery, but you combine that with the overall ambivalence to native canadians themselves, and you end up with this weird mish-mash of conflicting feelings about the native populations and a sort of "Well... what do we even do with them?" type of attitude.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It would be sort of like the UK using a ton of Roman imagery in their national identity

thats kind of an absurd stretch considering that native Canadian populations still actually exist today whereas the Romans left Britain in the 5th century (and openly considered themselves invaders/colonizers in the first place)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

1) How do you feel about the 150th?

2) How do you feel about the "we shouldn't celebrate 150 years of canada because of how poorly the natives were treated" sentiment?

1) I kind of hate it because I've had to put a million hours of work planning events for nonprofits for it. Other than that I guess it's neat, but I'm pretty fiercely opposed to strong nationalist sentiments. I'll probably go to a friend's cottage or something.

2) I wasn't aware of this at all. I mean, I'm very happy to see people recognizing and expressing some guilt about FNMI relations and mainstream Canada's role as a beneficiary of... that stuff. But I feel about 90% sure that none of it matters. It's either ill-considered Pomo iconoclasm, which means well, or it's a distracting form of protest that doesn't do anything about the actual issues, which means well.

As for the usefulness of these sentiments, I've taught mostly FNMI students at this point and I'm becoming a bit troubled by the shallowness of the coverage of racism and FNMI issues by the whole system. The young people in these communities should really be on some next level poo poo but a lot of families and communities are so deeply dysfunctional that it's just not possible. My students will call someone racist for, like, telling them to pick up their garbage and then in the next breath call someone a human being or treat women like poo poo. They're not able (for many reasons, some outside of their control) to connect the mistreatment of First Nations peoples with the struggle for gay or women's rights - or anything for that matter - and it makes the oppression they face much more effective.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Earwicker posted:

thats kind of an absurd stretch considering that native Canadian populations still actually exist today whereas the Romans left Britain in the 5th century (and openly considered themselves invaders/colonizers in the first place)

Those native populations do still exist, yes, but good look finding many Canadians who've ever actually met a native canadian in their entire lives. Native peoples REALLY keep to the reservations in Canada, and there are not many of them to begin with, so most people have never interacted with them at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Those native populations do still exist, yes, but good look finding many Canadians who've ever actually met a native canadian in their entire lives. Native peoples REALLY keep to the reservations in Canada, and there are not many of them to begin with, so most people have never interacted with them at all.

I'm American and I've met native Canadians in several places across Canada just by travelling, and know plenty of non-native Canadians who interact with natives regularly, sure they are a relatively small population but comparing them to an empire that hasn't existed for centuries is kind of ridiculous, and a lot of what you are talking about (use of symbology etc) can be directly traced to the fact that they do indeed still exist and still live in Canada. if they had all disappeared centuries ago like the Romans you probably wouldn't see so much usage of their symbols.

On top of that, a huge number of countries do still use many Roman symbols as part of their national identity, including the US. We literally wave around flag polls with eagles on top of them, use the fasces as a symbol of unity and strength of state, etc.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is a highly regional thing. You see First Nations people quite often in the west. Growing up in the Maritimes I saw so few aboriginals that I actually didn't recognize them as any sort of minority when I moved to Alberta. It's a bit strange for me the times I've been accused of being racist because I teach only Métis and First Nations students right now and I constantly forget that they're a different ethnicity. It just doesn't register. I also know none of the pejoratives or epithets and only a few stereotypes, which are obviously absurd to me because homeless people are just messed up white people where I'm from!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ilmucche posted:

Reminds me of the ITT: we are canadians in GBS. Someone posted something along the lines of "is quiet and polite until you bring up the natives, then they become the most racist person you know".

Yeah, for every "gently caress the 150th" sentiment there are no doubt hundreds of people screaming on Facebook about the natives "not getting their poo poo together" or some such bullshit. Near every Canadian will boast about how they aren't racist or how racism doesn't exist here or whatever but as soon as you mention indigenous people they start frothing at the mouth.

Judging from reading various other threads like this it's the same in Europe for the Roma.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I only know one full native Canadian who is the wife of a friend of mine, so I often hear stories secondhand of the poo poo he has to go through. People assuming she's going to steal, or just plain treating her like poo poo when she goes shopping. A coworker of mine downtown was part native, but if you didn't know his last name, you'd think he was just a white, metalhead kid with long hair.

There's a decent amount of them downtown due to the nearby homeless shelter, so most of my interaction has been with homeless individuals in the downtown core. It's really sad that many people's first or only interactions with native Canadians may be getting yelled at by a drunk guy on the bus downtown.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I live in Ontario and last census data I saw, 10% of my city's population put down First Nations as their race/heritage. Walk around town here and you'll see indigenous people everywhere. Hell, our post-secondary schools and municipal buildings often have trilingual signs.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

impossiboobs posted:

I live in Ontario and last census data I saw, 10% of my city's population put down First Nations as their race/heritage. Walk around town here and you'll see indigenous people everywhere. Hell, our post-secondary schools and municipal buildings often have trilingual signs.

Well, it's good that you live in one the more integrated cities as far as native canadians go, but it's hardly the national experience.

Indigenous peoples make up about 4% of the total canadian population. But that's not 4% living in cities, that's more like 2% living on a res, 1% who are mixed race heritage who may not even look aboriginal, and about 1% who live off res. So 1% of native populations distributed among only 35 million people in one of the largest countries in the world, then yeah, most people here have never really interacted with a native canadian ever, or maybe once in their lives in a very limited capacity. You certainly have a better chance in a major population center like Vancouver, but literally step one foot outside the border of Vancouver and you'll likely never see a native canadian.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, it's good that you live in one the more integrated cities as far as native canadians go, but it's hardly the national experience.

Indigenous peoples make up about 4% of the total canadian population. But that's not 4% living in cities, that's more like 2% living on a res, 1% who are mixed race heritage who may not even look aboriginal, and about 1% who live off res. So 1% of native populations distributed among only 35 million people in one of the largest countries in the world, then yeah, most people here have never really interacted with a native canadian ever, or maybe once in their lives in a very limited capacity. You certainly have a better chance in a major population center like Vancouver, but literally step one foot outside the border of Vancouver and you'll likely never see a native canadian.

And that's unequally distributed across the country. Here's a graphic:

So in all of NS, NB, and PEI, you have fewer than 60 000 FNMI people and that's in a region with 1.8 million people in an area the size of Greece with, I think, only three actual cities (Moncton, Saint John and Halifax). If only 40% of them live on-reserve, that's still less than 12 000 people per actual city. For scale, nearly 7 000 people speak Arabic as their most spoken language in Halifax, and many people only encounter Middle Eastern people when they buy pizza or take a taxi.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

In one of my classes at university, we had a a social worker from the Nakoda reserve speak to us about conditions in Morley, Alberta after the 2013 floods. A lot of the houses were condemned from water damage, but the people living in the community weren't allowed to do repairs because they're government property and were expected to wait for government contractors to come in and do the work. Of course, they're at the bottom of the priority list. So what were they supposed to do if they weren't allowed to live in their home or fix it? They weren't allowed to move into relatives homes due to fire code violations. There was temporary housing on the way, but it hadn't arrived yet and this was several months after the fact. There were also limitations on the number of pets allowed in each home. So even if they could move into a relative's place, they might not be able to bring their cats and dogs because they'd be over the limit. Any defiance of rules meant they could be kicked out, because the government were pretty much landlords.

I spent a lot of summer weekends in Cluny, Alberta, which is on the Siksika reserve. They didn't have clean water, it smelled and tasted really strongly of sulphur, probably from H2S, and had rusty metal flakes floating around in it. This is an hour and a half drive from Calgary. I'm not sure if the situation has changed since I was a kid, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. When buildings burn down there they don't get replaced. I remember there was plans to build a new firehall, but a thunderstorm blew the frame down and they didn't have enough funding to start over so it just never happened. I think they still rely on fire coverage from Gleichen which is over 1/2 hour away.

This isn't the community not putting in enough effort or getting their poo poo together, this is blatantly the government loving them over.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Picnic Princess posted:

In one of my classes at university, we had a a social worker from the Nakoda reserve speak to us about conditions in Morley, Alberta after the 2013 floods. A lot of the houses were condemned from water damage, but the people living in the community weren't allowed to do repairs because they're government property and were expected to wait for government contractors to come in and do the work. Of course, they're at the bottom of the priority list. So what were they supposed to do if they weren't allowed to live in their home or fix it? They weren't allowed to move into relatives homes due to fire code violations. There was temporary housing on the way, but it hadn't arrived yet and this was several months after the fact. There were also limitations on the number of pets allowed in each home. So even if they could move into a relative's place, they might not be able to bring their cats and dogs because they'd be over the limit. Any defiance of rules meant they could be kicked out, because the government were pretty much landlords.

Yeah, the strange legal status of reservation property is a big problem. Another issue is that (I believe, I could be mistaken on the details) since it's not allowed for non-First Nations people to own reservation land, banks cannot accept it as surety against a mortgage or anything else, removing one of the major financial instruments that most people use to be able to afford a house. Oops!

I think in a lot of cases, the situation in First Nations communities across the country is basically the ultimate proof that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Most of the things that have hosed the First Nations over so thoroughly weren't done out of malice, but the combination of unintended consequences and the fact that most people just don't care at all enough to do anything about the problems mean that things worked out terribly.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

I think in a lot of cases, the situation in First Nations communities across the country is basically the ultimate proof that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Most of the things that have hosed the First Nations over so thoroughly weren't done out of malice, but the combination of unintended consequences and the fact that most people just don't care at all enough to do anything about the problems mean that things worked out terribly.

I dunno, I think residential schools bar-none did the most damage to native communities and their explicit purpose was to stamp out the native kids cultures. Plenty of First Nations policy was created from the perspective of "these people are inferior", so "good intentions" were hosed up from the beginning.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Add to that the startlingly large number of corrupt band leaders that funnel the bands government funds to line their own pockets and those of friends and family members, it's no wonder so many bands are on the skids. They're getting hosed from outside and inside. There's a lot of infighting between bands behind the scenes as well, as poorer bands resent the more prosperous and successful bands, seeing them as having some sort of backroom dealings with the government, or some such other collusion that would explain their success. On the flipside, many of the more prosperous bands look down on the less successful ones, viewing them as shiftless or lazy, and bringing down the larger country-wide community as a whole, so it can be tough for native canadians to band together for their own greater good.

Some of the most successful here in BC have done so obviously through land deals, extensive business development, and job creation, but largely I find they've transitioned their reservation from being a fenced area of land to just another part of the local city. Many res like Osoyoos Nation, or Westbank, you could drive right through without ever knowing you were on res land. They've made their res into a welcoming place for anyone to come and visit or work, and less like a "this is our land, go away" type of place.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I dunno, I think residential schools bar-none did the most damage to native communities and their explicit purpose was to stamp out the native kids cultures. Plenty of First Nations policy was created from the perspective of "these people are inferior", so "good intentions" were hosed up from the beginning.

Yikes, I just noticed I deleted a sentence I didn't intend to in my earlier post concerning that, and I didn't replace it.

Yes -- the residential school system was nothing short of genocide. But, at least when it started, it was done with good intentions -- it was honestly thought that the things they were doing, which we now recognize for the horrors they were, were beneficial to "civilize the Indian". That's exactly why things should be judged by the results they produce, not the spirit in which they were intended. To say that the people responsible for this great crime had good intentions is not to excuse even one bit of what they did, it's to remind us that we need more than good intentions. One of the problems is that people can say, "well, the government tried its best!" and that's complete bullshit, whether we're talking about land ownership rules that make it difficult for First Nations to access loans, or residential schools, or the provision of houses which are completely inadequate for the places they're being sent. Results matter, intentions do not.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The conditions on the reserves is why a lot of international organizations ding us a couple of spots when it comes to HDI. Literal third world conditions, no clean water, black mold on the walls, no police unless someone dies and open gang warfare over the open drug market.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

But at least they still have the full protection of a fair court system and the rule of law

(via CanPol) https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/04/02/a-final-indignity-for-cindy-gladue-dimanno.html :nms:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Add to that the startlingly large number of corrupt band leaders that funnel the bands government funds to line their own pockets and those of friends and family members, it's no wonder so many bands are on the skids. They're getting hosed from outside and inside. There's a lot of infighting between bands behind the scenes as well, as poorer bands resent the more prosperous and successful bands, seeing them as having some sort of backroom dealings with the government, or some such other collusion that would explain their success. On the flipside, many of the more prosperous bands look down on the less successful ones, viewing them as shiftless or lazy, and bringing down the larger country-wide community as a whole, so it can be tough for native canadians to band together for their own greater good.

Some of the most successful here in BC have done so obviously through land deals, extensive business development, and job creation, but largely I find they've transitioned their reservation from being a fenced area of land to just another part of the local city. Many res like Osoyoos Nation, or Westbank, you could drive right through without ever knowing you were on res land. They've made their res into a welcoming place for anyone to come and visit or work, and less like a "this is our land, go away" type of place.

Yeah, the Nakoda reserve ended up signing a contract with a Chinese company for oil and gas extraction on their land to try and bring in more money for the community and rely less on the government. Whether that'll be true or not remains to be seen, but they were able to rebuild Chiniki rest station after it was torched, and the new one is wonderful and I stop there for post-mountain fun snacks frequently. But what's really hilarious are Albertans being pissed at them for "ruining the land for greed" while defending the oilsands.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

flakeloaf posted:

But at least they still have the full protection of a fair court system and the rule of law

(via CanPol) https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/04/02/a-final-indignity-for-cindy-gladue-dimanno.html :nms:

I got as far as the byline and stopped. gently caress Rosie Dimanno, she's a poo poo writer.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

what the gently caress?

none of this is true unless you mean specifically some upper middle class suburb of toronto or ottawa

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Wow, somehow I missed that. I've interacted with hundreds if not thousands of First Nations people, they're family, friends, coworkers, customers, fellow students, politicians, business owners, people on the bus, people on the street. I just did an internship with the Canadian Parks Council and hung out with a bunch of elders who were there to work with parks staff from across Canada developing relationships between Native communities and parks. My university has weekly powwow and Native art classes for anyone to join and sometimes dance and drum in the cafeteria. First Nations people are everywhere.

Like, can you not tell who's Native?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I knew more than a few Native guys in the military who looked like Aryan poster boys.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hell, even in my neck of the woods I knew some, though I don't think there are any native families where I'm from. Of the three I grew up with two were foster kids and the third was the son of a RCMP officer that was stationed there for a while. The only reserve on the island (Conne River) is pretty far away from my hometown.

In other news I'm re-applying for my passport because I'm a tool and let it expire. Don't let your passports expire guys it's a pain in the rear end.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

Like, can you not tell who's Native?

Absolutely. I've taken a six month course in Cree, taught at two schools with over 90% FNMI populations, and specialized in aboriginal ed in university with mostly native faculty. My boss is a First Nations woman who specializes in Cree language instruction, has a PhD in aboriginal education, all that, and I'm still kind of... surprised, I guess, when I hear her speaking cree or talking about being native when it comes up because I just don't see it, despite all my exposure and understanding. The same goes for the Cree teacher here, it just doesn't enter my awareness most of the time.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

tuyop posted:

Absolutely. I've taken a six month course in Cree, taught at two schools with over 90% FNMI populations, and specialized in aboriginal ed in university with mostly native faculty. My boss is a First Nations woman who specializes in Cree language instruction, has a PhD in aboriginal education, all that, and I'm still kind of... surprised, I guess, when I hear her speaking cree or talking about being native when it comes up because I just don't see it, despite all my exposure and understanding. The same goes for the Cree teacher here, it just doesn't enter my awareness most of the time.

It's almost like being exposed to things makes you more tolerant and understanding.

Regarding 'eh' chat, I've visited Canada twice. I don't remember hearing it but once or twice in Toronto, but I heard it a fair bit in Hamilton and even the Sabres game I went to in Buffalo. I hear it more from people that grew up in Wisconsin or Minnesota. Same with 'aboat' and the like. It seems more regional than 'Canadian' to me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MANime in the sheets posted:

It's almost like being exposed to things makes you more tolerant and understanding.

Well, maybe but not really my point. I can't think of a single encounter with a First Nations person before I moved to Alberta, except seeing some Canadian Rangers in the army and having it explained that it's kind of an aboriginal-focused part of the reserves.

If Albertans weren't constantly telling each other who is and isn't a native, I probably never would have noticed at all.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MANime in the sheets posted:

Regarding 'eh' chat, I've visited Canada twice. I don't remember hearing it but once or twice in Toronto, but I heard it a fair bit in Hamilton and even the Sabres game I went to in Buffalo. I hear it more from people that grew up in Wisconsin or Minnesota. Same with 'aboat' and the like. It seems more regional than 'Canadian' to me.

aboot seems a lot more east coast. aboat was much more toronto-windsor corrdor to me. eh was definitely in toronto.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

tuyop posted:

Well, maybe but not really my point. I can't think of a single encounter with a First Nations person before I moved to Alberta, except seeing some Canadian Rangers in the army and having it explained that it's kind of an aboriginal-focused part of the reserves.

Rangers are people who live in really remote areas and help assert sovereignty over those areas. They're technically part of the Canadian Armed Forces, but aren't soldiers. They do annual patrols of their large, uninhabited areas of concern. They also work with actual soldiers as guides when soldiers need to operate in those areas for whatever reason. The idea is to allow the Canadian government to say "we totally have control over this land, see we have military personnel patrolling there regularly." The Ranger program is not focused on aboriginal people, it's just that these remote areas tend to be predominately aboriginal in population, so that's who participates.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ilmucche posted:

aboot seems a lot more east coast. aboat was much more toronto-windsor corrdor to me. eh was definitely in toronto.

I was once playing a game with a bunch of American goons and I said the word "out" and they kept barking "oot! oot!" at me and I remember thinking "Wait, I thought "aboot" was an Ontario/Manitoba thing :(..."

For those wondering, the linguistic phenomenon that does this in Canadian accents is known as Canadian raising

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Mak0rz posted:

I was once playing a game with a bunch of American goons and I said the word "out" and they kept barking "oot! oot!" at me and I remember thinking "Wait, I thought "aboot" was an Ontario/Manitoba thing :(..."

For those wondering, the linguistic phenomenon that does this in Canadian accents is known as Canadian raising

I play games online for years and years and nobody ever picks out that I'm from Canada. Most people guess Montana, and a few times I got Texas. I think the stereotypical Canadian accent doesn't exist in Alberta.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Gophermaster posted:

I play games online for years and years and nobody ever picks out that I'm from Canada. Most people guess Montana, and a few times I got Texas. I think the stereotypical Canadian accent doesn't exist in Alberta.

We have an accent, but it's subtle.

I cam across a promotional video for my hometown on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=firmzBJoN4o

And one for the nearby village!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZZbTOLroE8

Oh no! It looks like they got rid of the awesome Calvin and Hobbes mural at the Ryley pool!

The mural on the wall of the museum is based on a photograph of my great grandfather leading a team of 16 horses.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gophermaster posted:

When I was teaching in Calgary all of my local students thought I was from the southern US. Students from elsewhere (even a couple of international students) knew I was from the east coast. Then when the job market took a dump and I started working at a mall a ton of local customers thought I was from The South too. What is wrong with Calgarians? :psyduck:

Nessa posted:

We have an accent, but it's subtle.

I cam across a promotional video for my hometown on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=firmzBJoN4o

And one for the nearby village!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZZbTOLroE8

This reminds me of the song from this promo video. It actually wasn't written about Calgary but is instead a canned song written originally for Milwaukee so generic that anyone could take the lyrics and replace the city name with whatever they wanted. Over a hundred cities used it in promo videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA5VnKimBRs

This American Life had a short segment in an episode about a guy who was a little too into the song and had an existential crisis after learning about it:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/520/no-place-like-home

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 19, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

This American Life had a short segment in an episode about a guy who was a little too into the song and had an existential crisis after learning about it:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/520/no-place-like-home

:stare: Wow. I had the Rochester WOKR-13 version burned into my brain from a childhood's worth of Saturday morning cartoons. First I've heard of this.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

SPEAKING of really terrible songs about Alberta, have you ever heard the Alberta anthem that the province released in 2005 for the provincial centennial???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MQnTY0q8JE

it sucks

this is the country version, but when I was in high school band we (attempted) to play it and oh boy was it bad

so bad that when Ralph Klein visited our school for the centennial we didn't even play it and played something else instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jyrraeth posted:

Terrible song

Please tell me that ain't corb lund. Should've let the arrogant worms do it.
Also, Canadians answering questions, thoughts on the golden knights? Everything from the expansion draft, to 31 teams (almost balanced) to how lovely their name is.

• Locked thread