Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

SPEAKING of really terrible songs about Alberta, have you ever heard the Alberta anthem that the province released in 2005 for the provincial centennial???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MQnTY0q8JE

it sucks

this is the country version, but when I was in high school band we (attempted) to play it and oh boy was it bad

so bad that when Ralph Klein visited our school for the centennial we didn't even play it and played something else instead

Wow, I've never heard the song before. It really does suck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That song is terrible, so it represents the majority of the Albertan people perfectly :v:

I like my province, but hoooly gently caress is it full of idiots and deplorables.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ilmucche posted:

Please tell me that ain't corb lund. Should've let the arrogant worms do it.
Also, Canadians answering questions, thoughts on the golden knights? Everything from the expansion draft, to 31 teams (almost balanced) to how lovely their name is.

Financially the team should do well because their tickets will pretty much always sell out. I'm not sure what kind of fanbase they can grow in a town where most of the spending money comes from somewhere else, but dedicated fans of nearby teams will love the subsidized flights.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Financially the team should do well because their tickets will pretty much always sell out. I'm not sure what kind of fanbase they can grow in a town where most of the spending money comes from somewhere else, but dedicated fans of nearby teams will love the subsidized flights.

You're forgetting something important, though: there will be a lot of fans supporting the home team on a temporary basis when they play the archrivals of those fans' primary team. I'd like to see a Flames game in Vegas, sure -- but I would also love to see the Golden Knights lay a beating on the Canucks, or Ducks, or Sharks, just as much (but most especially the Canucks). Enough to go to Vegas just for the game? No, probably not -- but luckily, there are plenty of other reasons to go to Vegas. I think it will be a very intense place to play, I look forward to seeing how it goes.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

It looks like outdoor pools will be free this summer starting on the 1st! Are any other cities doing this?

I just had a Mexican guy I know wonder why there isn't an architectural difference between Canada and the US. I guess he just found out that a lot of American shows are filmed in Toronto or Vancouver and was wondering what possible connection these cities had to other cities so that they looked alike.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Nessa posted:

It looks like outdoor pools will be free this summer starting on the 1st! Are any other cities doing this?

I just had a Mexican guy I know wonder why there isn't an architectural difference between Canada and the US. I guess he just found out that a lot of American shows are filmed in Toronto or Vancouver and was wondering what possible connection these cities had to other cities so that they looked alike.

Toronto subs for NY all the time in stuff, and my favourite fact is that in some cases the city is too clean to be realistically portrayed as NY, so they have to 'litter' to make it look realer :v:

Check out the Reel Toronto column at Torontoist.com to discover where a bunch of movies and tv shows were shot in Toronto http://torontoist.com/tag/reel-toronto/

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Spadoink posted:

Toronto subs for NY all the time in stuff, and my favourite fact is that in some cases the city is too clean to be realistically portrayed as NY, so they have to 'litter' to make it look realer :v:

Check out the Reel Toronto column at Torontoist.com to discover where a bunch of movies and tv shows were shot in Toronto http://torontoist.com/tag/reel-toronto/

Yeah, I've read about that!

Haha, that guy actually asked me if Canada had gothic and Greek style architecture like the US has. I don't know what kinds of differences he expected between American and Canadian cities. He was all "Are these two countries... linked somehow??? What is the link? Oh, so the link is England?"

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Nessa posted:

Yeah, I've read about that!

Haha, that guy actually asked me if Canada had gothic and Greek style architecture like the US has. I don't know what kinds of differences he expected between American and Canadian cities. He was all "Are these two countries... linked somehow??? What is the link? Oh, so the link is England?"

lol.

Also, X-Files was shot in BC, rather than mostly in and around DC. Aside from one episode that supposedly took place where I.grew up but looked nothing like the area, the only obvious tell I saw that is was not shot locally was when Scully one time called it "The 66". In these parts, we just call them "66" or "95".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MANime in the sheets posted:

the only obvious tell I saw that is was not shot locally was when Scully one time called it "The 66". In these parts, we just call them "66" or "95".

Using "the" in front of highway/freeway numbers is specifically a thing that people from LA do, no one else in America really does that either. (on the east coast we use proper names instead of the numbers, ex "the Van Wyck, "the Taconic")

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 24, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Nessa posted:

There are significant architectural differences around the country but you have to cross regions to notice them and just hopping the border won't give you much. Like, Alberta is full of legit Wild West facades and closer to the mountains everything looks like a lodge. The East is full of actual old fishing villages (that people still live in) painted pastel colours or just straight up shacks made out of driftwood. Check out pictures of Lunenburg or Peggy's Cove and compare them to Banff or Victoria or Ottawa. I think Red Deer also has a lot of the Wild West stuff going on, but sections of Edmonton are like that too.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

tuyop posted:

There are significant architectural differences around the country but you have to cross regions to notice them and just hopping the border won't give you much. Like, Alberta is full of legit Wild West facades and closer to the mountains everything looks like a lodge. The East is full of actual old fishing villages (that people still live in) painted pastel colours or just straight up shacks made out of driftwood. Check out pictures of Lunenburg or Peggy's Cove and compare them to Banff or Victoria or Ottawa. I think Red Deer also has a lot of the Wild West stuff going on, but sections of Edmonton are like that too.

Yeah, those are quite noticeable differences, but much of the country can be comparable to a similar location in the US for filming purposes. I don't personally know of any common building styles that are unique to Canada that you couldn't find in the US.

Living in Alberta, I only know of a few buildings with "Wild West facades" and one of them, the Transit Hotel is shutting down at the end of the month. I hope it gets turned into something good by someone willing to put in the time and money to transform it from a stab bar to a place where people actually want to go.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nessa posted:

Yeah, those are quite noticeable differences, but much of the country can be comparable to a similar location in the US for filming purposes. I don't personally know of any common building styles that are unique to Canada that you couldn't find in the US.

Living in Alberta, I only know of a few buildings with "Wild West facades" and one of them, the Transit Hotel is shutting down at the end of the month. I hope it gets turned into something good by someone willing to put in the time and money to transform it from a stab bar to a place where people actually want to go.

I'll have to take a picture the next time I notice one. I'm going to High Prairie this weekend and I'm sure that the whole section off the main street has these buildings. They're modernized a bit but it's still really odd when you're not from here.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Earwicker posted:

Using "the" in front of highway/freeway numbers is specifically a thing that people from LA do, no one else in America really does that either. (on the east coast we use proper names instead of the numbers, ex "the Van Wyck, "the Taconic")

In the NE, maybe. I've lived just outside DC my whole life, and if the interstates 95, 66, 295, 395, and 495 actually have names, I have no clue what they are. For the most part this is true with US and a lot of state routes, too. Route 1, 7, 28, 29, 50, 234, 301, etc.

This might be because they sometimes change names in places, but if I told someone from this area to take Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway, I'd get some pretty strange looks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MANime in the sheets posted:

In the NE, maybe. I've lived just outside DC my whole life, and if the interstates 95, 66, 295, 395, and 495 actually have names, I have no clue what they are. For the most part this is true with US and a lot of state routes, too. Route 1, 7, 28, 29, 50, 234, 301, etc.

This might be because they sometimes change names in places, but if I told someone from this area to take Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway, I'd get some pretty strange looks.

its not every highway just some of them and yeah maybe its just the NE, I grew up in northern California and it was the same as you describe - but now I live in NYC and here 495 is locally called the LIE (Long Island Expressway), and 95 has different names in different sections, like part of it people call "the Hutch" (for Hutchinson River Parkway).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

In Alberta you call a highway "the" if it has a name, like "the QE2" or "the Icefields Parkway" or "the Trans-Canada" but not if it has only a number. However, you may not use "the" preceding any highway which is followed by anything other than "highway." You may not say "the Stoney" or "the Glenmore."

For some reason, highway 1A is an exception to the rule, because I always hear it called "the 1A."

Edit: I suppose the icefields parkway is another exception, but it's a special case because you can't refer to it without "parkway."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I usually say "The 1" or "Highway 1" because "The Trans-Canada" is too many syllables.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

In my experience (Ontario), there's sometimes a "the" and sometimes not, and you just learn which are which. For example, head to Toronto, I'd take 69 until it turns into the 400. Then I might go along the QEW. I'd say the 400-series and acronyms tend to have a "the".

GREAT WHITE NORTH
Feb 23, 2010
Greetings, my northern neighbors, from Alaska, the Great White North(west)! Your descriptions of the rural provinces remind me a lot of traveling through the road system of Alaska, which can become a seemingly endless range of black spruce, birch trees, and near-identical rivers, lakes, and streams. That said, I enjoyed everything about my motorcycle jaunts except having my wallet stolen in Dease Lake, BC. The rest of the trips were golden though. I've traveled through the Yukon, BC, and bits of Alberta on the way to the States, and I have a few questions:

1. How was the transition to the metric system? I still encountered a few old-timers who would tell me distances in miles, but most of my Canadian acquaintances recognized both Metric and Imperial.

2. Why is everyone rippin' on Tim Hortons? I'm just curious, as my experience with Tim's has been better than any American fast food chain, and I seriously crave their Tim Bits.

3. With the Arctic sea-ice melting, has their been any increased effort to reinforce Canada's claim in the Arctic (ie more naval stations, ice breakers, etc)? We're fussing about it in Alaska, and I suspect we'll just talk about it until Russian and Chinese vessels start cruising through the Bering Strait on a regular basis.

4. What's the national take on Justin Treadeau?

5. I remember seeing on a map a place in southern Alberta called "Buffalo-Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump and Interpretative Site" or something like that. Has anyone ever been there?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

GREAT WHITE NORTH posted:

1. How was the transition to the metric system? I still encountered a few old-timers who would tell me distances in miles, but most of my Canadian acquaintances recognized both Metric and Imperial.

5. I remember seeing on a map a place in southern Alberta called "Buffalo-Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump and Interpretative Site" or something like that. Has anyone ever been there?

1. The Metric switch happened sometime in the late 70s, I think? Not sure entirely when, but my parents still use a weird mix of both. My dad will occasionally use Farenheit for temperature which confused me as a kid, as my mom went full Celsius. I get the occasional distance in miles, from anyone old enough to be around during the switch, but I'm used to conversion. School is almost 100% metric for anything, but includes lessons on conversions.

I hate imperial but I can use it. Mostly I hate the units that aren't really used much in common speech (eg. Slugs, pound-feet, mils) but that's not really someone random would talk about. Miles, inches, pounds and Farenheit.

5. I've been there and its rad. Its been a long time since I've been there, though. Lots and lots of buffalo bones. Its from the Blackfoot tribe (which I think wants to be called the Siksika, now?) and they would herd buffalo over the cliff as a hunting technique.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Greetings, my northern neighbors, from Alaska, the Great White North(west)! Your descriptions of the rural provinces remind me a lot of traveling through the road system of Alaska, which can become a seemingly endless range of black spruce, birch trees, and near-identical rivers, lakes, and streams. That said, I enjoyed everything about my motorcycle jaunts except having my wallet stolen in Dease Lake, BC. The rest of the trips were golden though. I've traveled through the Yukon, BC, and bits of Alberta on the way to the States, and I have a few questions:

2. Why is everyone rippin' on Tim Hortons? I'm just curious, as my experience with Tim's has been better than any American fast food chain, and I seriously crave their Tim Bits.

3. With the Arctic sea-ice melting, has their been any increased effort to reinforce Canada's claim in the Arctic (ie more naval stations, ice breakers, etc)? We're fussing about it in Alaska, and I suspect we'll just talk about it until Russian and Chinese vessels start cruising through the Bering Strait on a regular basis.

1.) It happened in 1970, so you're probably not going to get any responses from anyone that was old enough to know a change was happening, let alone be alive at the time.

2.) Tim Hortons blows because the donuts used to be good, made fresh in-store. Now they're shipped out pre-made from factories. Plus they got rid of all the best-tasting flavors when they changed over to factory distribution, to cut costs and save time. Plus their coffee is mediocre, and the rest of the menu is bad to meh. Canadians who don't like it, and there are precious few, really hate it more than other chains because Tims is so loving desperate to ingratiate itself as part of the fabric of Canadian culture and society. And gently caress it, their stupid campaign works. I've met more than a few people that act like if you don't like Tims, you're practically a traitor. Related, I've met more than a few people here that straight up say YOU ARE a traitor if you don't like hockey. Like, chill out dumbasses. Maybe don't form you entire cultural identity over coffee and donuts and men hitting a puck around.

3.) Canada never shuts up about our "claim" to the arctic, but we have nothing to back that up with. The reason no one has made a serious challenge to our claim is because there simply wasn't a need to before now. The government can blather on all they want, but the US or Russia could stroll in and take it whenever they want and there's nothing we could do to stop it.

4.) Trudeau doesn't have a huge presence here. Weird to say since he's the Prime Minister, but there you go. Unlike Trump, Trudeau stays well, WELL out of the spotlight. You never really hear anything about him other than "Truedeau, pictured here, at X ceremony to celebrate Y event." Hell, you hear more about Trudeau from American media than you do Canadian. At worst, peeople say "Oh, he so young. Can his policies be good. And remember his father!". At best you get a generic "... yeah, I guess he's fine." response.

5.) Yep, been there. It's a historic site where native canadians used to heard buffalo off a cliff, to kill them en masse without the need to waste arrows or bullets, and was generally safer than charging into the middle of them to kill them one by one. The visitor center has a life-size diorama inside of buffalo leaping to their deaths. Windy as poo poo there too; I lost my favorite hat over the cliffside when it got blown off my head. It's fairly close to the Royal Tyrell Dinosaur Museum as well, so most people visiting that will go to the buffalo jump as well.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 30, 2017

GREAT WHITE NORTH
Feb 23, 2010
Ah, what a bummer to hear about Tim Horton's! Just curious, does anyone know offhand when that change happened? I was there six years ago and thought the donuts at the location in Whitehorse, YT were super-great. I suppose I'll go to the Half-Baked Bakery in Whitehorse instead next time I go east.

Also, I really want to visit that Bison Jump. You had me at "The visitor center has a life-size diorama inside of buffalo leaping to their deaths." That sounds as :black101: as all get-out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

As already said it happened nearly 50 years ago so you might not get a lot of firsthand responses. Newfoundland was a British dominion until 1949 and I don't know if that affected the use of metric units there, so I don't know whether or not my grandpa, for example, would have a different opinion on the metric system than geezers elsewhere in the country.

Metric is more formal than anything, really. All road signs, speedometers/odometers, weather reporting, science homework at school, etc. use pretty much only metric units. Thermometers tend to have both C and F scales on them, though. In casual language it tends to be more varied. People use feet more often than meters when talking about short distances, same goes for pounds instead of kilograms for smaller weights. If a Canadian said "I'm 186cm tall and 80 kilos" they'd sound like a robot, but "I drove 100 kilometers with a 300 kilo payload" sounds perfectly natural. Older people still estimate long distances in miles occasionally, as Jyrraeth said.

Still, farmers measure their land in acres, fishermen measure depth in fathoms, and carpenters cut and measure in eighths of inches. I think that's true anywhere, though.

Almost nobody uses Fahrenheit when talking about temperatures, with one exception: cooking. Pretty much all ovens/grills display temperature in Farhenheit.

It doesn't necessarily have much to do with the food. Mind, none of their food and drink is perfect, but everything you can get there has a pretty solid price:quality ratio. Service tends to be fast too. I actually really love the coffee. It has a weird semi-sweet nuttiness that you can't really get anywhere else. Disclaimer: I was a sheltered Newfie for most of my life and the only place to get a decent cup of coffee was at the Tim Hortons over two hours away. A lot of this could be nostalgia.

People tend to rip on it because their advertising and aesthetic are aggressively Canadian to obnoxious levels when they're really just our equivalent of a Dunkin' Donuts that also serves (plain, but serviceable) hot food and sandwiches.

Yeah basically what Bloody Hedgehog said. Most people generally agree that he's Better than the Last Guy unless they're bumpkins from Alberta or northern BC.

Ah, what a bummer to hear about Tim Horton's! Just curious, does anyone know offhand when that change happened? I was there six years ago and thought the donuts at the location in Whitehorse, YT were super-great. I suppose I'll go to the Half-Baked Bakery in Whitehorse instead next time I go east.

The donuts are still baked and dressed in store but they come shipped with the dough already molded and ready to stuff into the oven (source: I used to work in one seven years ago). The yeast donuts are the lovely ones imo. Gotta get those sweet cake-based ones. Sour cream is my fave.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 30, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah basically what Bloody Hedgehog said. Most people generally agree that he's Better than the Last Guy unless they're bumpkins from Alberta or northern BC.

lol the worst place in Canada vis a vis nutso conservatism is the Niagara Peninsula

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

lol the worst place in Canada vis a vis nutso conservatism is the Niagara Peninsula

News to me! Though I'd contest the claim that it's "the worst" judging from the people I've meet living and working around Calgary and elsewhere in rural Alberta.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
quote is not edit.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Also, I really want to visit that Bison Jump. You had me at "The visitor center has a life-size diorama inside of buffalo leaping to their deaths." That sounds as :black101: as all get-out.

It's very cool, but still a little small. If you ever heading to that part of Alberta, go for the dinosaur museum, which is one of the best in the world, and make the buffalo jump a side trip.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah the Royal Tyrrell Museum has one of the most complete Tyrannosaurus skeletons: Specimen RTMP 81.6.1, otherwise known as Black Beauty :black101:

It's quite the place. I'm sad I didn't make another trip there before moving out of Alberta.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah the Royal Tyrrell Museum has one of the most complete Tyrannosaurus skeletons: Specimen RTMP 81.6.1, otherwise known as Black Beauty :black101:

It is awesome, especially for kids. And, in a case of supreme irony, I believe you can visit a creationism museum in the same town because rural Alberta is backward as gently caress from time to time.

1. As others have said, it was over long before I was born, but there are still remnants of imperial. I weigh myself in pounds and measure myself in feet and inches, but I use grams on my kitchen scale to measure ingredients, and I use kilometers* to measure distance and speed. I really, really hate Fahrenheit. I know that 0 is cold as gently caress, 32 is freezing, and 80 is too goddamn hot, but I don't have any intuition for what 40-80 "feels like."

2. I hate Tim Hortons because their coffee is awful and most of their food is awful, but Tim Bits are great and I still like them. I just don't eat them very often because it's basically pure fat and sugar.

4. For most folks in my city, he's too big of a pinko commie, and for a lot of people e.g. in the Canada Politics thread in D&D he's too much of a neoliberal. Personally, I like him, and most of the people in my social circle like him. What will end up doing him in is, in the words of Thatcher, "the middle of the road is a very dangerous place to stand; you get hit by traffic from both sides." In that respect, I suppose you could compare him to Hillary Clinton, except he won. The Conservative parties at various levels are always on the brink of making a big comeback, but they all choose the most atrocious leaders, so I think a lot of people that lean Conservative but aren't nuts about it will continue to vote for Trudeau.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Mak0rz posted:

News to me! Though I'd contest the claim that it's "the worst" judging from the people I've meet living and working around Calgary and elsewhere in rural Alberta.

I think the conservatism is different in character between those places. In Ontario, you tend to have "rich banker" conservatives, with the occasional smattering of xenophobes and assorted loons, but in Alberta you get the full on "prevent Sharia NOW and also the gays caused that massive flood from a few years back by getting married" types that go to bible colleges and start creationism museums and hand out anti-abortion flyers on the street. I think they're probably just a loud minority, Calgary did after all elect a Muslim mayor twice in a row in relative landslides.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

I think most Canadians would be shocked to realize the amount of time, effort, manpower and money sunk into ensuring we maintain our Artic claim. Not just from the Russians but apparently things can get a little testy with Denmark as well. There is a constant physical presence from the Army and Navy, at least as much as possible given the size of the landmass/sea, because it is well acknowledged by the military and the gov that if the area goes unpeopled for very long there will be a foreign presence there claiming rights within the blink of an eye. I used to live in Halifax, which has a pretty huge military population, and had several acquaintances who would talk around their Northern postings, not about them directly because their operations were clearly secret or classified or whatever.

Also, Tim Hortons is not bad, we just remember when it was better, and we still enjoy the nostalgia/familiarity.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Spadoink posted:

I think most Canadians would be shocked to realize the amount of time, effort, manpower and money sunk into ensuring we maintain our Artic claim. Not just from the Russians but apparently things can get a little testy with Denmark as well. There is a constant physical presence from the Army and Navy, at least as much as possible given the size of the landmass/sea, because it is well acknowledged by the military and the gov that if the area goes unpeopled for very long there will be a foreign presence there claiming rights within the blink of an eye.

Is there a lot of money in the fishing in these regions, or is there oil or some other valuable resource? or is it just the strategic location?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Spadoink posted:

I think most Canadians would be shocked to realize the amount of time, effort, manpower and money sunk into ensuring we maintain our Artic claim. Not just from the Russians but apparently things can get a little testy with Denmark as well. There is a constant physical presence from the Army and Navy, at least as much as possible given the size of the landmass/sea, because it is well acknowledged by the military and the gov that if the area goes unpeopled for very long there will be a foreign presence there claiming rights within the blink of an eye.

Maybe the Danes will give our navy more free booze!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Island posted:

The two countries maintain a sense of humour in the dispute. Peter Taksøe-Jensenhas stated "when Danish military go there, they leave a bottle of Snaps. And when Canadian military forces come there, they leave a bottle of Canadian Club and a sign saying, 'Welcome to Canada.'"

Spadoink posted:

I used to live in Halifax, which has a pretty huge military population, and had several acquaintances who would talk around their Northern postings, not about them directly because their operations were clearly secret or classified or whatever.

I used to live with a navy woman in Halifax but I've never heard anything about her northern trips, assuming she's ever done them (that Wikipedia page on Hans Island mentions the ship she worked on so who knows). She spent most of her time in the Persian Gulf while I was in town.

Earwicker posted:

Is there a lot of money in the fishing in these regions, or is there oil or some other valuable resource? or is it just the strategic location?

Pretty sure it's just the latter.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Like was said above, metric is used everywhere except when referring to short distances and smaller weights. I think the reasoning behind this is that imperial is easier to guesstimate. Centimetres are too small and metres are too large to estimate someone's height with them, so we use feet and inches and don't bother to do the math to convert it to metric.

quote:

I like Tim's, but I primarily get iced Capps, bagels, timbits, honey crullers or potato wedges there.

When I was at college, there was a Tim's on the main floor that would have a crazy lineup every morning, and forget about roll up the rim season. During the summer, the school had another Tim's put in across the street to lessen the traffic at the other one.

The maple cinnamon French toast bagels are pretty good, but I usually stick to the four cheese bagels.

I sometimes get mad when they don't fill the iced capp all the way, even though they raised the price of them this year.

quote:

It's pretty divisive where I live in central Alberta. I have an uncle who is always sharing memes from a "Justin Trudeau is an idiot" page and the "Albertans Against the Liberal Parties" page. Most other people I know seem to think he's alright. I recently saw a photo of him from the Pride parade where he went up to a guy with a rainbow turban to get his picture taken.

quote:

I can't remember if I've actually been there or not. My school did an overnight field trip to the dinosaur museum in 4th grade and we might've gone there too, but I don't remember. It's pretty well known though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nessa posted:

When I was at college, there was a Tim's on the main floor that would have a crazy lineup every morning, and forget about roll up the rim season. During the summer, the school had another Tim's put in across the street to lessen the traffic at the other one.

At the University of Calgary, there are two separate Tim Horton's locations right beside each other in the student union building.

There are additional Tim Horton's elsewhere on campus.

There is always a lineup at every one of them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PT6A posted:

At the University of Calgary, there are two separate Tim Horton's locations right beside each other in the student union building.

They added a third one recently. They replaced the Pizza 73 with one of those self-serve kiosk style Timmy's. Before long Mac Hall will just be wall to wall Tim Hortons.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

PT6A posted:

NAIT has 3, but only one of them serves food beyond doughnuts and muffins.

There's an old, empty Burger Baron near my place that I think should become a Tim Horton's. It's just down the street from the LRT and they're building a bunch of new apartments in the area as well.

Every time I pass by it, there are cars in the parking lot and a conspicuous, fancy, black, retro car is parked right at the front doors. We joke about it being the headquarters for a Lebanese mafia.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nessa posted:

NAIT has 3, but only one of them serves food beyond doughnuts and muffins.

There's an old, empty Burger Baron near my place that I think should become a Tim Horton's. It's just down the street from the LRT and they're building a bunch of new apartments in the area as well.

Every time I pass by it, there are cars in the parking lot and a conspicuous, fancy, black, retro car is parked right at the front doors. We joke about it being the headquarters for a Lebanese mafia.

I didn't realize you could find a Burger Baron anywhere in a city. I've never seen one in Calgary living there for six years (and according to Google Maps there currently aren't any there), but I saw tons in the country when I was doing field work.

Speaking of that, we went to the Baron in Rocky Mountain House once. My first and only time in one. The place was an absolute dump: building in disrepair, bathroom seemingly not mopped in days, a four year old child helping in the kitchen... It still looked better than the Caroline location though. The burger was pretty good but not worth going there again for.

Apparently Burger Baron isn't really a chain or franchise because of some dispute among the owners of the various locations, so their menu and quality are going to be pretty variable.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I didn't realize you could find a Burger Baron anywhere in a city. I've never seen one in Calgary living there for six years (and according to Google Maps there currently aren't any there), but I saw tons in the country when I was doing field work.

Speaking of that, we went to the Baron in Rocky Mountain House once. My first and only time in one. The place was an absolute dump: building in disrepair, bathroom seemingly not mopped in days, a four year old child helping in the kitchen... It still looked better than the Caroline location though. The burger was pretty good but not worth going there again for.

Apparently Burger Baron isn't really a chain or franchise because of some dispute among the owners of the various locations, so their menu and quality are going to be pretty variable.

Burger Baron was the first fast food joint my hometown of Tofield got, back in the late 90's. We often got pizza, corn fritters, burgers and milkshakes there. When I was younger and my mom was out late at a conference, she would get the Burger Baron to deliver food for us in the evening. I really liked the pizza burgers. The location was always kept pretty clean whenever I went in there. The ones in the city are definitely grungier.

The ones around here are all run by a Lebanese family. I only know this because I went to college with a couple girls from the family.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Our Trudeau coverage is dwarfed by Trump coverage so he could be doing pretty much anything and it wouldn't make the news.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
There was a burger baron offshoot where I used to live called Triple Burger Express that had a "3 Burgers for 3$" deal that broke teens loved. It lasted a year. That is my Burger Baron story.

Any Canadagoons doing anything nifty for Canada Day tomorrow? I'm taking my kids to the parade (which we have instead of fireworks because it's light out until almost 11 pm here in Fort Nelson in summer.) There's a big town party/ carnival after, and I bet the same two bands are going to play Summer of '69 just like every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Happy Canada Day!

I'm probably going to check out a Chinatown market this afternoon and the fireworks tonight.

• Locked thread