Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Canadian here. Southern Ontario reprazent! West syde GTA, and Niagara area for lyfe!

I grew up on the border and went "over the river" weekly when I was a kid. We're very Americanized here due to there being so many US tv and radio stations close by. I notice a distinct accent from my relatives that live in the NF NY and Buffalo NY areas. But as far as I'm concerned, I don't have an accent. I do say EH on a regular basis. But I was also a big fan of the movie Strange Brew when I was younger. I have never once said aboot, except when talking about how Canadians are known for saying aboot. Or when saying something like "That guy needs a boot in the rear end".

I'm not a fan of Trudeau. His dad had brains, but junior seems to be about selfies and poo poo. I also don't give a poo poo about Tim Hortons. I don't drink coffee, hot chocolate is rarely on my list of things to drink, partly because I'm a diabetic, but mostly because I just don't like drinking hot beverages. Even before I was a diabetic, I didn't drink that poo poo too much. Even in Winter, I'd rather have something cold than hot. The donuts are ok at best. The sandwiches........... I like them, they always seem to have good quality ingredients, I've never gotten wilted lettuce, moldy meat or any poo poo like that, but the bread, gently caress YOU. I love bread. But I hate the poo poo they use on Tim Horton's sandwiches. I know the bread is supposed to be like it is (hence why I nevre buy that kind of bread), and its supposed to be all fancy and artisanal or some bullshit, but gently caress that loving bread. I expend more calories trying to chew that poo poo than I get from the sandwich, and I used to chomp down on Gobstoppers and Jolly Ranchers for fun when I was a kid.

So gently caress YOU TIM HORTON'S BREAD.

Canada is a fuckin dope country by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I heard that Tim Hortons and McDonald's swapped coffee bean suppliers, that's why Timmies coffee tastes like poo poo now.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

I heard that Tim Hortons and McDonald's swapped coffee bean suppliers, that's why Timmies coffee tastes like poo poo now.

I don't drink coffee that's not a sweet and creamy variety, so I wouldn't know. I do prefer McDonald's Hot Chocolate though.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I dunno about suppliers, but given the choice between timmy's coffee and Micky D's, I'd choose the latter everytime. I think the switch happened before I started drinking coffee? Sometime in the late 90s?

I also noticed that Timmy's tastes different depending on where you are, probably because they don't filter the water very heavily? Water quality was ok everywhere I've been so its not a safety issue, just that Calgary's Timmy's will be more minerally than Vancouver's/Newfoundland's.

I got a small hot chocolate from Timmy's the xmas before last and I could barely finish it, it was so sweet. Terrible. But I don't like sweet drinks, really.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Timmy's white hot chocolate is really good. It's. It's better than the regular stuff.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

Canadian here. Southern Ontario reprazent! West syde GTA, and Niagara area for lyfe!

I've always looked at those as three separate areas.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Jyrraeth posted:

I dunno about suppliers, but given the choice between timmy's coffee and Micky D's, I'd choose the latter everytime. I think the switch happened before I started drinking coffee? Sometime in the late 90s?

I also noticed that Timmy's tastes different depending on where you are, probably because they don't filter the water very heavily? Water quality was ok everywhere I've been so its not a safety issue, just that Calgary's Timmy's will be more minerally than Vancouver's/Newfoundland's.

I got a small hot chocolate from Timmy's the xmas before last and I could barely finish it, it was so sweet. Terrible. But I don't like sweet drinks, really.

Tim Horton's went in-house with its roasting, and McDonald's bought their old contract with their previous supplier.

The water issue is notable not just on a province-to-province scale but on a location-to-location basis. In Nova Scotia I always had to grab a coffee in Lower Sackville after visiting my cousin because the water quality made such a huge difference to that cup of coffee vs what I was getting in Halifax proper.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
French vanilla + espresso is the best Tim's drink.

It won't rock your world but if you grew up with a fondness for both goofy expensive lattes and awful gas station coffee/cocoa, it's a pretty happy mix.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

but if you grew up with a fondness for both goofy expensive lattes and awful gas station coffee/cocoa

What a horrible way to grow up.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

PT6A posted:

In Alberta you call a highway "the" if it has a name, like "the QE2" or "the Icefields Parkway" or "the Trans-Canada" but not if it has only a number. However, you may not use "the" preceding any highway which is followed by anything other than "highway." You may not say "the Stoney" or "the Glenmore."

For some reason, highway 1A is an exception to the rule, because I always hear it called "the 1A."

Edit: I suppose the icefields parkway is another exception, but it's a special case because you can't refer to it without "parkway."

Quoting an old post, but the mountain highways have odd names that don't really follow many rules. Like Highway 40. North of the Trans-Canada it's called Forestry Trunk Road or Highway 40 North, south it's called Highway 40, Highway 40 South, or Kananaskis Parkway but no one says thay. The Icefields Parkway is also known as 93 North for the same reason, and the road from Castle Junction to Radium is 93 South. Most people don't use Highway when talking about them. Then there's Highway 742, which is better known as Spray Lakes Road, Canmore Hill Road, and Smith-Dorrien Parkway. It can get super confusing for non-locals.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Picnic Princess posted:

Quoting an old post, but the mountain highways have odd names that don't really follow many rules. Like Highway 40. North of the Trans-Canada it's called Forestry Trunk Road or Highway 40 North, south it's called Highway 40, Highway 40 South, or Kananaskis Parkway but no one says thay.

I didn't even realize there was a Highway 40 south of the Trans-Canada. I always thought it just terminated at Cochrane. I used to take it from there all the time when I was doing field work.

Oh wait it continues south 30km west of where it meets Cochrane for some reason. Why the hell is it considered the same highway? :psyduck:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Mak0rz posted:

Oh wait it continues south 30km west of where it meets Cochrane for some reason. Why the hell is it considered the same highway? :psyduck:

Same reason as 93 I guess. North and South are also about 30km apart, and south is only about 100km long before it connects to 95 in BC, and another 100km south you turn onto 3, then after a bit it comes back 40km north of the border and continues on as 93 in Montana.

1A is messy too, because it runs Lake Louise to Banff, then Canmore to West Calgary, then Deerfoot to Chestermere. Apparently that changed in 2013 and is no longer included in the highway number system. Funny, I've lived a block away from 17th Ave SE since 2005 and never knew they did that.

I'm sure there's a reason and it likely makes some sense, but I don't have the attention span to find out why right now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
In the US there's places where the same stretch of highway is considered part of multiple different numbered highways (the :spergin: term is concurrency, which I did not know until I just now googled the subject). Maybe the same applies in Canada.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Growing up in Victoria I've never felt very "Canadian".

-Pretty much no one I know is interested in let alone has played hockey, it's seen as a thing for rich suburban families or Albertan/Ontario transplants.
-We only got our first tim hortons like 10 years ago and it was an experimental "upscale" one to try to get into a market dominated by starbucks and local coffee houses, and holy moly do they produce sugary poo poo. We have a few more now though, but it was not a franchise we grew up with, I think there was one out of town but nothing in the city.
-Snow is quite a rare sight.
-No one speaks french and there's probably 10+ more relevant languages to learn that you might exactly get exposed to in your daily life.
-Lots of people I know don't have cars, let alone a truck loaded with quads or skidoos or what ever.
-Everyone rents an apartment, yard care, garages, grilling, street hockey, are all alien concepts.
-!!!WESTERN ALIENATION!!! feel absolutely culturally and politically disconnected from the rest of Canada.

Our national identity being mostly based around being marginally less horrible than the US in some areas is super pathetic too and is often really outdated or just wrong on so many topics and is used to gloss over a ton of our inexcusable shortcomings. "Our beer is better our beer is better!" I shout as I slowly turn into a pine cone.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 12, 2017

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

This is true, and it's why timmies dark roast tastes like someone tried brewing charcoal.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

In addition to the terrible food and drink quality, Tim Hortons also chose to stick with their incredibly lovely cup lids that spill all over you as soon as you open the little flap even though they keep the proper dome lids behind the counter. If you order a wrap they stick it in this cardboard holder that you're supposed to open halfway, and then it drips the wrap sauce all over you as you're eating it.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

wesleywillis posted:

I grew up on the border and went "over the river" weekly when I was a kid. We're very Americanized here due to there being so many US tv and radio stations close by. I notice a distinct accent from my relatives that live in the NF NY and Buffalo NY areas. But as far as I'm concerned, I don't have an accent. I do say EH on a regular basis. But I was also a big fan of the movie Strange Brew when I was younger. I have never once said aboot, except when talking about how Canadians are known for saying aboot. Or when saying something like "That guy needs a boot in the rear end".

I'm not a fan of Trudeau. His dad had brains, but junior seems to be about selfies and poo poo. I also don't give a poo poo about Tim Hortons. I don't drink coffee, hot chocolate is rarely on my list of things to drink, partly because I'm a diabetic, but mostly because I just don't like drinking hot beverages. Even before I was a diabetic, I didn't drink that poo poo too much. Even in Winter, I'd rather have something cold than hot. The donuts are ok at best. The sandwiches........... I like them, they always seem to have good quality ingredients, I've never gotten wilted lettuce, moldy meat or any poo poo like that, but the bread, gently caress YOU. I love bread. But I hate the poo poo they use on Tim Horton's sandwiches. I know the bread is supposed to be like it is (hence why I nevre buy that kind of bread), and its supposed to be all fancy and artisanal or some bullshit, but gently caress that loving bread. I expend more calories trying to chew that poo poo than I get from the sandwich, and I used to chomp down on Gobstoppers and Jolly Ranchers for fun when I was a kid.

So gently caress YOU TIM HORTON'S BREAD.

Canada is a fuckin dope country by the way.
Tim's used to have dope rear end bread bowls but no longer.

I recommend you go to Buffalo and check out Panera

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Tim's coffee lids are an abomination and I hate them. They used to package their wraps in normal paper. I stopped buying them once they switched to those idiotic boxes.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mak0rz posted:

The Tim's coffee lids are an abomination and I hate them. They used to package their wraps in normal paper. I stopped buying them once they switched to those idiotic boxes.

Last time I was in you could ask for the other type of lids and they'd give them to you

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

ilmucche posted:

Last time I was in you could ask for the other type of lids and they'd give them to you

This lovely standard lids shouldn't be an option. They shouldn't exist. Having to ask for the better option is stupid.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Cacator posted:

In addition to the terrible food and drink quality, Tim Hortons also chose to stick with their incredibly lovely cup lids that spill all over you as soon as you open the little flap even though they keep the proper dome lids behind the counter. If you order a wrap they stick it in this cardboard holder that you're supposed to open halfway, and then it drips the wrap sauce all over you as you're eating it.

I still open the wrapper in the end instead of in the middle so this doesn't happen.

Picnic Princess posted:

This lovely standard lids shouldn't be an option. They shouldn't exist. Having to ask for the better option is stupid.

You can ask for it?! My mind is blown.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ilmucche posted:

WHAT!?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Millstone posted:

Tim's used to have dope rear end bread bowls but no longer.

I recommend you go to Buffalo and check out Panera

There are a few Panera breads around my area. Or I'll assume they're the same Panera breads as in Buffalo.

Veth
May 13, 2002
Homeless Pariah
I'm moving to Calgary in September and all this Tim Horton's hate is very disheartening, however justified it might be.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Veth posted:

I'm moving to Calgary in September and all this Tim Horton's hate is very disheartening, however justified it might be.

Luckily we have many good places to buy both coffee and food that isn't terrible, rendering Tim Hortons largely unnecessary.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've always been fond of Good Earth.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mak0rz posted:

I've always been fond of Good Earth.

Yeah that's where I go if I've run out of coffee beans or I need a coffee while I'm out. If you happen to be in the area, Analog is fantastic but I refuse to walk 11 blocks just to get a cup of coffee.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm a Brit in the UK but I've applied for a job at UT Mississauga. Any tips for someone who has never been to Canada before? Places to live, places to avoid, dealing with proper winters, financial information (how do pensions work? etc), healthcare for someone with a preexisting condition etc are all very welcome. I don't think I have a hope of getting the job due to the rules on employing Canadians first, but I'd like to look into things just in case.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 18, 2017

GeorginaSpica
Oct 29, 2011

Lungboy posted:

I'm a Brit in the UK but I've applied for a job at UT Mississauga. Any tips for someone who has never been to Canada before? Places to live, places to avoid, dealing with proper winters, financial information (how do pensions work? etc), healthcare for someone with a preexisting condition etc are all very welcome. I don't think I have a hope of getting the job due to the rules on employing Canadians first, but I'd like to look into things just in case.

Well we don't have 'proper' winters in south Ontario anymore. When I was a kid, the snow would arrive in November and essentially stay until end of March/mid April. They rented cross country skis at the zoo! Now winter is rather lovely for the most part. Snow comes one day, gone to some grey nasty slush in a day or two and then gone until the next storm. It's either too warm for snow so it's rainy or it's stinking cold and doesn't snow.

So all you need is a good coat and accessories to cover all the other bits when it's really cold. And if you want to experience fun in the snow, be prepared to drive out of the city. There are usually options to go ice skating inside or out around town but other stuff like tobogganing will be something that one has to be ready for the day of the storm! Getting snow tires is a good idea but if you don't plan on going too far during the winter, all seasons will be adequate. I have snow tires because I do go up to cottage country in the winter.

Traffic is awful all over the GTA so getting a place to stay nearby the school would be better. Someone who lives in Mississauga can give better advice as to where to look for an apartment. As to places to avoid, for the most part, the 'bad' areas of Greater Toronto Area (GTA) are really not that bad compared to other large cities.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Mississauga is a miserable hole, but as far as I know it's a safe miserable hole. Be prepared to take the train to Toronto any time you want to do anything fun.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

GeorginaSpica posted:

Well we don't have 'proper' winters in south Ontario anymore. When I was a kid, the snow would arrive in November and essentially stay until end of March/mid April. They rented cross country skis at the zoo! Now winter is rather lovely for the most part. Snow comes one day, gone to some grey nasty slush in a day or two and then gone until the next storm. It's either too warm for snow so it's rainy or it's stinking cold and doesn't snow.

So all you need is a good coat and accessories to cover all the other bits when it's really cold. And if you want to experience fun in the snow, be prepared to drive out of the city. There are usually options to go ice skating inside or out around town but other stuff like tobogganing will be something that one has to be ready for the day of the storm! Getting snow tires is a good idea but if you don't plan on going too far during the winter, all seasons will be adequate. I have snow tires because I do go up to cottage country in the winter.

Traffic is awful all over the GTA so getting a place to stay nearby the school would be better. Someone who lives in Mississauga can give better advice as to where to look for an apartment. As to places to avoid, for the most part, the 'bad' areas of Greater Toronto Area (GTA) are really not that bad compared to other large cities.

Thanks for the info. By "proper winter" I meant sub zero temps, this part of the UK rarely gets much below zero and it's even rarer for snow.

Mississauga is a miserable hole, but as far as I know it's a safe miserable hole. Be prepared to take the train to Toronto any time you want to do anything fun.

If Mississauga is a hole, what about living a bit further out, like Oakville or Burlington? Or as GeorginaSpica says, would the traffic be too bad to commute that far?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Burlington is a hole with better Indian food.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Oakville is nice, but pricey. On the other hand, if you're moving across an ocean for a job, then it might pay pretty decent. Also pretty safe too.

GeorginaSpica
Oct 29, 2011

Lungboy posted:

Thanks for the info. By "proper winter" I meant sub zero temps, this part of the UK rarely gets much below zero and it's even rarer for snow.

If Mississauga is a hole, what about living a bit further out, like Oakville or Burlington? Or as GeorginaSpica says, would the traffic be too bad to commute that far?

Well that's the thing, the temperature might be sub-zero at times but it's become that it tends to be warmer and it rains instead of snowing. So instead of the slightly sub-zero temperatures (in celsius) being fun with snow and sledding and skating, it is this miserable rainy crappy weather with no sun. Maybe that's what you already have? And if it's not that wet miserable, it could drop to those terrible cold temperatures but unless you are planning on taking transit, the cold won't be that much of an issue. Bundle up when going from warm indoor space to car and back. Dress properly and it's not a big deal unless one works outside or has to wait for a drat bus!

As to location, there are pockets of nicer places in all of the GTA but rent isn't cheap. But I think by hole, Ensign might have just been saying that about the general living conditions with dismal options for restaurants and fun stuff. And that's pretty much everywhere in the GTA. There are some nice older main streets that have shops and restaurants but for the most part in the suburbs, one is driving to a chain restaurant that's right next to the movie theatre cuz there's not much else to do apart from that and the odd street festival or such. To go to anything like theatre or concerts that are any good or sporting events (leafs, blue jays, TFC, Raptors) one generally has to go to Toronto. There is good theatre in Stratford and Niagara-on-the-Lake but that also requires a drive away from where you would be living. Not so good for having a pint with a friend and walking home....

Veth
May 13, 2002
Homeless Pariah
Tell me about Canadian auto insurance rates. I've heard its real expensive compared to the US.

My comparison is paying $2000 US for full insurance in Seattle, on a Prius and a Highlander with two adults with no tickets or accidents.

GeorginaSpica
Oct 29, 2011

Veth posted:

Tell me about Canadian auto insurance rates. I've heard its real expensive compared to the US.

My comparison is paying $2000 US for full insurance in Seattle, on a Prius and a Highlander with two adults with no tickets or accidents.

It depends, obviously, but I was paying 2300 cdn for two cars (one convertible, one coupe), two drivers, clean record in Toronto. That's with a 30km commute. Now that we both work from home, that went down by about 10%.

There are so many variables but those who I know that have crazy rates are young and have done something stupid. One friend, mid-20's, got 5 speeding tickets in a row. When his insurance found out, they stuck him in the 'facility insurance' where all the risky drivers go.....they upped his rates to 5k for one older car. Due to his financial circumstances, he opted to take transit for a year until he could get back to regular insurance.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I did something stupid and my insurance used to be like $350/month for just me on a hatchback.

Now it's like $125 for my wife and I and no commute. Same car.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

$1200/year on a Mustang. 28, male, clean record, in Alberta. That includes collision, comprehensive and $2mil liability.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm paying like $600 something in BC, finally hit the max discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Baronjutter posted:

I'm paying like $600 something in BC, finally hit the max discount.

At $600 though it sounds like you have the absolute bare minimum insurance. Sucks to pay more, but you should up your coverage amount a bit, get collision and all that. Bare minimum coverage in BC doesn't cover much, and if something does happen, the bare minimum deductibles are pretty onerous.

• Locked thread