Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Where the gently caress were you driving that you saw a pro-life billboard? I've lived here most of my life and I've never seen one.

They’re in the LRT stations in Edmonton, around campus at U of A, if you drive in literally any direction out of Edmonton but South you’ll see four or five within a couple of hours. They’re everywhere. I think Albertans just learn to not see them or something, but they’re very shocking to me every time.

Like at least when you drive in the states you have fireworks emporiums and strip clubs competing with the crazy religious ads that you see every 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ottawa is lovely, a few of my army friends have done a posting there for three year stretches and they all have nothing but praise.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm still in the (pre) planning stages, but I would probably fly in and rent a car. I've got plenty of experience driving in snow and ice. I assume the biggest threat in Canada is the other drivers? Just like in the states, especially after the first snowfall of the year--it's like everyone forgets how to drive on it.

The reason why I'd go up Jan/Feb is I want to do some cross country skiing, and I have some friends in Edmonton I'd like to visit.

I guess we could always catch an Oilers game...

The cross country skiing and outdoor skating facilities are insanely good. If skis weren't like $500 and I hadn't moved I would have regularly gone down to Victoria Park and skied instead of other cardio stuff. We used to skate down there a lot as well. I find the festival stuff very dull but skiing around a park in the middle of a big city is super cool. You can also ski the Tonquin Valley or Skyline trails in Jasper if you have some navigation skills (you don't even really need a compass if it's clear, the terrain is so easy to read you can get by with just a map*), the right skis, and the willingness to drive five hours for the experience. Other than that I would recommend that you go pretty much anywhere else if your friends can travel.

*obviously don't do this, my wife and I almost died on the Skyline in some weather because I forgot the compass. Have some pictures!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 18, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Oh my god, those picture have doubled my resolve. Fortunately we have almost a year to work out the details.

...and we will be sure to take a compass :)

Haha well that’s good, it’s quite an experience. I posted a couple more and set off a minor Canada winter hiking derail in the post a photo thread like 18 months ago. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756620&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post467092719

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Desmond posted:

My husband and I live near Vancouver, where the housing is atrocious. We've done some preliminary thinking about moving to either Ottawa or Halifax. I personally love the idea of moving to Nova Scotia. We might go there next summer just to check it out. Can anyone give advice about jobs, transit, culture? Bears?

In this order: good luck, get a car, rum. Black only.

You’ll find a job if you’re in the medical professions or trades, or if you’re a red seal tradesperson. If you’re a creative professional you’ll be freelancing.

However, the housing is cheap and awesome if you can find a job. And the commute to that job probably won’t be too bad!

I’m not sure how to comment on culture because I’m just from there, but the land is very recreationally viable so it plays a huge role in summer leisure. Like, going to salt or fresh water beaches is probably only 15 minutes away, by foot, from most people in the province. The hiking will leave a lot to be desired from BC, there just isn’t enough money to maintain trails or parks. There also isn’t enough snow for quality skiing. You’ll find that if you get invited to a party, it’ll be weird and loud and everyone will fill the kitchen and not leave for some reason.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It’s also like 350 days a year where there is fog at some point, which I love and miss desperately, but I imagine would be unsettling for someone from away.

And it doesn’t rain as much as BC.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
That’s BC for sure, land in Vancouver and tool around the Rockies for a week and head over to the island and Victoria for a week.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Spadoink posted:

There are places in *almost* every province that has all of these features. I would actually make a pitch for the Atlantic provinces since you have three weeks.

Fly into / spend some time in Halifax, take day trips to the Annapolis Valley / Grand Pre winery, Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove etc;
Drive to PEI for an overnight or two, check out the red sand beaches and eat a lot of lobster and/or potatoes;
Drive and hike the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton;
Take the six hour ferry to Newfoundland and drive to GROS MORNE national park, the most amazing day hiking west if the rockies and arguably anywhere in Canada, and a UNESCO world heritage site;
Drive a few hours north to L'Anse Aux Meadows, the only North American viking settlement;
Ride some horses in any place besides Newfoundland.

You can google everything I mentioned but Gros Morne and L'Anse Aux Meadows really deserve a peek:

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/top-destinations/gros-morne

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/top-destinations/lanse-aux-meadows

2-3 weeks is enough time to do all of this but it'll be packed. In NS, Annapolis Valley (colloquially "the valley") also has some amazing little hikes. Cape Split is a quick afternoon. Cape Chignecto is a bit of a drive and a 3-4 day hike with the majority along stunning cliffs and coastal barrens and the last or first day being through some really gorgeous creeks and glacial till with fairly old-growth forests for the region. There's a Duncan's Cove walk that's really something, you can see the old WW2 bunkers along some really stark coastal terrain because it's exposed right to the North Atlantic.

You'll also really get a rugged hiking experience in the East compared to the West Coast or the US (assuming that's where you're from). Often, instead of switchbacks you're just scrambling straight down a 200ft logging road because there's no money for switchback maintenance.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah this man is correct. I love the east but to get a similar nature experience to Vancouver Island you need to drive and boat for at least 36 hours across three provinces. The trails will also be washed out ruins in comparison, which I love but I could see being a pain for a vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
They don’t speak real French in Montreal, anyway. :colbert:

• Locked thread