Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
You encounter more 'eh' the further east you go. And maybe more with older folks.

Earwicker posted:

what are the basic Canadian accents? I know about the Newfie accent, the Quebecois accent, and the one where they say "surry" and "oatside" I guess that's Ontario? people in western Canada seemed to have the same accent as most of the western US.

Yeah, most of the PNW sounds the same on both sides of the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Some Canadians have an itch to just drive North for as long as they can on the weekend, 'just to see what's there', and it's very annoying to dissuade them from this because it's a waste of gas and there's nothing there. That's why I've never been to the top of Vancouver Island, because while there is a beautiful park up there, the six hour drive to the park would mostly be endless trees.

Also see: the drive into Ottawa, the goddamn national capitol, from anywhere.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Nessa posted:

I'm gonna go with Bare Naked Ladies.

If I understand your question correctly, much of Canada was explored by French explorers and there were major French settlements here. Spanish settlements were much further south in America. The Spanish just never really came here.

Depends on the kind of music you like, but we also made Arcade Fire, the Weakerthans, Grimes, Feist, etc etc.

And we certainly did have Spanish explorers here. I'm not sure of the politics behind why their legacy is so different in Canada than the French, but I live near the Juan de Fuca strait, and visit Tofino every summer.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

I just had my N when I moved away from BC (the 2nd level of licensing), and so was given a similar level license in Ontario (G1, maybe?). When I moved back to BC I was fully expecting to have to slap on an N again (magnet on the back of the car, indicating my vehicular immaturity, nevermind that I had been driving for several years). The lady at the licensing office handed me a full license. I wasn't going to say anything, but then mentioned that I'd never taken the 2nd road test. She said 'congratulations on finding a loophole'. It was awesome. I saved 100 dollars by living in Ontario for 6 years!

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The mayors nickname is "Mayor Moonbeam" fer christ sakes.

I think that's a West Coast tradition. The current mayor of Victoria has the exact same nickname.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Isn't the Go Train worth considering if we're talking about the GTA? Is it reliable/affordable?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Fuckstick posted:

People in this thread say that BC residents have a PNW accent, but some people we some with had a decidedly British sounding accent. A friend of ours in Seattle said they were probably from Victoria. Does someone from Victoria actually sound that different?

There's a neighbourhood in Victoria called 'Oak Bay', and it's an old-money, fancy part of town, and some people from there affect an upper class accent. Yes, it is quite obnoxious!

https://www.oakbaynews.com/news/uvic-prof-studies-victorias-british-accent/

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

I'm jealous I'll never get to feel nostalgia for the East Coast of Canada. It seems like such a magic place, and was first illuminated to me by Alistair Macleod's 'No Great Mischief' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Great_Mischief), which anyone who wants to dig into the region a bit more should consider reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwzRkjn86w

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Victoria has innumerable day hikes in driving distance from the city, and the circle route up to Port Renfrew and over to Lake Cowichan will let you see some incredible beaches, and giant trees. Horse culture is present here as well, so I'd imagine you could find some guided routes. Victoria has a great breakfast/coffee/donut/taco/foodtruck scene as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

PanzerSagan posted:

There is a Tim Horton's 13 mins away by foot. It has been there for as long as I can remember. We never went there. Both of my parents might as well have had coffee on an intravenous drip , they both hated Tim Horton's coffee. It was a curiosity, I don't remember any other locations although there must have been a few others. That all changed in the last 10-15 years. They are everywhere now and every six seconds there seems to be an ad espousing the latest diabetic inducing "coffee" beverage to the unsuspecting populace. There is nothing good about Tim Horton's. Its garbage. The main thing I hate though is the patriotic Canadian angle they exploit. I wish it would have stayed in the east. Born and raised in Vancouver FYI.

Agreed. It's terrible and sad we've collectively decided to make this lovely fast-food chain an integral part of our cultural identity.

• Locked thread