Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Disappointed that other Newfoundlander goons didn't mention Ernie's. Or E&E's Drive-in if you're a townie. Hands down the best fried chicken I've ever had. Mary browns is poo poo in a bucket in comparison.

E&E is very good, Sweet Newfie Kitchen (I fuckin hate that name) copied their chicken fingers and they are pretty close. Chicken shaggers they call em. That kinda food is my life, and I ate it everywhere when I was on the road for work. There was a really good place in Corner Brook I recently found out is closed now. I dont seem to recall anything else standing out a lot. I'd ask in each town where was good to eat, and especially when it came to pizza they'd be like "You gotta go here!" and it would end up being very underwhelming on times. I dont think I had one good slice of pizza outside the metro area.

I like that someone said Ontario for outdoorsy but all we have is "small town vibes". If you are the outdoors type, there is nothing here we dont have. And if you have to go on a lake to fish or get a boat ride? Might as well be in a bathtub. You can just show up here as a tourist, go near a fishing stage and if the skipper is around they'll probably offer to take you out for a jig. poo poo that would be a definite red flag precursor to abduction and murder anywhere else is an innocent friendly gesture here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mudder's Kitchen. May also be closed, but there was a little takeout in Torbay I used to go to by the same name, nice old guy ran it. Great for getting Sunday dinner, and the girl I was with at the time loved their mac & cheese as well. Here local to me there is a takeout in my hometown thats only open on weekends and usually Friday OR Saturday. But man, you go there and toss in a $10 bill and you get enough food for a hockey team.
There was one other place I remembered, in Harbor Breton, Scott's I believe if my memory serves going by google maps. I was a bit concerned when we pulled in and the ambulance out front, but it was just the EMTs in getting a mug up. Little known as well is how good Ches's fried chicken is. Most fish & chips places just use the same ol flavorless fish batter on their chicken but they have a different batter for it and its fuckin amazing.

Hey, they dont call me the colonel cause I'm some dumbass army guy

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One hidden gem the average tourist may not experience without the right connections are the old resettled communities. In the 60s, rather than extend roads and services to remote communities, the government began a program called "centralization" or "resettlement". Things like the post office, church and schools were removed from towns basically forcing people to move inland to "growth centers". This was (and continues to be) a very contentious issue for those affected. My dad is from one such town, my mothers roots are in another. These cannot be reached by road, and thus require passage by boat to get to. There has been a revival of sorts in recent years with many people with roots in these places building cabins in the old defunct communities. I probably haven't painted the most glamorous picture, but imagine this: From an already quaint, quiet town, you ship onboard a small fishing boat on a leisurely 15-20 minute cruise along the coastline. Along the coast you see rugged gray cliffs, and grand forest green hills span down to contrast the deep ocean blue you sail on. Fish and various species of birds are all around you as you make your way to a town that once housed many families and provided a livelihood that stemmed from the fishery. Now, only a few cabins remain, but in recent years you see new foundations being laid once more. Here you find a peace unlike anywhere else. For me personally, I know as soon as the boat pushes off from the wharf, "all cares will vanish". Its really the only time I know such peace of mind. No noise to be heard but the songs of the birds. The unsightly exhaust from factory smokestacks replaced by the gentle smoke coming from the chimney of a woodstove. Tie up your boat and come in for a drink. A song. A feed.

There is one family who lives there nearly all year round, living off the land. They buy sugar, milk, butter and liquor. The rest they farm and harvest themselves. 3 of their sons also have cabins nearby, and their grandchildren learn to fish and hunt as they did as children. You wont see any of this in brochures or those tourism ads on TV. No doubt, theres lots for the tourist to see within minutes of St. John's airport. And maybe I'm a little biased, but it doesn't compare to the life we know outside the city.

Holy gently caress I cant wait for it to warm up to get to the cabin again.

• Locked thread