Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I moved from Calgary to (metro) Vancouver and its really, really weird going downtown after 6pm. I usually forget what day/time it is, because there's.... people? Walking around? The Shoppers is open and the sun has set?????

I think part of the reason, aside from there being nothing there in downtown Calgary, is just that its such a pain to get around the city after 6. Taxis are stupid expensive, the train runs less frequently and its last run is fairly early even on weekends. The whole city's so spread out it takes forever to do anything and its just... a big town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

SPEAKING of really terrible songs about Alberta, have you ever heard the Alberta anthem that the province released in 2005 for the provincial centennial???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MQnTY0q8JE

it sucks

this is the country version, but when I was in high school band we (attempted) to play it and oh boy was it bad

so bad that when Ralph Klein visited our school for the centennial we didn't even play it and played something else instead

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

GREAT WHITE NORTH posted:

1. How was the transition to the metric system? I still encountered a few old-timers who would tell me distances in miles, but most of my Canadian acquaintances recognized both Metric and Imperial.

5. I remember seeing on a map a place in southern Alberta called "Buffalo-Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump and Interpretative Site" or something like that. Has anyone ever been there?

1. The Metric switch happened sometime in the late 70s, I think? Not sure entirely when, but my parents still use a weird mix of both. My dad will occasionally use Farenheit for temperature which confused me as a kid, as my mom went full Celsius. I get the occasional distance in miles, from anyone old enough to be around during the switch, but I'm used to conversion. School is almost 100% metric for anything, but includes lessons on conversions.

I hate imperial but I can use it. Mostly I hate the units that aren't really used much in common speech (eg. Slugs, pound-feet, mils) but that's not really someone random would talk about. Miles, inches, pounds and Farenheit.

5. I've been there and its rad. Its been a long time since I've been there, though. Lots and lots of buffalo bones. Its from the Blackfoot tribe (which I think wants to be called the Siksika, now?) and they would herd buffalo over the cliff as a hunting technique.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I dunno about suppliers, but given the choice between timmy's coffee and Micky D's, I'd choose the latter everytime. I think the switch happened before I started drinking coffee? Sometime in the late 90s?

I also noticed that Timmy's tastes different depending on where you are, probably because they don't filter the water very heavily? Water quality was ok everywhere I've been so its not a safety issue, just that Calgary's Timmy's will be more minerally than Vancouver's/Newfoundland's.

I got a small hot chocolate from Timmy's the xmas before last and I could barely finish it, it was so sweet. Terrible. But I don't like sweet drinks, really.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

There's a billboard between Edmonton and Grand Prairie for a Gas Station advertising that it has the best bathrooms for truckers on that stretch of road. That's my Alberta bill board story thanks bye

• Locked thread