Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

It's the 30th anniversary of the Black Friday tornado.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3636017/black-friday-edmonton-marks-sombre-30-year-anniversary-of-deadly-tornado/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Fuckstick posted:

Man I should’ve came to this thread before we took a trip to Vancouver. My wife and I are food tourists of a sort, and wherever we go we try to sample something we won’t find anywhere else. Only from reading this thread, it would seem we missed out on about the most Canadian thing you can do (Tim Hortons). We did manage to have breakfast at an A&W, which is unheard of in the states. I had a nice breakfast sandwich on a hamburger bun, and brought home some seasoning from there, which turned out to be nothing more than seasoning salt, but again, is unheard of in the states. We would like to come back there in May or June, as Vancouver in late November was downright wet and miserable. The wife enjoyed the shops in Gastown, a made it over to Canada Place and did the Flyover Canada, but the constant rain made kinda wrecked everything else, so we went back to Seattle. People in this thread say that BC residents have a PNW accent, but some people we some with had a decidedly British sounding accent. A friend of ours in Seattle said they were probably from Victoria. Does someone from Victoria actually sound that different?

A&W started doing all day breakfasts a little while back to compete with McDonalds. I often grabbed a bacon n' egger at the mall for lunch while I was in school.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Chatrapati posted:

I tend to conflate US Americans and Canadian Americans (and sometimes Mexican Americans to be honest) together. Are there any discernable cultural differences, other than national pride, between US Americans and Canadians? What about Canadians and British people?

We have a few unique words and phrases, but a lot of them don't see much use anymore, like chesterfield.

Like what was said above, there's a spectrum of culture.

quote:

I had some Nova Scotians stay with me once, and they had a very slight Scottish twang (at least to my ears). Is this unique to Nova Scotia? Are there other areas of Canada which have retained accents or dialects from the people who colonised the place?

In the town of Vegreville, I have a lot of family, and Vegreville happens to have a particular subtle accent. Probably because it's chock full of folks who descend from Ukrainian immigrants and Scandinavian immigrants. It's kind of like a Minnesotan accent, despite being quite aways away from Minnesota. I can usually pick up if someone is from there or the general area.

Some people still try to make traditional cultural foods "like Baba used to make" and people will make an event out of it, like lefse days, or kluub weekends. Someday, maybe I'll learn to make stuff like perogies or naleshnyky or naschenka properly. Cultural food has a whole festival dedicated to it on Heritage Day. But I imagine it's pretty similar in a lot of places in the states.

quote:

Do Canadians have any special connection to other ex-British colonies in the Americas? What about to Britain or France?

Turks and Caicos is still a British territory, but Canada has had it's eye on it for the last hundred years. Prime Minister Robert Borden wanted it to become part of Canada in 1917, but the British Prime Minister wouldn't have it. Most Canadians would be thrilled to have Turks and Caicos become Canadian because we want our own Hawaii dammit.

quote:

Where do Canadians like to go on holiday? What do Canadians generally like to do on holiday? I imagine lots of camping trips because of all the wilderness. Is there a clubbing destination which young adults go to?

People like to go out to a lake or a family cabin during a long weekend or something. Victoria Day long weekend is especially popular for that. Sometimes people do ski trips to the mountains in the winter, or regular trips to the mountains in the summer. One good vacation I had with my family when I was younger was when we drove down to BC and visited some hot springs.

Earlier this year there was a bit of a fiasco with Via Rail offering young people unlimited train travel across the country during July for $150. It was such a great deal and wonderful opportunity that absolutely everyone wanted in on it. Via Rail's website went down and their phones were busy for days. They ended up claiming that it was a limited offer (despite originally announcing it as unlimited) and had sold all the available tickets.

I would have killed for the chance to travel Canada by train so cheaply. I like trains far more than I like planes.

quote:

I was told either by an American or a Canadian (can't remember), that people in America don't travel and go to youth hostels. Is that true?

There's a few regular hostels in my city, but I've never seen a youth hostel. I don't know of anyone who travels across the country and stays anywhere but a camper, hotel/motel, or a friend/relative's place. It can be very inconvenient to travel if you don't have a car.

quote:

What do Canadians think of religion? I know in the USA and Mexico, christianity is still very popular. Do Canadians take religion seriously? Are there any native religion revivalist movements, and if there are, are these movements connected with nationalism?

Some places are more religious than others, particularly in small towns versus cities. I'm from a small town, but we never did any praying in school, and there was really no religious stuff beyond the odd Christmas play.

I currently work with a company that does work with various tribes involving teachings and bringing traditional teachings into the classroom. I recently redesigned a workshop brochure that was all about teaching pre-colonization parenting techniques, so there is a movement out there.

quote:

Do native groups want more autonomy? Do they consider themselves to be Canadian?

I'm not native, so I can't say what they want. I know some consider themselves Canadian and some don't. It all comes down to the individual.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Chatrapati posted:

I meant stuff like this. Instances where religion and nationalism can be tied together.

Thanks for answering all of my questions! I find Canada quite interesting because it's stereotyped on American TV shows quite a lot, but I don't get any exposure to it other than that. It's kind of odd to consider everything you know about a place is based on parody.

Actually. Do people care about that?

If you're interested in seeing a Canadian sitcom about rural Saskatchewan made by Canadians and for Canadians, look no further than Corner Gas.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL4ggMS6pKrd5pS70KWQdW5FkQYZ2PLIzR&v=TH0wQI0hUTE

Rural Alberta isn't much different.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Chatrapati posted:

I watched the first episode of this show and now feel like I could post my own 'Ask me about living in Alberta' thread. It isn't at all how I pictured Canada (basically, just a big forest).

Canada is full of a wide range of landscapes! You've got oceans on both ends, foresty type areas, tundras, mountains, some desert and lots and lots of flat prairies.

My city is pretty flat with the exception of a big river valley running through the city.

The running joke about Saskatchewan is that it is so flat that you can watch your dog run away for 3 days. The intro song to Corner Gas mentions this joke.

I have some relatives from B.C. and they drive out to our family farm every summer. One year, they decided to drive through Saskatchewan as well and said it was absolutely gruelling because of how flat and empty it is.

Despite this, Saskatchewan is a pretty popular location for fishing since they have a lot of lakes.

One of my favourite places is Drumheller, Alberta. When you drive there, there's a lot of flat prairie that suddenly opens up into a vast expanse of beautiful desert canyons. Drumheller has a wonderful dinosaur museum and the whole town is dinosaur themed with statues all around. Even the McDonalds has a big dinosaur mural on the inside.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Drumheller used to have this place called Reptile World that I originally thought was cool until I learned that the owner got dinged for multiple animal mistreatment cases. The Alberta SPCA seized hundreds of animals and the place was shut down nearly two years ago.

Yeah, I remember that. Apparently they didn't even have antivemon on site for their venomous snakes, which included a black mamba.

PT6A posted:

I'd been there as a kid, and I sort of remember the jarring change in landscape, but recently I flew there and it's even more striking from the air. It's a really abrupt transition, too -- I wasn't expecting that, I was sort of expecting a zone where the two landscapes kind of blend into each other, but nope!

There's also a lot of beautiful country that hardly anyone ever sees because it's so goddamn remote. When I went up to Peace River, it was just miles and miles of beautiful, rugged country with absolutely loving nothing in it. And it only gets less populated once you head north of Peace!

I can imagine it looks really cool from the air! The dramatic shift in landscape gets me every time.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Poutine has really exploded in popularity in recent years. Hell, you can even get it at McDonald's now. Some places are better than others for their poutine, but I've never been to Quebec, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing out on.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

How much lamer is Canada than the US? I've been to the states a few times and enjoyed it tremendously (so avoiding the problems that come with living there). Canada though seems like, I dunno, the North American version of Belgium or something.

What do you mean by "lame"?

And what's wrong with Belgium?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Edmonton's not the coolest city, but it does have a river valley running right through it with loads of trails. The river valley is the longest stretch of connected urban parkland in North America and is 20 times larger than Central Park. Because it runs through the middle, you can easily go on a two hour hike through forested areas and come out a few blocks away from a pub.

When I lived at my old apartment, we would often go on a hike to downtown through the river valley, have a few drinks and food at a pub, then head back home on the train.

In the river valley park system, there are 11 lakes, 14 ravines, and 22 major parks. After the development of a new bridge, we also now have an unintended beach.

There's lots of wildlife in the river valley, and you'll see the occasional warnings about bears or cougars spotted in certain areas. I've since moved further from downtown, but there are lot's of rabbits near my house and I just saw a coyote in the middle of my street the other night. It was a pretty big coyote too.

I have honestly seen far more wild animals since living in Edmonton than I did while growing up in a small, rural town.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm considering a trip up to Edmonton sometime early next year, like January or February. What is there to do that time of year?

There's an ice sculpture festival if you like ice sculptures. Otherwise, I can't think of much. I would recommend coming to Edmonton in June, July, or August instead, as those are peak festival months, and Edmonton is known as Festival City for a reason. There's the Art Walk, Fringe Festival, Taste of Edmonton, Heritage Days, etc... and there's outdoor activities like nature hikes, Fort Edmonton Park, and perusing the shops on Whyte Ave.

January and February are the worst months to come in my opinion. It's very cold, and driving conditions can be dangerous, especially if you aren't used to them. How would you be coming to Edmonton? Car, plane, Greyhound?

The only thing I would recommend for that time of year is exploring West Edmonton Mall. There's an amusement park, a water park, mini golf, arcades, a movie theatre, a sea lion show, an aquarium, a life sized replica of the Santa Maria and some exclusive stores. WEM could certainly keep you busy for a few days if you're interested in those kinds of activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

We recently went on a trip to Drumheller and hiked in Horseshoe Canyon for a bit. Apparently, they have guided horse tours in the canyons if you're interested in seeing a part of Canada that looks more like a Wild West movie. There's also a paeleontology museum if you're into that sort of thing. It's a small town that's a bit of a drive from the major cities, and due to the museum, it's full of dinosaur statues and gift shops. Near our hotel, there was a t-rex statue painted to look like Batman.

Whenever we'd go to Drumheller as a kid, we always just ate at McDonald's or Dairy Queen. This time, because it was just my husband and I, we went to a local diner, local pub and a Waffle House that has a toy train filled with action figures running above the tables. It was a lot of fun!

As a huge dinosaur nerd, Drumheller is my favourite place, but if you want to do some great hiking in Canada, B.C. is definitely the place to go. Mountains, wilderness, the ocean and a major city. Vancouver is beautiful and I highly recommend it as a place to travel to.

• Locked thread