Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GREAT WHITE NORTH
Feb 23, 2010
Greetings, my northern neighbors, from Alaska, the Great White North(west)! Your descriptions of the rural provinces remind me a lot of traveling through the road system of Alaska, which can become a seemingly endless range of black spruce, birch trees, and near-identical rivers, lakes, and streams. That said, I enjoyed everything about my motorcycle jaunts except having my wallet stolen in Dease Lake, BC. The rest of the trips were golden though. I've traveled through the Yukon, BC, and bits of Alberta on the way to the States, and I have a few questions:

1. How was the transition to the metric system? I still encountered a few old-timers who would tell me distances in miles, but most of my Canadian acquaintances recognized both Metric and Imperial.

2. Why is everyone rippin' on Tim Hortons? I'm just curious, as my experience with Tim's has been better than any American fast food chain, and I seriously crave their Tim Bits.

3. With the Arctic sea-ice melting, has their been any increased effort to reinforce Canada's claim in the Arctic (ie more naval stations, ice breakers, etc)? We're fussing about it in Alaska, and I suspect we'll just talk about it until Russian and Chinese vessels start cruising through the Bering Strait on a regular basis.

4. What's the national take on Justin Treadeau?

5. I remember seeing on a map a place in southern Alberta called "Buffalo-Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump and Interpretative Site" or something like that. Has anyone ever been there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GREAT WHITE NORTH
Feb 23, 2010
Ah, what a bummer to hear about Tim Horton's! Just curious, does anyone know offhand when that change happened? I was there six years ago and thought the donuts at the location in Whitehorse, YT were super-great. I suppose I'll go to the Half-Baked Bakery in Whitehorse instead next time I go east.

Also, I really want to visit that Bison Jump. You had me at "The visitor center has a life-size diorama inside of buffalo leaping to their deaths." That sounds as :black101: as all get-out.

• Locked thread