Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

WhatEvil posted:

So a couple of people mentioned Ottawa and I thought I'd take a look at houses:

https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Home-For-Sale/ON/Ottawa/Riverside-South/724-Bowercrest-Crescent/54415818.html

This looks great for the money. In my area this would be something like $950k CAD. Does the area/location seem OK?

Depends on the job. Commute to downtown from there wouldn’t be too bad, but if you’re going east or west (most tech jobs will be either west or downtown) it might be a bit of a long commute. Transit from there isn’t going to be good, so you’ll need to drive.

Otherwise it’s a suburb, and if you’re ok living in one there’s nothing wrong with it. Not a lot of character but you get a lot of house.

At that price range you could get something in the city that not as big but still nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah suburbs are fine. There seem to be comparable places on the west side of downtown (Like Kanata area?) but to get to the same price point you have to go a bit further out (so 25 mins drive instead of 15 mins drive on the East) but that'd be fine.

I just can't get over how much house you get for the money there: https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Home-For-Sale/ON/Ottawa/Kanata-Goulbourn/Glen-Cairn/127-Romina-Street/53702647.html That 4 bed house is about the same cost as what I'm hoping to get selling my tiny 2-bed flat here in the UK, and I'm not in a big city or anything.

We have a lot of space, so we expand out a fair bit and houses get pretty big.

Ottawa also has the highest median income in Canada because of all the government jobs. It's a good place to live & raise a family and stuff.

Note that it can be pretty french depending where you live. South and West are almost all English, East can be like living in Quebec. French can also be relevant for some jobs, particularly government.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's very doable. Not perfect, but not a terrible idea at all.

Where you'll have trouble isn't day to day life, it's work. You'd need to work in an industry or at least company where being primarily English isn't an issue.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have family from Montreal who literally never learned to speak French, despite living there for 50+ years. There are parts of Montreal where it's completely optional.

• Locked thread