Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
You ever been to st. albert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
What do you think of Calgary?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

I think in a lot of cases, the situation in First Nations communities across the country is basically the ultimate proof that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Most of the things that have hosed the First Nations over so thoroughly weren't done out of malice, but the combination of unintended consequences and the fact that most people just don't care at all enough to do anything about the problems mean that things worked out terribly.

I dunno, I think residential schools bar-none did the most damage to native communities and their explicit purpose was to stamp out the native kids cultures. Plenty of First Nations policy was created from the perspective of "these people are inferior", so "good intentions" were hosed up from the beginning.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah basically what Bloody Hedgehog said. Most people generally agree that he's Better than the Last Guy unless they're bumpkins from Alberta or northern BC.

lol the worst place in Canada vis a vis nutso conservatism is the Niagara Peninsula

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Vancouver has been a city for like a hundred years so there's no such thing as local food. If you want to eat like heritage Vancouverites you need to be eating like fleabitten Edwardian loggers.

BC grows a lot of apples and the local cultivars are tasty I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Earwicker posted:

what is a good distinctive food of Vancouver or BC?

The local sushi places experiment with rolls a lot, but I don't know if they're actually unique.

SpacePope posted:

McDonald's been serving poutine in Quebec for a really long time. They simply had to expand it to the rest of the country I guess.

Edit : Also, it sucks and it's bad poutine.

It ranks higher than some of the terrible food truck poutine i've had

• Locked thread