Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

tuyop posted:

I wonder why more Vancouverites don't hop over to Halifax. It's just like Vancouver but with 10% of the costs, natural beauty, and hope! In the late 2000s I was making around 35k with parttime work and my rent was $650/month for a mid scale downtown high rise apartment that would cost three times as much in Edmonton. You can live in Dartmouth and buy a beautiful house near like six lakes and the ferry for <200k. It's ridiculous.

I wouldn't say its like Vancouver at all, for one thing you don't have an IKEA. I grew up in Vancouver but went to school in Halifax for *reasons*. Things I noticed while studying there; Asian food is sparse, the weather is really horrid compared to the mild Vancouver weather, and nearly everything is closed on Sunday. Admittedly you are right about the rent, and wages but I'm just not entirely convinced and I don't think I would ever move out there. I greatly prefer living in the west, and I don't really plan on moving further east then Saskatchewan unless my job advancement prospects don't pan out. Working in Calgary right now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

tuyop posted:

Not trying to be defensive but the IKEA is opening soon and Sunday shopping is pretty much universal now! I also don't know how many hundreds of thousands of dollars having an extra five or six sushi or Thai places is worth to you, in housing costs, but that's a strange metric. Especially when Saskatchewan is preferable.

I would totally believe ~culture~ as a reason, though. The whole region is hopelessly conservative and fatalistic about progress and that really fucks with lots of hard to quantify quality of life stuff.

Yeah I guess you hit the nail on the head. It's the culture that is hard to get used to coming from vancouver to the Maritimes. Not everyone can do it.

• Locked thread