Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How do you feel about the marketing rebrand of Kraft Dinner to just "KD"? Do you have your kraft dinner with a hot dog and/or ketchup?

When was the last time you went to Harvey's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How strong is the anti-toronto sentiment in Edmonton? Did any of that change after the economic collapse surrounding the oil industry? How was trudeau's election received in alberta, given it remained conservative?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

There's a reason people talk about cascadia as a thing, but that leads into discussions on north american regional politics and that's fun for no one.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

1) How do you feel about the 150th?

2) How do you feel about the "we shouldn't celebrate 150 years of canada because of how poorly the natives were treated" sentiment?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Nessa posted:

I'm excited about the 150th! It's a monumental year!

I've been seeing some of those "gently caress the 150th" Facebook posts lately. I think it's important to understand the atrocities that our country has committed in it's past and work towards a better future, but I don't think that's any reason to "gently caress the 150th". There is no country in the world that isn't guilty of many horrible things. The best we can do is understand how wrong they were and do our best to right them. We still have many issues to work through as a nation and those need to be talked about more so we can come up with better solutions. i want us to be a better Canada in the future.

I still think it's worth celebrating Canada's 150th. It's a time for us to come together as a nation and celebrate the stories and work of Canadians, and the natural beauty of our country.

This is a good post. I'm going to play ball hockey in Trafalgar Square.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There will be big parties and celebrations and stuff, but on a general national level, it's mostly "Huh, 150? 150 what?" People will use it more as an excuse to party than to celebrate some historical milestone.

And again, on a general national level, people don't really care about any negative sentiment about it because of treatment of natives. I honestly feel that native sentiment has gotten worse over time in this country. 30 years ago at worst it was a non-issue because no one thought about it, now people hear and see it more, but people are all "Oh, you had it tough? That sucks. How's your free everything treating you these days? Suck it up, buttercup." It only looks progressive on the surface because politicians are handing out apologies like candy, and various studies and inquiries are constantly going on into those issues. The general populace wears their forced smiles and tolerance hats, but won't hesitate to bitch about native canadians in private company.

That's probably the blackest mark on this country right now, that people still generally don't give a poo poo about native rights, and are actively not trying to get any better about it either.

Reminds me of the ITT: we are canadians in GBS. Someone posted something along the lines of "is quiet and polite until you bring up the natives, then they become the most racist person you know".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

flakeloaf posted:

But at least they still have the full protection of a fair court system and the rule of law

(via CanPol) https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/04/02/a-final-indignity-for-cindy-gladue-dimanno.html :nms:

I got as far as the byline and stopped. gently caress Rosie Dimanno, she's a poo poo writer.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MANime in the sheets posted:

It's almost like being exposed to things makes you more tolerant and understanding.

Regarding 'eh' chat, I've visited Canada twice. I don't remember hearing it but once or twice in Toronto, but I heard it a fair bit in Hamilton and even the Sabres game I went to in Buffalo. I hear it more from people that grew up in Wisconsin or Minnesota. Same with 'aboat' and the like. It seems more regional than 'Canadian' to me.

aboot seems a lot more east coast. aboat was much more toronto-windsor corrdor to me. eh was definitely in toronto.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jyrraeth posted:

Terrible song

Please tell me that ain't corb lund. Should've let the arrogant worms do it.
Also, Canadians answering questions, thoughts on the golden knights? Everything from the expansion draft, to 31 teams (almost balanced) to how lovely their name is.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

Canadian here. Southern Ontario reprazent! West syde GTA, and Niagara area for lyfe!

I've always looked at those as three separate areas.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mak0rz posted:

The Tim's coffee lids are an abomination and I hate them. They used to package their wraps in normal paper. I stopped buying them once they switched to those idiotic boxes.

Last time I was in you could ask for the other type of lids and they'd give them to you

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Native rights is always a mess, the only way I've ever seen discussion on it not end in a fight is when people say "it's messy. They've been treated badly and there's no easy solution"
Smudging can be a good example of how a discussion gets ugly quick. Or taxation. Or reserves. Or anything really.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The one true answer.

Where do buttertarts come from? They're great and I was amazed that other countries didn't have them.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cat Wings posted:

Pizza pops are the true Canadian cuisine.

E: and Kraft dinner

Pizza pops were great. Kraft dinner was good, but I've been told it's been one-upped by pc white Mac and cheese. Always gotta out that hot dog in it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mak0rz posted:

I'm one of those weirdos that preferred Pizza Pockets to Pizza Pops.

Pockets tended to have better filling (actual pepperoni) but pops definitely had a more satisfying pastry.

I ate a lot of these as a child.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Canada is so big we seldom bother to go see one another.

A quick tourist guide:

I hate Newfoundland because they talk so weird
Prince Edward Island is too small
Nova Scotia's dumb because it's the name of a bank
New Brunswick doesn't have a good mall
Quebec is revolting and it makes me mad
Ontario sucks
Manitoba's population density is 2 people per square kilometre, and that's stupid
Saskatchewan is boring and the people are old
The territories are too cold
The only good thing about B.C. is that it's next to Alberta.
Alberta doesn't suck (but Calgary does)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Multiple Europeans have asked me about moving to Hamilton. Each time I get caught off guard because why would they want to go there?

• Locked thread