Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nessa posted:

Please ask me any questions you have about living in Canada or being Canadian! I can only really speak to my experiences living in urban and rural Alberta, so I welcome folks from other parts of the country to chime in as well.

I've spent a couple days in Edmonton. Nice town. Reminds me of parts of Texas in a lot of ways. My question is: where is "urban Alberta"?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what are the basic Canadian accents? I know about the Newfie accent, the Quebecois accent, and the one where they say "surry" and "oatside" I guess that's Ontario? people in western Canada seemed to have the same accent as most of the western US.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

as an American I'm glad there is so much room up there. see yall soon!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DavidAlltheTime posted:

And we certainly did have Spanish explorers here. I'm not sure of the politics behind why their legacy is so different in Canada than the French, but I live near the Juan de Fuca strait, and visit Tofino every summer.

They explored but never colonized the western coast of Canada (and Alaska), because by the time they got to that area they were already stretched very thin and starting to fall apart as a global power. And the British were already much stronger in that area. So, there were definitely a few individual Spaniards in what is now Canada but there are no parts of Canada with a history of Spanish settlement as in much of the US and the rest of the Americas. And so there was never much reason for large numbers of Spanish people to emigrate to Canada the way there was for the actual Spanish colonies.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

is the average Canadian proud of Rush, or embarrassed by them?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Scudworth posted:

You know how only certain people from certain areas of America say "y'all"? It's the same with "eh".
Same people, too.

(Hicks. I'm taking about hicks.)

y'all is not at all just a "hick" thing in the US though

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Scudworth posted:

since my immediate image of a person who says y'all was someone wearing a confederate flag tshirt

honestly thats a really strange impression to have, even for a Canadian

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nessa posted:

I used to think the same way because I associated Texas with "the south". I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other people did too. We don't get taught much American history here, so most of what we know of the American civil war comes from pop culture.

:confused:

you really don't have to know anything at all about Texas or the Civil War to know that "hicks" aren't the only people who say "y'all" - I mean yes the expression did originate in the south but it's also very common outside of the south, and it is frequently associated with black people/aave which is why its really weird to assume that anyone using it would be "in a confederate uniform"

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 22, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nessa posted:

I'm just saying I thought people from Texas said "y'all" and that Texas was "the south".

You might be able to blame The Beverly Hillbillies for people linking "y'all" with "hicks".

That show went off the air in like the 70's.

I guess I assumed Canadians were importing more of our pop culture than you actually are but still, have you never even listened to like a Drake song? Drake is Canadian and even he says y'all. I don't think most people in the US consider it mainly a "Texan thing".

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 22, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

In the US we consider it to have been a tie, but the war is barely taught even here.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 22, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah but the Brits burned the white house down so its true that they came out of it with more Victory Points

in the US the war is mostly famous for the song about it (our national anthem) and for the battle that was fought after the war official ended (New Orleans), and also for being the "the one with the song with the cannons" which is actually a Russian music about Napoleon's invasion but you know what, we'll take it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I live just outside Vancouver, so if anyone has any questions on how much Vancouver sucks, I can help.

The answer to all questions about Vancouver is "it sucks".

ok I'll bite, I've only visited the city briefly a few times but I found it by far the most enjoyable city in Canada, really beautiful, lots of good food, good weed, amazing mountains all around, the people seemed nice, only bad thing was the prices everywhere. Why does it suck?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

EDIT: And you know, it's not all that great for tourists as well. My sister used to work for the terminal where the cruise ships let off, and the number one piece of feedback from travelers coming back to their ships was along the lines of ".... Vancouver was boring and a waste of time." The first thing tourists are funneled into in Vancouver is Gastown. Historic Gastown! Where it's 1% history and 99% shops selling gift bottles of maple syrup, canadian flags, and knockoff native art.

well that part at least is not the fault of the city as a whole, it's the fault of the specific agency that is doing that. There is a ton of great stuff to do in Vancouver for visitors if you aren't being shuttled around by someone else, I always wish I had more time there. also these are cruise ship passengers you are talking about so someone needs to keep them all together and easily trackable which is probably why they are funneled to the generic tourist area.

but yeah that is interesting info about the cost of living. Why is it so expensive there, like where do most people there make so much money? I have heard from a few friends that the music scene is being killed by this, which really sucks, I love a lot of Skinny Puppy related projects that have ties there

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I think that's a West Coast tradition. The current mayor of Victoria has the exact same nickname.

it was also a popular nickname for the governor of California, Jerry Brown, during his first two terms in the 70's (he's governor again now but I think the nickname is no longer much in use)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's true that west of the rockies is just different, but really I think it boils down to being the least "Canadian" part of the country. People here aren't all that "rah rah Canada" to begin with, and most of the Canadian stereotypes and mannerisms don't really have a foothold here, at least compared to east of the Rockies.

I swear, the US could annex BC, and there would be an uproar for about a week, and then everyone would be fine with it once they got their hands on some decent currency for once. There's very little that ties the hearts and minds of the average British Columbian to the rest of Canada.

as an American our east coast/west coast dynamic is not too different from this. I grew up in California but I've lived on the east coast off and on for over a decade, and it's the same thing where the east coast is the source of most of the well known American stereotypes whether they are "yankees" or "southerners" etc., people here are substantially more patriotic (you would never see a Californian town covered in American flags like you see in New England or the Mid Atlantic), and it's basically the land of the typical "white picket fence" ideal American suburb life depicted in Rockwell paintings and that sort of thing

I would say that to some extent BC and states like Washington, Oregon and parts of northern California have more in common with each other than they all do with the rest of the US or Canada.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 7, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I live in San Diego, and I dispute this claim.

San Diego is a bit different compared to the rest of CA because it's such a military town but even so, it's still nowhere near as covered in Patriotic Americana as a typical Connecticut small town

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

well yeah anywhere in the US is still going to have more flags than Canada, I was just comparing east vs west within the US

the huge 6 foot flags you saw were most likely car dealerships, generally speaking they use substantially larger flags than those used for actual official purposes or for actual patriotic decoration, thats a common thing in suburbs everywhere in the US

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 8, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It would be sort of like the UK using a ton of Roman imagery in their national identity

thats kind of an absurd stretch considering that native Canadian populations still actually exist today whereas the Romans left Britain in the 5th century (and openly considered themselves invaders/colonizers in the first place)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Those native populations do still exist, yes, but good look finding many Canadians who've ever actually met a native canadian in their entire lives. Native peoples REALLY keep to the reservations in Canada, and there are not many of them to begin with, so most people have never interacted with them at all.

I'm American and I've met native Canadians in several places across Canada just by travelling, and know plenty of non-native Canadians who interact with natives regularly, sure they are a relatively small population but comparing them to an empire that hasn't existed for centuries is kind of ridiculous, and a lot of what you are talking about (use of symbology etc) can be directly traced to the fact that they do indeed still exist and still live in Canada. if they had all disappeared centuries ago like the Romans you probably wouldn't see so much usage of their symbols.

On top of that, a huge number of countries do still use many Roman symbols as part of their national identity, including the US. We literally wave around flag polls with eagles on top of them, use the fasces as a symbol of unity and strength of state, etc.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MANime in the sheets posted:

the only obvious tell I saw that is was not shot locally was when Scully one time called it "The 66". In these parts, we just call them "66" or "95".

Using "the" in front of highway/freeway numbers is specifically a thing that people from LA do, no one else in America really does that either. (on the east coast we use proper names instead of the numbers, ex "the Van Wyck, "the Taconic")

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 24, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MANime in the sheets posted:

In the NE, maybe. I've lived just outside DC my whole life, and if the interstates 95, 66, 295, 395, and 495 actually have names, I have no clue what they are. For the most part this is true with US and a lot of state routes, too. Route 1, 7, 28, 29, 50, 234, 301, etc.

This might be because they sometimes change names in places, but if I told someone from this area to take Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway, I'd get some pretty strange looks.

its not every highway just some of them and yeah maybe its just the NE, I grew up in northern California and it was the same as you describe - but now I live in NYC and here 495 is locally called the LIE (Long Island Expressway), and 95 has different names in different sections, like part of it people call "the Hutch" (for Hutchinson River Parkway).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Spadoink posted:

I think most Canadians would be shocked to realize the amount of time, effort, manpower and money sunk into ensuring we maintain our Artic claim. Not just from the Russians but apparently things can get a little testy with Denmark as well. There is a constant physical presence from the Army and Navy, at least as much as possible given the size of the landmass/sea, because it is well acknowledged by the military and the gov that if the area goes unpeopled for very long there will be a foreign presence there claiming rights within the blink of an eye.

Is there a lot of money in the fishing in these regions, or is there oil or some other valuable resource? or is it just the strategic location?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure what "Vancouver cuisine" could even mean. There are quite a few Indian + East Asian fusion restaurants around that might fit that bill.

I had a really nice sort of Japanese/Canadian breakfast once in a little place that seemed very uniquely Vancouver

but mainly the best thing to eat there is sushi and sashimi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what is a good distinctive food of Vancouver or BC?

• Locked thread