Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Earwicker posted:

In the US we consider it to have been a tie, but the war is barely taught even here.

We're no strangers to revisionism either. In our version, the Boer War was an heroic intervention and an important nation-building moment that will forever be a source of pride in our fighting men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

But at least they still have the full protection of a fair court system and the rule of law

(via CanPol) https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/04/02/a-final-indignity-for-cindy-gladue-dimanno.html :nms:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I knew more than a few Native guys in the military who looked like Aryan poster boys.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

This American Life had a short segment in an episode about a guy who was a little too into the song and had an existential crisis after learning about it:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/520/no-place-like-home

:stare: Wow. I had the Rochester WOKR-13 version burned into my brain from a childhood's worth of Saturday morning cartoons. First I've heard of this.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Please tell me that ain't corb lund. Should've let the arrogant worms do it.
Also, Canadians answering questions, thoughts on the golden knights? Everything from the expansion draft, to 31 teams (almost balanced) to how lovely their name is.

Financially the team should do well because their tickets will pretty much always sell out. I'm not sure what kind of fanbase they can grow in a town where most of the spending money comes from somewhere else, but dedicated fans of nearby teams will love the subsidized flights.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

WhatEvil posted:

Where's a good place to live? Our criteria are:

I've lived in Ottawa most of my life and it sounds like you've described home, or at least one of its suburbs, to me.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 7, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

If it wasn't so drat expensive I'd really say to visit a bunch of your prospective cities and see if you like the vibe.

This is good advice for Canadians generally, and more of us should do it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

They're fun because you can yell and curse at them in public if you're having a lovely day and people will be happy about it. It's very cathartic.

I'd honestly never thought about doing this because it's the same two old crazies now standing the provincially-mandated 51 metres from the door, and I figure they'd be much happier for the attention than they would be sad about the tirade. Like a dog that barks at nothing because he knows you'll come pay attention to him for a while.

Oh, and the best part about living in Canada is that nobody can legally make you acknowledge the existence of the easter bunny.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah suburbs are fine. There seem to be comparable places on the west side of downtown (Like Kanata area?) but to get to the same price point you have to go a bit further out (so 25 mins drive instead of 15 mins drive on the East) but that'd be fine.

I just can't get over how much house you get for the money there: https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Home-For-Sale/ON/Ottawa/Kanata-Goulbourn/Glen-Cairn/127-Romina-Street/53702647.html That 4 bed house is about the same cost as what I'm hoping to get selling my tiny 2-bed flat here in the UK, and I'm not in a big city or anything.

K.

Bus service in Ottawa is fantastic from suburb to downtown, okay in an east-west direction, merely passable going north-south and "gently caress it I'll just not go" suburb-to-suburb. There are exceptions but that's the general rule. With monthly parking being about twice the price of a bus pass, and the rush hour drive prone to occasional fits, lots of downtown workers don't bother with cars. Winter driving in Ottawa's a bit of a treat; if you're timid you might want to consider a course.

You'll hear Ottawans bitching about "dangerous" areas but if you're not into slinging drugs or racial slurs at people, you're not likely to have those sorts of problems yourself. There are good and bad (by our tame standards) parts of town of course, but nobody's going to just randomly hoof your door in or shoot at your car. Get on street view and take a drive up Walkley Road, or up Montreal Rd west of Blair to Dalhousie and you'll get a look at the places many of us would prefer not to live in, but I'd have no problem walking around there at any hour and I'm definitely no badass.

The house you saw on Bowercrest is in Riverside South, right next to the "Limebank speedway", so you might hear bikes and hondas tearing up and down it at indecent hours. It's also within earshot of the airport (look northeast). I wouldn't be happy there because it's too far from the highway.

Romina Street is technically in Stittsville, which was the "on my god it's rural here now" place until about ten years ago when the west end ran out of room and sorta moved in. It's not THAT far out there, you're pretty close to both the rink and the highway, which is good. My mom used to live out that way, they've got all the big box and chain stores that make living work, but if you wanna go out and play golf you can do without having to go buy gas first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It's already gender neutral let's just make that our anthem

• Locked thread