Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

tuyop posted:

Absolutely. I've taken a six month course in Cree, taught at two schools with over 90% FNMI populations, and specialized in aboriginal ed in university with mostly native faculty. My boss is a First Nations woman who specializes in Cree language instruction, has a PhD in aboriginal education, all that, and I'm still kind of... surprised, I guess, when I hear her speaking cree or talking about being native when it comes up because I just don't see it, despite all my exposure and understanding. The same goes for the Cree teacher here, it just doesn't enter my awareness most of the time.

It's almost like being exposed to things makes you more tolerant and understanding.

Regarding 'eh' chat, I've visited Canada twice. I don't remember hearing it but once or twice in Toronto, but I heard it a fair bit in Hamilton and even the Sabres game I went to in Buffalo. I hear it more from people that grew up in Wisconsin or Minnesota. Same with 'aboat' and the like. It seems more regional than 'Canadian' to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Nessa posted:

Yeah, I've read about that!

Haha, that guy actually asked me if Canada had gothic and Greek style architecture like the US has. I don't know what kinds of differences he expected between American and Canadian cities. He was all "Are these two countries... linked somehow??? What is the link? Oh, so the link is England?"

lol.

Also, X-Files was shot in BC, rather than mostly in and around DC. Aside from one episode that supposedly took place where I.grew up but looked nothing like the area, the only obvious tell I saw that is was not shot locally was when Scully one time called it "The 66". In these parts, we just call them "66" or "95".

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Earwicker posted:

Using "the" in front of highway/freeway numbers is specifically a thing that people from LA do, no one else in America really does that either. (on the east coast we use proper names instead of the numbers, ex "the Van Wyck, "the Taconic")

In the NE, maybe. I've lived just outside DC my whole life, and if the interstates 95, 66, 295, 395, and 495 actually have names, I have no clue what they are. For the most part this is true with US and a lot of state routes, too. Route 1, 7, 28, 29, 50, 234, 301, etc.

This might be because they sometimes change names in places, but if I told someone from this area to take Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway, I'd get some pretty strange looks.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Gully Foyle posted:

I'd look into Hamilton. It's medium-sized (~500k), but close to Toronto for your airport/concert needs. The housing is a bit more expensive than it used to be, but nowhere near the shitshow that is Toronto or Vancouver. It has a poor reputation as a dirty steel city, but it's a lot nicer than generally given credit for, and is improving continually (though the steel city part is still true). Lots of nice hiking in and around the city if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Plenty of engineering consulting firms in the GTA too. You can go to Blue Mountain (not really a mountain) for skiing with about a 2 hour drive, though of course it's nothing near as good as Quebec or BC skiing.

This was what I was thinking when reading the requirements. You're less than an hour out of Toronto and Buffalo, and from what I saw Hamilton isn't that bad, the people are friendly and there is plenty of shopping. I can't comment on housing prices though; I've never looked because I will probably never be able to afford a house anyway.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
The Toronto thread in the LAN forum might be a good place to ask also, lots of weirdos that like doing things outside there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
drat, that makes me want to go hiking, and I get winded walking from my car to my first floor apartment

• Locked thread