Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Poil posted:

Oh yeah, if I was in a someone wanted into my laptop and threatened to cut off my finger situation I would just unlock it for them and tell them any passwords. No hesitation whatsoever. :ohdear:

Rubber hose cryptography, where you beat the guy with a rubber hose until they tell you their password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Video 7. This one is pretty much just catching up on some side mission-y type stuff.

07 - The Metagrid (polsy)

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 20, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Has anyone tried to calculate the actual mass and musculature Faith would need to do this level of parkour?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The game volume seemed a bit low this time around, maybe it was just me.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't know if it's just how the audio in the game is, but it sounds like all the game sounds are happening inside a tin can.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

PurpleXVI posted:

It looks like I accidentally double autoducked or something. I'm going to fix it and re-upload.

edit: New version is up.

Chunky Monkey posted:

I don't know if it's just how the audio in the game is, but it sounds like all the game sounds are happening inside a tin can.

Not really sure about this one. The game sound seems to be just like it is in-game.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 20, 2017

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Not really sure about this one. The game sound seems to be just like it is in-game.

Might just be the sound design then. It just sounds oddly muffled, like everything is happening in another room or something. It's really hard to describe.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Time for another main mission, a really cool one. And we finally meet that guy everyone's been talking about.

08 - Benefactor (polsy)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
A face to put behind the name; based on what we had heard earlier (which was pretty much just his name) I had been expecting some stereotypical fat, greasy Russian mobster; not our (admittedly just as stereotypical) Yakuza boss instead. Kinda weird that this world would even have 'organized' crime given that giant corporations control everything and I doubt they have much of a problem doing all the questionable and illegal work themselves. You'd think a company that had the money and influence to build a skyscraper that big would have no problem rounding up Dogan and all his men, then sending them to a food dome where they'd only leave as the food. We could even take it a step further and wonder aloud what the difference between KrugerSec and your typical mafia protection racket is but that's a little too close to teenage edgelord territory.

The view from that crane was nice though, should've hung around until the sun set. Bet it would've been quite cyberpunk-y.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Dogen seems... surprisingly okay? Dangerous, but unless you're dumb enough to make a deal with him you can't carry through, probably not a danger to you.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

What happens if you just hang out on top of the skyscraper?

As soon as you started running around the outside of the skyscraper and on top of that crane, I started feeling sick to my stomach. That's a looooong way to fall.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Zonko_T.M. posted:

What happens if you just hang out on top of the skyscraper?

As soon as you started running around the outside of the skyscraper and on top of that crane, I started feeling sick to my stomach. That's a looooong way to fall.

If you stick around after the tuned mass damper falls then the building just continues to shake. There's no danger of it collapsing or anything and there's no time limit for getting out.

One of the fun things the game does is make the camera start lurching against your control when you get up on the crane. It's hard to get a feel for it without playing because you can't tell what's being controlled and what isn't.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that Callaghan Construction was also present in the first Mirror's Edge, same logo and everything. In the first game it was owned by the current mayor of the city, now it's just another corporation.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Why does everyone go with Icarus in these games? Why not Daedalus?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Samovar posted:

To be fair, in Deus Ex MJ-12 only went with Icarus after project Daedalus went completely out of control. And project Icarus was completely successful!

Just goes to show!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Samovar posted:

OH MY GOD I KNOW

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Now announcing our grand project, the Icarus Titanic Challenger Exxon Valdez!"

White Coke
May 29, 2015
A project sure to last a thousand years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Samovar posted:

In Saints Row 3 they named the flying aircraft carrier Daedalus. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sci-fi things being named Talos is the new Sci-fi things being named Icarus, these days, it seems.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, that video almost made me queasy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The shaky effect they added on the crane arm was downright mean.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

CJacobs posted:

Sci-fi things being named Talos is the new Sci-fi things being named Icarus, these days, it seems.

You know, I wonder if the writers who come up with these things are aware of the legends behind the names and if they pick them because they have some deeper meaning, or if they're just using them because they sound cool. Really wouldn't surprise me if it was half and half. And in the case of it being the former, writers really need to stop foreshadowing like a cudgel.

If you want to crank it up to 11 we can guess on what's next for Faith after this reboot; maybe she gets her mother's memento and flees Glass, crosses the continent and ends up in the tranquil city of Roanoke which was seemingly untouched by whatever devastated the rest of the country. There she meets the city's well liked but enigmatic mayor know as Lucifer Cain who enlists her to obtain a device code named Pandora's Box. Once she is in possession of the device she must make sure if safely reaches Dr. Hamartia so that they can make sure everyone in the city is "taken care of" for the rest of their lives. On an unrelated note, the city motto is: Contritionem praecedit superbia.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 2, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Samovar posted:

Has anyone tried to calculate the actual mass and musculature Faith would need to do this level of parkour?
Faith likely weighs 90 pounds soaking wet which I'm guessing would be the excuse for half the improbable falls she can tumble out of or take no damage by landing on a tarp or garbage bags.

Real life sucks because the cool batman-style line-guns would pretty much just yank your arm right out of its socket unless it was attached to a frame that was in turn attached to your center of mass.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
She's literally a cat.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
It's been a while, but I think I liked Dogen the most of all the new characters. As for falling, I'm sad they took out the splat (and falling all the way until you hit the ground), but the tumble they added... that really hits me right in the vertigo, so I'd call it a wash on how horrifying the fall is now compared to before.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Faith likely weighs 90 pounds soaking wet which I'm guessing would be the excuse for half the improbable falls she can tumble out of or take no damage by landing on a tarp or garbage bags.

But even at about 90 pounds for... I'm guessing at top 5'6", you'd have a ridiculously low body fat index. Surely some body fat is useful for cushioning blows...? Although, I readily confess I am no anatomist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It does always make me laugh that media can only portray Aspergers characters like the way they do this one. At least it's pretty accurate this time.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Samovar posted:

But even at about 90 pounds for... I'm guessing at top 5'6", you'd have a ridiculously low body fat index. Surely some body fat is useful for cushioning blows...? Although, I readily confess I am no anatomist.

That must be why most freerunners and parkour enthusiasts in real life have such large amounts of body fat...?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So you may have noticed that I didn't post a new video yesterday. Turns out we had some technical difficulties while trying to record commentary for the next set of videos. We're working on getting it fixed, but in the meantime I'm not here completely empty-handed. I realized that I've mentioned the news broadcasts a couple times, and decided that it would have been a good idea to somehow include them so you guys can see what I'm talking about. So I've made a couple bonus videos that are just all of the various broadcasts that show up at different points in the game. I've inserted them in what I think are reasonable points in the playlist.

XX - TV Broadcasts 01 (polsy)
XX - TV Broadcasts 02 (polsy)

Not only are they kind of interesting if you're into world-building stuff, but it's fun to notice the consistency errors and the times when the characters animations just break.

Cryohazard posted:

That must be why most freerunners and parkour enthusiasts in real life have such large amounts of body fat...?

Based on what I know from other physical activities, the thing you'd really need to worry about would be impact to your joints rather than any type of body blows. My thoughts would be that you would want as little mass as possible while maintaining just enough muscle to do the things you need to do (eg. pull-ups).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It does always make me laugh that media can only portray Aspergers characters like the way they do this one. At least it's pretty accurate this time.

Of course they do. They wouldn't call it a behavioral spectrum if it didn't only have one way of presenting.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

So you may have noticed that I didn't post a new video yesterday. Turns out we had some technical difficulties while trying to record commentary for the next set of videos.

Canada Day celebrations catch up with you?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Bauble "Maul"? Oh dear.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

White Coke posted:

Canada Day celebrations catch up with you?

Hahaha not that kind of technical difficulties. Cletus just built a new gaming computer (which I'm jealous of) and it's having some sort of driver issue with his microphone. It's really my fault for procrastinating on getting the new set of videos ready. I'll hopefully have something this weekend.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Cryohazard posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BtO_43PCtkQ

:colbert:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Oh, that Icarus. Always getting himself into one sticky situation or another.

09 - Fly Trap (polsy)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
To expand a bit on the conversation around the mid point of the video - not only does KrugerSec know a runner stole the data, they know exactly which runner did it because we grabbed the data right in front of the CEO and Bond Girl after stumbling on to the theft. It's questionable (and I guess irrelevant) whether or not they believe we are connected to Omnistat but considering Faith wasn't wearing a disguise and we were being released from prison that very morning they likely know enough about us to know who our associates are and what circles we hang out in. If I recall correctly someone in the prison also taunted us on the way out saying 'Dogan sends his regards'.

I can't really tell if this is a setup from Icarus (who conveniently got himself caught in the McGuffin cage and dragged us away to deal with it), or if Dogan sold us out to tie up loose ends of if KrugerSec has known all about us all along but really didn't give enough of a poo poo to make a move on our organization until we stuck out hands right to the bottom of their cookie jar.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What was the other interactable item just before the window that you skipped?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a pretty classic setup that I imagine might play out with Dogan and the Reflection data.

I imagine whatever Reflection is, it's so nasty that Dogan will discover even his power isn't enough to protect him when the powers that be find out he has the data. He either sells the runners/Faith out to protect himself, or gets completely wrecked when he goes to sell the data, or ends up giving it back to Faith and is like, "loving get rid of this and disappear and pretend you never saw it."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Asehujiko posted:

What was the other interactable item just before the window that you skipped?
There's a few cosmetic items that spawn randomly in hideouts as little satchels that tie into the multiplayer stuff. Images you can put on billboards, skins for your runner ghost, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Obviously the VTOLs are based off the old Osprey design, the F-35 before the F-35. Why were they so lambasted?

• Locked thread