Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Samovar posted:

Obviously the VTOLs are based off the old Osprey design, the F-35 before the F-35. Why were they so lambasted?

Ospreys? They were lambasted because they had an annoying habit of crashing and getting people killed, as I understand it. Not the most stable or easily piloted of configurations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Psychotic Weasel posted:

KrugerSec has known all about us all along but really didn't give enough of a poo poo to make a move on our organization until we stuck out hands right to the bottom of their cookie jar.

This is my view on the situation. I think Kruger actually liked having the runners around as they drove up demand for his security services.

Asehujiko posted:

What was the other interactable item just before the window that you skipped?

As Sindai said, they are the cosmetic items you can use for the social interactions within the game. Although I want to point out again that the icon for which most of the pickups are used for can't be used in game, only on the mirrors edge website or app. Actually that specific drop you can actually see the popup for it when we finish Plastic's side mission.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I like to think that the way Krugersec found out about the runner hideout was reading complaints from the maintenance people who have to go and fix the aircon fans every fifteen minutes.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I guess we've got to find somewhere else to go. Also, the next episode of Glass Daily News.

10 - Sanctuary (polsy)

XX - TV Broadcasts 03 (polsy)

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 9, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

-Where should we put these big boxes with expensive drones?
-How about right next to deep chasms?
-Yes, that's a great idea.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So these drones weren't activated, but will there be others that are?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Something weird going on in the subtitles for the news. At one point the anchor clearly says "unsettle Joanna Kruger" and the subs have "[unseat Gabriel Kruger](?)"

The spoken line makes no sense and it looks like the subtitler knew it. Wonder how that happened.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Sindai posted:

Something weird going on in the subtitles for the news. At one point the anchor clearly says "unsettle Joanna Kruger" and the subs have "[unseat Gabriel Kruger](?)"

The spoken line makes no sense and it looks like the subtitler knew it. Wonder how that happened.

I transcribed it, and yes that line drove me crazy. I tried a whole bunch of stuff like isolating the audio and slowing it down, and I just couldn't get anything except "unsettle Joanna Kruger." I just replaced it with what I feel like it was supposed to say.

White Coke posted:

So these drones weren't activated, but will there be others that are?

*has terrible poker face*
*glances at next video*

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh, of course the game itself didn't have subs for what's mostly background noise.

Then I guess the question is how the line got flubbed so badly.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

*has terrible poker face*
*glances at next video*

Confess, drat it! Don't make me ask politely.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I'm predicting that Rebecca's either an Omnistat agent, or wants to revert Cascadia to Omnistat control of her own volition, considering her praise for what they made and her critique of the current Cascadian system.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wish games like this had the balls to have a character who may use methods that are not great but are doing it for the greater good, and not make them into a villain or antagonist. I could be wrong but it sure as hell seems like they are going to set Thane up as being just as bad as Kruger, because only the purest good guys get to be good.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wish games like this had the balls to have a character who may use methods that are not great but are doing it for the greater good, and not make them into a villain or antagonist. I could be wrong but it sure as hell seems like they are going to set Thane up as being just as bad as Kruger, because only the purest good guys get to be good.

Well, when your plan boils down to "terrorize and kill the middle class so that they will join our cause and help overthrow the elites", it can be hard to lay claim to the title of "good guy".

Thane's methods aren't merely questionable, they're monstrous. We have no idea how many people died when Black November blew up that mall. She can lay claim to the moral high ground as much as she likes; I still want to see Hope throw her off a building.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, usually when someone says "the ends justify the means," it translates to "it's okay for me to commit atrocities because I'm better than everyone else." It's literally the sort of poo poo that means you're on the road to becoming a dictator probably about as bad as whoever you're fighting, if you ever win out. If you wanted someone slightly ambiguous, but ultimately with good intentions, you'd have them doing these things regretfully and because they couldn't think of a better way to accomplish something(perhaps suffering some collateral damage while fighting an occupying force or something), not ranting about their moral superiority while knee deep in civilian corpses.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
According to the news the mall was new and a few days from opening when BN blew it up. I don't think they mentioned any casualties.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 23, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Blowing random poo poo up doesn't really help much. Putting hits out on the ruling families, that would be the better option imo

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 24, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Blowing random poo poo up doesn't really help much. Putting hits out on the ruling families, that would be the better option imo

The ruling families are going to be extremely well protected, and even if you kill them some other family will take their place unless you can kill off the entire ruling class in one attack.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

That's quite short sighted(Though probably still a tiny bit better than blowing random stuff up), killing a ruling family would create a power vacuum, which could potentially cause even more damage than the bombing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sindai posted:

Oh, of course the game itself didn't have subs for what's mostly background noise.

Then I guess the question is how the line got flubbed so badly.

i mean its possible Gab has got his wife or something on the board as just a world-building way of showing corruption or something

its also possible the line is just from a earlier rendition of the script where they wanted a woman villain, who knows

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
This is a pretty weird time for me to be posting a video, but hey life is funny sometimes.

11 - Vive La Resistance (polsy)

I think you generally need the support of the people before you start sending the bourgeois to the guillotine, but then again shock and awe doesn't win hearts and minds. Basically I don't know what the hell the right course of action would be. I'd make a terrible rebel insurgent.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i mean its possible Gab has got his wife or something on the board as just a world-building way of showing corruption or something

its also possible the line is just from a earlier rendition of the script where they wanted a woman villain, who knows

If it was meant to be a female Gabriel, it's really weird since they mention him by name in the same video. My best guess is that it's meant to be the character we meet at the end of this video and they changed the name for whatever reason.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Why do I get the sense that Rebecca is going to end up with a big 'ol knife in her back and us siding with the person we just took prisoner? The look on her face right at the end when she heard our name makes me believe that she knows something about us and is smart enough not to say anything until no one else is listening. Is she our dead sister running around under an assumed identity? Taken in by Kruger himself after finding her all battered after the raid? That'd be a nice twist - it's not like Faith stuck around to confirm her death. It could also explain why they didn't know who she was at the beginning, how a white guy with no wife had a clearly Asian daughter.

Also, that's the same Bond Girl from the tower break in so I suspect it would only be a matter of time before she murdered her way out of the sewers anyway.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What happened to Icarus' shades?

e: never mind

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 25, 2017

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm guessing at this point (having hazy memories at best of the first game's plot summary) that given Isabel's response to Faith's name and her lack of obvious resemblance to Gabriel Kruger, that Isabel Kurger will secretly turn out to be Faith's sister or something like that. This isn't to say that interracial marriages don't occur in this kind of fiction (eg, Remember Me), but given the conservation of detail and the fact that the game is setting up for some kind of twist I'd wager that the above situation is the case over Isabel being Gabriel Kruger's biological daughter. (To be fair I forget what Kruger's wife looks like or if we've seen her on screen in the first place.)

Edit: Huh, beaten on this guess.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

NGDBSS posted:

It took me a second to make the connection, at first I thought maybe she knew something about the death of her family. How Rebecca had set them up to be martyrs or bailed on them instead of sticking around and helping. Then it dawned on me that maybe she is her family, hence her reaction to learning who Faith was.

I mean, it would kind of follow the arc of the first game as well. Faith's sister was a cop there and sort of 'lost' to her when she ran away from home (also I guess being the Police Cheif/CEO's body guard is also sort of like being a cop). After she was set up - unbeknownst to an ally who later turned to a traitor - Faith then had to side with someone she thought was her enemy in order to save her sister and also foil a bigger plot and that could be the same thing we're heading for here. Faith and Icarus also give the impression that they are finding Black November's methods a little too unpalatable.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

There's something weird about how people stand in all these scenes when they're supposedly "at rest" or just walking around in conversations, during cutscenes. It's like almost everyone's pushing their chest forwards and upwards, like they're constantly strutting and posturing. I think maybe Noah and Dogen are the only ones who generally avoided it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

NGDBSS posted:

I'm guessing at this point (having hazy memories at best of the first game's plot summary) that given Isabel's response to Faith's name and her lack of obvious resemblance to Gabriel Kruger, that Isabel Kurger will secretly turn out to be Faith's sister or something like that. This isn't to say that interracial marriages don't occur in this kind of fiction (eg, Remember Me), but given the conservation of detail and the fact that the game is setting up for some kind of twist I'd wager that the above situation is the case over Isabel being Gabriel Kruger's biological daughter. (To be fair I forget what Kruger's wife looks like or if we've seen her on screen in the first place.)

It'd be kinda dumb if this was what happens.

So I'm expecting it will.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rebecca telling Wesley Icarus to shut up gave her some serious pluses in my book.

Samovar posted:

It's probably going to be even dumber.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

If it was meant to be a female Gabriel, it's really weird since they mention him by name in the same video. My best guess is that it's meant to be the character we meet at the end of this video and they changed the name for whatever reason.

well i didn't realize we were about to meet his daughter so yeah, you're probably right. must have recorded the line before a minor re-write or something. or nobody noticed her messing up the name, its not like the tv broadcasts are super important right?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

NGDBSS posted:

Samovar posted:

Poil posted:

It's probably going to be even dumber.

It'll turn out the Faith is Isabel, and that she suffers from an extreme case of Fictional Split Personality Syndrome. The scene at the end is a hallucination of Faith's, in truth Black November stole some kind of experimental drug to try and merge Faith's two personalities since Faith doesn't have access to all the classified information that Isabel is party to.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Samovar posted:

I'm guessing that the whole thing is a chrono-pharmaceutical company's attempt to abduct stressed out people from various eras in order to conduct research into the development of a new anxiolytic drug. KrugerSec, Black November, all of it. Isabel is Future Faith sent back in time. This will never be hinted at or even serve to explain anything, but it will definitely be the ending.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Alright back to it. We've got some side mission type stuff to do around the Rezoning District.

12 - Top of the World (polsy)

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Go ahead and play Assassin's Creed: Syndicate. It's got fun toys, brutal combat animations, and a cool city to explore.

It has all the usual downfalls of AC (repetitive missions, nonsensical story, missions where you autofail if anyone sees you), but it's still good fun and the protagonists are actually likable this time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kinda hope that when Faith does have an answer for Rebecca for where she stands, it's just "You and Isabel are both idiots."

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Quiet Python posted:

Go ahead and play Assassin's Creed: Syndicate. It's got fun toys, brutal combat animations, and a cool city to explore.

It has all the usual downfalls of AC (repetitive missions, nonsensical story, missions where you autofail if anyone sees you), but it's still good fun and the protagonists are actually likable this time.

Hell, blind lp it to give you an excuse to play it :v:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The thing about transactions in a capitalist system is that while you can have mutually beneficial transactions, they're aren't going to be ones that result in the massive amounts of wealth inequality that we see in Cascadia.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

White Coke posted:

The thing about transactions in a capitalist system is that while you can have mutually beneficial transactions, they're aren't going to be ones that result in the massive amounts of wealth inequality that we see in Cascadia.

Fair enough. If the point was less about individual transactions and more that a capitalist system will always lead to inequality, then I can get behind it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

I kinda hope that when Faith does have an answer for Rebecca for where she stands, it's just "You and Isabel are both idiots."

I hope she becomes so radical that Rebecca gets afraid.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Sorry about the week off, ran into some scheduling issues.

13 - Payback (polsy)

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 4, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Sorry about the week off, ran into some scheduling issues.

Too much Game of Thrones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

White Coke posted:

Too much Game of Thrones?

Yeah, for Cletus and Swordfishhh.

• Locked thread