Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Cletus and Swordfishhh

Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

It gets annoying at times, but I admire the dedication of Frenzy's co-commentator in continuing to do two (slightly) different voices.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Frenzy's tulpas.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Nalesh posted:

Frenzy's tulpas.

If we can hear them too doesn't that mean we're all just figments of Frenzy the Godhead?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

White Coke posted:

If we can hear them too doesn't that mean we're all just figments of Frenzy the Godhead?

No, it means we all exist in the imagination of Felix Walken.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I don't know what any of you people are talking about, but here's a cool mission and also more TV broadcasts.

14 - Prisoner X (polsy)
XX - TV Broadcasts 04 (polsy)

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 9, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Did Plastic send her family to the gray district?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I've only been able to get about half way through the video before needing to run, so apologies if this is covered later, but the nickname 'The Dogs' for the security HQ is probably also a reference to the first game where Pirandello Kruger's corporate logo was that bulldog mug. I don't know what else they could be referring to really since nothing else near those buildings remotely resembles a dog.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I guess you could also say it's a commentary on KrugerSec as the attack dogs of the established order.

Also god dammit are we doing another 'anti-establishment group turns out to be just as bad as the establishment' plot?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It occurs to me how few civilians we see despite sprinting through their apartments and kicking open doors more or less at random. At least we should see a few workmen clearing up the property damage Faith does whenever she short-circuits large, expensive pieces of ventilation equipment.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hang on, there's a real life version of the Northwest Secessionist Forces? Is there anything in Deus Ex that isn't based on real life theories or things?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I've only been able to get about half way through the video before needing to run, so apologies if this is covered later, but the nickname 'The Dogs' for the security HQ is probably also a reference to the first game where Pirandello Kruger's corporate logo was that bulldog mug. I don't know what else they could be referring to really since nothing else near those buildings remotely resembles a dog.

This is actually an awesome point, and you're probably right. It also reminds me that I meant to say something about the PK logo being reused as the logo of the Hail City Hounds sportsball team, which you can see in the third TV Broadcasts video.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I want to make a guess, so I'll put it in a spoiler

Isobel is Faith's sister.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think the idea with Faith not saying explicitly where she's going is that that's what the waypoint icon is for - Faith doesn't need to tell you where to go as she knows where to go, the objective marker is a way of showing the player what Faith already knows.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

This is actually an awesome point, and you're probably right. It also reminds me that I meant to say something about the PK logo being reused as the logo of the Hail City Hounds sportsball team, which you can see in the third TV Broadcasts video.

I can't see anything but a tiny heh

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sindai posted:

I can't see anything but a tiny heh
And now I can't unsee it either. It does look kinda smug now too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This game is really violating the rule of 'show don't tell', with how suddenly in that one audio chat thing Icarus is like 'BTW Faith, Black November is killing people who are not extreme enough and dissenting against their leadership, guess we should bail'. That seems like something important enough for a cutscene, not just a brief audio thing that could be missed.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
This game and sort of the first remind me a lot of Tron: Legacy in that they're mostly lacking in story, characters, acting, and the usual story elements, but the visual and audio aspects are so good I can forgive them. Tron: Legacy is a really bad movie but it's so good looking I can watch it repeatedly and while I didn't get far playing this game I feel like I could just look at it all day, especially with the soundtrack. Some of those shots of the rich district and that server center were fantastic and the city design in this has just been absolutely top notch, day or night.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

FlamingLiberal posted:

This game is really violating the rule of 'show don't tell', with how suddenly in that one audio chat thing Icarus is like 'BTW Faith, Black November is killing people who are not extreme enough and dissenting against their leadership, guess we should bail'. That seems like something important enough for a cutscene, not just a brief audio thing that could be missed.

I don't know about the specific example you give. Noah and Faith were already of the opinion that Black November were too extreme to be around for any length of time. Icarus doubted them and thought that Black November would be cool buds to work alongside. I view that conversation as less of a poor exposition about anything concerning Black November and more of 'Icarus is realizing Noah and Faith had legitimate reasons to be wary of Black November'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That just seems like something important enough that it should be worthy of a cutscene.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Alright time for a very important story video, and a very broken TV broadcasts video.

15 - Thy Kingdom Come (polsy)
XX - TV Broadcasts 05 (polsy)

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 9, 2017

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Man, with all the interconnected-ness, now I'm thinking the cop Faith killed was actually her father or something (due to the "don't you recognize me?" line), it's going to be a big drama bomb when Faith meets her sister again, and then something even more hosed up than that will happen right afterward. Somehow.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Felinoid posted:

Man, with all the interconnected-ness, now I'm thinking the cop Faith killed was actually her father or something (due to the "don't you recognize me?" line), it's going to be a big drama bomb when Faith meets her sister again, and then something even more hosed up than that will happen right afterward. Somehow.

The "Don't you recognize me" is referencing an earlier flashback where a nice cop gave Faith and her sister a place to hide when poo poo started going sideways. You get a quick glance at the scar on his hand when he holds a door open for them, and then see it again when he's lying on the ground.

That being said, there is another angle on the interconnected-ness. In the game backstory there's some mention that Gabriel Kruger's son was a KrugerSec officer killed during the November Riots. If you listen to that cop's voice in the flashback it's actually quite similar to Kruger's. I think the implication is actually that Kruger kills Faith and Cat's parents, and then Faith kills Kruger's son, and then Kruger takes Cat as a replacement child. Of course as far as I know that's never confirmed anywhere, just seems like the kind of thing that would be true in this story.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I read the same Rare Earthers article

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
You know, I feel like they spend effort setting Dogen up as a BAD CRIME MANS but mostly he just yells exasperatedly at people and cuts them another break every time they disappoint him. Unless his stew is PEOPLE he just seems like he's trying very hard to be the ULTIMATE CRIME LORD but is fundamentally too nice a guy to pull it off.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
It's nice to see Icarus stop being such a dick and actually working hand in hand with faith. She drops a bombshell on him and he just kinda deals with it for a moment and trusts Faith.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, I feel like they spend effort setting Dogen up as a BAD CRIME MANS but mostly he just yells exasperatedly at people and cuts them another break every time they disappoint him. Unless his stew is PEOPLE he just seems like he's trying very hard to be the ULTIMATE CRIME LORD but is fundamentally too nice a guy to pull it off.

I like to think it's because Dogen knows what he's doing - if he kills Faith for disappointing him then he'll need to go to black November to try to get those blueprints himself (and gently caress facing Rebecca at all), or risk getting someone valuable to him getting eaten by Plastic's security system.

Also Faith is Dogen's best bet of befriending Plastic. If Faith's mission stalls or she dies because Dogen fails to help her or puts her in unnecessary danger it would be likely that Plastic would blame Dogen and never work with him under her own steam. Sure compared to Dogen these people are children, but they are children who are already proving that they can play way harder than he can.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 5, 2017

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Me when I see another loving anime liveaction

I wish someone used the Reflection stuff well in a show or game at some point, it has potential but I can only recall it being used for cliche evil villain things.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'd stopped paying attention to the actual video for the news broadcasts since there's not that much going on visually, just the audio narration...but...were those banners reading things like "REFLECTION YAY!" "LOUD SCARY NOISES" and so on actually there in the game? Is that a new phenomenon?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Frenzy had the audio for this news, but no video, so he made those.

It's very well done.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I feel like there's a much better way from a story and game perspective to tell you that Isabel Kruger is your sister than through a phone conversation with Plastic.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Sir Potato posted:

I feel like there's a much better way from a story and game perspective to tell you that Isabel Kruger is your sister than through a phone conversation with Plastic.

Exactly. It was so nonchalant like "Oh by the way, she's actually your sister. Have a great day!"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think they assume by that point the player has figured it out on their own, since Faith has.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sir Potato posted:

This is the 2nd time now a major plot point was done in that way. Never really seen another game do something like that. It's especially odd since this game clearly had a budget. The CGI cutscenes are very good.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It seems that regardless of budget no AAA game is immune to being rushed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is the 2nd time now a major plot point was done in that way. Never really seen another game do something like that. It's especially odd since this game clearly had a budget. The CGI cutscenes are very good.

tbh there's a certain part of me that likes huge plot revelations being done in a off-hand manner, though yeah, faith should probably do a bit more then shrug at the main villain's daughter being her brain-washed sister

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

White Coke posted:

It seems that regardless of budget no AAA game is immune to being rushed.

Which is ironic, considering all of Faith's running.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Yet another important and cool mission. There will be a TV Broadcasts video coming soon as well, but I'm just not done with it yet.

16 - Family Matters (polsy)

FlamingLiberal posted:

mandatory lesbian posted:

tbh there's a certain part of me that likes huge plot revelations being done in a off-hand manner, though yeah, faith should probably do a bit more then shrug at the main villain's daughter being her brain-washed sister

There's something a little weird about a lot of Faith's spoken dialogue outside of cutscenes sounding really half-assed. Just as an example compare the radio call with Aline at the start of the video, and then the cutscene directly after it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Kuma help. Induce comparative pain." :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Even Plastic wants to get rid of Icarus.

Also again, Dogen remains the worst crime lord, in the sense of being bad at his job. He's actually a nice guy but he keeps trying to pretend that he's got a TOUGH EXTERIOR and that it's ALL FOR HIMSELF.

• Locked thread