Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, the change in art style is a loss. Probably the only real loss, but a pretty big one, since it felt like that was the biggest pro of the original Mirror's Edge, a really defining and unique art style.

It also feels a bit... lame that all the glowing red is your RUNNER VISION outlining it. In the original it felt a bit more natural, like you could believe these things were just coincidentally painted red or rusted red or whatever. Also goddamn Icarus is punchable. Will Catalyst have an NPC as cool as Miller? Or at least one with quite as snazzy dress sense?

I do like the concept of making it an open world, though, and letting you pick your own routes for running to places. Obviously this LP will show how well they actually deliver on that concept... but I like the idea. The original occasionally suffered a bit from guessing just how the developers wanted you to get around something, and also it looks like the climbable pipes are less buggy, hard-to-grasp death sentences this time around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The runner vision in the first game faded in a lot more gradually and was generally only applied to surfaces you could hang on to or push.

It also looked a lot less out of place because of the art style. You already had bright green, yellow, blue and orange things all over the place. So a few bright red things didn't seem like that much of an issue. With the more muted colours of Catalyst, the Runner Vision items clash more, they look more artificial.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tofu Survivor posted:

You joke but Skill Roll isn't the only basic ability they locked. There's also the quick turn like Frenzy pointed out and the Coil, which is the move that lets Faith pull her legs up to clear tall objects easier.

Maybe Faith needs her knees replaced or something before she can do basic movements with her joints.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

"Can you make your emblem a dick?"

Did this game sell well enough for the social aspects to actually, well, have any purpose?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Also, something that occurs to me about the first game and its Project Icarus. All throughout the game, until you meet the Icarus Cops, the police and mercenary security guards are just blazing away with sniper rifles, machineguns, pistols, etc. actively trying to kill you...

And then their DARK SINISTER PLAN is cops who use tazers instead and might actually just arrest you after giving you a bruising.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Firstly, that's a nice loving apartment.

Secondly, maybe Nomad is making his art to AWAKEN the K-Sec Sheeple patrolling the rooftops. Really make them THINK, you know?

Thirdly, who the gently caress designed these towers? "Alright, we made these really sweet, highly expensive and complicated towers, which are nonetheless light and modular enough to be easily transported to, and set up on, rooftops. Now, what I think is really important is that if someone sticks their hand in an aperture at the front and yanks out that looks TOTALLY INTENDED for removal, it's going to blow up."

Also Faith must have calluses like an inch thick on her knuckles considering that she can punch these dudes with helmeted heads right in the face without as much as a wince or whimper.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think I like Plastic so much because of how much I dislike the other characters and how little time she has for most of their garbage. I'd love to see her interact with Icarus. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The game volume seemed a bit low this time around, maybe it was just me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dogen seems... surprisingly okay? Dangerous, but unless you're dumb enough to make a deal with him you can't carry through, probably not a danger to you.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Samovar posted:

Obviously the VTOLs are based off the old Osprey design, the F-35 before the F-35. Why were they so lambasted?

Ospreys? They were lambasted because they had an annoying habit of crashing and getting people killed, as I understand it. Not the most stable or easily piloted of configurations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm predicting that Rebecca's either an Omnistat agent, or wants to revert Cascadia to Omnistat control of her own volition, considering her praise for what they made and her critique of the current Cascadian system.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, usually when someone says "the ends justify the means," it translates to "it's okay for me to commit atrocities because I'm better than everyone else." It's literally the sort of poo poo that means you're on the road to becoming a dictator probably about as bad as whoever you're fighting, if you ever win out. If you wanted someone slightly ambiguous, but ultimately with good intentions, you'd have them doing these things regretfully and because they couldn't think of a better way to accomplish something(perhaps suffering some collateral damage while fighting an occupying force or something), not ranting about their moral superiority while knee deep in civilian corpses.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

There's something weird about how people stand in all these scenes when they're supposedly "at rest" or just walking around in conversations, during cutscenes. It's like almost everyone's pushing their chest forwards and upwards, like they're constantly strutting and posturing. I think maybe Noah and Dogen are the only ones who generally avoided it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It occurs to me how few civilians we see despite sprinting through their apartments and kicking open doors more or less at random. At least we should see a few workmen clearing up the property damage Faith does whenever she short-circuits large, expensive pieces of ventilation equipment.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

You know, I feel like they spend effort setting Dogen up as a BAD CRIME MANS but mostly he just yells exasperatedly at people and cuts them another break every time they disappoint him. Unless his stew is PEOPLE he just seems like he's trying very hard to be the ULTIMATE CRIME LORD but is fundamentally too nice a guy to pull it off.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Even Plastic wants to get rid of Icarus.

Also again, Dogen remains the worst crime lord, in the sense of being bad at his job. He's actually a nice guy but he keeps trying to pretend that he's got a TOUGH EXTERIOR and that it's ALL FOR HIMSELF.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Kind of weird, it felt like the final section of the game actually had less running/parkouring than a lot of the rest of the game.

Also the ending sequence drama felt just a bit forced.

The game still looks great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think he means that the setting would work for a Battlefield 3142.

• Locked thread