Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Taking a look at this myself (and the classbuild rankings), I think I'm currently looking at trying out Swordsman 3 > Peltasta 1 > Corsair 1 > Fencer 3, largely because Fencer has a really great outfit. Anything I should know about the class going in?

Seems like post patch SW3 > Barb/Highlander 2 > Fencer 3 builds are more popular. Epee Garde is kind of underwhelming with the new crit calculations and you go through mana pots like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh Snapple! posted:

Taking a look at this myself (and the classbuild rankings), I think I'm currently looking at trying out Swordsman 3 > Peltasta 1 > Corsair 1 > Fencer 3, largely because Fencer has a really great outfit. Anything I should know about the class going in?

quote:

if you want to fencer i would suggest barb3 for min/max
i did sword1/pelt1/barb3/fencer since beta
it works very well

I am stealing your goon valor from discord Sacro.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am stealing your goon valor from discord Sacro.

I think I'll go with this one. Is there a suggested skill build? I assume I definitely want the attack buffs from Swordsman.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think I'll go with this one. Is there a suggested skill build? I assume I definitely want the attack buffs from Swordsman.

I should add that we immediately had like a 20+ minute discussion after that on the merits of sw3/hl2/fencer3 and other combinations

sw3 is probably broken as gently caress right now, it brings great buffs, and double slash is ridiculously good

the main issue is figuring out what has the most value based on what skills will actually get USED at r8 to complement fencer's abilities. i'm kind of hoping Sidesaddle Cavalry will have it figured out soon!

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Whats the best shinobi build now? My main is like 240s and I have a bad fencer/shinobi thing going on, I'm assuming I can do better.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

How does anybody know how to combine the different classes in meaningful ways? Can you respec, and how easily?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

clone on the phone posted:

How does anybody know how to combine the different classes in meaningful ways? Can you respec, and how easily?

theorycraft and letting other people gently caress it up first

unfortunately this also leads to like, one lucky idiot managing to actually finish some sort of high end content and his word being treated as gospel

outside of this event you can't normally reset your class. at all. ever. i bet they'd make a loving killing off selling re-class items for like $10 though.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

So basically hope someone's figured something out by the time this event ends? :v:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

So basically hope someone's figured something out by the time this event ends? :v:

there are a lot of Good and Fun builds, even if they aren't perfectly 100% optimal.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
This game's client works about 1 out every 9 attempts for me.

:iiam:

Seems to be a pretty common issue for people, too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oh hey this game doesnt run like rear end anymore

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It still kind of does in certain areas of Orsha.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Re: fencer builds, Swordsman 3 / Highlander 2 is turning out to be very good too, double slash is pretty broken with the bleed from highlander and the scaling on gungho/concentrate gets pretty good.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

The discord crew might have already got this, but the common wisdom is max Gung Ho, Pain Barrier and Double Slash, optional 3p into Bash for the attribute and the remaining points split between Pommel Beat and Restrain to taste.

Gung Ho scales better with Str and Concentrate with Dex, but I haven't really seen a convincing case to go over 100 Dex for Swordsmen dps even with classes that benefit from the attack speed.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

You are the first person I've seen to suggest Pommel Beat in any capacity. The advice I've seen has been to max PB, DS and Gung Ho, choose between Restrain or Conc depending if you give a poo poo about pvp or not. Conc is also really good on multi-hit skills.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

You are the first person I've seen to suggest Pommel Beat in any capacity. The advice I've seen has been to max PB, DS and Gung Ho, choose between Restrain or Conc depending if you give a poo poo about pvp or not. Conc is also really good on multi-hit skills.

I've seen some korean players run it, might be only used with classes that have extra stuns though v:v:v

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Speaking of Dex, does anyone know how much dex is a good point for a Qs3>Fa3? I found some Koreans going all Dex but we don't have that kind of ping.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I've been thinking of a wizard build which combines the holy weakness effect from Mastema and the holy-property Rune of Justice, but I probably won't be able to try it out before my 7-day token runs out for instant-attribute purposes (I'm a few class levels short of rank 7) so I'd like some input. I get the feeling that this is something that sounds good on paper and is terrible or at least not worthwhile in execution.

The build is Wizard 3 / Linker 2 / Rune Caster 1 / Warlock 2 for the combination of Quick Cast --> Joint Penalty --> Hangman's Knot --> Mastema -- > Rune of Justice. From what I can find the holy weakness on Mastema makes enemies take double holy damage, so that would make a rank 5 Rune of Justice go from 266% x 5 to the equivalent of 532% x 5. The classes used have their fair share of other attack skills to use during the downtime, but this would be the primary source of damage by far; Linker 2 is there mostly because I think you would need the 3 seconds from rank 10 Hangman's Knot to keep enemies in place long enough for both Mastema and Rune of Justice even with Quick Cast.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Seeric posted:

I've been thinking of a wizard build which combines the holy weakness effect from Mastema and the holy-property Rune of Justice, but I probably won't be able to try it out before my 7-day token runs out for instant-attribute purposes (I'm a few class levels short of rank 7) so I'd like some input. I get the feeling that this is something that sounds good on paper and is terrible or at least not worthwhile in execution.

The build is Wizard 3 / Linker 2 / Rune Caster 1 / Warlock 2 for the combination of Quick Cast --> Joint Penalty --> Hangman's Knot --> Mastema -- > Rune of Justice. From what I can find the holy weakness on Mastema makes enemies take double holy damage, so that would make a rank 5 Rune of Justice go from 266% x 5 to the equivalent of 532% x 5. The classes used have their fair share of other attack skills to use during the downtime, but this would be the primary source of damage by far; Linker 2 is there mostly because I think you would need the 3 seconds from rank 10 Hangman's Knot to keep enemies in place long enough for both Mastema and Rune of Justice even with Quick Cast.

Don't you need certain prerequisite classes for Rune Caster? Like 1 of each Pyro/Cryo?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Groggy nard posted:

Don't you need certain prerequisite classes for Rune Caster? Like 1 of each Pyro/Cryo?

not at all. the requirement is taking it at r6 or higher.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Tsurupettan posted:

not at all. the requirement is taking it at r6 or higher.

Neat, that's more time I get to spend playing on the build simulator than the actual game, then.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

I'm considering giving this game a try. As with every other MMO I play, looking cool is my top priority. To this end, I've narrowed down the classes I think I'd like to play to Inquisitor, Plague Doctor and Sage (maybe Musketeer [those epaulettes!] or Mergen but I'm not so sure). Would somebody mind writing a few words about how these classes play and how I might build them? Looking through their skills, Sage and Plague Doctor seem to be focused on group support and AOE damage, while Inquisitor tends mostly towards single target?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Killed By Death posted:

I'm considering giving this game a try. As with every other MMO I play, looking cool is my top priority. To this end, I've narrowed down the classes I think I'd like to play to Inquisitor, Plague Doctor and Sage (maybe Musketeer [those epaulettes!] or Mergen but I'm not so sure). Would somebody mind writing a few words about how these classes play and how I might build them? Looking through their skills, Sage and Plague Doctor seem to be focused on group support and AOE damage, while Inquisitor tends mostly towards single target?

Wiz 1 Cryo 3 Chrono 3 Sage 1 - You are a mainly there for support. Buff up your team with haste and quicken. Run around and gather mobs, then drop Frost Pillar to basically root / vortex all the enemies into a spot. Then do dps or whatever. Use Pass to lower the cooldowns on everyone's abilities as needed. Spec full Int or Con for your stats.

Cleric 2 Diev 1 Sadhu 3 Plague Doctor 2 - Gather mobs, apply dots, then hit Possession to stun them all for 6.5 seconds while doing tremendous damage. Spec full Int.

There are a bunch of ways to go Inquisitor. You can go through priest for more buffs or Paladin / Monk for a more melee oriented build. Str / Dex for your stats.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Newbie question: should I be investing in SPR as a Swordsman (currently Hoplite, headed towards Dragoon)? I'm only level 108 so I have no idea how much SP recovery will be an issue later in the game. I'm following a build that suggests dropping 36 points into SPR, and I'm wondering if those would be better spent elsewhere.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Daveski posted:

Newbie question: should I be investing in SPR as a Swordsman (currently Hoplite, headed towards Dragoon)? I'm only level 108 so I have no idea how much SP recovery will be an issue later in the game. I'm following a build that suggests dropping 36 points into SPR, and I'm wondering if those would be better spent elsewhere.

i think that a token amount of spr is probably fairly acceptable now. at least to ensure your sp pot usage is efficient and none of it is overflowing and going to waste.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Oracle is the best class, why isn't every cleric an Oracle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qr0uHnvBeM

This is pretty much everything I've ever wanted.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://treeofsavior.com/page/class/ranking.php

Top 100 most popular builds on iToS. Should give you an idea for your class build if you are completely lost.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Top 100 most popular builds on iToS. Should give you an idea for your class build if you are completely lost.

What is a schwarzer reiter and why is it the highest ranked archer class? Any vids of how they play?

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
It's a cavalry class with an offhand pistol. The reason it's popular is that it's one of the lowest effort ways to farm silver.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is really helpful, thanks. I know it's probably annoying to hear so many questions, but in a game that has 10 billion class combos, it's a bit hard to figure out what's fun -and- viable/not a combination that will make people not want to play with you. Now I've got a better idea!

e: I had edited in a problem I was having with the UI, but I just fixed it. Below is the result - I don't like having my UI all over the screen in MMOs if I can help it, so I tend to put things down by my character, where I'm most likely to already be looking. I used the mod Extended UI to do this.

Sorry about my goofy hotkeys, I'm still playing around with stuff lol.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 28, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:siren: 2 reset days left (Sunday and Monday) :siren:

Better start finalizing your specs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Between moving house and Fire Emblem Echoes I'm really :cry: about the end of this event and hope it returns in at least a limited format again. Having too many alts hurts

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Between moving house and Fire Emblem Echoes I'm really :cry: about the end of this event and hope it returns in at least a limited format again. Having too many alts hurts

Yeah I'm super glad of it, otherwise I'd be rerolling haha. The first archer build I tried was super boring, then I think DP recommended sapper and I've been having a lot of fun with it since!

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

A Spider Covets posted:

Yeah I'm super glad of it, otherwise I'd be rerolling haha. The first archer build I tried was super boring, then I think DP recommended sapper and I've been having a lot of fun with it since!

3rd circle sapper here. Zero regrets and lots of fun. Broom trap alone is amazing. I'm going 15 Punji Stake just because I like it. 3rd circle's arrow trap also does shitloads of damage, but its length seems to affect the duration of the trap. Shorter ones last longer? It's also worth noting that Claymore still does not consume claymores in dungeon instances. At least not for me. On top of all that, Detonate is great in so many ways just because it also detonates friendly and enemy magic circles along with your traps. The utility on that is fantastic.

Sappers also have the best socks. So there's that.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Heard about the new events so I dived in. Not sure whats good but wanted to play so I've picked Wizard 3 Pyromancer 1 so far. Dumped everything into INT. Earthquake is as maxed as I can go with 1 point in the reflect shield ability. 5 in the Fire Damage Group Buff. Leveling has been weird. 1-30 was kinda slow but once I hit that first group instance the levels flew. The beginner boost pack you get gives you the 300% EXP tomes as well as the instance reset voucher quite often. I'm at 110 and I did that in a couple of hours.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FalloutGod posted:

Heard about the new events so I dived in. Not sure whats good but wanted to play so I've picked Wizard 3 Pyromancer 1 so far. Dumped everything into INT. Earthquake is as maxed as I can go with 1 point in the reflect shield ability. 5 in the Fire Damage Group Buff. Leveling has been weird. 1-30 was kinda slow but once I hit that first group instance the levels flew. The beginner boost pack you get gives you the 300% EXP tomes as well as the instance reset voucher quite often. I'm at 110 and I did that in a couple of hours.

Murder wizards are kind of pidgeonholed into taking Ele 3 so I'd suggest using the last day of resets to respec into Wiz 3 Ele 1 or Wiz 1 Pyro/Cryo 2 Ele 1 if you prefer that.

Earthquake and reflect were rear end before the patch but might be better now. Magic Bolt is decent filler and worth maxing imo, 5 points into Surecast, Quickcast and Magic Missile if you're taking Wiz3.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FalloutGod posted:

Respec to Wiz 3 Ele 1 with your end goal being Wiz 3 Ele 3 Warlock 2. It is the most common dps wizard spec because it is very good. Your current spec is not good.

https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#2111bbbff.1e213f657585.1f3f596185.1a21394a

edit: Maintenance will happen at 1am EST tonight so you can grab another reset if you are up until midnight I mean you can probably grab a reset, but I wouldn't plan on it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 29, 2017

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Actually I grabbed all the reset items yesterday for this very reason. I knew a game with a hundred different class combos would have some pitfalls so I was just kind of throwing points willy nilly. Thank you for the advice folks I'll switch to the better build. How should the stat points be split? Still just dump it all into INT?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FalloutGod posted:

Actually I grabbed all the reset items yesterday for this very reason. I knew a game with a hundred different class combos would have some pitfalls so I was just kind of throwing points willy nilly. Thank you for the advice folks I'll switch to the better build. How should the stat points be split? Still just dump it all into INT?

Full int or like 50 spr then the rest Int.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
So I know instances exist that you can que up for but are there dungeons like they had in Ragnarok Online where its just a free for all of people in groups fighting stuff?

• Locked thread