Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

FalloutGod posted:

So I know instances exist that you can que up for but are there dungeons like they had in Ragnarok Online where its just a free for all of people in groups fighting stuff?

Yes actually! They're the Hunting Grounds or HGs, the entrances of which look like big blue balls. They're pretty decent for experience in a party--or if you want to solo, they also offer nice standard equipment from purple cubes that drop with more kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I'm up to 170ish I think as a Wiz 3 Ele 2 so far. Does gear not matter as you level up? I'm finding all these recipes and items but even 170 I'm still flying through the levels so quickly gear just comes and goes. Does leveling a character "normally" (No 8EXP Boosts or insane stated starter gear) give you time to make use of all the recipes?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

FalloutGod posted:

I'm up to 170ish I think as a Wiz 3 Ele 2 so far. Does gear not matter as you level up? I'm finding all these recipes and items but even 170 I'm still flying through the levels so quickly gear just comes and goes. Does leveling a character "normally" (No 8EXP Boosts or insane stated starter gear) give you time to make use of all the recipes?

I only started buying gear after 100 to be honest, and even then it's just been occasional pieces. I've bought a few items to help level alts, but other than that I really haven't stopped to craft anything. I'm about at your level, 180 or so, so I guess we're both on track. I had a glitch that prevented me from getting the xp boost items from the event, too, and it's still super fast.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Stronger weapons will help with your time to kill. This will make things like grinding at Alemeth in your early 200s more comfortable. Monster HP will start scaling hard as you get closer to 280, and actually knock big chunks off of your HP if you don't meet a minimum threshold of def/mdef.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
So whats the deal with summoners just chilling and letting their minions kill everything? Is there no afk timer? The first zone I saw this en masse was the one with all the honey bees. Should I stick to my wizard until I get to "end game" and establish my self a bit before trying out other classes? I hear some of them can be money pits.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah they do that and then they stay there for hours just farming silver and gems and stuff. You see loads of them in demon prison. Sometimes if you get a big mob you can draw it in overwhelm the pets and get them killed, which is kinda satisfying.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Every once in a while there will be a level 500 Grim Reaper spawned on them

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
This game needs a dead branch item to spawn monsters on afk farmers

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Red Orbs will do that for you, just need to get them to drop from high level monsters that can take a hit from farmers

E:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 1, 2017

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Yes actually! They're the Hunting Grounds or HGs, the entrances of which look like big blue balls. They're pretty decent for experience in a party--or if you want to solo, they also offer nice standard equipment from purple cubes that drop with more kills.
The market should also crash in the next few days from the HG droprate bug. I think I ended up with ~40 armour, ~15 weapon cubes, and 2 Battle Bracelets, which isn't that impressive next to the 4 billion BBs some goons got.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Invite to the guild? Party name FalloutGod

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Was thinking about giving this a go with some friends. I was interested in Linker skills because they seemed pretty interesting to play around with, but I remember hearing that actually levelling one was pretty horrible back when I was looking up information back around release. Is that still the case? Should I go with something a bit more basic for a first character?

auzuguwu
Oct 30, 2011

Irisize posted:

Was thinking about giving this a go with some friends. I was interested in Linker skills because they seemed pretty interesting to play around with, but I remember hearing that actually levelling one was pretty horrible back when I was looking up information back around release. Is that still the case? Should I go with something a bit more basic for a first character?

linkers used to be necessary for killing everything fast, but since some skill changes and the combat change patch they are not as critical to have
the best meta wiz support class is now cryomancer c3, chronomancer c3, sage because of ice tree and pass skills
most people who play linker now pair it with thaum and featherfoot for swell monster to hunt high dpk drops

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

As one of the people who didn't get banned today, and having nothing to do all day, I leveled this guy up from level 1 using all of the downtime compensation rewards.

Mission accomplished :cool:

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
:shittypop: I need a day off

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I haven't really been on the last few days, did they permaban people?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'll lay it plain for the record here.

imcgames, instead of doing the sensible thing and devaluing an excessive item drop rate problem by giving less fortunate players lots of items, has decided to go all blood and thunder and suspend accounts that were known to have gained lots of items over the past couple of days.

This is ostensibly to inspect the accounts and try to reduce gains to 1 item of each type. There was some scary rhetoric about also taking down specific accounts that could be judged as maliciously exploiting the issue, for much longer than the time it would take to inspect/edit the accounts.

This is a bad idea in a low population game with only older accounts really being active and playing during the time in question. My Earth Tower static is down 2 players simply because they heard about the drop rates and tried them out, not to mention lots of members of bigger, older guilds. The catchphrase from players here is that they are being punished for playing the game normally.

To top it all off, the generous compensation given for this unscheduled server downtime and difficult recovery only really benefits players still leveling their characters/alts. The actions taken don't seem very friendly to long-time regulars.

This is still a developing news story, as this inspection period will likely continue as the new week goes on, since imc wants to micromanage literally everything about it. It's a bit unsettling to see them being so petty about their own mistake.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 4, 2017

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Thinking about it for a while and it is pretty lovely to punish someone for a developer error. Like.. I can understand them being annoyed because it costs them money and down time to go through peoples accounts and fix all of this poo poo but still. Hopefully its just a slap on the wrist.

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 4, 2017

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
I'm imagining an mmo with a larger playerbase trying to pass off 4-7 day suspensions to ~20% of the regular playerbase because of the developer breaking global drop rates in a patch. I think that would actually be the WoW killer.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
https://treeofsavior.com/page/news/view.php?n=1006 There's some extra compensation at the end of the road for players blocked right now, but band-aids are band-aids and they certainly don't help players who are affected because they play with the blocked players. There are theories being thrown around that the reluctance to hand out actual desired items is likely linked to imc's motivation to sell Letitia's Secret Cubes. The aftershocks just keep on coming.

"It's a feature/event, not a bug!" would be a developer statement that would have done more good than what's going on right now.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://treeofsavior.com/page/class/ranking.php

Top 100 most popular builds on iToS. Should give you an idea for your class build if you are completely lost.

Are swordsmen really bad? There's so few of them listed towards the top.

I quit right after launch and still have some kind of founder pack thing and a bunch of other stuff they've given away recently that seems to be limited to a single character, trying to narrow it down. I have no real investment in anything atm, like a 20something cleric is my highest character.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I don't really play swordsmen, but I know that doppel 3 is ridiculous in terms of damage.

e: just ask in discord about builds. DO NOT TRUST TOSBASE AND ANY OF THEIR BUILDS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 7, 2017

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Prel posted:

Are swordsmen really bad? There's so few of them listed towards the top.

I quit right after launch and still have some kind of founder pack thing and a bunch of other stuff they've given away recently that seems to be limited to a single character, trying to narrow it down. I have no real investment in anything atm, like a 20something cleric is my highest character.

Some of their specs are top tier right now. Swordsman > Highlander 3 > Barb 1 > Dopple 3 literally shits out damage. Looking at the list, #1 on the list is the standard big aoe dps mage. #2 takes 0 gear and 0 attributes to be one of the best supports. 3,4,5 are all good farming classes.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I don't really play swordsmen, but I know that doppel 3 is ridiculous in terms of damage.

Hy_C posted:

Some of their specs are top tier right now. Swordsman > Highlander 3 > Barb 1 > Dopple 3 literally shits out damage. Looking at the list, #1 on the list is the standard big aoe dps mage. #2 takes 0 gear and 0 attributes to be one of the best supports. 3,4,5 are all good farming classes.

Yeah thanks, got some info on discord too. Didn't consider that swordsman might not be as cookie cutter so it's spread out over that list more. I'll have to see if there's a circle that looks rad for them.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.
dont get rugal'd

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I hit 300 recently and I'm curious on where to go to gear up or what I should be doing in general for "late game". 3 Wiz 3 Ele 2 Warlock I read somewhere the War Mage Gear was pretty good. I'm having a tough time staying alive in Tatenye Prison. Is my build not a great solo'r or are potions just going to be a big money sink for me?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FalloutGod posted:

I hit 300 recently and I'm curious on where to go to gear up or what I should be doing in general for "late game". 3 Wiz 3 Ele 2 Warlock I read somewhere the War Mage Gear was pretty good. I'm having a tough time staying alive in Tatenye Prison. Is my build not a great solo'r or are potions just going to be a big money sink for me?

That spec is fine. Tatenye prison has a lot of mobs, so it's harder to avoid them which is probably why you are dying. You will need to chug hp potions unless you are with a healer.

War Mage is a good set of gear.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
So whats the best class to solo with? I might as well make use of the beginner event. Getting to 300 was a breeze and now that I know where the dungeons are it will be even quicker.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FalloutGod posted:

So whats the best class to solo with? I might as well make use of the beginner event. Getting to 300 was a breeze and now that I know where the dungeons are it will be even quicker.

Probably an archer2 ranger2 appraiser1(or ranger 3 if you are too lazy to do the class quest for appraiser) SR3. Buff yourself with limacon(and overestimate if applicable), hold down your subweapon attack button and try not to fall asleep.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Probably an archer2 ranger2 appraiser1(or ranger 3 if you are too lazy to do the class quest for appraiser) SR3. Buff yourself with limacon(and overestimate if applicable), hold down your subweapon attack button and try not to fall asleep.

So kinda on this note, I decided to dump all my compensation stuff and the founder's stuff I had never redeemed on an archer. I'm only A2 atm, and since the lag has been pretty miserable I watched some videos to get a feel for the other circles. I'm considering the archer/ranger/appraiser/SR3 build from above, some kind of falconer, or sapper/fletcher/mergen.

Seems like A2/Sap3/Falc3 and A2/QS3/Falc3 are the most common builds for Falconer.

A2/Sap2/Fle3/Merg is the build I've seen thrown around for that.

SR sounds effective and maybe boring...but I get to ride around on this penguin they gave me and shoot things with a pistol so there's that?

Anybody steer me towards or away from any of these in particular? This is my first character so I'd like to avoid anything that requires a lot of gear to be effective, and I'd probably like to be at least reasonably good at farming. Being passable for most game activities would be great, being absolute min/max best for bosses or whatever isn't important for this guy.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If you play more during primetime and like parties, go Falconer. Support classes have it nice and easy with gear requirements and both of your choices under Falconer work great for farming.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Prel posted:

So kinda on this note, I decided to dump all my compensation stuff and the founder's stuff I had never redeemed on an archer. I'm only A2 atm, and since the lag has been pretty miserable I watched some videos to get a feel for the other circles. I'm considering the archer/ranger/appraiser/SR3 build from above, some kind of falconer, or sapper/fletcher/mergen.

Seems like A2/Sap3/Falc3 and A2/QS3/Falc3 are the most common builds for Falconer.

A2/Sap2/Fle3/Merg is the build I've seen thrown around for that.

SR sounds effective and maybe boring...but I get to ride around on this penguin they gave me and shoot things with a pistol so there's that?

Anybody steer me towards or away from any of these in particular? This is my first character so I'd like to avoid anything that requires a lot of gear to be effective, and I'd probably like to be at least reasonably good at farming. Being passable for most game activities would be great, being absolute min/max best for bosses or whatever isn't important for this guy.

Go SR. It just needs a decent weapon and you are good to go. Also you are faster than 99% of the mobs so you don't need many hp potions. It can do good damage as well.

Falconer is expensive as you need to invest into the circling attribute to really maximize the class. It totals 25m to max out. Also it's more of a support archer than dps.

Fletcher / Mergen is powerful against bosses with low mobility, but SR is a better farmer.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Falconer is expensive as you need to invest into the circling attribute to really maximize the class. It totals 25m to max out. Also it's more of a support archer than dps.

:eyepop: ok I did not know maxing that attribute cost that much. I did know that it's a really powerful attribute that makes doing 1F/6F/11F/16F/etc. of Earth Tower very comfortable for other party members

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

PSA: If you create a new account right now, you get the full EXPstravaganza extended downtime rewards from last week AND the regular downtime compensation for the past 4 weeks. All it requires creating a new Steam account, verifying your email address, and logging in to ToS - no need to redownload, all of your keybinds are carried over, etc

This includes:
40 exp tomes (craftable into 5 8x tomes with no expiration date)
edit: I was wrong it's only 20 exp tomes :shrug:
40 fortune cookies (no expiration date)
20 dungeon resets (12 have no expiration date)
16 dungeon multiplier tokens (all expire)

But wait, there's more!

You also still get the New Player box which has no expiration date. The New Player event only lasts a few more days, but it gives you up to:
10 8x EXP tomes (expiration date)
35 fortune cookies (no expiration)
Free warps to the level 50 and 80 dungeons, and to Fedimian at 100
(I'm not sure if the box will be usable after the event ends, probably not. Getting all the rewards from it requires level 100, which is about ~2 hours of work with all of this)

But wait, there's even more!

Then you can grab the Free DLC from the Steam store for a 7 day token and 10 Enchant Scrolls

This is unlikely to last much longer so do it soon if it's a thing you're interested in doing. There are enough exp tomes here to easily coast a new character to 330 (1-290 took me 5 tomes, I have 15 for this account). If you have a shitload of time to kill over the next 14 days you could farm up a virtually limitless amount of high level alts for pract farming, then any time you get a Pract just buy a token for silver and trade it to your main :thumbsup:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 9, 2017

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

When/where/how is the best way to use all that XP boosting stuff? I'm probably not gonna level an army of alts but I have most of it from compensation/returning player and they're just sitting in my inventory/mailbox atm so I don't "waste" them. Not sure if there are any obtuse stacking rules or anything. Wouldn't mind leveling this first character as fast as possible since I don't care about the story in this game at all.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Prel posted:

When/where/how is the best way to use all that XP boosting stuff? I'm probably not gonna level an army of alts but I have most of it from compensation/returning player and they're just sitting in my inventory/mailbox atm so I don't "waste" them. Not sure if there are any obtuse stacking rules or anything. Wouldn't mind leveling this first character as fast as possible since I don't care about the story in this game at all.
Use 8x Tomes when you do dungeons, use Multiply Tokens to maximize tometime, eat resets to do the next dungeon, etc. /indun will tell you where the next dungeons are; explore to them and grab the nearby teleport statues before binging on tomes, or else you'll waste tometime running to the next dungeon.

Luckily, 110/200 and 140/170 dungeons are right next to each other, so it's pretty smooth up into the 200s. 230 is in Fedimian, a city with teleport scrolls, so that's not bad either. You have to run out to 260+, but by then it's not so bad.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
I played this around launch but it was sort of a dumpster fire at the time; since it seems to be less bad now, could I get a build that makes Sorcerer as not-bad as it can be? I wanna ride around on a big demon

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

LightningSquid posted:

I played this around launch but it was sort of a dumpster fire at the time; since it seems to be less bad now, could I get a build that makes Sorcerer as not-bad as it can be? I wanna ride around on a big demon

Sorcerers are actually getting buffed eventually (maybe in around two months) as a summon-buffing patch hit in Korea recently. I was going to make a Sorc but switched to Necromancer, but since they both operate off of summons, they play similarly. Summon damage is based on your SPR while most spells are based on INT, and you need at LEAST Circle 2 in Sorceror to ride the demon, but just one circle to summon it. With that in mind, here's some builds:

Wiz3ThaumSorc2Feather2 - Summon a demon, ride it, make it huge, make it fly, make it leave a blood trail behind it. Probably want to build INT for this since your summon gains damage based on your magic attack while riding, and this is a riding-based build. Sort of a meme

WizCryo3Sorc3 and then a final circle of whatever - Probably the "correct" Sorcerer-focused build, make a big cold tree to slow enemies and then let your pets go at them

WizCryo3SorcNecro3 - Probably the "correct" summoning class build. Lets you summon the demon but not ride it, cold tree and then a billion skeletons

Wiz3ThaumSorc2Warlock2 - Another INT-based build which turns you into a damage-making GBS threads edgemaster. You're honestly primarily a Warlock, but your cooldowns are super long so in the meantime you ride the demon while waiting for your real good spells to come off of cooldown. Not optimal but is cool

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
Thinking of giving this game a try over the summer since I'm not taking summer classes (will be working but eh, need money to eat.) The MMO I have the most experience with is maplestory, how does it compare to that? Also, I saw that necromancy is an option at some point, is it possible to make a build around that (....which hopefully doesn't suck?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Stool Sample posted:

Thinking of giving this game a try over the summer since I'm not taking summer classes (will be working but eh, need money to eat.) The MMO I have the most experience with is maplestory, how does it compare to that? Also, I saw that necromancy is an option at some point, is it possible to make a build around that (....which hopefully doesn't suck?)

Make your account like...right now, since the tons of free stuff free player event ends in two days or so. Also, Necromancer is a class! I actually just made my Wizard into a Necromancer an hour ago. As of now they're the go-to afk farming class, but a big summoning buff just hit the Korean version which makes them really good. Now's a good time to get in on the ground floor as a summoning hipster and playing one before it was cool.

• Locked thread