Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I booted it up and played through to the 2nd boss in one sitting.

I remapped the injection and dodge buttons to match Bloodborne for my sanity and this game definitely has awesome combat.

Wondering when I'll get a new Exo suit and drone modules. I got the volatile specter and the dual blades lvld to MKIII and I'm just slaughtering everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
New suits, and the drone, start opening up in the second area. The Surge is a fairly monotonous game when it comes to environments - industrial grey with health and safety yellow, everywhere, forever - but there's a lot to poke around and find in terms of items and equipment.

I second the suggestion to switch off slow motion executions. Worth having them on "low" so they trigger when you get new equipment from performing one, but they get kind of old. :v:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bust Rodd posted:

It's on sale for 29.99 on Steam through the weekend.

That being said, if I'm just gonna play this with a 360 controller on PC can anyone tell me if the PC port is good/better than the PS4? I have a PS4 Pro but I kind of want to keep it just for exclusives. Is there any reason not to take this game on PC over PS4?

Energy is the equivalent of mana and primarily builds up from hitting enemies, there are missable injections/health potions that convert energy to flat health that are meant to answer the question "how do I survive with so few health potions?"

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

It's on sale for 29.99 on Steam through the weekend.

That being said, if I'm just gonna play this with a 360 controller on PC can anyone tell me if the PC port is good/better than the PS4? I have a PS4 Pro but I kind of want to keep it just for exclusives. Is there any reason not to take this game on PC over PS4?

I am a proud console pleb

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
The Surge just dropped its first post-release DLC pack - it's free and comes with 10 weapons themed around fire and ice (5 of each).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/702980/The_Surge__Fire__Ice_Weapon_Pack/

From the News page on the update:

quote:

The Surge is releasing today its first post-release DLC for free!

Utilize your powerful exo-suit as you sever limbs, parts, and weaponry from your enemies using The Surge’s unique targeting mechanics and tight combat system.

This free DLC brings 10 new weapons to the game – 5 of fire and 5 of ice – and you will have to fight for them.

Representing fire are the new MG-branded weapons. These high-tech military weapons are deadlier versions of CREO’s riot control products, capable of high physical damage with low elemental damage. Repeatedly attacking humanoid enemies with these red-hot blades will create a powerful fire-based explosion.

Also available in this DLC, the ice weapons cometh! These are CREO’s space travel testing tools, concepts and prototypes constructed in their very own R&D labs. These weapons were created to test materials in the cold darkness of space, and can harness extremely low temperatures.

They are not designed for combat, however, so they have low physical damage but high elemental damage. Wielding these weapons provide a passive bonus to health.

Once the DLC is installed, consult the security memo and the CREO newsletter added to your inventory's Organizer, and use their clues to locate these 10 deadly weapons and tear them from the limbs of your foes!

This is just the beginning – the Surge’s upcoming Premium DLC ‘A Walk in the Park’ releases later this year. Players will be able to get new weapons, fight new enemies, and explore an abandoned amusement park. This will also include a new free content update that improves the end-game experience for high-level players.
Downloading now, so haven't tried the new weapons yet, but they should definitely be worth checking out during a New Game+ run for spicing up things.

Also, to commemorate the DLC, the game's half off for the week.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
lol I'm not gonna lie the game didn't really need more weapon variants, it already has too many redundant weapons honestly.

These fuckers need to stop teasing this new DLC and drop that poo poo already, my body is so ready to ply more of this game but I want to play the new poo poo when I do. :argh:

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
I can't find any info about this for Xbox. I'm guessing this is pc only for now.

Game owns, and unless something comes out of nowhere this has still got to be my GOTY vote. Such a surprisingly awesome game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

swims posted:

I can't find any info about this for Xbox. I'm guessing this is pc only for now.

Game owns, and unless something comes out of nowhere this has still got to be my GOTY vote. Such a surprisingly awesome game.

It appears to be available on PS4 as well. I'd check out the Xbox storefront and see if it has the weapon pack as an add-on.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

swims posted:

XBone got the update, I don't believe the weapons were an add on. If Surge is installed, check for updates, and once all the updates available are installed you should be able to get the new weapons.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Sounds good. I'll check it out.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I apologize in advance for the short novel and for necromancing the thread just to complain, but I just bought the game because of the recent (ongoing?) sale after keeping The Surge in my useless wishlist almost since release and I'm really disappointed. I liked the demo well enough, and I also liked most of the first area in the full game, but the 3 hit combo of the first boss being such a goddamn bore, the train taking me to the second area feeling very un-Souls-like and said second area being kind of poo poo drained my will to play this game.

At first, like most people, I thought that the ability to target individual limbs was interesting and added depth to the combat, but before long it just became a way to grind materials more easily. Need to build or upgrade an arm? Attack armored arms! Don't need anything? Attack an unarmored part or the head! I appreciate that kind of control over loot, but there could be so much more to the combat system than just that. It also shines a light over how weightless and limp the combat animations, sounds and visuals are. I know it's been said a few times already, but attacks either go completely through the enemy or send them to the ground, nothing in between. Enemy attacks are also hard to tell from flourishes and other animations which makes it hard to read enemies at first, and extra hard to block and especially parry those attacks.

The level design is also disappointing, at least in the first area. I get that I woke up in some kind of disposal area, surrounded by old rockets and junk that somehow makes a path toward the train station, but why are there 5 different doors leading from that junkyard into some kind of production area (other than to provide shortcuts for a player character after some kind of apocalypse)? What the gently caress is the point of an area that's just 4 feet off the ground, leading into nothing, other than to make it inaccessible for the player? Why stack boxes in the middle of a corridor for the entire width of it, other than to hide the shortcut from a player?

The game is also kind of ugly, especially the textures.

I can't really complain about the plot yet, but I'm afraid a couple of things aren't going to be explained to my satisfaction. The intro makes it seem like I'm a new employ going through the normal process of starting to work at CREO, but at the same time the world makes it seem like whatever happened to gently caress everything up happened at least a little while ago. Some things feel like they've been abandoned for a while, but other things feel like everything is working as usual. I rode a perfectly functional train to a station where I was guided by a perfectly normal PA system and security guards, but then a robot lied about sedating me before drilling a hole into my head and sending me to a junkyard. I'm surrounded by zombies, but clearly sane security workers are guarding doors to restricted areas like it's a monday morning.

In all honesty, I think the difficulty spike in the second area is partially to blame for my outburst. My very first impression of it was being killed in two hammer swings by the first enemy, then being killed in two swipes by the claw guys downstairs, then trying to attack the security guards and being killed in one attack. Maybe it'll grow back on me once I figure out how everything works, but the jank is really making it hard to power through the difficult parts.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I don't think at that point you have a lot of the Max Health runes/nodes/whatever they are called, but stacking those makes a sort of a day/night difference in the difficulty. The second area is definitely not inspired, and unfortunately it doesn't really get much better later on, except the last two areas are sort of nice. Doesn't help the second area is also huge and a maze, at least going through it the first time.

The story is something you will only get bits and pieces about and you'll have to glue it all together and connect the dots.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I'm at the point where crystal enemies are normal and I'm kind of lost on where to go. I wanted to play it like the last 2 souls games and not look at a guide until I've beaten it. And I'll likely need to check again as I've put it down for a few months now. It certainly gets more connected later in the game, though it does nothing except make it more confusing. I feel like I'm way higher level than I need to be, since I've gone through so many areas while trying to figure it where to go.

No way I buy the dlc for this. And they honestly only got my sale cause I was hot off a long and satisfying Dark Souls 3 binge.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Targeting limbs does have some tactical use. Your moveset changes based on what limb you have targeted, each weapon type has a moveset for the right and left halves of the body. But even still, it's a strange stance to complain that the system is underutilized because it has no point beyond chopping off limbs for parts, while also stating multiple uses beyond chopping off limbs for parts.

Phuzun posted:

I'm at the point where crystal enemies are normal and I'm kind of lost on where to go. I wanted to play it like the last 2 souls games and not look at a guide until I've beaten it. And I'll likely need to check again as I've put it down for a few months now. It certainly gets more connected later in the game, though it does nothing except make it more confusing. I feel like I'm way higher level than I need to be, since I've gone through so many areas while trying to figure it where to go.

No way I buy the dlc for this. And they honestly only got my sale cause I was hot off a long and satisfying Dark Souls 3 binge.

The 'goal' of that area is to move the ops center up to the third level, because that allows for access to the inner workings of the rocket storage area. From there you need to get to the top far corner so you can turn on the electricity and short out the nanobots blocking your path to the next area.

edit: You can get where you need to go without the ops center being moved, but it makes it much easier. Generally speaking you want to get as Up as possible.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 4, 2017

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

CJacobs posted:

Targeting limbs does have some tactical use. Your moveset changes based on what limb you have targeted, each weapon type has a moveset for the right and left halves of the body. But even still, it's a strange hypocritical stance to complain that the system is underutilized because it has no point beyond chopping off limbs for parts, while also stating multiple uses beyond chopping off limbs for parts.
Well, I stated the two uses that I noticed, which were to target the part that you need for loot, or the part that takes more damage if you don't need the loot. Maybe my expectations aren't realistic, but when I think of games where you can target individual body parts, I think of Fallout, where you can cripple, disarm or blind your enemies, or Dead Space, where enemies can be left slowed down or rendered harmless before actually killing them, or MGR Revengeance, where you can turn someone into a torso that shouts insults at you, then pull their spine out, or that Half-Life mod that simulated how fast you bled out based on which of your organs had been shot. I mean, none of those could realistically be put wholesale into The Surge, but some variation would have been interesting. As it is, the only difference it makes is how fast the enemy dies and the likelyhood of getting a specific drop.

I have to admit that I didn't notice the different movesets, which is really cool, but I also wonder how much actual impact they have on the combat since I struggle to notice a difference between horizontal and vertical attacks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that it could be expanded further, but I don't think it needs it. Enemies don't last very long in this game, so if you could cripple limbs etc it wouldn't really matter much because they'd already be mostly dead. I think that if they were to do that, increasing enemy health while widening the damage gap between unarmored and armored body parts would go a long way to making the system more interesting.

As for the difference your moveset makes, there's actually even more variation that you possibly haven't realized. Try combining R1 and R2 attacks and most weapons will give you special combo moves. Try holding R1 or R2 on your first swing of an attack combo and it'll do more damage with a different animation. The combat is surprisingly intricate and once you start utilizing combos it becomes more about keeping an enemy stunned so that you can rattle off more attacks.

edit: Also (endgame spoilers), I saw a post from someone on the Steam Forums speculating that Sally is the culprit for your surgery being botched at the start, intentionally trying to create workers who were not connected to the neural network and thus not affected by the titular surge. This is based on Mallory, whose audio-logs you can find throughout the game. She basically follows the same path as you, trying to reach the Executive Forum and stop the launch of Project Utopia. But when she gives up, Sally immediately discards her and leaves her to die, implying that she is the reason Mallory was disconnected from the network and didn't get turned into a zombie. It's a really interesting theory and I like it!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 6, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also (endgame spoilers), I saw a post from someone on the Steam Forums speculating that Sally is the culprit for your surgery being botched at the start, intentionally trying to create workers who were not connected to the neural network and thus not affected by the titular surge. This is based on Mallory, whose audio-logs you can find throughout the game. She basically follows the same path as you, trying to reach the Executive Forum and stop the launch of Project Utopia. But when she gives up, Sally immediately discards her and leaves her to die, implying that she is the reason Mallory was disconnected from the network and didn't get turned into a zombie. It's a really interesting theory and I like it!

This is really interesting, but honestly I really wish we could play as Mallory. She's got more going on than Warren as presented in the game and there's no reason she couldn't also be wheelchair girl in addition to her established characterization.

I also still think the game really would've benefited from having more non-dude enemies, 95% of what you fight are variations of dude and more monstrous enemies that weren't the dumb rock monsters would've really helped.

There not really being a reason to use the non-boss weapons after the first level also doesn't help matters, unfortunately. I can think of exactly two non-boss weapons that are worth using, and that's the Fractal Reaver and the purple hammer with the German name I can't spell (though I do know what it means! :yayclod: ).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new fire and ice weapons are loving nuts and you should give them a shot if you haven't seen them yet. They explode when you deal enough damage with them over a short period, which does a big flame AOE around you. The ice ones increase your health and build up energy faster.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CJacobs posted:

The new fire and ice weapons are loving nuts and you should give them a shot if you haven't seen them yet. They explode when you deal enough damage with them over a short period, which does a big flame AOE around you. The ice ones increase your health and build up energy faster.

Oh word? That's pretty cool, I don't want to replay the game until the DLC comes out so I am not burnt out on it. I'll be sure to try those though when I do. The DLC weapons came to console right, that wasn't just a PC exclusive thing?

Excluding the DLC weapons and boss weapons, I think the game would've been better off if they'd had fewer weapons that had more varied movesets, there's only one non-DLC weapon in the game that feels unique to use and you have to play NG+ to use it.

The fact that there's only one weapon in the game that experimented with ranged attacks (as far as I recall) was also a disappointment, and I hope they do really out there stuff with the DLC. I'm also crossing my fingers that this isn't the only DLC drop, and that it comes with at least 2 levels and 2 bosses. If they had at least two or three of that size I think it would really bring the game up a level in quality.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the DLC did come to consoles, but I don't know for sure. Either way, it's free, so you may as well grab it if it did.

All of the game's weapons (or rather, pretty much all of them) have at least one unique move or combo, but other than that weapons of the same class generally have the same moveset. I can see why they did it that way, because sticking with the chainsaw sword for the whole game would get a bit boring. Therefore they provide you with straight upgrades like the hammer and then later the head-on-a-stick, which all have basically the same moveset and only slight stat variations to force and stun amounts, but just get better faster with fewer upgrades. The similarity between them is both good and bad, I think; it allows you to pretty much pick and choose whatever you want to wield and they're all viable, but also it creates a lot of homogeny between them. Overall I think the game does have too many weapons but they have funny descriptions and look cool so I don't really mind.

Here's their blurb on the Walk in the Park DLC, which is coming at the start of December and will probably cost 10-15 bucks:

quote:

Hi everyone,

Our hardcore action RPG The Surge is set to be enriched even further with the release of a major new expansion: A Walk in the Park, coming early December. Discover today the very first images taken from this striking new setting

The Surge has already dragged players deep into the high-tech CREO industrial complex, overrun by deadly machines, rogue AI and deranged exoskeleton workers.

Now, in its first major expansion, A Walk in the Park gives you a breath of fresh air by taking them to an environment that’s more open and colorful, though no less deadly.

CREO World is an amusement park built by CREO for its employees and their families. Forget your cravings for cotton candy though – CREO World was not spared from the disaster. The entire park is a deadly trap, where roaming rescue teams have gone insane and robotic mascots patrol freely, patiently waiting for new visitors to offer a deadly welcome.

CREO World presents a wealth of fresh challenges. Originally built to celebrate CREO and its mission, the park is a radically different setting from the rest of the complex, full of branching paths and secrets to discover.

Survive the raging mascots and explore the park's attractions, before taking on a fearsome boss in the devastated park. Through technical and spectacular fights, you will face this new threat, cutting and equipping 16 all-new weapons, sets of armor, and implants to upgrade and further customize the way you want to play.

The A Walk in the Park expansion enriches and extends the experience of the original game, offering a challenge for even the most hardcore players in a striking environment.

New players will also be able to embark on the ultimate The Surge experience with the Complete Edition, which includes the full game and all the DLCs of the title, including A Walk in the Park.

The Surge: Complete Edition and A Walk in the Park will be available at the end of the year.

Note the specific wording of "First major expansion", implying there will be more than one. Note also that there are three new suits, three new weapons, and two new enemy types in the screenshots, so there'll be at least those if not more.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 6, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This DLC looks really good and I'll probably get it when it drops. I downloaded the fire/ice weapons but I haven't touched my file since I beat the game the first time. I'll probably go into the DLC on NG+ and collect the new weapons on the way.

I just hope they don't make the DLC boss as annoying as Black Cerberus.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CJacobs posted:

Note the specific wording of "First major expansion", implying there will be more than one. Note also that there are three new suits, three new weapons, and two new enemy types in the screenshots, so there'll be at least those if not more.

On the flip side of this, it's releasing with "The Surge: Complete Edition." My interpretation is that "it's the first major expansion" as opposed to the weapon pack, which was minor.

I hope we get more than one though! :yayclod:

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This DLC looks really good and I'll probably get it when it drops. I downloaded the fire/ice weapons but I haven't touched my file since I beat the game the first time. I'll probably go into the DLC on NG+ and collect the new weapons on the way.

I just hope they don't make the DLC boss as annoying as Black Cerberus.
My great shame as a player with regards to the Black Cerberus fight is the first time you fight him each playthrough, he has a full security detail with him, including a tripod robot, and they all rush you at once. Each run so far, I died horribly every single time; respawning and starting the fight over reduces the fight to just Black Cerberus. The best attempt I had, I took out the detail, but got stunned by a triple hammer wave and mauled by the robot. Just once I want to earn my keep and beat the fight the way the designers intended!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

40 Proof Listerine posted:

My great shame as a player with regards to the Black Cerberus fight is the first time you fight him each playthrough, he has a full security detail with him, including a tripod robot, and they all rush you at once. Each run so far, I died horribly every single time; respawning and starting the fight over reduces the fight to just Black Cerberus. The best attempt I had, I took out the detail, but got stunned by a triple hammer wave and mauled by the robot. Just once I want to earn my keep and beat the fight the way the designers intended!

Oh huh, yeah. I killed them easily as I recall, I found the fight frustrating because he'll keep summoning PAX robots, like up to three times, unless you use the PAX robot's missiles on some completely nondescript pieces of machinery in the corners of the arena. It is a pain in the rear end to bait the shots, as they are really fast and accurate and the hitbox is wonky and you have to try to line up yourself with the machine, keeping the enemy in your sights, then dodge successfully...and then of course, sometimes you can knock a PAX over easily and other times you just can't find an angle to hit its leg and you just get stomped. Fighting the guy himself is a ton of fun, but he's surrounded by bullshit.

I do think 90 percent of my frustration with this game came from situations where I felt I was struggling with the game's mechanics -- like if I have to swap targets on the fly. The Big Sister fight was also really headache-inducing; both of those fights would be the biggest weak points I'd have with the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

40 Proof Listerine posted:

I don't think that is the way the designers intended, considering if you just wait for a minute he sends them all away to do their business. It is fun to just jump right into the mosh pit and start a riot though. :v:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So if NG+ a bad time to start building proficiency in my other weapons? I was basically a one-handed specialist my first playthrough, but I got my rear end kicked with staffs so much that I thought I'd use this fire stick I got on my last quest, but my proficiency is like...2. And also Apparently all of my equipment is upgradeable o Mark VI-Mark IX or whatever? That's great, but I can't upgrade lower...so my level 1 staff needs 50k scrap to get boosted to a Mark VI! So I can keep boosting my survivability and damage output even against NG+ stats then?

EDIT: Did they add super powered enemies in NG+ there's an axe man in the first level literally one-shotting me in my best armor.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 20, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Those have always been in the game but yes, the Frankenstein enemies are new terrifying spawns in NG+.

And yeah, each NG cycle adds new levels of scrap, parts, and equipment all the way up to I think mk 20.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Those have always been in the game but yes, the Frankenstein enemies are new terrifying spawns in NG+.

And yeah, each NG cycle adds new levels of scrap, parts, and equipment all the way up to I think mk 20.

Yikes. I like the power creep in concept, but if I'm just gonna face random one-hit kills, I may just start a vanilla new game. Should I just keep upgrading my armor and weapons and I'll eventually reach a happy medium?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yikes. I like the power creep in concept, but if I'm just gonna face random one-hit kills, I may just start a vanilla new game. Should I just keep upgrading my armor and weapons and I'll eventually reach a happy medium?

NG+, like new game, eventually hits a point where you’re strong enough to go toe to toe. It comes a bit later in NG+ though.

The RNG guys are not too bad if you aggressively target their weak points and don’t go for specific cut off loot.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Use your anti-kinetic shield ability on your drone - it takes the damage down to a much, much more manageable level. You should have enough energy after throwing on a +20% energy generation module you can run the shield about every major fight.

If you missed it on the first playthrough, it's located a fair ways into the game, so you'll have to get aggressive with a bunch of energy > health injections in the meantime, along with sick jukes on leaping over and ducking under attacks.

Upgrading your weapons and armor on par with the enemy does make a huge difference; the huge NG+ scrap costs in going from 4 > 6 or higher mean that you'll have to pick 3 suits you really like (light, medium, heavy) and stick with upgrading them, but once you start mastering getting bigger streaks (especially after getting to R&D) you can get 150k scrap in a single short streak, which lets you get the rest of your gear up to par.

I really appreciated Scarab, Liquidator, and Black Cerberus on NG+ as a result, the extra defense for the first two and extra damage on the latter really shine.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd been thinking of swapping the Black Cerberus chest out for the Protean, but if it's got such a ringing endorsement maybe I'll stick along with it after all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lost all my time just now on a speedrun where I reached the final boss half an hour ahead of my record. That thing still does an utterly ridiculous amount of damage imo. What a waste of 3 hours.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not finding any decent youtube guides on the DLC weapons, I'm trying to track down the ice ones in the labs and R&D but so far I haven't found a single one. Where are the weapon guys at?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm not finding any decent youtube guides on the DLC weapons, I'm trying to track down the ice ones in the labs and R&D but so far I haven't found a single one. Where are the weapon guys at?

There are enemies out in the world that are carrying them, they respawn as well should you fail the cut.

They begin in the second level and you’ll have found the last one by the time you’ve gotten to the Executive Forum. There’s one of each weapon class, of each element, so 10 total.

Hey CJacobs, I was watching the stream archive of you playing this game and I wanted to note that since you played they’ve patched, the two security guys down where Central Production connects to the last level have been moved to where it connects to R&D and there’s a bunch of CREO World ads around where Irina first appears and then down by the tram. There’s also a door there I don’t recall having been there previously. I suspect that will be the DLC entrance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What! Nice! I'll have to check that out! Guess I did my stream a week or so too early to catch all that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CJacobs posted:

What! Nice! I'll have to check that out! Guess I did my stream a week or so too early to catch all that.

Yup, it’s well placed so that you can pretty much go wherever, but based on its proximity to the connection to the final level I’m assuming it’s going to be one of those “this is not an easy zone, wait until later in the game to do this” type deals.

Edit: I just confirmed by rewatching your video, the door used to be a vending machine and all the ads weren’t there. 100% gonna be the DLC entrance.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 26, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Black Cerberus status: still a pain in my rear end.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Black Cerberus status: still a pain in my rear end.

I just played through more of NG++ to find the DLC weapons, and I finally figured out how to trivialize the fight. I never really hosed with drone modules too much, because honestly they mostly seemed useless (or at least not reliable). But I'm gaining more energy than in previous runs, and now I can more reliably use drone attacks. In particular, the Concussive Module seems to be perfect for Black Cerberus--it knocks him on his rear end, even during his annoying combo attacks, so you can move in and get a whole bunch of attacks in while he's vulnerable.

Also, NG++ seems to be kinda broken (at least in the latter half of the playthrough), since I'm consistently getting enough tech scrap while fighting to keep my health injection implant refilled. I wonder if NG+++ is even more broken

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Also, I caught up on this thread after months and thanks to whoever mentioned there are backstabs--I actually had no idea, because I never thought to try. Also thanks for mentioning that different combo chains result from starting on a quick attack vs. a charged attack (but i can rarely get in charged attacks with Fractal Reaver, so it doesn't matter that much lol)

I was never great at jump/duck dodging, but I remember that the game used to go into slo-mo whenever i dodged those tripod enemies in Central Production B---that seems to be gone now. Did this get patched out, or am I no longer dodging correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
There appears to be another new door leading to what will be the DLC, in R&D.

• Locked thread