Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I hope this is the right subforum for this. If it isn't, please point me in the right direction.

Anyway, this isn't a huge problem but it's been bugging me for a bit. For awhile now, every time I go to a YouTube video, it plays in 360p. I have to pause the video, manually switch the quality to 1080p or 720p depending on the video, then unpause it. It's rather annoying mainly because I mostly watch videos on my iPad and the buttons are tiny and hard to tap.

I've googled how to fix this and the consensus seems to be that I need to go into my account settings and change the default quality. I can't. Here's the problem. Every site I go to shows me something like this:

But on my settings, that top option isn't there. It just shows the annotation and caption settings.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Shot in the dark here:

Have you tried changing it on a laptop/desktop? I had set my account for max quality for my computer and it murdered the bandwidth on my phone when I logged in. It seems the settings are linked for all devices (I have my youtube on 6 different devices.) and it's more than likely going to be there if you log in on a desktop or laptop.

Worth a try at least.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 16, 2017

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Lonos Oboe posted:

Shot in the dark here:

Have you tried changing it on a laptop/desktop? I had set my account for max quality for my computer and it murdered the bandwidth on my phone when I logged in. It seems the settings are linked for all devices (I have my youtube on 6 different devices.) and it's more than likely going to be there if you log in on a desktop or laptop.

Worth a try at least.

Yes. I may not have made it clear, but that's what I'm talking about. That option is not present on my PC.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
That option isn't there anymore. Youtube player is supposed to remember the quality you selected, and automatically switch to the closest available quality on future videos. This doesn't work reliably for me, and when it does the player takes 15 - 20 seconds to switch to a higher quality. Instead I use the browser extension Magic Actions for Youtube. It has a bunch of features I like in addition to forcing a default quality setting.

Edit: The Youtube Help page on the subject. (bolding mine)

quote:

Change video quality
Change the video quality by going to Settings in the corner of the video player, and selecting your preferred quality.

On mobile devices, adjust quality settings by tapping Menu , then Settings . This option isn’t available on all devices (e.g. TV/game consoles), or connections (e.g. iOS on a cellular network).

Note that choosing lower video quality (such as 240p and 360p) will make videos start more quickly. The video player will remember this for future playbacks.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 30, 2017

• Locked thread