Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
99% of the intangible mental stuff people talk about is dumb as hell, at least at the UFC level, because nobody reaches that point without being really psychologically suited for the fight game. There are only a few people who I've seen in the UFC in the past few years who I think just aren't fighters at heart. Anthony Johnson is one. He made it to the very top on sheer talent but really didn't have the mental game to be a fighter and would basically crumble when his opponents managed to fight back. Or maybe he did, I don't know the man and I've never done anything like what he has.

I wouldn't actually bet on a fight based on "Anthony Johnson has no heart", though the no heart factor might have contributed to things like him fading and not fighting back after long grappling exchanges.

Most psychological things about fighters tend to be more related to adjustment/fight IQ. Like I think Vitor tends to just quit 7 minutes into a fight because he's never really developed a Plan B beyond "murder this guy with lots of punches". Or more generally, front runners who fall apart when things don't work are just experiencing a failure of fight IQ. Someone like Matt Brown has a "lot of heart" because he's used to getting in a lot of trouble early in fights and gutting it out to win anyway. Erick Silva's early fight career was just him murking guys, so he didn't really have an answer when he fought less naturally gifted guys like Fitch and Brown who just kept getting up after he hurt them bad.

basically you can make judgments about fight IQ and durability, but not about heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread