Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
homeless man masturbating in alley confirms multiple seth rich conspiracies -fox news, 8 minutes ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm a journalist, so obviously I'm a little biased, but anonymous sources aren't in themselves a problem. They're often necessary - whistleblowers in government and business need the protection. But they do need to be used carefully, and I think it's time for more news services to be clear about how they verify their sources, and what makes them choose to trust a source. Journalism should be transparent.

This is why it's important to know the difference between credible and not credible news, but there have been enough high-profile failures (remember NYT coverage in the Iraq runup) that I don't blame people for being distrustful. I do blame them when they then buy into news that doesn't even follow basic journalistic practices, whether it's talk radio or those million blogs that all look like HuffPo.

That's a fair stance and I can agree to that. Unfortunately the last guy and the current one don't hold our views of whistleblower protection and the media on both ends of the political spectrum are using anonymous sources as a cudgel in an ever increasing rate.

I'm not sure how to stop it, if it can even be stopped.

Feminasty Slut posted:

You know what i'd take a not retarded murderer over the loving drooling idiot we got you dumb assholes.

Just gonna quote this because holy lol

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
DNC staffer gets gunned down in robbery with nothing of value taken while on the phone when he tells the person "hold on I'll call you back" during the same time the DNC is experiencing a massive leak of documents that undermined their whole machine

Nothing to see here

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

VikingSkull posted:

That's a fair stance and I can agree to that. Unfortunately the last guy and the current one don't hold our views of whistleblower protection and the media on both ends of the political spectrum are using anonymous sources as a cudgel in an ever increasing rate.

lol everyone loves whistleblowers till it's their rear end on the line

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

DNC staffer gets gunned down in robbery with nothing of value taken while on the phone when he tells the person "hold on I'll call you back" during the same time the DNC is experiencing a massive leak of documents that undermined their whole machine

Nothing to see here

but before that he was also complaining about being too old for this and retiring in three weeks

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

You don't see anonymous sourcing much below the national level. It happens but it's rare: papers take it very seriously. It's happening a ton at the federal level right now because the Trump administration is dysfunctional. It happened to the Clinton campaign for the same reason. I think the practice seems more prominent than it is because it's so high-profile at the moment.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You don't see anonymous sourcing much below the national level. It happens but it's rare: papers take it very seriously. It's happening a ton at the federal level right now because the Trump administration is dysfunctional. It happened to the Clinton campaign for the same reason. I think the practice seems more prominent than it is because it's so high-profile at the moment.

Unfortunately for me I live close enough to NYC that my local affiliates are basically national level. My local paper does have more journalistic integrity than the national stuff, though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's not just anonymous sources.

It's also the tomfoolery shown by the DNC leaks, what with the DNC basically getting to direct stories.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

Unfortunately for me I live close enough to NYC that my local affiliates are basically national level. My local paper does have more journalistic integrity than the national stuff, though.
Local papers are largely bastions of good journalism, and it's very bad for the US that they're dying.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Lets dive into some retarded conspiracy theory but yeah its totally fine that the retarded potus is telling russians james bond secrets and firing the people investigating him. You people are scum.

E: also you are retards.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Tallgeese posted:

It's also the tomfoolery shown by the DNC leaks, what with the DNC basically getting to direct stories.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Everything about this is troubling, including the ambiguity over whether it can be trusted as real or fake. Actually, it's almost irrelevant whether it is true or not.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Moon Atari posted:

Everything about this is troubling, including the ambiguity over whether it can be trusted as real or fake. Actually, it's almost irrelevant whether it is true or not.

anything is true as long as enough people believe it

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Nothing to see here

yeah pretty crazy that russia killed them right???? lmao

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
What a good thread just knocking it out of the park a+

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

uh i'll have you know that reading the email leaks is actually illegal? please don't pay any attention to this, thanks

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Robo Reagan posted:

ps you can only be declared a traitor during a time of war please learn the legal definition of traitor, america

We're at war with North Korea

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This is possibly more incriminating than talking about napkins or cheese pizza. Why isn't the FBI investigating this instead of the POTUS working for Russia?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

gary oldmans diary posted:

homeless man masturbating in alley confirms multiple seth rich conspiracies -fox news, 8 minutes ago

thats the best part of this like any idiot knows seth rich was murdered for political reasons but there's no evidence for it. like loving lol a private investigator from a local news team is going to uncover this scoop unless the DNC is truly more incompetent than anyone could could have imagined

the reason this story is gaining traction is because no poo poo everyone knows, they want some evidence so they don't get called conspiracy theory retards for putting 2 and 2 together

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Tallgeese posted:

the non-anonymous source is a nutjob who was looked straight in the eye and told he was off the case. then he had to hand in his badge and gun because hes just too much of a loose cannon. and then another 80s cop movie reference happened

nigga crab pollock posted:

thats the best part of this like any idiot knows seth rich was murdered for political reasons but there's no evidence for it. like loving lol a private investigator from a local news team is going to uncover this scoop unless the DNC is truly more incompetent than anyone could could have imagined

the reason this story is gaining traction is because no poo poo everyone knows, they want some evidence so they don't get called conspiracy theory retards for putting 2 and 2 together

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If the DNC wants to assassinate their political enemies how is Roger Stone still alive? Or, like, half of Congress.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Carmant posted:

We're at war with North Korea

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/16/528587064/north-korea-may-be-linked-to-wannacry-ransomware-researchers-say

:tinfoil:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
lmao at the suggestion that the DNC is competent at anything, especially murder. If they could successfully cover up a murder the could have beaten an orange retard.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
also the story is probably gaining traction because of something or other trump happening in the news (so of course dredge up whatever the last hillary thing was). but in all honesty i am tuning out on trump news for a minute. i already know hes a terrible president. i get it

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Feminasty Slut posted:

lmao at the suggestion that the DNC is competent at anything, especially murder. If they could successfully cover up a murder the could have beaten an orange retard.

this is why none of them should ever hold a political office again and should be thrown out on the streets

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I bet Trump would totally have people killed if he wasn't too dumb to get away it. It's what he envies most about the dictators he praises

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Feminasty Slut posted:

Well the news is getting out now so they didn't successfully cover up a murder lmao

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

Statement from the family:

https://twitter.com/alexcampbell/status/864467454155780097

So this Fox News contributor was hired by a third party and not the family, who disavows this report as the work of conspiracy theorists with agendas.

This was quickly thrown together last night by Breitbart as a conflation regarding "anonymous sources" in response to the WaPo story.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Not to defend this or anything, but the big two American political parties do so so much poo poo to you all on a daily basis, why would conspiracy to commit murder be a shock to anyone at this point? This is just routine.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Malinois posted:

So this Fox News contributor was hired by a third party and not the family, who disavows this report as the work of conspiracy theorists with agendas.

This was quickly thrown together last night by Breitbart as a conflation regarding "anonymous sources" in response to the WaPo story.

They're trying to save themselves from getting murked by a Langley hit squad and it (unfortunately) won't work.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it makes sense for the DNC to do some high profile murder right now, just as trump is under fire for his chat with the russians.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Malinois posted:

lol that's the DNC's spokesperson.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
"We didn't allow any private investigator to work on our son's case and now we are mad that he didn't tell us what he found"

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Even granting that his murder is related to his involvement in leaking it is dumb to assume the group responsible. Both sides have motive to commit the murder, and both sides are, in the minds of their opposition's supporters, already definitely guilty of shadey poo poo. Conspiracy theories are now entirely mainstream across the political spectrum. This is incredibly bad news regardless of whether there are actual conspiracies to justify those theories.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Over There posted:

"We didn't allow any private investigator to work on our son's case and now we are mad that he didn't tell us what he found"
are you even reading any of this

if not i gotta say youre at least way ahead of the curve

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Moon Atari posted:

Even granting that his murder is related to his involvement in leaking it is dumb to assume the group responsible. Both sides have motive to commit the murder, and both sides are, in the minds of their opposition's supporters, already definitely guilty of shadey poo poo. Conspiracy theories are now entirely mainstream across the political spectrum. This is incredibly bad news regardless of whether there are actual conspiracies to justify those theories.

Why would a republican kill a DNC leaker

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Bauman, the spokesperson, is a PR professional who specializes in crisis communications for the DNC

Hm.... nothing to see here

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

You do realize this was provided by the loving spokesperson for the family who is a DNC operative, right? This just makes it look more ridiculous. The PI has information and the family wants it to be concealed? Lets just shoot this stupid guy in the back and not steal anything.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Moon Atari posted:

you do know the cia ran a disinfo campaign on the phrase 'conspiracy theorist' to drive a wedge into american politics after the assassination of JFK, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Just think about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of American citizens who've been discreetly executed by their own government and who will likely never get justice.

• Locked thread