Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Finally found the time to beat Echoes today! I definitely missed how quick and easy it was to jump into Fire Emblem and smash reds, since my last FE game I beat was Awakening. After experimenting a little bit with Act 1, I ended up making my main run a Blitzkrieg and Fire Emblem run, so Hard Classic. There are a number of places where things got pretty frustrating if I wasn't prepared enough to put up a fight at the right time.

If I had a criticism about (Hard mode) gameplay and I guess FE Gaiden, it's the huge difference between units with double-digit Res stats and units that don't. I felt like Alm's route had the best balance because of how fights devolved less into alpha-striking with huge spells while avoiding "gotcha" moments from enemy spellcasters, especially ones that had RNG-reliant Mire/Death/Medusa. Enemy Dread Fighters mixed things up a bit later in the story, but were more like man-shaped missiles to defuse rather than troopers who were there to trade blows.

Hidari's art is nice and it's great that the original game was reimagined into something immersive, but the biggest surprise for me was the absolutely fantastic full voice work. We've kind of accepted character stills/artwork for granted in RPGs for a long time now, so I wasn't expecting much in terms of characterization on first sight. Instead, some of the ways the actors hammed up their roles really brought them to life for me. A few months ago I was ready to also play a separate file of Echoes hacked to be an un-dub out of crippling weeb elitism :coal: I'm sure it's that I've just been out of touch for a long time in terms of localized JRPGs and haven't played a lot of recent ones with voice work to know any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I actually have decided to do a run, doing the traditional FE thing of going to 20 and promoting excluding villagers. And they 9/10 times were much better than promoting ASAP. Granted that could be because I was getting godly stat-ups and units were only gaining 1 HP on promotion. Which is... pointless. But, ya know, fun runs. The games still definitely balanced around promoting ASAP

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Finally found the time to beat Echoes today! I definitely missed how quick and easy it was to jump into Fire Emblem and smash reds, since my last FE game I beat was Awakening. After experimenting a little bit with Act 1, I ended up making my main run a Blitzkrieg and Fire Emblem run, so Hard Classic. There are a number of places where things got pretty frustrating if I wasn't prepared enough to put up a fight at the right time.

If I had a criticism about (Hard mode) gameplay and I guess FE Gaiden, it's the huge difference between units with double-digit Res stats and units that don't. I felt like Alm's route had the best balance because of how fights devolved less into alpha-striking with huge spells while avoiding "gotcha" moments from enemy spellcasters, especially ones that had RNG-reliant Mire/Death/Medusa. Enemy Dread Fighters mixed things up a bit later in the story, but were more like man-shaped missiles to defuse rather than troopers who were there to trade blows.

Hidari's art is nice and it's great that the original game was reimagined into something immersive, but the biggest surprise for me was the absolutely fantastic full voice work. We've kind of accepted character stills/artwork for granted in RPGs for a long time now, so I wasn't expecting much in terms of characterization on first sight. Instead, some of the ways the actors hammed up their roles really brought them to life for me. A few months ago I was ready to also play a separate file of Echoes hacked to be an un-dub out of crippling weeb elitism :coal: I'm sure it's that I've just been out of touch for a long time in terms of localized JRPGs and haven't played a lot of recent ones with voice work to know any better.
There's a lot of recent JRPGs with really great dubs, and a few that are actually better than the original voices. Like Cold Steel. Cold Steel's dub is way, way better than the original JP, and the original JP performances aren't even bad.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I think I wouldn't like Berkut nearly as much without the voice acting.

Also I beat Thabes today. Yay.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Endorph posted:

There's a lot of recent JRPGs with really great dubs, and a few that are actually better than the original voices. Like Cold Steel. Cold Steel's dub is way, way better than the original JP, and the original JP performances aren't even bad.

I just read that the upcoming PC version is announced to have 50% more voiced dialogue. you will probably see me a lot in the Falcom thread this fall

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I just read that the upcoming PC version is announced to have 50% more voiced dialogue. you will probably see me a lot in the Falcom thread this fall

I would advise anyone that is just starting on the cold steel franchise to actually not go to the Falcom thread, because CS 3 will be in the fall.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe how cheap Dagon Filets are for how tough those fuckers are.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm probably going to make a separate Cold Steel thread once we get a release date for the PC versions.

Also, uh, Berkut, woo.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

RareAcumen posted:

I can't believe how cheap Dagon Filets are for how tough those fuckers are.

If only the sub-quest that lets you trade one for the 3-gold Exotic Spice could be repeatable, that would have been great.

Berkut and Fernand were voiced so well that even if the plot were to write them into eloping together out of Valencia and making gay furry babies I would enjoy their characters.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't recall anything from Fernand that stuck out to me but Ian Sinclair as Berkut absolutely hit it out of the park.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I don't think I would have been able to stomach Fernand's whole story without it. You know, the whole thing where he drops the only pragmatic situation he has left (working with peasants who he bears a mortal grudge against) to roll the dice with pretty much anyone who would just as easily end him without ceremony or care for his ideals. Ray Chase made Fernand's obsession with his past much more constant and clear to me, what with the attitude he put in those lines.

E: even Slayde was great, which I suppose makes sense since he's got to make a good first impression for the game, but he's a one-dimensional jobber, of all things.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 17, 2017

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I just beat Desaix and I tried to get the royal shield a couple of times and the terrors are kicking my rear end. I don't think I'm supposed to do it until act 4, right?

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I just beat Desaix and I tried to get the royal shield a couple of times and the terrors are kicking my rear end. I don't think I'm supposed to do it until act 4, right?

If your mages and archers are decent you should be able to beat the royal shield fight. Alternatively, give a fast sword user the lightning sword. It's hard but very beatable when you first get the quest.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I picked the game back up a few weeks ago after losing the battle with Grieth to an unlucky crit on Celica during the Summer. I'm working through Alm's Act 4 now, been taking care of some sidequests. I still have Celica's to go. Overall it's enjoyable, but it's annoying to get a Game Over if either Alm or Celica die. Also, Nuibaba's map was just plain annoying. Sneaking in around the back while trying to keep out of the range of Medusa was not what I consider to be fun. It wasn't too difficult in the end, it just took a really long time.

It's the furthest I've gotten in any FE, once I'm done I'll hopefully go back and beat Awakening or something (although I'll probably play something else in the meantime, I have the M&L: Superstar Saga remake on the way).

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Soooooo i'm near the end of Celica's part of the game and as it turns out i forgot to recruit the other 2 pegasus sisters and Noma before getting to Duma tower, and having tried going through the tower a few times i feel like i'm not quite ready for it.

So what's the best place to grind for XP? Do enemies in the tower respawn if i leave and go back in constantly? Seems like either there for the forest place seems like would be good.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The towers have multiple floors, so even just going between those is enough. Plus you can only take ten units, so you should at least be ready for that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Since this thread's been bumped again, I'll cross-post this...

So I finished Fire Emblem Echoes last night, and wanted to post some thoughts about it...

As I've mentioned already, I got it at launch, played it fairly solidly at first and got to Act 3. But then half way through Celica's Act 3, I put it down when I got a game over during the battle with Grieth. I only intended on putting it down for like a day or two because I didn't feel like replaying the map again immediately, but because I'm a terrible person it ended up being left for 3 or 4 months instead. :v:

Anyway, there was a lot of stuff I liked about it. The 2 different armies was a pretty good feature, although it would have been nice if you got a dungeon at the end where you could use both, rather than just the final battle. Celica's dudes don't really get a look in during Act 5. It's kind of cool also that you get a lot of villagers who you can class however you want, if that's your thing. I was boring, and just used the recommendations in the OP of the Echoes thread, based on their growth rates and spell lists. :v: The Promotion system was both good and bad, it was good that you should just promote as soon as the new class was available, but having to trek to a Mila statue to do so was a bit annoying.

Something which gets complained about a lot with the game is the map design, and I'd probably agree there. I think later on some of them become a bit more interesting, but the first few acts are just a lot of open areas with some terrain thrown in like trees or bushes or whatever. I think Celica's maps get a bit overblown though... the desert ones are a bit annoying and slow (one of the reasons why I didn't want to immediately replay Grieth's map was because the start of it just takes so bloody long). As far as I remember though, there are only 3 or 4 like that maybe. The Swamp ones aren't too bad either really, the first one is a little slow because there's a large section of swamp which you have to cross. I only felt there were 1, maybe 2, really bad ones there. The skirmishes and random battles in dungeons do get a little bit annoying too, sometimes you can avoid them but when you can't, fighting the same set of enemies on the same map over and over again feels like a bit of a drag.

The characters I liked a lot for the most part. The Support conversations were pretty nice little bits of development, although some of them seemed a bit pointless. The amount of VA though was great, having played a bit of Awakening and Fates where there's so much "Yes" / "Huh?" / "You have my sword" placeholder dialogue, it was really great that practically everything in Echoes was voice acted. I loved a lot of the Critical Hit snippets too, especially Delthea's "Seeya!"

Overall, I thought it was very enjoyable. There's some good stuff in there, and some bad stuff, but the good definitely shines through. I've played bits of Fire Emblem/Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones, Awakening and Fates, I think at some point now I'll go back and see about finishing those off (probably not quite now though, I feel like playing something a bit different after a solid few weeks of Echoes).

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Anyway, there was a lot of stuff I liked about it. The 2 different armies was a pretty good feature, although it would have been nice if you got a dungeon at the end where you could use both, rather than just the final battle.

There's always Thabes

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

irlZaphod posted:

, it was really great that practically everything in Echoes was voice acted. I loved a lot of the Critical Hit snippets too, especially Delthea's "Seeya!"

"Sorry! (Not sorry.)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The character DLC is worth it just to make Emma squirm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk-I051M1_o

• Locked thread