Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

some of the map designs are a little janky

I would correct this to "many of the map designs are extremely janky"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I would correct this to "many of the map designs are extremely janky"
your face is extremely janky

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Anyone have an idea of what the difficulty levels are like and how they compare to Awakening and Fates?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Anyone have an idea of what the difficulty levels are like and how they compare to Awakening and Fates?
normal: about on par with conquest normal
hard: a little less hard than conquest hard

tho i have played gaiden a lot so im used to the game

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/6bil28/711_sword_and_weapon_showcased_in_famitsu_ingame/
Apparently there's a 7-11 promotion for the game, complete with a unique sword and shield. I doubt the western audience will get these items, though.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It plays really smoothly, the jank mostly feels like weird quirks to me. But I really like it, so.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

give me jank or give me death

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would heavily recommend SoV if being different is the thing you're looking for and you never played Gaiden before.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

how long is sov supposed to be anyways?
its on the shorter side i thought

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RME posted:

how long is sov supposed to be anyways?
its on the shorter side i thought
probably 25-30ish hours, though if you spend any time grinding that shoots up a lot naturally, and the post-game chapter is fairly long.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I don't want anybody to look at my posts and think I don't recommend the game, because I do. I'm just more down on it than Endorph and she posts more than me so a lot of my SoV posts are replying to her about how I think it's worse than she does, even if I still think it's a good game that's worth buying

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Real talk, there are a lot of things across all the reviews that give me a lot of pause. Like 1 item/unit seems like a really weird choice. Or fixed accuracy for spells. Or terrain with +60 goddamn avoid. Female units lacking tier 3 classes. The fatigue system. The maps. 1-5 range bows.

I do think the way mages work is cool though, and it would be neat to see that expanded on in a future FE title. Things that make characters non-homogeneous is always cool.

Doesn't Faye have tier 3 or even tier 4 classes? From what I understand most of the female characters are just mages pegasus knights or pre-premotes and the former 2 don't have as many class changes. Even for like male mages.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The male classes are:
Mage (2 tiers)
Cavalier (3 tiers)
Soldier (3 tiers)
Archer (3 tiers)

The female classes are:
Mage (2 tiers)
Cleric (2 tiers)
Pegasus Knight (2 tiers)
Cavalier (3 tiers)

The female-exclusive classes are both two tiers and the male-exclusive classes are both three tiers, but the shares classes split the difference.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

The male classes are:
Mage (2 tiers)
Cavalier (3 tiers)
Soldier (3 tiers)
Archer (3 tiers)

The female classes are:
Mage (2 tiers)
Cleric (2 tiers)
Pegasus Knight (2 tiers)
Cavalier (3 tiers)

The female-exclusive classes are both two tiers and the male-exclusive classes are both three tiers, but the shares classes split the difference.

You're missing Mercenary for males which also has 3 tiers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

The male classes are:
Mage (2 tiers)
Cavalier (3 tiers)
Soldier (3 tiers)
Archer (3 tiers)

The female classes are:
Mage (2 tiers)
Cleric (2 tiers)
Pegasus Knight (2 tiers)
Cavalier (3 tiers)

Ah got it. Guess I never put together that the exclusive classes were all 2 tier or 3 tier.

On that topic though, I know mage and cleric are pretty unique classes since they learn new spells and such at certain levels does Pegasus Knight have anything similarly unique to it since it's also 2 tiers, or is it just that it's the only class that can fly and that's pretty darn useful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

having only two tiers isn't any sort of nerf or downgrade or anything, due to how promotion works.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I hope Int Sys decides to retain some of the cool stuff from Echoes for the as of yet unnamed Switch game. I'll always be fond of the way magic works in gaiden, at least. :v:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ah got it. Guess I never put together that the exclusive classes were all 2 tier or 3 tier.

On that topic though, I know mage and cleric are pretty unique classes since they learn new spells and such at certain levels does Pegasus Knight have anything similarly unique to it since it's also 2 tiers, or is it just that it's the only class that can fly and that's pretty darn useful.

Yeah, mostly it's that peg Faye is a flying shitkicker. I would probably go cleric for her though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you make Silque the only healer, how exactly does she replenish her health? Nosferatu prayer?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

If you make Silque the only healer, how exactly does she replenish her health? Nosferatu prayer?
Nosferatu, and there are rings that restore a bit of HP at the start of every turn. Plus the guys all do learn healing spells as sages.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
There are no heart seals in this game, right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pastrymancy posted:

Nope

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Promoting is done at shrines between regular battles, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Promoting is done at shrines between regular battles, right?
Yes. There are specific locations on the map that have shrines, so sometimes you'll have to backtrack to them. This only really involves a couple of two minute long battles though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

The closest thing is a free dlc item that lets you turn anyone into a villager, where they naturally can then promote into any class. I didn't mess with it but I could see a couple characters doing decently in different classes, like Boey as a physical class.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think every dungeon has a statue somewhere in it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

The closest thing is a free dlc item that lets you turn anyone into a villager, where they naturally can then promote into any class. I didn't mess with it but I could see a couple characters doing decently in different classes, like Boey as a physical class.

My plan for an entirely mage army gets more plausible by the minute.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think you understand that you're going to have like fourteen mages by the end of the game anyway. there is no secret trick to having an all-mage army, that's just fire emblem gaiden.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i dont think you understand that you're going to have like fourteen mages by the end of the game anyway. there is no secret trick to having an all-mage army, that's just fire emblem gaiden.

I heard you can deploy your entire army for most maps, so an item which can turn the non-mages of the army into mages sounds very useful to me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If you learn spells by class progression, but revert to villager to do another class, do you keep the spells? Can you have Demon Fighters with Sage spells if you're a crazy person?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm gonna kiss the boys even if intsys doesnt want me to

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ruggington posted:

No one kisses in Valentia.

Except Faye and Alm. In Faye's head.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ruggington posted:

you aren't in this game, there's no self-insert. also there's no paired endings. there's some pairs but they're all preset by the game.

also leon is explicitly gay.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm gonna self-insert into Clive if I have to.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

you aren't in this game, there's no self-insert

you say that like it'll stop me

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wish everyone luck in trying to kiss all the boys and/or girls in this game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Don't kiss your DS screen in public.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't kiss your DS screen in public.

Ruggington posted:

you say that like it'll stop me

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Judging by what I've seen of the character design, writing, and voice acting I am fully prepared to fall in love with and kiss every character in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sanitize your 3DS screen before kissing it. Get some disinfectant wipes.

• Locked thread