Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Endorph posted:

you aren't in this game, there's no self-insert. also there's no paired endings. there's some pairs but they're all preset by the game.

also leon is explicitly gay.

Oh good that means the writing quality gets a bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

Oh good that means the writing quality gets a bump
this game's writing has some slight quibbles (there's some go nowhere sideplots, a couple of characters are pretty dull, for some reason every single character in the game has some kind of unrequited love) but it's it's a hell of a lot better than fates, and more focused and streamlined than awakening. helps that the TL is the best of the three.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

every single character in the game has some kind of unrequited love

*ears perk up*

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought Boey and Mae was pretty clear

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

for some reason every single character in the game has some kind of unrequited love)

Are they at least less weird about it than with Catria and Cordelia?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Zore posted:

Well, yes, in the sense that you don't have a borked Support pairing system where Cordelia can be pining and hopelessly lovestruck for Chrom two years after they both married.

But Faye's situation is explicitly portrayed as something deeply weird and unhealthy for her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

i mean, everyone's coping with it in some way. except faye, but faye is just a joke about oldschool FE fans.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

this game's writing has some slight quibbles (there's some go nowhere sideplots, a couple of characters are pretty dull, for some reason every single character in the game has some kind of unrequited love) but it's it's a hell of a lot better than fates, and more focused and streamlined than awakening. helps that the TL is the best of the three.

Has the English script been leaked then? I remember hearing a few of the supports have started showing up online, but is enough of the full script out there to be talking about overall translation quality.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Has the English script been leaked then? I remember hearing a few of the supports have started showing up online, but is enough of the full script out there to be talking about overall translation quality.

The entire game is online already.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

i mean, everyone's coping with it in some way. except faye, but faye is just a joke about oldschool FE fans.
I think she's a yandere, not some weird meta-joke

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

The entire game is online already.

Huh, thought that was only the Japanese version. Glad to hear the translation is good though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

She specifically detests change of any kind and wants herself and Alm to stay in their quiet village together forever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm confused, is Mae and Boey really unrequited or was this changed from the japanese?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They requite in their A support from what I recall of the japanese version

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

her jp name is efi dude

i don't think it's some 'hahaha intsys just OWNED classic fans....' thing or anything it's just gentle teasing. the director of the game is a huge fe grognard himself and said he's played gaiden like 60 times. if anything it's probably just a self-aware joke more than anything.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is there going to be a metric butt ton of DLC for this like there was for Fates and Awakening? I didn't see that mentioned by Endorph yet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Unlucky7 posted:

So is there going to be a metric butt ton of DLC for this like there was for Fates and Awakening? I didn't see that mentioned by Endorph yet.

There's a fuckton, yeah. $45 dollars for the season pass.

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/downloadable-content/

Includes four separate grinding maps!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a ton of it and by all reports it's all garbage

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's worth grabbing the free dlc with the villager fork since that's a fun thing to mess with. the actual dlc dlc is garbage.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
If anything the ones for getting coins might be fun to play with; I had a lot of weapons whose upgrade chains I wanted to see more of but never had enough coins for. But that's sort of reaching for anything at all of value where there isn't much.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 18, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I like how there are seperate dlcs that just unlock a new tier of classes for each class line.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Endorph posted:

her jp name is efi dude

i don't think it's some 'hahaha intsys just OWNED classic fans....' thing or anything it's just gentle teasing. the director of the game is a huge fe grognard himself and said he's played gaiden like 60 times. if anything it's probably just a self-aware joke more than anything.

What does her japanese name have to do with anything? Why is that a joke or tease?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's the initials for Fire Emblem. FE.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLUXQGNX7Vw&t=175s

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Seems like the Cipher dlc characters will have conversations with themselves and some bonus items. Still no clarification if it's an Anna thing or not.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I am preloading this game right now. I'm ready.

I have a nasty cold and will likely be home tomorrow unless I suddenly get massively better. That means I can play Echoes all day while hopped up on cold medicine, whee!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

What does her japanese name have to do with anything? Why is that a joke or tease?
her personality is the joke/tease. her name just confirms what it's directed at.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Got the LE a day early :toot: Same store that put the Fates LE on their shelves a day early, too - gotta love stores with small video game departments that don't really care about putting stuff out a bit early.

Might have missed that in the OP, but if I don't recruit Faye/Kliff, do I miss out on anything? I remember reading that I just get them later on if I skip recruiting them for now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Retcon posted:

Got the LE a day early :toot: Same store that put the Fates LE on their shelves a day early, too - gotta love stores with small video game departments that don't really care about putting stuff out a bit early.

Might have missed that in the OP, but if I don't recruit Faye/Kliff, do I miss out on anything? I remember reading that I just get them later on if I skip recruiting them for now.

You can recruit them with Celica instead of Alm if you skip them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do Kliff and Faye have supports with anyone on Celica's side? Is there a good reason to have her get them besides doing it for the sake of it? I mean, she apparently has her share of peg knights and mercenaries, so I guess they could be her cavaliers?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Silque has a support wit Jesse on Celica's side, that is the one cross army support I can think of off the top of my head.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Do Kliff and Faye have supports with anyone on Celica's side? Is there a good reason to have her get them besides doing it for the sake of it? I mean, she apparently has her share of peg knights and mercenaries, so I guess they could be her cavaliers?

No, supports in general is really tiny compared to most games.

Alm and Clair:
Alm and Mycen:
Alm and Faye:
Lukas and Clive:
Gray and Tobin:
Gray and Clair:
Tobin and Kliff:
Silque and Faye
Clair and Delthea:
Clive and Mathilda:
Forsyth and Python:
Luthier and Delthea:
Tatiana and Zeke:
Celica and Mae:
Celica and Atlas:
Celica and Nomah:
Celica and Conrad:
Mae and Boey:
Genny and Sonya:
Saber and Jesse:
Jesse and Deen:
Valbar and Leon:
Kamui and Leon:
Palla and Catria:
Palla and Est:
Catria and Est:

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Just going to recruit them with Alm then, thanks. Also, hope there's a bunch more first-person exploration, getting an Ace Attorney vibe from that part.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Man I don't even have the game yet and already I am paralyzed with indecision. I can't decide if I want to make Faye a Cleric or Peg Knight.

On the one hand, she gets those neat Cleric spells and having a second healer would probably be good. On the other hand, MORE PEG KNIGHTS. (Peg Knights are my favorite unit type.)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Make her into a Peg Knight, and then use the free DLC to make Silque into a Peg Knight

It can't fail

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

More details on the Cipher DLC: https://serenesforest.net/2017/05/18/echoes-details-cipher-collab-character-introductions/

They're battle maps, you get two characters per DLC (4 bucks each, 8 total), and they have supports+Base conversations with each other. Also exclusive spells and items.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

These battle animations are so smooth, wow. Love how your units are going into battle with a running start.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Retcon posted:

These battle animations are so smooth, wow. Love how your units are going into battle with a running start.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My favorite animations are the (female only? not sure) villager animation where do do a loving bloodborne dodge and then follow up before hitting the ground, and the triangle attack animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's more just a little bonus feature than anything you're meant to do or an actual option you're meant to consider. Something to mess with on replays. In Gaiden, Celica could recruit like 90% of Alm's army if she wanted to, but since they wanted to give those characters more of a plot role they had to cut back on that. Kliff and Faye being recruitable by her is a nod to that aspect of Gaiden.

That said, I think Faye does have a base conversation later in the game if you recruit her with Celica.

• Locked thread