Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

It straight up modifies your speed stat.

Are you sure? Then why the hell doesn't it just show negative modifiers on your status screen like Steel weapons do?

Ugh I really dislike this interface. It seems designed to hide info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Are you sure? Then why the hell doesn't it just show negative modifiers on your status screen like Steel weapons do?

No I'm not. I assumed you were talking about the negative modifier on your stat screen since my english copy isn't arrive until tomorrow

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

No I'm not. I assumed you were talking about the negative modifier on your stat screen since my english copy isn't arrive until tomorrow

I'm talking about how Fire has 3 weight. Kliff has 5 speed and cannot double 4 speed cavaliers. However, they also don't double him.

That's why Im making the assumption it just affects your ability to double or they should be doubling him, right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

I'm talking about how Fire has 3 weight. Kliff has 5 speed and cannot double 4 speed cavaliers. However, they also don't double him.

That's why Im making the assumption it just affects your ability to double or they should be doubling him, right?

I just booted up my japanese copy and Delthea (23-3 speed from a shield) attacking with fire (3 weight) against an enemy with 9 speed doubles it. If she attacks with Ragnarok (14 weight), she gets doubled. It seems to be a straight speed modification.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zore posted:

Is Lukas just supposed to be utter garbage? Because so far he seems really garbage.

This, but replace Lukas (who actually owns) with Python. I love the dude's appearance and voice lines, but Tobin has a lead in basically every stat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I should've went to a midnight release or something. 50 minutes for one game to download this small is stupid.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

I should've went to a midnight release or something. 50 minutes for one game to download this small is stupid.

Lol if you didn't preload a week ago.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
This is super minor and weird but I saw a tumblr post showing that Alm is left-handed and as a left-handed dude this makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy

i was going to buy the game anyway but this helps me rationalise the decision

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

heavy draw :eyepop:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

cheetah7071 posted:

I just booted up my japanese copy and Delthea (23-3 speed from a shield) attacking with fire (3 weight) against an enemy with 9 speed doubles it. If she attacks with Ragnarok (14 weight), she gets doubled. It seems to be a straight speed modification.

Since you don't equip spells in Echoes like you would equip items, and thus don't see the speed cut on the status menu, do you just have to keep track of Spd - Wt with brain? Which spell does a Mage counter with (and suffer the Speed penalty for) when attacked, the one last used?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Just reached the shrine.

Make everyone who can be a Merc a Merc, good idea or bad idea?

e: gently caress it i'm doing it

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 19, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

There's no real religion on this; an archer might fight well against one kind of mage, but face certain death against another. I often looked to characters' basic attack stats and how far they could move across a map during each turn to predict how they'd fare in battle, which isn't the most reliable system. More often than not, I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best when I sent characters up against foes.

lol what

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Since you don't equip spells in Echoes like you would equip items, and thus don't see the speed cut on the status menu, do you just have to keep track of Spd - Wt with brain? Which spell does a Mage counter with (and suffer the Speed penalty for) when attacked, the one last used?

From my experience they always counter with Fire. So if an enemy attacks from 3 tiles away they won't counter with Thunder/Arrow and will just eat it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

lol what

these people are paid for this

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Endorph posted:

lol what

lol I was about to ask, "Polygon?" and then I just googled the text you quoted and yes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Endorph posted:

lol what

The rest of the ignorance aside, what on earth does 'There's no real religion on this' even mean in this context?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't quite recall but I do believe that is the same way I played my first Fire Emblems

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

The rest of the ignorance aside, what on earth does 'There's no real religion on this' even mean in this context?

There's no guiding order or principle - ie they are so bad at games they don't know how to determine if a unit will do well or bad in a fight

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just started the game. Playing it while sick is about as trippy as I expected it to be. I like crusty old grandpa Mycen and I look forward to making Alm's ragtag bunch of friends into killing machines. (I picked my usual Hard/Casual.)

Does the game explain itself well enough? I dimly recall you can promote villagers starting at lv 7 or something and there's no reason to wait to promote ever, unlike in every other Fire Emblem game.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

There's no guiding order or principle - ie they are so bad at games they don't know how to determine if a unit will do well or bad in a fight

But the combat forecast is right there...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
To be fair, with the default detailed combat view I couldn't figure out where the accuracy indictor was for a while.

But everything else was super easy to figure out. Especially once I switched to simplified (which probably should be the default)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

But the mages have different stats and it's like....what? Why is this mage more dangerous than the last one?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Does the game explain itself well enough? I dimly recall you can promote villagers starting at lv 7 or something and there's no reason to wait to promote ever, unlike in every other Fire Emblem game.
The only thing that might trip you up is you only need one more speed than the enemy to double them. The game tells you when units can promote.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

lol what

6.5 out of 10 huh, that basically means it's complete poo poo to them

i wonder what they gave fates (it was an 8.5 what the gently caress polygon)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i mean i know scores are worthless anyway but at least try to make them have some semblance of sense-making if you're gonna use them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Oh nooooo I just found out my circle pad is completely hosed

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Huh. I notice there are some subtle hints that nudge you as to who should promote to what.

Alm mentions Tobin training as an archer a time or two, and you can see some arrows stuck in a fence that he shot.

There are scorch marks on Mycen's house from Kliff practicing fire magic.

According to the OP, Archer Tobin and Mage Kliff are both good options. That's neat!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's a callback to FE Gaiden, where those were basically their default classes and mentioned in every strategy guide. Echoes rebalanced things so that they weren't the automatic best options, but they kept those little nods in. It's a cute touch.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm really liking the smaller army size and the slight increase in RPG mechanics with spells and skills. Also loving the lower growth rates making gaining stats feel way more exciting. It really brings back memories of when I first played the gba game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Faye's first level up was HP and Luck. Someone really wants to be a Peg Knight, I see! Don't tempt me, game, I'll do it. Don't think I won't!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

(Kliff actually sucks as a mage because he'll have like 1 AS at base)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

(Kliff actually sucks as a mage because he'll have like 1 AS at base)
you suck as a mage

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Endorph posted:

It's a callback to FE Gaiden, where those were basically their default classes and mentioned in every strategy guide. Echoes rebalanced things so that they weren't the automatic best options, but they kept those little nods in. It's a cute touch.

Oh yeah, I've already forgotten but didn't Gray come along because he heard the soldiers get paid? (Mercenary.)

I like these little nods.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sorry I couldn't hear you, I'm too far away, riding on the back of Kliff's mighty steed since he's a Paladin right now

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh yeah, I've already forgotten but didn't Gray come along because he heard the soldiers get paid? (Mercenary.)

I like these little nods.

That was Tobin, Gray, like Alm, wanted to find himself and get something more out of life (girls)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Thanks Fire Emblem by saying that Normal difficulty is "for new players." I was going to play on Normal but now I can't; I have some dignity after all.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Terper posted:

That was Tobin, Gray, like Alm, wanted to find himself and get something more out of life (girls)

Ah ok. My memory isn't the best even when I'm not sick as a dog. Still probably making Gray a mercenary. Kliff's "default" is mage but his outfit looks more like an archer to me. Ditto for Tobin and mage vs. archer.

Fashion is an important consideration!

nrook posted:

Thanks Fire Emblem by saying that Normal difficulty is "for new players." I was going to play on Normal but now I can't; I have some dignity after all.

Play on whatever difficulty you want, my dude. The game can't tell you what to do. It's not your real dad.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Picking this up after work today

Cant wait

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Terper posted:

So Archers = Practice Archery, want money
Mercenaries = Want Girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I went with their defaults because I'm boring. Faye will be a Peg Knight.

EDIT: Peg Knight design looks kind of stupid. Bah. I'll live with it.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 19, 2017

• Locked thread