Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Booky posted:

Ohhh, ok. Thanks for the help, everyone! :)

Also, when do non-Villagers get to promote? Does the game tell you?

Yeah, game tells you.

Most dude classes promote at level 7 then level 10. Female classes and mages at 12 or 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

cheetah7071 posted:

There'll be a little popup saying something like "X is ready to promote" when they hit the level requirement. In addition, in all menus there will be a little Mila statue icon next to their level if they can promote.

Tae posted:

They still get the indicator just like villagers I.E. I got Tobin the "He is now ready to be a sniper!" message. Also there's a marker over their name or something as a constant reminder.

That sounds super handy! Thank you! :)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zore posted:

Wait until Faye gets +20 to hit from her Alm support.

I've gotten a couple supports. You're not limited by how many ranks total you can get, right? Characters just have very limited support options.

Like, Alm could get A with Faye and A with anybody else he can support with at the same time?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Silver Falcon posted:

I've gotten a couple supports. You're not limited by how many ranks total you can get, right? Characters just have very limited support options.

Like, Alm could get A with Faye and A with anybody else he can support with at the same time?

Yeah. They are story gated though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, there's no limit on how many supports you can have, though some support ranks only unlock at certain points in the game. Like Alm and Faye's A support only unlocks in the last chapter, I think.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I regret not giving the +3 speed to Faye because with the leather shield, she's my 2nd best defensive unit. It's basically Awakening again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Faye is basically the best unit in Alm's army, unless mine was just wildly above average. And apparently I didn't even promote her optimally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alm is the best unit in alm's army. then mercenary!gray and mathilda. faye is probably 4th or 5th though.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
So, question about mages: do any of them learn spells after the point they can promote (like being able to promote at level 12 but learning something at level 15), and if they do, can you still get that if you promote before then?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you'll learn the spells you missed from levels after promotion.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Villagers go the Merc route, they can promote through Dread Fighter, but Dread Fighter can promote back to Villager for some reason? I don't get that.

Is this worth doing? "At the beginning of the game, you can opt to not recruit Kliff and Faye. If so, during the very end of Act 2, you can speak to Kliff and/or Faye with Celica to recruit them to her party."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's just Gaiden being Gaiden.

As for the latter, it's only worth doing on a repeat playthrough as a joke. Alm needs Faye a lot and Kliff is nice, and Celica has a very good early game party and by the late game neither of them will impact much. The only class they have access to that Celica doesn't have in abundance is Soldier and Cavalier, and Valbar is already the perfect knight and she spends half the game in the desert, so neither is that important to her.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
y'all weren't kidding about the map design leaving something to be desired, I'm ready to fight in places that aren't fields and caves game

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I just started this up and the so far the voice acting and localization are great, so much better than Fates in that regard at least. I guess I'll see if that holds true for gameplay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

y'all weren't kidding about the map design leaving something to be desired, I'm ready to fight in places that aren't fields and caves game
BOATS

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There are four maps in Gaiden

Open field
Boats
Desert
Dungeon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Boats is the best of the four

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

You get castle every now and then...or does that count as dungeon?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kilff is too useful because he's the only one hitting 95% while everyone else is struggling to hit 70.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Kilff is too useful because he's the only one hitting 95% while everyone else is struggling to hit 70.

This was Alm for me.

Alm and Celica are ridiculous

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Dis game is good as h*ck so far except for the wide open maps, I didn't realize the stat springs shared uses and I gave 2 HP to Kliff and only got one charge from the speed fountain :saddowns:

Also Kliff has hit SKL and SPD every level for me so far, it rules.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I kinda feel like the levin sword is wasted on Alm since it's flat damage and he has ridiculously high strength. But my only other sword user is Tobin who gets free attacks with the iron sword.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
One time I am gonna do a run that swaps Silque to Celica and just warp people across the desert.

Another silly gimmick dealio but hey.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

How do i change the villagers classes

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the shrine mabel, mila's servant

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

the shrine mabel, mila's servant

Ok wasnt sure it was a menu or something. How many fights until i get there

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mabels big day posted:

There's a Mila statue in every dungeon

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

mabels big day posted:

its in the first dungeon you go to so like 2 real fights

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mabels big day posted:

the first one is 2 map fights and one dungeon room in, it's not far at all

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

One last question: is there any reason at all to keep my villagers from promoting as soon as they can?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mabels big day posted:

One last question: is there any reason at all to keep my villagers from promoting as soon as they can?

Promote everybody in all classes at the first opportunity. Do not wait until 20, for any class

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Promote everybody in all classes at the first opportunity. Do not wait until 20, for any class

Thank you friend. I will go enjoy this game now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It was in the OP but I decided to also put it on top and bolded

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Alm's promotion opportunity comes late enough that you could get away with it or just grind it out because it might only be a couple levels away. But that's a choice between do it immediately or grind it out, not do it immediately or wait.

Take it from someone who figured they might as well wait, if you wait until 20, you won't have more than a couple promoted characters at endgame.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kliff just learned a spell that's 1-3 range. Whaaaat? :eyepop:

This game is messing with my Fire Emblem sensibilities... and I think I like it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol mercenary kliff got two perfect levels in a row and is now soloing the game with the levin sword. gaiden baby

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

First battle against a Cantor.

1st 10 minutes: oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo he one-shots almost everyone

"genny learns Invoke"

Well then

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tae posted:

First battle against a Cantor.

1st 10 minutes: oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo he one-shots almost everyone

"genny learns Invoke"

Well then

I mostly just had Boey and Mae whittle him down with thunder until Celica could make the kill.

Because I needed her desperately to learn Seraphim for the dragon fight.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Kliff just learned a spell that's 1-3 range. Whaaaat? :eyepop:

This game is messing with my Fire Emblem sensibilities... and I think I like it.

wait until you start promoting archers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
gonna go out on a limb and say that jedah is summoning a dragon or demon or something based solely on his appearance

• Locked thread