Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I didn't bother even trying to kill Jedah. He just spams trash at you, really the hard part is getting Duma in position to die in 1 turn, and Jedah doesn't really get in the way of that too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You should always kill Jedah because he deserves it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the idea of not killing jedah because then he watches duma die and is just 'oh... ohhh...'

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He was a bad Dad to my friend Sonya and should die along with his God.

Though I dunno what happens if Jedah is still alive when Duma dies, maybe he gets killed anyway. I'm pretty sure he doesn't survive because that would be really weird.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's like 150 years old, so I assumed that Duma's magic was what was sustaining him.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
A lot of supports in this game sure do start with a character groaning.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
A lot of supports in this game seem to involve characters being jerks at each other.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kliff x Tobin and Faye x Silke are particularly low effort.

Characterization is all over the place with this, deliverance guys are fine but I couldn't tell you what Genny's or Boey's characters even are.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Boey is terrified of zombies but is otherwise fairly sensible. He also gets into dumb arguments with Mae a lot. Genny's an aspiring author who's pretty quiet but gets along well with Celica. She's buds with Sonya because they were both abandoned by their families.

Base conversations do a lot to flesh out characters in ways outside of the supports. They're real cool and great!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What's the mechanic behind base convos? I kept getting the same ones so just stopped checking after a while.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I find Genny's writing hobby really interesting and I'm not even sure why exactly. I wish she has supports or something where she talks about it more.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Avalerion posted:

What's the mechanic behind base convos? I kept getting the same ones so just stopped checking after a while.

Most characters have a new one per act. You can get a base conversation at every town/castle etc and the characters that pop up at each place switch every map (maybe including random encounters as well?). It's a weird system and you'll sometimes get repeats before you've seen everyones but the conversations are often good enough that it's worth checking out towns and such after every map just to see if there's a new conversation available. Though I always waited till i'd completed the maps that stop reinforcements.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

blizzardvizard posted:

I find Genny's writing hobby really interesting and I'm not even sure why exactly. I wish she has supports or something where she talks about it more.

Because she writes stories about buff and rough mercenaries making off with priestess girls.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I missed that Sonya was one of Jedah's kids and spent the whole game going "Wait, he had 3 kids, where's the third one"

Oops

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't tell much difference between yuze and sayri

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I can't tell much difference between yuze and sayri

hair colors
hair styles
names
outfits
outfit colors
voices
classes

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Finally beat this game. It's the 4th (6th?) FE game I've played after Path of Radiance, Awakening, and the Fates games. I remember liking Path of Radiance a lot, but not much else about it. I loved Awakening, mostly disliked the three Fates games.

I'd definitely put Echoes above Fates, but way below Awakening.

I noticed there seems to be a post-game dungeon. What's up with this? I'm kind of burned out on Echoes, but if you guys think it's worth it, I might give it a shot.

I also have The Sacred Stones on my 3DS as an ambassador game. I think this is one of the more well-liked entries, right? Anything I should know about it ahead of time?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pastrymancy posted:

I missed that Sonya was one of Jedah's kids and spent the whole game going "Wait, he had 3 kids, where's the third one"

Oops

Ooh. I had figured out that Sonya's sisters were now those weird witch sisters running around, but I didn't realize Jedah was their dad! The same dad who dumped them all in the convent? hosed up.

Reinanigans posted:

I also have The Sacred Stones on my 3DS as an ambassador game. I think this is one of the more well-liked entries, right? Anything I should know about it ahead of time?

Not really. You should have the basics down. Seth is your early game pre-promote paladin and he's amazing. He's one of the best units in the game, seriously.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Seth is in the running for best Fire Emblem character (relative to enemy strength) in the series. Only FE9 Titania and Robin really give him a run for his money.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
FE5 Sety? Though I guess you might have rolled availability into your rankings.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Seth is in the running for best Fire Emblem character (relative to enemy strength) in the series. Only FE9 Titania and Robin really give him a run for his money.
dagda. it helps that he's actually in a hard game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Endorph posted:

Kinda. Whichever army you do the dlc with gets them, but the characters come in duos and can't be separated. So Emma and Randal and Yuzu and Shade. You could give Alm E & R and Celica Y & S, but you couldn't give Alm E & S.

Do either of the duos have support conversations with people not in their pair?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

dagda. it helps that he's actually in a hard game.

I will concede that Dagda owns the enemies just as hard, though due to lower movement, (slightly) lower availability, and general map design making it harder to solo, he definitely carries less hard than Seth does.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Prism posted:

Do either of the duos have support conversations with people not in their pair?

Nope. They're good supports though, longer than the norm for this game (so average support length for other FEs).

I've also just beaten the game. It ranks pretty highly for me, and the brevity means I'm keen to replay it a lot sooner than I usually want to replay an FE. Maybe a Blitzkrieg run?

Also downloaded the Cipher characters since I started late and they came out when I was midway through Act 3. Which is pretty good timing in terms of power, they slotted into my party nicely. Gave Randal/Emma to Celica and Shade/Yuzu to Alm. Still haven't decided if the other way around would be better (Emma was great for even more Pegasus murder but Randal hated the deserts and swamps).

Overall a good game though. Refreshingly fuckin weird FE. Whoever said it plays more like an FF Tactics game was spot on.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Nope. They're good supports though, longer than the norm for this game (so average support length for other FEs).

I've also just beaten the game. It ranks pretty highly for me, and the brevity means I'm keen to replay it a lot sooner than I usually want to replay an FE. Maybe a Blitzkrieg run?

Also downloaded the Cipher characters since I started late and they came out when I was midway through Act 3. Which is pretty good timing in terms of power, they slotted into my party nicely. Gave Randal/Emma to Celica and Shade/Yuzu to Alm. Still haven't decided if the other way around would be better (Emma was great for even more Pegasus murder but Randal hated the deserts and swamps).

Overall a good game though. Refreshingly fuckin weird FE. Whoever said it plays more like an FF Tactics game was spot on.

After trudging through all three Fates game after playing Awakening to death, Echoes is such a nice reprise. The mechanics are simple and straightforward, and unique enough to stand out from the other 3DS games without seeming overly simplistic or alien to the rest of the series. I hope they retain some of the features in this for future games, especially the turnwheel, because it's so, so nice when a majority of what warrants a reset is usually a bad combat roll or a dumb misclick.

And oddly enough despite having about a quarter of the characterization of a character from the other two 3DS games, I like the characters in Echoes a lot more, if only because it's a treat whenever a character decides to start talking to somebody and they don't have any painfully stupid moments like the pickle man in Fates (even if that was because of the translators). I don't think there's a single character I dislike in Echoes. Even Nomah, who's incompetent in a charming, bumbling-old-man kind of way. Also why are you just sitting in a sewer, Nomah?

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Is it safe for me to sell my wine and ale to the blacksmith, or am I going to need it later for a quest? I already did the Ram Wine quest.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Is it safe for me to sell my wine and ale to the blacksmith, or am I going to need it later for a quest? I already did the Ram Wine quest.

Yes. Also sell the Exotic Spice because it gives like 3 gold.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Alcohol doesn't have any purpose besides being sold since your units can't even drink it if they wanted to.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Alcohol can restore Turnwheel uses in Dungeons but it's almost never going to be particularly needed.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Technically alcohol can be offered to Mila Statues in dungeons to restore your Turnwheel uses, but you pretty much never need to do that at any point in the game. The final dungeon might burn through your Turnwheel but even then you'd only need a couple of Leftover Ales, at most.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, keep a couple of drinks for the final dungeon since it has like three boss fights and its easy to wander into the final battle without any turnwheel uses.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
And here I didn't even realize there was a Mila idol in Thabes, haha.

e: oh I guess you guys mean the story final dungeon

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 30, 2017

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I never realized until now but you can switch between Celica and Alm in the post game with L on the map screen. That's neat.

Celica and Alm also both have unique dialogue when you take them into the examine screens of maps that are otherwise exclusive to their counterpart, too.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm stuck on the Jamil chapter with Celica (that labyrint map with the earthquake casting dude) - anyone got a strategy for this one other than grind more?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Avalerion posted:

I'm stuck on the Jamil chapter with Celica (that labyrint map with the earthquake casting dude) - anyone got a strategy for this one other than grind more?

What's your team look like?

There's some pretty useful tools your mages and clerics can pick up, but I'd need to know what you have before I can advise better.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

What's your team look like?

There's some pretty useful tools your mages and clerics can pick up, but I'd need to know what you have before I can advise better.

I got a mage ring and grimoire ring if that's what you mean? Dunno who to give them to, Boey already knows Saggitae, Celica picked up ragnarok, I went with Sonya but the best she can do so far is excalibur, Mae knows aura.

Also got Atlas as a bow knight with killer bow - I've been trying to have him snipe the boss, this works sometime but he then dies on the next turn. :( Everyone but Conrad is in their final class already.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
if you have like, a lot of trouble with earthquake, silque (i think it was her) learns fortify at a later level. probably takes some grinding and tbh you don't need it but if you really really have trouble she's there

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Looks like that's Tatiana, but this is on Celica's route anyway. Probably should have made Atlas a mage so he'd get rescue, but too late for that too.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Personally I set up a wall of my melee units in front of the fortification, sent in summons to draw out the enemies slowly and used healers in a second line to keep units healed up after each earthquake.
After the dread fighters were gone I used Mae+Mage ring to take out the enemies from long distance, usually sending in a dread fighter to draw the enemy Barons and Mages into a position where Mae could take them out safely.

Setting up your melee units in a wall formation should make it so that everyone can only be attacked by one gargoyle, which should make this fairly safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Great - just bidding my time outside the labyrinth eventually worked. Had no turnwheel uses left so that last turn had me crossing fingers but I got lucky, finally.

• Locked thread