Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alm is the best unit in alm's army. then mercenary!gray and mathilda. faye is probably 4th or 5th though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you'll learn the spells you missed from levels after promotion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's just Gaiden being Gaiden.

As for the latter, it's only worth doing on a repeat playthrough as a joke. Alm needs Faye a lot and Kliff is nice, and Celica has a very good early game party and by the late game neither of them will impact much. The only class they have access to that Celica doesn't have in abundance is Soldier and Cavalier, and Valbar is already the perfect knight and she spends half the game in the desert, so neither is that important to her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

y'all weren't kidding about the map design leaving something to be desired, I'm ready to fight in places that aren't fields and caves game
BOATS

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol mercenary kliff got two perfect levels in a row and is now soloing the game with the levin sword. gaiden baby

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

How do you guys decide who recruits who?
they recruit the people that are on their routes. done.

it's a gimmick for repeat playthroughs, not at all something you should seriously consider. in the original game it was basically a glitch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Strongly considering making Gray a Cav so I can pretend he's my man Sain.
he would pretty much be sain, even str wise

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dmboogie posted:

I appreciate wanting to keep the level of supports to a manageable level but it would've been nice if every character had at least two imo; Kliff's only support being with Tobin and the first two stages of that support consisting of "Hey Kliff" "Shut up Tobin" is kinda disappointing.

game owns otherwise tho

yeah i think 2-3. part of it might have just been the full voice acting tho, that ain't cheap.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

so...nothing like shadow dragon?
this game probably has the highest production values of any fe game ever made, unless you really wanna go to bat for fe10's cg.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I don't want to dig through the thread for full spoilers, but are there any traps or things I should really know in advance like "don't recruit this guy he sucks and if you wait until X to get him you get some OMGthing"?

also the only real trap is (minor gameplay spoilers) during chapter 3 grieth will send two of his lackeys at you, deen and sonya. when you kill one, the other will retreat and let you recruit them later. this isn't really a 'trap,' since you get one of them no matter what, but it's possible to realize you aren't making a choice on who to recruit. deen's a dread fighter, sonya's a mage. deen's insanely good out of the box and probably the best of the mercs in the game, sonya's competing with mae for best mage but has to do some leveling to reach her full potential, though she isn't a nino or est or anything, she just isn't as broken from the start as deen is. either is fine. If you want to know which one is 'canon' or whatever, Sonya has some minor plot relevance while Deen is just a guy.

Cake Attack posted:

well the anime cutscenes are pretty bad compared to awakening and fates
tbh i heavily disagree, the animation here is really strong. the animation in the big fight scene with the empy is super cool and snappy compared to chrom and validar waving their CG effect dicks around for seventeen minutes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

ive only seen like two of them but they look at lot more choppy with less detailed character models. i dunno maybe ive only seen the bad ones, or maybe im just remember the other two as being better then they are

the choppiness is cool!!! it's cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and there's way more noticeable character animation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I grabbed the free DLC (Mila's Blessing or something?) but I didn't see what it did. What's it do?
you have to hit 'play dlc' in the menu and then mila will spit out some boots for you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Valbar should be able to tank them, Celica can oneshot one, your mages can thunder another, and whoever you gave the blessed sword to can take out a third. Plus there's Leon and possibly Atlas.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ah. Yeah, they have less tools for dealing with monsters since they rarely fight them. The Levin Sword wielder should be able to do good damage to one though, plus there's Python and whatever villager mages you have. Especially Faye, since she learns Seraphim in both her magic classes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just beat the first dungeon! I am a Fire Emblem champion!

Who should I make drink from the Speed and HP soda fountains?
kliff if you made him a mage or archer or anything that didn't boost his speed. same with faye

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supremezero posted:

Though Faye's second level raised everything but Skill and Res.

So should I be class changing my villagers ASAP?
you should be class changing everyone ASAP.

TBH this game's class change system just codifies what's always been true in FE games (promoting early is good), so it's funny to see people who cling to kind of untrue gamefaqs advice not realizing it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FE10 is fine with early promotion because stats are so weighted in that game that everyone rams their caps in the stats they have any hope of gaining. Assuming you aren't BEXP abusing, anyway.

And FE9 only gives you like, five master seals or something. Fair on Fates tho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The war-cries in this game are so loving lame. It's almost hilarious.
they own extremely hard, actually

"Sure, I'm still hyper! Let's go!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Kinda missing the point of the war-cries.
kinda missing the point of the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Getting kinda weird about characters having different personalities, there
just dont ask him about transsexuality

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I do kind of wish there were more interesting crit lines than things like "Yeah!" or "Now!"

Like even in Awakening you still had poo poo like Libra yelling "I am your OMEGA!" despite the fact that his character hated basically everything about the war.
stuff like that mostly got loaded into the unit select lines and the lines for when other characters crit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Saber's voice sounds familiar. It's nagging at me. Any idea who his voice actor is?
keith silverstein. zasalamael in soul calibur, gouken in street fighter, flynn in smtiv, and the deep sea king in one punch man, among others.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

enemies will heavily prioritize summoned units. Both routes have healers that can summon units. Those are the witch bait.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Huh, maybe I didn't account for a weapon weight or something, though I could swear I double-checked that.

I think what's thrown me off on supports is that not everyone goes up to A, and some of the supports feel janky ending after just one/two conversations. Does Efi really have "bonkers about Alm" as her only character trait, moon over him for one support level and then just shut up?
Uh, everyone goes up to A. It's just some later support ranks aren't available until later into the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is Boey just real bad or am I getting a case of the ol' bad RNG.
he's got pretty terrible speed and a low speed base. he does give hit in all his supports though. pretty much the only way to make good use of him is to feed him the speed well at the start of celica's route.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually, the pro gamer 101 shadows of valentia tier list

alm route:

alm tier: alm, mathilda

great tier: silque, gray, clair

good tier: faye, tobin, kliff

7.8 too much water/10 tier: tatiana, zeke, clive

decent tier: lukas, luthier, python

filler tier: spoiler man

nino tier: delthea

forsythe dying to a witch five times in a row due to the power of mila's turn wheel tier: forsythe

celica route:

literally the only reason this game is beatable tier: saber

the peg sisters tier: catria, palla

great tier: kamui, genny, celica, mae, leon

good tier: dean, sonya, spoiler man

valbar: valbar

need to be fed some kinda well tier: boey, est

heals a guy once tier: nomah

not as bad as forsythe tier: jesse, atlas

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you recruit deen, he comes with the brave sword.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

If the enemy is doing a "Oh poo poo too much damage' and retreat to a healing tile, will they literally never try to attack during that process?
they won't, near as i can tell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also one neat feature that most people iwll probably miss is the death post-battle lines. basically if you let a unit die a unit related to them will comment on it after the battle.

like if you let python die Forsythe will go "Oh, for pete's sake Python, get up. The battle's won. ... Python?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you want to use Boey, feed him all 3 speed boosts.

If you don't mind having him be a fifth-stringer, 2 attack 1 speed lets Celica orko a lot of the pirates.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've always been terrible about specing characters in RPGs. Is it better to give fountain drink points to a character who's got low points in that stat, or someone who has a lot of points in that stat?
Low. Stats in Echoes are low anyway, so if a unit has a lot of defense one more point is redundant, but if they have low defense one more point can be the difference between life and death.

RME posted:

how do learned spells work if theyre after the promotion level
do they still learn it as sage eventually or is it gone forever
they learn them as a sage

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

Is the warning tablet in Sylvan Shrine abut needing to be powerful just for show or is that something I should come back to a bit later in the game?
There's a mob of gargoyles. They're not TOO bad if you have some tanky units, but they can be rough. Not, like, something you can't handle right now though, just a pretty tough fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

The trick is to attack them one by one in their cages before opening the treasure chest at the end.
iunno why i didnt think of that.

Oh, also, people are starting to get to act 4, so protip: after you open the gate on Celica's side, be sure to go down into the second basement and explore. There's an experience fountain and an attack fountain that are separate from each other, and also Nomah's down there for you to recruit and is super easy to miss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

Promotions are done via statues yes? Just downloaded the game now, happy that Alm no longer looks like a blockhead
statues in dungeons and you should promote as soon as possible

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

For the villagers, you can make them pretty much whatever and manage right?
Yes, the game isn't hard enough and you get enough other good units that you can make them whatever and be fine. The only way your choices could make things significantly harder is if you did something dumb like make them all mages.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

faye is a good girl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well Mathilda does the same for Clive and nobody calls her creepy!

Mathilda and Clive have some really good supports.

mathilda is my favorite fe character now

1) insanely good gameplay wise
2) fun supports
3) older lady with hype baps

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'turnout?' give her the ridersbane and she onerounds 80% of chapter 3, who needs growths or defense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you are both failures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

What are some good weapon evolutions to shoot for? I got Celica's Golen Zofia evolced already and now I have Alm and Celica's army with like 250 silver and 1 gold apiece at the beginning of chapter 4.

Turning the shadow sword into a second brave sword is nice. If you've made Atlas a cavalier, a javelin can be forged into a 2-3 range one that's great for him.

• Locked thread