Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RME posted:

my units really love to crit when i try and setup kills

Same. Alm decided he needed to be a badass and pull out a double crit on the first boss before I killed all of his lackeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is it that bad? I thought Celica's army was all mages and you got the good whitewings by then.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pastrymancy posted:

Are growths not as good in this game as the older ones or am I just bad with rng?

A lot of characters have lower growths compared to FE6 onward, looking at the serenes page, with the exception of Alm/Celica, the pegs and some of the later recruits in advanced classes. But yeah, growths are only high/low relative to enemy strength; everyone complains about Shadow Dragon's growths but enemies there are far more manageable than on Conquest Hard.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 20, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

it's actually quite good that promotions just lift you to the class base; If i'm understanding it correctly, promotion basically erases bad levels and compensates for the low growths.

Yeah, the game just compares your current stats against the class bases and bumps everything lower than the former up to the latter. So since mercs have super good skill/speed units with bad growths in those don't care, same with soldiers and strength/defense

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

I am convinced I am in a negaworld where the white wings are in fact bad because if they weren't getting constant support they'd be dying constantly. They do almost no damage compared to any of my dread fighters, and giving them better lances just means they get doubled by anything that's not a Cantor. Palla in particular has forced me to use the turnwheel more than any other character in both armies.

Oh no. :( Palla especially was my favorite for being the actual first Oifey.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

Celica: gets rid of all of Zofia's pirates and brigands
Alm: fights some dudes on horses

question: do the rusted weapons and shields have a set weapon they come or is it random?

Serenes says it's a pool but each weapon is predermined when they spawn.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Conquest of probably the most fun I ever had playing an FE, but like Endorph said in the general thread in retrospect it feels like virtually every mission is a bomb diffusion or something, and it's kinda hard to hype myself up for replays given how godawful my endgame army relative to the enemies was despite being way better than my Birthright crew. And, you know, no loving soul, the polar opposite of this.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

what does ltc mean

Low Turn Count, beating the map with as little turns as possible.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ahaha wow, Witch Mountain: Witch Harder can go gently caress itself.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Who's best with the Angel Ring? Or is luck pretty useless?

Luck is still effectively Dodge, so give it to anyone dealing with caster with Excalibur or Brave Sword guys I guess? It's not really something I use frequently in any case.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

You can't really dodge Excalibur.

Dodge, not Avoid. You know, Crit Evasion?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

You should say that then!!

Don't blame me, that's what the games call it!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ruggington posted:

the killer bow has turned tobin and python into My Two Takumis and I'm not sure how to feel about it

Takumi But Not A Dick sounds like a good deal to me?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

takumi did nothing wrong

Birthright Takumi is a cool dude with reasonable issues and mostly good unit. Conquest Takumi is not only a dick, he shot Elise with a 14 might weapon, which makes him ten kinds of garbage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ruggington posted:

conquest takumi is the only character with a reasonable reaction to how awful corrin is

Yeah, but it kinda loses impact when you find out a monster's chilling inside him driving him crazy and going LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I HAVE COME TO HATE CORRIN.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

ryoma tried to let elise slowly die of dysentry. at least takumi was just straight-up trying to murder her.

I mean, I never argued that both of them weren't dicks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Est's base resistance is actually good though, how is she getting one-shot by mages?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I thought that was gonna be a whole thing of getting her to Camus, but nope. I was extra suprised because I thought OG Gaiden didn't have ally units (besides phantoms I guess?). Was that the same in the original?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Man, a lot of the recruits in this game are optional, huh.

...how much would I hate myself for doing a minimum recruitment run?

I think you'd just have Alm, Lukas, Clive and Grey, and Celica, Mae, Boey and Saber. So it'd be pretty goddamn miserable

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also something the game is godawful at explaining is that you can upgrade most weapons once they have one star, so an Iron Bow* can just be upgraded to a Steel Bow, and a Steel Bow* can be upgraded to a Silver, and a Silver Bow* becomes the killer. So unless you really like the iron bow's +30 hit skill don't upgrade it more than once.

And the Golden Dagger Celica stars with becomes a unique sword for her at two stars.

Edit: Mostly beaten, that's what I get for taking so long.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Sucks that you can't get Deen and Sonya. Is either one a lot better than the other?

Deen just seems like a real good myrmidon in a game with two other good, worse mercs and a kinda poo poo one that'll probably still be good if you get him to Dread Fighter, while Sonya is a real good mage on a route that has Celica and Mae, who'll probably outshine the latter and blow Boey out of the water. So it's kinda subjective but I'd go with Sonya.

Edit:

Zore posted:

Sonya has some more story tie-ins, a support with Genny (Genny's only support) and you're kind of already overloaded with sword-dudes on Celica's route. Plus you get a free Brave Sword for killing Deen.

Deen is better out of the box though since he comes as a Dread Fighter and they're super broken.

Deen comes with the Brave Sword like Sonya comes with her Steel Sword, you just get it earlier. And he's still just a myrmidon, which no-selling magic aside is probably better.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 8, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don't think I pulled any shenanigans to clear that map, I just wore down all the guys I could reach with bows, then went for the kill with Grey, sloowwwly baiting everything out of the temple gradually, with Alm just chilling at the bottom to bait whatever gargoyles didn't go to the right flanking team. Mathilda and Delthea have pretty great resistance so that works for the dark mages along with a Dread Fighter Grey to bait them out.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yo, just wanted to post that (post-credit spoilers) the opening changing from kid Alm and Celica running together to the grownup ones walking together (presumably if your last save was from chapter 6) is a really sweet little detail they didn't have to do.

Also, is there anyway to kill Jedah? Because I attacked with Falchion and it did all of jack and poo poo so maybe I'm just bad and hosed something up or had something else equipped and didn't realize?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So I have to send three other guys to fight him then pick a god and pray that Double Lion procs a crit on both hits? Man that's dumb.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Supremezero posted:

It was a glitch in the original game that they decided to carry over. They did the same with Clerics being able to kill the final boss.

Wait, what now?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah the super javelin seems real real bad with that restriction, like even the normal one is kinda rear end because it's in Binding Blade: Alpha as far as hit rates are concerned only you don't have anything besides generals and fiends to "counter".

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

give someone the golden dagger, have them earth's boon as many people to death as they can, sell the resulting food.

Is there any way to get another one once you evolve it?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

but why would you pick sonya when you could get another dread fighter instead

more dread frighters

mooooore

Cause Boey is kind of not a great mage and Saber/Kamui are good? Also kinda what endorph said.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought Genny got married to Jesse since they had a support bonus despite never interacting plus her husband has to be male since, you know.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be honest I assumed there was more game on Celica's route so I went with a pretty poo poo party to try leveling my more lagging guys behind (and that didn't even work since I couldn't be assed to hike back to the statue since, you know, I thought there was more game). Alm's makes it fairly explicit that Duma Temple is a point of no return at least and feels like it had more buildup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The towers have multiple floors, so even just going between those is enough. Plus you can only take ten units, so you should at least be ready for that.

• Locked thread