Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I hope Int Sys decides to retain some of the cool stuff from Echoes for the as of yet unnamed Switch game. I'll always be fond of the way magic works in gaiden, at least. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I keep twitching every time I promote a unit before it's capped. Why is it good to do that, exactly? I haven't looked at the mechanics too deeply.

I went in pretty cautiously optimistic and ended up pretty surprised. Overall, it's up there as one of my favorite Fire Emblem games. The map design is awful and Alm/Cecila are kind of boring generic 'main character' types, but with the strange choice of not having a minimap (that I could find) simpler maps might have been for the best, and Alm/Cecila aren't bad characters by any means. Overall the characters are pretty fun which came as a surprise. I expected them to mostly be cop outs because "eh, just a remake".

Single slot inventory is something I haven't decided if I like or not. Honestly my biggest complaint other than the aforementioned map design might well be that it's pretty short.

PS: Are growth rates just low in this game? I've gotten so many 1 stat level ups and apparently Mila's turnwheel won't let you re-roll stats on those.

Except Faye and Mae. Their level ups are nearly perfect. My lovely girls. :allears:

RME posted:

the doubling threshold is 1, so a few stat points difference can really be it there

Is it 1 for spells too? My Kliff (man he's an okay character but that's a dumb name) has 10 speed and was hitting dudes with 9 speed but not doubling.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 25, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Out of curiosity will characters kill themselves casting spells if you try to make them?

The Iron Rose posted:

Spells, like items, have weight to them that will make the difference between doubling and not.

Also yeah growth rates are much lower in this game and it's a very good thing.

Gotta disagree with you entirely on the Alm Celica thing, I think they're very well written. Though the acting makes up for a lot.

I was editing my post to clarify, I don't think they're bad characters or anything! Definitely a thousand times better than Corrin.

people posted:

Spells have weight.

Huh. I guess I didn't realize that because they're not items this time around.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think one of the other things I don't like is that dating sim Emblem isn't a thing. Faye is perfect for you Alm, Celica's nice but Faye is the oooneeee.

Zore posted:

The other exception is if you want to do the post-game without buying the hilarious rip-off DLC.

Because lol at the stats on the enemies there.

(don't do the post-game)

You some kind of poor, boy?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

I already regret paying 40 dollars for.

You're right, you should have spent 60.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ah, the Australian price.

Canadian. We're like Australia, but our deadly animals are big enough to spot from a distance. :toot:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What's the name of the theme that plays on the player turn for Celica?

Also can you recruit Palla and Catria as Alm if you don't do so as Celica? Debating if I should do so on a second playthrough.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So it is! I didn't even recognize it, huh.

Endorph posted:

the complexity of love and how it can be warped, unrequited, or rendered meaningless is this game's entire theme. literally every character in the game up to and including slayde is motivated by love - familial, paternal, platonic, romantic, internal, external. it's the entire reason the whitewings are in this game. being able to play matchmaker would literally destroy the theme that gaiden had this entire time. im not saying it's an especially deep theme or that gaiden or echoes does a lot with it, but i'd rather a game have a theme that it actually sticks to, even if it's underdeveloped, than sacrifice it on the altar of shipping.

That's a fair position. I've just gotten used to Fire Emblem Shipping Simulator 20XX. I also found I liked Celica more when she was off doing her own thing.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 25, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They still get crit from it though right? Otherwise I have no idea what Luthier's purpose is supposed to be.

To confirm though, yeah, they do get crit from skill.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Reflecting on it I think the problem I had with Alm/Celica being OTP is that I just feel bad for Faye, this game's Cordelia. :(

SweaterGear posted:

I just got Saber/Jesse's A support...I really hope that they get a paired ending where they start Outer Heaven.

Sadly, there's no paired endings.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 26, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

This game also has Clair, Palla, Catria, Leon and Grey as this game's Cordelia :v:

There ia a lot of unrequited love going around here.

Well, in Faye's case, she's (optionally) a Pegasus Knight who has a traumatic experience, and an unrequited love with a main character she never gets over. Poor Faye.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

what skills do the extra promotions have, I assume they must be game-breaking to charge money for

Overclass Previous Class Abilities
Geirölul Gold Knight None but gains 1 Movement
Spartan Baron Phalanx (Def/2% chance of negating damage; increased chance with adjacent allies)
Mach Falcon Knight Fire
Morgana Priestess (not Celica) Mire, Death
Titania Saint Barrier (increases ally’s Res for 1 turn), Restore (cures an ally’s ailments)
Yaksha Dread Fighter Exorcising Venom (Skill/2% chance of inflicting an ailment if the attack connects)
Elephant Bow Knight Bowrange +3
Solomon Sage Lemegeton (summons powerful illusory allies)
Maeve Princess Aura
Conqueror Hero Bowrange +1

So it seems... Eh.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I wonder why they felt the need to include the plot revelation they did in the bonus dungeon, because it's kind of :psyduck:.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Man, some of those endings. "Genny ha a husband but won't tell her friends who he is." "Faye has a happy family life but abandons them for months at a time to go creep on Alm."

I feel like someone at IntSys had a bad breakup around the time of FE1's release and still hasn't gotten over it. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Clive is always shown to be the charismatic leader guy so he becomes the charismatic leader guy, and his wife who is more skilled than him and better at murdering becomes the secret force acting behind the scenes. Like the ending would probably make more sense if Mathilda was treated as being skilled in politics or something other than just being the strongest and the best warrior, but I don't think it comes off as completely out of place.

E: Mathilda's ending doesn't say 'she retires and becomes a housewife', it's 'she retires and supports Clive from behind the scenes', is I guess what i'm saying.

Dude, he was making a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

There's really no more details than that? That's pretty lame tbh

e: Apparently the credits song is called "Heritors of Arcadia" so I wonder if they're planning to shoe-horn in a connection like that when they remake FE6

The most sensible single-timeline theories put the Elibe games before the Archanea games so it's not wildly implausible Mila and Duma came from Arcadia, I guess

It's incredibly dumb, but there was a bunch of connections for FE 1/2/3 to Awakening from Awakening.

e: oh I misread.

• Locked thread