Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
See, this game is good but there would have been a lot of things that would make it better.

Like give me access to some of the rad enemy only classes! Also give me a special monster unit as a pet that I can promote into the various neat monsters. Like how we got things like Ballasticians in FE11, or that Xane's whole deal.

Also maybe don't give me 3 playable spear classes and 1 sword class. Like have one of them use swords too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mandatory lesbian posted:

i forged a pretty good sword for alm, and then not 2 battles later the royal sword came and blew it out the water

kinda mad i don't have 3rd sword user, gray is on pretty much permanent levin sword duty since drat it's useful

Send one to Celica. She has a glut of them, especially if you make Atlas a Merc to fix his speed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
My Atlas has like 26 str and 17 speed. Anything he looks at melts.

Making him a myrm is crazy good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Send the Rion Shield to Alm so he can do a sidequest.

I sent the Levin Sword to Celica since she gets a fuckton of sword units and some were worse than Alm's sword dudes for me so they could use it better.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Boey is good for setting up kills for weaker units if nothing else. And he gets enough defense that he's incredibly useful as part of your frontline, especially if you give him a shield.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
What are some good weapon evolutions to shoot for? I got Celica's Golen Zofia evolced already and now I have Alm and Celica's army with like 250 silver and 1 gold apiece at the beginning of chapter 4.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

Turning the shadow sword into a second brave sword is nice. If you've made Atlas a cavalier, a javelin can be forged into a 2-3 range one that's great for him.

Atlas actually has a Brave Sword already since it only cost 50 silver. He turned into a monstrous Dread Fighter, he has 7 more strength than anyone else in the army (tie between Mae, Celica and Methilda at 21) plus 21 speed and decent def+ the dread fighter's lol res.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

I haven't touched the shadow sword because I'm afraid of what curse does.

What does curse do

Sometimes when you attack it damages you instead. Its just a devil weapon by another name.

Like I used it to drag Jesse through his poo poo phase, but just spend 50 silver and you can make it into a Brave Sword (which is not a brave sword in the fire emblem sense, no double attacking. More like a killer sword)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Is gaining skills required just battles or specifically using it?

Also shields seem incredibly useless by chapter 3? Anyone that doesn't have a weapon has a ring that gives recovery for my team.

I don't have enough rings for that.

Also they're fantastic for squishy mages like Sonya or Delethea since they have absurd speed anyways and a few points of def turns them into 3rkos and they can wade into combat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is there anywhere to forge weapons in Chap 1?

No. The villages with blacksmiths open in chapter 3.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Celica gets better units than Alm as a rule which helps. The Whitewings absolutely all clown on Clair, she gets multiple good mages, Genny gets a summon super early to abuse the AI.

And Celica is better than Alm by virtue of having similar growths and stats plus a ridiculously good spell list. Also a fuckton of Dread Fighters. And a better selection of weapons at all points.

Alm meanwhile gets stuck with all the deliverance chucklefucks like Python, Forsythe, etc who are mediocre and a bunch of growth units who won't turn out as well on average as people Celica gets who are super strong.

Hell even after Alm gets Methilda, the strongest recruit he gets at base to that point, Celica immediately one ups him and gets a stronger cav. Its a little nuts.

My weak links on Celica's team would be super stars on Alm's. I have two mages running around with 20/20 mag/speed on hers with a ring that increases magic range by 2 while loving Kliff at the same level is trudging along with like 12/12.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

did you just say atlas is better than mathilda, because lol

Not Atlas, though he is, I'm talking about Conrad.

Promote Atlas to Mercenary. Boom, he's instantly better than any other one in the game and scales stupidly well. Like he has 10+str on all my other sword dudes with similar speed and defenses.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 22, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

mathilda and conrad are like 50% of the game apart from each other

Not really? She's 3 maps before the end of Alm chapter 3 and he joins Celica 3 maps into Chapter 4.

mandatory lesbian posted:

atlas is def not better then mathilda, atlas has a high attack and literal nothing else going for him

Promotion fixes that because sword dude bases are loving stupidly good. And they raise all the stats he isn't likely to raise naturally so he can focus on one rounding everythinf.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 22, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am definitely not getting as good a use out of the Whitewings as others seem to be. They're good but not spectacular.

Also, I gave Forsythe a Shield so now he takes no damage from non-mages and Python fills the important Sniper role of standing 4 squares away and htting mages before they do anything.

They might be eating some of my good RNG because I also have a garbage Saber who's the worst of all my Dread Fighters now that Kamui has overtaken him in every stat and Jesse is like +3 str/+4speed/+3 def.

Palla went through a rough phase before promotion, but once she got to Falcoknight the in-built anti monster stuff has made her and Catria/Est fantastic considering how many monsters swarm you on Celica's route. And how many maps are obnoxiois for non-fliers to get around.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
But seriously Clair needs to not be allergic to gaining str. She is a level 4 Falcon Knight with 11 strength, 3 over base, and two of those were fountain points. 1 point in 15 levels is the worsssst.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
At least they have better bases than Clive. Holy poo poo is he outclassed by everyone.

His supports with Mathilda where she's like 'just leave the actual work to me' are very good and funny though. He is such a jobber compared to her.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also Celica has a bunch of really good sword dudes already, while Sonya is roughly as good as Mae and blows people like Boey or Nomah out of the water.

Though, uh, remember supports are like 15 lines total in this game and Sonya/Genny just get like 25 cevade from theirs. They aren't super critical.

Supports honestly feel pretty tacked on overall, a whole lot of them are about sweet gently caress all. Looking at you Tobin.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 22, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

it's actually quite good that promotions just lift you to the class base; If i'm understanding it correctly, promotion basically erases bad levels and compensates for the low growths.

Its weird because it heavily incentives characters who buck their class trends while screwing over ones that follow them. A Dread Fighter will always have good speed because their speed base is insane, so having a good speed growth is only going to get you a few extra points which literally only matters against enemy gargoyles and Dread Fighters.

Meanwhile if you have good str/def and no speed growth you're hugely more effective since your speed gets boosted to nuts levels while speedy characters don't get a similar str/def boost.

Honestly its mostly a problem with the mercenary line and their bases because they're absolutely idiotic compared to everything else.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hivac posted:

Does this game have circular progression if I eventually want to make the lizard brain happy with big numbers

Not for everyone. Dread Fighters can promote back to Villager to do infinite cycles, but for any other class you need a Villager Fork item which is currently a 1/off freebie download.

Also Celica and Alm only get 20/20 since they can't go Villager.

Their is paid DLC that adds an extra tier of classes as well, but lol at paying for that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Eh, supports themselves seem that way but between base conversations, banter during battle, and general way more cutscene time, they are equal for me.

I mean, Tobin and Gray are STILL relevant and active in story cutscenes in chapter 4! That's goddamn amazing.

Kind of. Most people still fall out of the story pretty hard though outside of them and Clive.

Like Lukas just disappears the second you get to Clive. And having a small core of 6-8 'story' characters is the norm for all Fire Emblems anyways. They just don't cycle as much since the story isn't as long as most FEs.

Soren and Titania were relevant all throughout PoR for instance.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I just got my poo poo wrecked on the Valley Approach only to realize I maaaaybe wasn't supposed to fight it yet, as Palla flew off after the battle. Good thing I hadn't saved! So instead I trekked back to the ocean shrine place to get Atlas promoted. I made him an archer as I was planning to but uuuuugh. Now he has 3 speed. The only promotion bonus he got was +1 hp. Why didn't I just make him a merc? He would've been bumped up to 10 spd that way!

It's because I wanted a Balanced party and I wanted some extra ranged support besides Leon. But now I'll have to feed him a lot of kills to get him up to snuff. At least he can plink at things from complete safety behind the front lines!

(Archers in this game are pretty great.)

That must have been it! The mechanics are still tripping me up...

Atlas is the best merc in the game, rip. He has almost no native speed growth but that doesn't really matter when class bases get you up to 16.

Also his skill is low so he seems like he'd be pretty poo poo as an archer with their shaky accuracy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

hostess with the Moltres posted:

What am I supposed to do with the chopping axe?

Quest item. You can give it to a lumberjack

Tae posted:

Dread Fighter is absurdly the best class by far. Fast, relatively tanky, and is your best tools to fight all those goddamn Arcanists and Necrodragons and anything else magic related.

Also they are more flippy ninja poo poo than anything in Awakening or Fates, which is impressive in its own right.

Yeah, there are fantastic pegs and mages but thats due to their growths and individual bases. Dread Fighter bases can salvage anyone.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Abilities are a godsend for feeding kills or taking out bosses as well since they usually have substantial might/accuracy boosts.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Faye also has a smallish speed problem and Peg/Falcon bases aren't great.

Plus if you stick her next to Alm with their support she can Nosfeatu tank for days as a cleric which is hilarious.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I liked the "can we really afford to detour to rescue some peasant girl?" "Gee, Clive, I thought you were the noble who WASN'T a dick."

Clive us a really cool and well written character. He's a dude who's heart is in the right place and is aware he has shortcomings, but fucks up a bunch because he still has a bunch of lovely stuff internalized.

He's basically the character I was hoping Xander would be.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
There are good supports, but honestly they're almost all super short and don't reveal anything new about the character. Faye's are all 'I sure am incredibly obsessed with Alm' stretched out over both her supports and the majority of her base conversations. Or the Whitewings which are literally all 'hey, here's our dynamic' stretched out.

I dunno, but the only supports I've really liked have been Clive/Mathilda, Grey/Clair and Leon/Kamui. Where they actually bounce off each other and show us new things. Most of the others range from inoffensive to actively feeling like pointless filler.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I kinda like Faye and Silque's. The first two ranks are basically the same but there sorta seems to be a point to it, and in the A rank Faye barely even talks about Alm!

It's no Kliff/Tobin.

I mean its kinda funny, but they really didn't need the 'gently caress you, you aren't Alm' thing to last two ranks. Like its a single note joke played back to back.

Also I might care about Faye if I knew literally anything about her beyond her dangerous obsession with Alm. Or if it ever had a payoff, like if Alm loving told her off in their A rank. Or there was a little base convo or something.

Like her and Alm don't even interact in their support as such. She says creepy poo poo, he kinda goes 'thats... odd' repeat x3.

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 22, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Its weird because enemy res scales up semi-normally. And then you have people on your side who are lucky to ever proc their growth once so enemy mages get more deadly as the game goes on as your Res doesn't scale.

Meanwhile things like the levin sword fall off hard after a point because enemies start rocking enough res it does like 3 points of damage to half the field because Monsters/Sages/Witches/Dread Fighters etc all have decent Res.

Meanwhile Clive is getting 70% of his HP ripped out per cast in the late game and your knights can be 1RKO since their speed is so abysmal.

Also later recruits have way higher base Res for reasons? Why does Clive have 1 and Mathilda have 10? You could level Clive to level 200 and he'd be lucky to get to 10 Res.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

'cause mathilda has boobs

But all the male cavs who join later also have like 10 res. Its weird.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Mathilda is a res cav, while Clive is the physical tank. They work well as a partner unit, I guess.

Levin Sword never fell too far for me because that super ability is still good enough.

Literally the only problem I had with magic are witches because they go for Python every single time and kill him.

Mathilda and Clive gave the same base Def. And she has a better Def growth.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

mathilda joins with like 7 levels on clive.

1, if you promote him at 7. He's a level 6 Cav, she's a level 1 Paladin. And he has a 30% growth which means he'll maybe probably proc it once before promotion.

And she has a better def growth so she'll win there long term.

She also has like 6 more skill and speed and better overall growths, but Clive really has nothing going for him over her. He beats her in HP growth, which is pointless considering how much it goes up on promotion. And she kicks his rear end everywhere else by like 10-20%.

Like they're only remotely balanced against each other if you grind him out a bunch of levels before promotion. Otherwise he'll always be the poo poo cav.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 22, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

So strategy question... I'm on the Desert Stronghold and uh... not doing well. Is there a smart way around Archer Hell? Yeah I can have them plink of Valbar for days, but that doesn't draw them out of their hidey hole, and if I send anyone else out there they will get murdered. Anybody got a tip? Something I'm missing?

Have Genny summon dudes.

Its the solution to most of life's problems. Archers will prioritize the summons over your dudes most of the time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm still mad at myself for picking Deen over Sonya, but I don't know if I'm mad at myself enough to give up three days of game progress.

:sigh: Sorry Genny, I guess you'll have to wait for a replay for a support.

If it helps the support is mediocre and give basically no mechanical bonus.

quote:

edit: Should Delthea be the exception like Alm and Celica to wait until 20, because she's been getting 3+ stats minimum every time.

Maybe if you want to do heavy postgame stuff. Promote her right away and she won't be anywhere near cap by the end of the game.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 22, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
My Boey managed to get enough speed to be in that sweet spot where he can double other mages/archers/knights and his def up enough to avoid 2hkos. That coupled with 20 Mag means he can nuke/heal or set up kills for people.

And since he's a mage with a 3 range spell using him as artillery is never a bad idea. Especially with the +10 to hit sages get and +10 his Mae support gives him.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Andrast posted:

Speaking of forging, are there any especially good weapon evolves I should be going for?

Celica's personal weapon is good, but honestly she doesn't need it. It comes with some nice skills and evolves from her dagger though.

The shadow blade(a devil weapon) only costs 50 silver to turn into a Brave Sword (which is basically a Killing Edge)

Javelin can be upgraded into a powerful 2/3 range weapon which can be interesting.

You can also turn a steel bow into a longbow if you want 2-6 range archers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

This is why you make them all Mercs.

Yeah, Grey and Tobin are going merc every time from now on. The base stat boosts sre unbelievably good for making them usable, and you can always slap the Levin sword on one if he starts feeling ineffective.

You do need magic though and Selique is hilariously bad at it. Kliff/Faye really should probably be Mage/Cleric or the beginning is rough as hell.

Atlas should also be a merc because it makes him hilariously good. Cavs and Knights just have some really lovely bases compared to Mercenaries and its hard to justify either of them since the villagers need the immediate boost more.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

I have a powerful urge to make all the villagers archers in my second playthrough.

Plz let us know how your Alm solo run goes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I forged Atlas a bow named "Plz gain Spd."

Does Sniper give any speed boosts? Please say yes. :gonk:

Hahahahahaha

Honestly the promotion bonuses may as well be non existent outside of HP for anyone who isn't in the merc or knight line because their base stats are so goddamn low.

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 22, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Are weapon skills determined by number of times using the weapon, being in battle, or what? Because I had the royal sword for like 2 chapters and I still haven't unlocked the last skill.

Determined by use.

Some have absolutely absurd requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Cleric is probably better for Faye gameplay-wise, especially if I end up doing the post-game, but pegasus knight feels like it fits her more characterwise, what with her killing all of Alm's enemies for him.

She can kill the hell out of people as a Cleric too. She gets some really rad attack spells.

• Locked thread