Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

some of the map designs are a little janky

I would correct this to "many of the map designs are extremely janky"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I don't want anybody to look at my posts and think I don't recommend the game, because I do. I'm just more down on it than Endorph and she posts more than me so a lot of my SoV posts are replying to her about how I think it's worse than she does, even if I still think it's a good game that's worth buying

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The male classes are:
Mage (2 tiers)
Cavalier (3 tiers)
Soldier (3 tiers)
Archer (3 tiers)

The female classes are:
Mage (2 tiers)
Cleric (2 tiers)
Pegasus Knight (2 tiers)
Cavalier (3 tiers)

The female-exclusive classes are both two tiers and the male-exclusive classes are both three tiers, but the shares classes split the difference.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pastrymancy posted:

There are no heart seals in this game, right?

Nope

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think every dungeon has a statue somewhere in it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

i mean, everyone's coping with it in some way. except faye, but faye is just a joke about oldschool FE fans.
I think she's a yandere, not some weird meta-joke

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They requite in their A support from what I recall of the japanese version

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a ton of it and by all reports it's all garbage

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My favorite animations are the (female only? not sure) villager animation where do do a loving bloodborne dodge and then follow up before hitting the ground, and the triangle attack animation

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So like, if Cipher has original characters, are they from any of the normal FE worlds? Are they just sort of there, in this FE card game, not being FE characters, or are they inserted retroactively into old stories as original character do not steals?

Also the guy on the right is the only one that aesthetically looks like an FE character. The Pegasus Knight on the left could be one maybe though she's still a bit unusual. The two in the middle just straight up don't look like they belong in Fire Emblem.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

you're right, i cant believe how out of place and terrible those characters are.

I made my judgments solely based on the art on the serenes link. I stand by my decision to not do any further research.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

im gonna keep adding female myrmidons to that post until you go 'yeah okay my bad'

please do

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pictured: 2 and a half people that don't look like FE characters

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

i mean even in that art yuzu looks like kagero and shade looks like tharja

not really though

They all have a million details and color variations and accessories and clothes doodads

FE characters typically have one or two dominant colors in their designs and even the more complicated clothing like Camilla doesn't approach the amount of tiny details in the ninja's outfit

Like they aren't bad art but they look nothing like FE. The myrmidon art you posted in your reply looks much better though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't actually played hard mode but based on my normal mode experience I can't imagine it's the kind of game that gets more fun when it's harder

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You guys will regret upping the difficulty when you hit the map where there's like 40 cavaliers in a big open field and your units all have 4 move and all start in range of them and you're split up and there's no chokepoints and every enemy takes 3 hits to kill and your guys die in 2 hits even in normal mode

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Also I can't find a good explaination in game, but weight functions like the 'effective doubling speed' mod steel weapons had in Fates right? Like its subtracted from your speed for the purposes of offensice doubling but helps protect you from being doubled right?

It straight up modifies your speed stat.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Are you sure? Then why the hell doesn't it just show negative modifiers on your status screen like Steel weapons do?

No I'm not. I assumed you were talking about the negative modifier on your stat screen since my english copy isn't arrive until tomorrow

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

I'm talking about how Fire has 3 weight. Kliff has 5 speed and cannot double 4 speed cavaliers. However, they also don't double him.

That's why Im making the assumption it just affects your ability to double or they should be doubling him, right?

I just booted up my japanese copy and Delthea (23-3 speed from a shield) attacking with fire (3 weight) against an enemy with 9 speed doubles it. If she attacks with Ragnarok (14 weight), she gets doubled. It seems to be a straight speed modification.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fire Emblem is kind of unintuitive in enough places that I wouldn't mind if the tutorial included advice in addition to instructions on how to play the game, and what level to promote at is definitely one of those things.

Alternatively, bring back FE9's promotion system, it was basically perfect

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pick whichever villager has the shittiest stats, promote them to mercenary, and give them the levin sword. They are now Good and will remain at least decent through most of the game even if all their levelups are crap forever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Booky posted:

I just got this game and I was wondering: Is any of the paid DLC considered good/worth it?

Also, Villagers can promote at like 7 right? Are you supposed to basically instantly promote them at that point?

No

Yes, and that doesn't apply just to villagers--promote everyone right away

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

The Cipher DLC could be good, but in general just wait for a sale.

These new deliverance guys kinda suck. I guess Python is okay if you never have a sniper?

The secret to archers is that despite having 1-5 range they still all kinda suck

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Booky posted:

I'm eyeing the Cipher DLC, tbh. :v:

And is the promote everyone instantly thing due to like low stat caps or something?

There's two factors behind it.

One is that promotion bonuses work like they did back in the original Gaiden--they bump your stat up to a certain value (e.g. a villager promoting to mercenary will have their speed set to 10 if it's below 10) but have no effect if you're above that. In other words, the longer you wait, the worse the promotion bonuses get.

In addition, the exp formula is kind of weird and a level 1 promoted unit will gain more experience than a level 10 unpromoted unit (though not as much as a level 1 unpromoted unit). I don't really understand the details, but it's pretty noticeable.

You will never hit the level cap in normal play anyways so you don't really care about losing out on potential levels.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Booky posted:

Ohhh, ok. Thanks for the help, everyone! :)

Also, when do non-Villagers get to promote? Does the game tell you?

There'll be a little popup saying something like "X is ready to promote" when they hit the level requirement. In addition, in all menus there will be a little Mila statue icon next to their level if they can promote.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Faye is basically the best unit in Alm's army, unless mine was just wildly above average. And apparently I didn't even promote her optimally.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There are four maps in Gaiden

Open field
Boats
Desert
Dungeon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Boats is the best of the four

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mabels big day posted:

Ok wasnt sure it was a menu or something. How many fights until i get there

There's a Mila statue in every dungeon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mabels big day posted:

One last question: is there any reason at all to keep my villagers from promoting as soon as they can?

Promote everybody in all classes at the first opportunity. Do not wait until 20, for any class

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pastrymancy posted:

How do you guys decide who recruits who?

Alm should recruit everybody he can

The fact that Celica can grab people from Alm's army is mostly just leftover jank from Gaiden, not like an interesting decision point

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

dmboogie posted:

Is this indicated in any way?

They'll say "hey we're going back to town now" and then if you don't go back to town you don't recruit them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ungulateman posted:

Just starting, this is some Shadow Dragon-tier production values except with better overworld sprites, actual combat models, and voice acting - good voice acting!

so...nothing like shadow dragon?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

im gonna need cheetah to weigh in on this

I can't remember any of them besides the one with all the apples

I can't tell you whether it was well-animated or not but I liked the apples

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Getting kinda weird about characters having different personalities, there

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Witches are part of the bad jank

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There is some counterplay in that witches will never teleport if they can attack somebody by walking. It's obviously not relevant until you're closing in on them though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

A couple of mechanics questions since the manual for this game is useless. Is the speed doubling rule "they double if they have 1 more speed than you, you double if you have 4 more speed than them" or is something else going on that affects doubling? And what's the range on gaining support affinity? Seems almost random whether it'll go off on folks who I *know* have them.

The doubling threshold is 1 straight up. Support point range is 2.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The mage girls are pretty universally better than the mage boys in this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Delthea is Nino if Nino joined a quarter of the game earlier and had exclusive use to a gently caress off nuke of a spell

• Locked thread