Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zore posted:

I don't even know what the world is coming to when I can't make two fire emblems kiss and get a two sentence blurb in the epilogue about how they lived together happily forever.

Nintendo is withholding crucial gameplay here.

There's still sort of that in the endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A lot of the negative aspects of the reviews are the same things everyone else complained about: Bad maps, long tedious maps, lack of variety in maps, and the dungeon crawling is really underutilized. Basically anything Echoes is carrying its weight, anything OG Gaiden is what's bringing it down.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Avalerion posted:

No weapon triangle, guess that means you just whack away with the strongest thing you got?

There's no axes at all, so terrain is king because stuff like Tombs give +60 avoid (but magic negates terrain).

And things generally die much, much slower. In most other FE games, you end a fight at 2 fights maximum. Echoes is more like 2 minimum outside of specific situations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would heavily recommend SoV if being different is the thing you're looking for and you never played Gaiden before.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If you make Silque the only healer, how exactly does she replenish her health? Nosferatu prayer?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I thought Boey and Mae was pretty clear

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Has the English script been leaked then? I remember hearing a few of the supports have started showing up online, but is enough of the full script out there to be talking about overall translation quality.

The entire game is online already.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm confused, is Mae and Boey really unrequited or was this changed from the japanese?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Seems like the Cipher dlc characters will have conversations with themselves and some bonus items. Still no clarification if it's an Anna thing or not.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Do Kliff and Faye have supports with anyone on Celica's side? Is there a good reason to have her get them besides doing it for the sake of it? I mean, she apparently has her share of peg knights and mercenaries, so I guess they could be her cavaliers?

No, supports in general is really tiny compared to most games.

Alm and Clair:
Alm and Mycen:
Alm and Faye:
Lukas and Clive:
Gray and Tobin:
Gray and Clair:
Tobin and Kliff:
Silque and Faye
Clair and Delthea:
Clive and Mathilda:
Forsyth and Python:
Luthier and Delthea:
Tatiana and Zeke:
Celica and Mae:
Celica and Atlas:
Celica and Nomah:
Celica and Conrad:
Mae and Boey:
Genny and Sonya:
Saber and Jesse:
Jesse and Deen:
Valbar and Leon:
Kamui and Leon:
Palla and Catria:
Palla and Est:
Catria and Est:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

More details on the Cipher DLC: https://serenesforest.net/2017/05/18/echoes-details-cipher-collab-character-introductions/

They're battle maps, you get two characters per DLC (4 bucks each, 8 total), and they have supports+Base conversations with each other. Also exclusive spells and items.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Retcon posted:

These battle animations are so smooth, wow. Love how your units are going into battle with a running start.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

7 is way too much

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I should've went to a midnight release or something. 50 minutes for one game to download this small is stupid.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh nooooo I just found out my circle pad is completely hosed

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Who did you give the +3 speed to?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

My Kliff got +3 speed via levels, so I felt like that was a waste.

I ended up giving it to Tobin because him only hitting once is really mediocre.

These weapon skills seem stupidly cheap for how powerful they are. Straight up +5 might and 10 hit for 1 HP? Why not.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

My Faye is currently a Nosferatu tank with the leather shield

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh my god, leveling Clair up is so painful. She does like 1 damage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I just met Clive and I already have a Knight, Sniper, and Myrmidon. If anything, it's too fast.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Cipher DLC could be good, but in general just wait for a sale.

These new deliverance guys kinda suck. I guess Python is okay if you never have a sniper?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Booky posted:

I'm eyeing the Cipher DLC, tbh. :v:

And is the promote everyone instantly thing due to like low stat caps or something?

Promotion in Echoes/Gaiden is that units automatically get brought up to the base level I.E. if Lukas has 6 defense when he promotes to Knight, he automatically gets raised to the Knight's base defense which is higher.

The exception apparently is Alm/Celica.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Booky posted:

Ohhh, ok. Thanks for the help, everyone! :)

Also, when do non-Villagers get to promote? Does the game tell you?

They still get the indicator just like villagers I.E. I got Tobin the "He is now ready to be a sniper!" message. Also there's a marker over their name or something as a constant reminder.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I regret not giving the +3 speed to Faye because with the leather shield, she's my 2nd best defensive unit. It's basically Awakening again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kilff is too useful because he's the only one hitting 95% while everyone else is struggling to hit 70.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I kinda feel like the levin sword is wasted on Alm since it's flat damage and he has ridiculously high strength. But my only other sword user is Tobin who gets free attacks with the iron sword.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

First battle against a Cantor.

1st 10 minutes: oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo he one-shots almost everyone

"genny learns Invoke"

Well then

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I beat the necro dragon and got a blessed ring. Genny has infinite invoke

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Some of the recruits require backtracking. I've seen a lot of people miss out on the whitewings.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Man, they do not want you to backtrack in chapter 3. Got annihilated by Gargoyles when I wanted to promote Python and Clive when I tried to go to the Thieve's cave. They double everyone and even Alm could barely scratch them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Are you playing on normal?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Dragons double everyone on Hard, otherwise I would just box it in without problem.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think I need to start grinding. Midway through chapter 3 is kicking my rear end because if there's 3+ gargoyles, I'm dead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm talking about Alm's team.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zore posted:

I have Kliff (mage), Alm and Grey (Levin sword) who can all one round them, 2 knight who can completely tank them and most of the rest of the team can chip one down. If Faye gets a little lucky she can one round them as well with Nosferatu. They only have 10 speed, right?

My Alm is a monster.

Are you playing on normal, because the gargoyles range from 12-15 speed.

My fastest unit is Clair as a Falco Knight at 14 speed

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zore posted:

Im playing on Hard, but I haven't hit that tier of gargoyle yet I guess. Im in chapter 3 but I've mostly done Celica's stuff.

Though I will say I have Clair at 16, Grey at 17, Alm at 14 and Kliff at 14 speed. Peg/Myrm/level 12/level 11 mage

...looking at averages my dudes are absurdly blessed which may be skewing things.

Yeah my kliff has 9 speed. Alm has 10. Gray is my fastest at 16 but currently at 13 because he's got the lightning sword.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Turns out there's an auto-level fountain at the end of this dungeon. I leveled Kliff, Faye, and Seliph to promotion and now Gargoyles aren't a problem.

My units must godawful though if it weren't for Gaiden's promotion system.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zore posted:

The worst part of this game is how tedious the random encounters are, holy poo poo. Especially the ones that spawn on the overworld, they're just the same goddamn thing over and over.

Eh, if the game didn't have extra EXP after every battle and skill learning, I would be more annoyed.

Extra Tasty posted:

I would love if Python could hit something. I think that would be cool and good.

Python seems to be by far the worst unit on the team. He's slow, inaccurate, and generally doesn't have the stats to survive hits partly because he gets doubled by everything.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

Python is awful but Forsyth is a strong contender as well

Forsyth is at worst a knight that can soak up damage and do formation in a game of open maps. Also, mine turned out similar to Lukas so just slap shields on them and let them be decoys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

they own extremely hard, actually

"Sure, I'm still hyper! Let's go!"

You're leaving out the detail that Mae does a super low voice for "Let's go!"

• Locked thread