Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
This is super minor and weird but I saw a tumblr post showing that Alm is left-handed and as a left-handed dude this makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy

i was going to buy the game anyway but this helps me rationalise the decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Just starting, this is some Shadow Dragon-tier production values except with better overworld sprites, actual combat models, and voice acting - good voice acting!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the line thickness on clive's chin is bugging me to an unreasonable degree lmao

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The first cantor on Celica's route is pretty tough - are you actually supposed to kill him, or does he go away after a while? I only managed to take him out because Saber rolled a crit on an absymal hit chance.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Tae posted:

The biggest issue I have is that their crits are just a single portrait of their official art. They HAVE yelling faces, it's such a weird choice.

agreed, the default art on crits is basically the only part of the game's presentation i dislike

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Saber criticaled the necrodragon twice in one fight and killed it from 80% health lmao

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

also i decided i have another criticism: characters saying dumb things when you get 1-stat level ups when 1-stat level ups are the norm and to be expected, unlike in awakening/fates

Tae posted:

Saber hasn't been that useful to me since Valbar joined. The only thing he's there for is to activate the golden dagger for free supplies, but that's about it.

give him an actual sword

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Boey's secret is he gives Mae +20 hit, he could have straight zeroes and still be worth deploying for that

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

My Catria has hit Str/Skl/Spd basically every level up while Palla and Est are consistently getting 1-statters lmao

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

alm's army is so loving bad lmao

kliff and tobin are getting doubled and killed by literally everything, on normal, on maps with zero ways to protect them

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i am also a big fan of finally beating the paladin reinforcements that spawned because i did celica's part of part 3 first and then having another one spawn literally immediately after every battle, and having to backtrack to the hideout every time i need to promote someone because they're loving useless until they do and i can't get to the next mila idol without fighting more paladin reinforcements in addition to the actual chapter forces

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I love all the cocky lines people have for dodging, and that they also say them upon taking 1 damage, regardless of whether it's 'exactly 1 damage' or 'rounded up to 1 damage'. I guess that's where all the money they didn't spend on recording decent crit lines / doing proper crit splashes went.

Same with misses, because with 1 RN and 20-60 avoid terrain everywhere, everybody is missing all the time, so record lines for that rather than the crits they're not getting because everyone has single-digit skill.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

lmao, just lmao, at whoever designed nuibaba and her chapter

instant death at 7 range on top of a mountain while the player is swamped with infinite flying reinforcements that have a basically zero chance of missing whoever doesn't get instant deathed?

e: okay they didn't mention that the instant death effect only does 50% hp to dread fighters due to their passive, that makes it actually literally possible at least

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 23, 2017

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

tobin has finally made it up from 'active liability' to 'okay unit' after three promotions

kliff, alas, has not (he's got the speed ring and he's still a terrible unit lmao)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

literally shoot whoever designed upheaval with a gun, in real life

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Zore posted:

I mean, there were a bunch of connections from Awakening to every game in the series to that point. Except maybe Sacred Stones? I can't remember.

There weren't any direct connections to Sacred Stones but the way the Fire Emblem was treated and how the stones needed to be gathered in order to seal an ancient demonic enemy was pretty clearly a reference (on top of the more direct reference to FE1/3).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Echoes has a fairly straightforward tier list, imo:

enemy units with upheaval

[unassailable gap here]

every female spellcaster (mae and celica typically being the strongest but really it's whoever has the mage [and speed] rings)
alm
mathilda
saber
catria
palla
non-saber mercenaries
clair
every male mage
archers
lukas
est
clive
The Rest

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

hey, someone (epwnleon) drew this exact joke that i thought of:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I wonder if it's worth it to shove the speed spring down Boey's throat

shove literally the entire thing into him or don't use him at all, tbh

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

They really won't. This game is not difficult once it runs out of tricks.

At least the last boss is properly hard.

the game is not difficult except for the tricks, you mean

i'm just not going to play the game after getting to duma gate, i don't care if it's hypothetically beatable, it's just not fun or interesting at all seeing my entire army take random massive resistance-piercing infinite range damage that outpaces my maximum possible healing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Eh, the cleric levelup gets a healing aura and it's massively telegraphed. On the turn it's coming out just fall back and group up to recover.

i was counting that healing

Endorph posted:

give mae the mage ring and have her seraphim the megaquake guy, then have leon use hunter's volley. grats, you've just completed a great game, and proven the justice of our culture.

no, mae and leon get loving murdered by a swarm of dread fighters and infinite gargoyles if they try and do that, i'd rather just not play the game

• Locked thread