Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

cheetah7071 posted:

I just booted up my japanese copy and Delthea (23-3 speed from a shield) attacking with fire (3 weight) against an enemy with 9 speed doubles it. If she attacks with Ragnarok (14 weight), she gets doubled. It seems to be a straight speed modification.

Since you don't equip spells in Echoes like you would equip items, and thus don't see the speed cut on the status menu, do you just have to keep track of Spd - Wt with brain? Which spell does a Mage counter with (and suffer the Speed penalty for) when attacked, the one last used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
In a fantastically painful and unfun Cleric-less Alm playthrough, can Silque be recruited by Celica much in the same way as Kliff/Faye can?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

StringOfLetters posted:

Maybe you can. But instead of doing that challenge run, why not just skip the 3DS, find a real-life brick, and hurt yourself with it until the urge passes?

(edit: this is sarcasm. don't do either of those things. :()

Yeah it was just a passing absurd thought. Even if you made the Ram Village boys into Sages that could technically heal, it doesn't excuse ignoring one of the most needed classes in Alm's army.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Carlosologist posted:

I can't lie I picked Sonya over Deen because of baps; plus, another mage is always cool

I had a thought about female Mages (as Priestesses) being able to get silly crit chances by casting Excalibur and equipping a Brave Sword or Astra. I think I tried this with Celica already and it didn't work since crit chance isn't a statstick stat unlike Mt, etc. because spells have their own Mt and don't take advantage of weapon stats like Arts do

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 25, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

In a fantastically painful and unfun Cleric-less Alm playthrough, can Silque be recruited by Celica much in the same way as Kliff/Faye can?

FYI the game saves you from attempting this extremely bad idea by not letting Silque/Forsyth/Python be recruitable by Celica. You just get a different conversation, according to reference

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah the Whitewings can all support but Clive can't support with his sister?!

Clive has supports with Clair in DLC :10bux: whoops nevermind, it's Mathilda and Clair

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 25, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Pureauthor posted:

Ok also as long as we're discussing presentation, how did they manage to drop the ball SO HARD when it comes to Critical Hits?

They use the normal smiling portraits which just doesn't communicate any intensity, and we know they have serious/stern/shouty portraits to use. And the quotes are all completely lackluster and the animations pale in comparison to the rest of the games' amazing combat animations.

Regarding the cut-in portraits, it may have been possible that the actual yelling faces that many characters already have just couldn't be implemented as higher resolution versions needed for that closeup, for development reasons. After playing the Japanese version of this game and then this one, it looks like a lot of the critical hit voice quotes that went with them read a lot more like direct translations rather than localizations--the adjacent afterbattle ally comments after critical hits/double whiffs sound much more natural in English. It's like " :geno: i've had it" vs. " :grin: Where'd you learn that one?" or " :mmmhmm: You're having a bad day."

also i felt like in the japanese script silque tries to talk to faye less randomly, because it seems she's trying to hit on her

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 25, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Cuntellectual posted:

What's the name of the theme that plays on the player turn for Celica?

"With Mila's Divine Protection". You may have heard it in Super Smash Bros.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Mage!Atlas using Sagittae never has to worry about doubling unless I screwed up badly

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

cheetah7071 posted:

When I saw that picture on reddit they said it was an old picture from well before echoes, which is it

https://twitter.com/amenochigalileo/status/868957133026582529/photo/1

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Mages with Mage Rings break most of the maps. Atlas especially since he has absurd strength.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Is there a place in-game where base conversations are recorded?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Tired Moritz posted:

Are there items that increase growth rates? I haven't touched Faye/Slique/Alm/Lukas while I let the myrm crew just sweep everything.

I like seeing numbers go up.

I hope you like DLC :10bux:

E: I mean Star Shards from Astral Temple or Inner Sanctum, to be clear. You can also talk to the right NPC at the beginning​ of that DLC to put all 12 of them together with a Black Pearl to form a Star Jacinth, if you hate flaws.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 31, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Folt The Bolt posted:

Except Sonya.

Sonya has Excalibur though so that puts her at least at parity with Sages

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The next Mila's Bounty (whenever it's released) will give one and the last one after that will give another one. 3 total including the one you have already.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The former. Just promote him right now.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Finally found the time to beat Echoes today! I definitely missed how quick and easy it was to jump into Fire Emblem and smash reds, since my last FE game I beat was Awakening. After experimenting a little bit with Act 1, I ended up making my main run a Blitzkrieg and Fire Emblem run, so Hard Classic. There are a number of places where things got pretty frustrating if I wasn't prepared enough to put up a fight at the right time.

If I had a criticism about (Hard mode) gameplay and I guess FE Gaiden, it's the huge difference between units with double-digit Res stats and units that don't. I felt like Alm's route had the best balance because of how fights devolved less into alpha-striking with huge spells while avoiding "gotcha" moments from enemy spellcasters, especially ones that had RNG-reliant Mire/Death/Medusa. Enemy Dread Fighters mixed things up a bit later in the story, but were more like man-shaped missiles to defuse rather than troopers who were there to trade blows.

Hidari's art is nice and it's great that the original game was reimagined into something immersive, but the biggest surprise for me was the absolutely fantastic full voice work. We've kind of accepted character stills/artwork for granted in RPGs for a long time now, so I wasn't expecting much in terms of characterization on first sight. Instead, some of the ways the actors hammed up their roles really brought them to life for me. A few months ago I was ready to also play a separate file of Echoes hacked to be an un-dub out of crippling weeb elitism :coal: I'm sure it's that I've just been out of touch for a long time in terms of localized JRPGs and haven't played a lot of recent ones with voice work to know any better.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Endorph posted:

There's a lot of recent JRPGs with really great dubs, and a few that are actually better than the original voices. Like Cold Steel. Cold Steel's dub is way, way better than the original JP, and the original JP performances aren't even bad.

I just read that the upcoming PC version is announced to have 50% more voiced dialogue. you will probably see me a lot in the Falcom thread this fall

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

RareAcumen posted:

I can't believe how cheap Dagon Filets are for how tough those fuckers are.

If only the sub-quest that lets you trade one for the 3-gold Exotic Spice could be repeatable, that would have been great.

Berkut and Fernand were voiced so well that even if the plot were to write them into eloping together out of Valencia and making gay furry babies I would enjoy their characters.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I don't think I would have been able to stomach Fernand's whole story without it. You know, the whole thing where he drops the only pragmatic situation he has left (working with peasants who he bears a mortal grudge against) to roll the dice with pretty much anyone who would just as easily end him without ceremony or care for his ideals. Ray Chase made Fernand's obsession with his past much more constant and clear to me, what with the attitude he put in those lines.

E: even Slayde was great, which I suppose makes sense since he's got to make a good first impression for the game, but he's a one-dimensional jobber, of all things.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

irlZaphod posted:

, it was really great that practically everything in Echoes was voice acted. I loved a lot of the Critical Hit snippets too, especially Delthea's "Seeya!"

"Sorry! (Not sorry.)"

• Locked thread