Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Welp, finished the game, loved it, had just the right amount of preserved things from Gaiden to make it still feel like Gaiden. I wouldn't have complained had they redone the maps to not be toss, but at the same time that isn't a deal breaker for me. What got me the most in Echoes was how everyone sounded like a loving human being. There were very few cases of "As you know *Insert thing that is known*" Faye was like the most 'gimmicky' cast member, and even she has her moments. Leon was a pretty good standout for me. There's a lot to be taken away for me from a writing perspective when updating a game that was so bereft of text like the original Gaiden.

All in all, this is a better remake than Shadow Dragon or New Mystery. Beyond those games being ugly as gently caress, they also didn't feel very fun to play. I dunno, they always felt very mechanical to me, and not in the sense that their mechanics drove the game, but as if they were rigid and unbending. Even with the limited supports and yeah, some of them still feel empty, they never felt like they ran too short for what they were. Also I'm fairly certain Echoes is the first FE to feature a character turn down anothers confession of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zore posted:

Lucky.

Mine literally never gained strength and was tickling enemies by chapter 3.

My Whitewings were all horrid. My Est procced single HP levels 4 times. Which considering it's only a 35% growth is loving miracle.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Apparently in Echoes if you'd be getting an empty level, you'd get a +1 HP level instead. :eng101:

So chances are your Est got about 2-3 empty levels out of those!

My favourite was Palla (At 60% strength, I think the highest in the game.) having the lowest strength across both parties and my Kliff being one of the slowest.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Vakal posted:

Finally finished the game and here are a couple things I've noticed about the world of Valentia:

- The political and social structure of the realm is governed by the size of a person's cape. Villagers are cape-less and thus of no worth to society, but as a person gain ranks and changes their class
they gain increasing larger and multi-layered capes to designate their new status. This trend continues right up to the King who wears a cape large enough to cover a small bus. I was legitimately surprised the gods were represented as dragons and not by giant sentient capes.

- The entire economy is apparently based on the trading of alcohol to the point where even the dregs of an half drank ale bottle are worth more than a finely crafted sword or shield.

Vakal is this your first FE? If so, then understand that in Fire Emblem sans the Tellius Saga and a tiny bit of Elibe. All Gods are Dragons.

The Elimine Church seems to be the only church that worships an abrahamic-style God in any FE game. And we don't really see any deities in Magvel. But for all other continents these things are pretty easy to assume.

-God is actually a Dragon of some sort.
-Dragons, inevitably (unless they slumber for thousands of years) will grow insane, their power corrupting their minds until they become single minded in their pursuits and a danger to all around them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Unless I'm forgetting something pretty major, I think that it was this game which established that dragons going mad over time is an inevitability, rather than just a possibility. The closest I can think of is FE3 establishing that dragons who stay in their dragon form too long go feral.

I was referring to Tiki when I said the sleeping for 1000 years thing delayed it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Reinanigans posted:

Why are the Duma Tower and Duma Temple so loooooong uuuuuugh

All of the unskippable battles in this game really dragged it down for me.

final dungeon of each route.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

I find Genny's writing hobby really interesting and I'm not even sure why exactly. I wish she has supports or something where she talks about it more.

Because she writes stories about buff and rough mercenaries making off with priestess girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I actually have decided to do a run, doing the traditional FE thing of going to 20 and promoting excluding villagers. And they 9/10 times were much better than promoting ASAP. Granted that could be because I was getting godly stat-ups and units were only gaining 1 HP on promotion. Which is... pointless. But, ya know, fun runs. The games still definitely balanced around promoting ASAP

• Locked thread