Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've just started Act 3 and it's nice how it manages the 2 Armies thing.

I've taken Alm back to the Deliverance hideout to do the side-quest for the Scholarly Man in Zofia Castle. Do I just need to find a specific enemy in here to get the item?

It's a pretty fun game so far, I think sometimes I can get burned out on FE games very quickly, especially playing on Classic and resetting if someone dies. Mila's Turnwheel is great for that though, although a couple of times I've had characters die on me right at the end of a fight so I don't even get the opportunity to turn back time. :v:

In Act 2, my Celica learned Seraphim right after I finished taking care of all the Pirates (which I guess the game is roughly designed to do), so I was able to go back and take on the Necrodragon.

I made Gray a Mercenary and gave him the Lightning Sword, but his defense was so low for ages (I think it's a little better now) that he was like a glass canon.

Also is it just me or does Nosferatu seem a bit overpowered? It has kind of made Faye quite invincible, I'm so used to Clerics in FE not being able to be attacked at all, but she's outdamaging a lot of enemies (so far, I'm sure it'll change though) which lets her heal whatever damage she did receive.

The dungeons are ok but I kind of dislike how annoying it is to go Promote units sometimes. Some of the dungeons you can run straight through to the Mila statue and not encounter any enemies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh one thing that I forgot to mention is that I really like that the game has more or less full voice acting. I mean there are some NPCs who don't, and there some conversations in bases which aren't voiced I think? But it's not like Awakening (and Fates also?) where you'd maybe get one line of voiced dialogue followed by random grunts, "Yes", "Chrom!" or something similar.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Terper posted:

The only ones who aren't voiced are the ones who have a sidequest associated with them.
Is there any particular reason for that? Just too much dialogue for an NPC?

e: So is that an easy way to check which NPCs have sidequests? :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm at Desaix's fortress, and I think I messed up. Desaix hits really hard, I have a few characters in danger of dying and I rather stupidly left Lucas out of range. I might have to restart the map.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you're fine with being cheap have Luthier Excalibur Dessaix and turnwheel until it crits. That should one shot him. It's not a long map though so if he's out of range resetting shouldn't put you back too far.
Is Luthier Lucas? I don't have Excalibur, whatever that is.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

No because the game was like "WE HAVE TO GO KILL DESAIX NOW"

I was thinking of hitting the village but decided not to. Maybe I'll just reload and do that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's also the reward of not having to reload a save if the CPU scores a lucky crit on you and kills one of your units.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The only thing I dislike about dungeons is that it restricts you to 10 characters, but it's a pain to choose which 10 to bring. Do you just have to rearrange the order, and it'll automatically select the first 10? I went into the Sylvan Shrine, but accidentally didn't bring Python because I forgot about that stupid thing. I had 2 healers with me too, which was such a waste. So I had to go back out to get him, and bring him back to the Mila statue. So annoying that it doesn't just give you a Unit Select screen.

The forest battle just before that was tough, all those god drat Cavaliers. I had to Turnwheel a couple of times but once I got my poo poo together the tide turned in my favour.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Endorph posted:

uh, you just click out the units you don't want and click in the units you want. like a unit select screen.
From the Order screen, do you mean? I didn't realise you could, I ended up re-ordering to do it.

It's just strange to me that when you enter a normal Skirmish on the map you have the option of a Unit Select screen, but you don't ever need to not bring any units since it lets you deploy everyone. But you don't get the Unit Select screen option when you enter a dungeon.

e: Is there any way to tell what bonuses characters get from Supports, or do I just need to look it up? As far as I can see, Clair gets a big Crit boost from Alm. I wish it showed when the battle screen opened like in previous games.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 1, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

12 for male Mages, 14 for female Mages.
wow wtf intsys

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I like Clive although I think his Res sucks and mine hasn't gained much Def. Mathilda also has even worse Def and tbh can't hit very hard yet (but I've only had her for 2 fights or something).

Should I give Silque a shield? It seems like a good idea tbh.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 2, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

People in the thread said that you could go to the Dragon Shrine without Atlas and the Peg Sisters leaving, but they both did for me after I fought Blake. :( Kind of annoying, I want to make Atlas into a non-crappy unit.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ah ok thanks. It's just a pain moving around the map when the enemies will spawn and start getting in your way.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I made Atlas a Cav... I figured I already have 2 Mercs/Myrmidons in Celica's army. I thought a Cav might be useful (although the Pegasus Knights are there too). We'll see how it works out anyway. :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

poo poo. I kind of forgot that people had been complaining about desert and poison swamps.

:smith:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Uh is the Shadow Sword worth using? It seems like it's not if it has the chance of killing myself.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ok I upgraded it to a Brave Sword and now Atlas is Crit'ing everyone. :unsmigghh:

Also I'm now on my first desert map and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this poo poo. I think I'm just going to end up having Leon sit outside the Fortress and snipe everyone because after I killed the Mages and a few other dudes, they all ran inside.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Zore posted:

You can give it to the dude looking for an Axe instead of a hatchet you find elsewhere. It gives the same reward.
Speaking of, what do the carvings do? I have a Bear Carving and a Duma Carving, are they for sidequests or something?

e:

I do remember the woodcutter talking about a Duma carving but is it for him?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm in Chapter 3, and my Palla has a Base Atk of 13. :smith:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That map turned very funny very quickly. I was continuing to pick away at the Archers and other guys in the Stronghold using Leon. I was keeping everyone else back in case the boss Wolf decided to join in. Eventually he did (I think Leon wandered into his range). He came over, took a shot, missed, then received a Crit in return, taking him out in 1 shot. The rest of that enemy turn, Leon was attacked by a few more Archers who got orko'd.

After that I was able to send everyone else in to mop up. :laugh:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I got so pissed off last night. Playing Grieth's Citadel map, everything going swimmingly. I'd basically taken everyone out except the man himself (the Archer and Mage on the left hand side were chilling there still). He was down to practically no health so I had Celica attack him (bad idea...maybe should have used magic). He misses with his first attack, then with his 2nd he scores a Crit on a 2% chance. Ughhhhhhh.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

2% crits always hit. Always.It's basically guaranteed.
True. it's pretty much Fire Emblem 101.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I picked the game back up a few weeks ago after losing the battle with Grieth to an unlucky crit on Celica during the Summer. I'm working through Alm's Act 4 now, been taking care of some sidequests. I still have Celica's to go. Overall it's enjoyable, but it's annoying to get a Game Over if either Alm or Celica die. Also, Nuibaba's map was just plain annoying. Sneaking in around the back while trying to keep out of the range of Medusa was not what I consider to be fun. It wasn't too difficult in the end, it just took a really long time.

It's the furthest I've gotten in any FE, once I'm done I'll hopefully go back and beat Awakening or something (although I'll probably play something else in the meantime, I have the M&L: Superstar Saga remake on the way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Since this thread's been bumped again, I'll cross-post this...

So I finished Fire Emblem Echoes last night, and wanted to post some thoughts about it...

As I've mentioned already, I got it at launch, played it fairly solidly at first and got to Act 3. But then half way through Celica's Act 3, I put it down when I got a game over during the battle with Grieth. I only intended on putting it down for like a day or two because I didn't feel like replaying the map again immediately, but because I'm a terrible person it ended up being left for 3 or 4 months instead. :v:

Anyway, there was a lot of stuff I liked about it. The 2 different armies was a pretty good feature, although it would have been nice if you got a dungeon at the end where you could use both, rather than just the final battle. Celica's dudes don't really get a look in during Act 5. It's kind of cool also that you get a lot of villagers who you can class however you want, if that's your thing. I was boring, and just used the recommendations in the OP of the Echoes thread, based on their growth rates and spell lists. :v: The Promotion system was both good and bad, it was good that you should just promote as soon as the new class was available, but having to trek to a Mila statue to do so was a bit annoying.

Something which gets complained about a lot with the game is the map design, and I'd probably agree there. I think later on some of them become a bit more interesting, but the first few acts are just a lot of open areas with some terrain thrown in like trees or bushes or whatever. I think Celica's maps get a bit overblown though... the desert ones are a bit annoying and slow (one of the reasons why I didn't want to immediately replay Grieth's map was because the start of it just takes so bloody long). As far as I remember though, there are only 3 or 4 like that maybe. The Swamp ones aren't too bad either really, the first one is a little slow because there's a large section of swamp which you have to cross. I only felt there were 1, maybe 2, really bad ones there. The skirmishes and random battles in dungeons do get a little bit annoying too, sometimes you can avoid them but when you can't, fighting the same set of enemies on the same map over and over again feels like a bit of a drag.

The characters I liked a lot for the most part. The Support conversations were pretty nice little bits of development, although some of them seemed a bit pointless. The amount of VA though was great, having played a bit of Awakening and Fates where there's so much "Yes" / "Huh?" / "You have my sword" placeholder dialogue, it was really great that practically everything in Echoes was voice acted. I loved a lot of the Critical Hit snippets too, especially Delthea's "Seeya!"

Overall, I thought it was very enjoyable. There's some good stuff in there, and some bad stuff, but the good definitely shines through. I've played bits of Fire Emblem/Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones, Awakening and Fates, I think at some point now I'll go back and see about finishing those off (probably not quite now though, I feel like playing something a bit different after a solid few weeks of Echoes).

• Locked thread