Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVOFibwVMw0

anybody else ever play these games? I recently just started with Wild Arms 1 and i've been really digging it. The locations are cool, the writing is funny and the story moves along really quickly. theres a small party and 1 of the three people has said like 4 things the entire game so far, but hell, who cares! The limited party means the battles arent too challenging but ive seen a lot of enemy variety and a ton of bosses in just the first 8 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDw21BXBtCY

its a pixel art based PS1 game so theres some additional fidelity over SNES contemporaries that looks great, even if the dungeons themselves are little plain. I also like that the different tools means theres light puzzle solving all over the place and feels almost like a zelda game + final fantasy.

Ill probably play through the first 3, I picked them up on PSN for cheap. Good vita game, especially. The only thing is I wish i could take screenshots but by 3 I guess ill be able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ive played part of 3 aand liked it a lot, it feels like its halfway to being a lufia 3 in some ways although maybe thats because i didn't get very far. i think im gonna go back and play 1 before i go back to 3 though

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I played 3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As a heads up, theres a section in the game called the Tripillar, which is one of the bits that makes you split up to finish it. I would highly recommend sending Jack to the left, Cecillia north and Rudy to the right. It will save you a lot of time, which I did not know and had to take a while to swap characters around into the right places. Cheers,

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well i just died for the first time this entire file and lost 40 minutes because of this Tripillar unmarked character specific path bullshit. gently caress off

fiber
Nov 18, 2012
i've only played 1 and 2 but i liked them both a lot. 2 i remember being really ugly even when it came out. great music, great presentation, i'm always a sucker for the short sectional playing as a few characters before they all get together. i hear i think 4 (or was it 3?) is supposed to be the best in the series, i've been meaning to get to the others. and yeah light tool-based puzzle solving in dungeons goes a long way to breaking up jrpg tedium.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i liked 1 a lot. i played it years ago when it was newly released. the theme is still very epic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im past the tower, and off to assault the Photosphere (helpfully the bad guys explained tyhat this means SPhere of Light)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can't remember, what do you do in the giant mech? is it just a ship type thing, or do you fight in it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I dunno, so far I only have a lowly ship.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol, sorry! that might be very mild spoilers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I figure you must get one considering they talk a lot about Golems and built it up early on that they're ancient pilotable WMDs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first three wild arms games are awesome, but if you can't stomach the translation for wild arms 2 then unfortunately you don't really have any alternative. it's really clunky in a way that's funny at first, but it gets pretty tiring to read because all the dialog is so stiff, especially with wild arms 3 coming right after it with a really great translation that reads super smoothly and has a ton of personality

wild arms 4 and 5 are really divisive, you might want to skip out on 4 cause it's mostly known for having really bad pacing

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 17, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

wild arms 1 and 2 are so good

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the first three wild arms games are awesome, but if you can't stomach the translation for wild arms 2 then unfortunately you don't really have any alternative. it's really clunky in a way that's funny at first, but it gets pretty tiring to read because all the dialog is so stiff, especially with wild arms 3 coming right after it with a really great translation that reads super smoothly and has a ton of personality

wild arms 4 and 5 are really divisive, you might want to skip out on 4 cause it's mostly known for having really bad pacing

unfortunately IT suffers from the kind of disease where he will have to play 4 if he wishes to play 5

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

In Training posted:

Well i just died for the first time this entire file and lost 40 minutes because of this Tripillar unmarked character specific path bullshit. gently caress off

lol i think i was stuck at this part for a long time when i played this as a kid

theres a part later that i just couldnt figure out that made me stop playing the game for years

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wild Arms 5 is really good imo.

Isn't a Wild Arms 6 coming out on mobile or is that Breath of Fire??

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Skeezy posted:

Wild Arms 5 is really good imo.

Isn't a Wild Arms 6 coming out on mobile or is that Breath of Fire??

wild arms 6 doesn't exist but they are making an epic mobile game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

unfortunately IT suffers from the kind of disease where he will have to play 4 if he wishes to play 5

It's true, although I'll probably pirate 4 and 5

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive never played games in this series but i saw gameplay of wildarms reloaded and it looks really drat pretty. is that a good one

e: whoops lmao i saw wild guns not arms

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 17, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sorry, wild arms isn't pretty, you must be thinking of wild guns

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I only played 3, and dropped it because the combat took forever. Gotta run around and then attack, then run some more and the next person attacks. It was actually touted as a great feature on the back cover.

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

You gonna play the remake of the first one too? It was kinda cool cuz they added more characters, but I never got very far in it

Druid Voltron
Sep 10, 2008
I have been trying to find/remember what this game was called for months...thanks OP

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i can't remember, what do you do in the giant mech? is it just a ship type thing, or do you fight in it?

Update: so far its mechanically a canoe, which is weird considering it's this monstrous sprite on the overworld. But I've just found one of the two ancient drives which will turn it into an airship , pretty badass.

I wish Calamity Jane was a party member, her story is cool and she hangs out with your crew for a lot of the game

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

In Training posted:

Update: so far its mechanically a canoe, which is weird considering it's this monstrous sprite on the overworld. But I've just found one of the two ancient drives which will turn it into an airship , pretty badass.

I wish Calamity Jane was a party member, her story is cool and she hangs out with your crew for a lot of the game

the remake, alter code f has her as a party member!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

i thought jack was really cool when i watched my older brother play wild arms 1 when i was like 6 and also i still whistle the theme sometimes

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The remake of 1 is cool OP, all the dungeons are remixed, there's more optional bosses and dungeons, the combat is on the refined 3 engine. They also have some really good remixes of all the 1 themes and a few new themes that are sick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm probably not going to play a remake of a game immediately after I played he original but I may check it out after I've played 1-5

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I thought this was going to be a thread about arms

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I defeated what I thought was gonna be the games final boss but I feel like this is the middle of the game and now I'm just kinda sailing around murking demons plotlessly

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In Training posted:

I defeated what I thought was gonna be the games final boss but I feel like this is the middle of the game and now I'm just kinda sailing around murking demons plotlessly

which boss.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

which boss.

Mother, in the photosphere.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

Welcome to 90s jrpg

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
the world map theme being directly lifted from ennio morricone's ecstacy of gold ftw

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The big twist in this game rules and is why Rudy is the only silent protagonist in a jrpg I really like.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I had found his grandpa's shack and had a little taste but it was really cool how they revealed it in the main narrative

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

lmao you sucked off his grandpa huh?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

The big twist in this game rules and is why Rudy is the only silent protagonist in a jrpg I really like.

one of the most badass moments in all of jrpgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

Thinkin about wild arms today

• Locked thread