Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

There's an insane power outage in the half of my town where i live so after work if the power still aint back im gonna bust out the vita and start wild arms 1 before bed i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nice I was just playing some more 2 while getting ready to sleep. I losing my poo poo though, there's that mechanic in the game where you can hit circle when a ! appears to prevent a random encounter. And then there's an NPC in a town who just says Encounter Cancel doesn't work when fighting terrorists...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

While Wild Arms 1 is pretty easy so far it is kinda fun just how thoroughly I can demolish bosses. Between my maxed Hand Cannon and Meteor Dive most battles so far have ended before Cecilia gets to do anything besides setup.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

In Training posted:

Also the final boss in the game is named Ka Dingle. Are you serious

lmao in the 3rd game there's a tower of ka dingle.

3rd games fun, forgot how funny it was to watch Japanese people attempt westerns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started playing 2 again and got sent to Shadow Moses Island

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Avoiding every single encounter is fun too to make the bosses more challenging.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

the rest of the odessa members are named after circles of hell from paradise lost. Odessa owns.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I love 2 but I do wish it had a better translation. It's not awful, but pretty dry.

Loved the first 3 games, really. It's just a shame 4 and 5 are pretty drat awful.

EDIT: Actually, I should correct myself with one thing: 4 and 5 actually have pretty good gameplay (with a fun little strategic battle system,) it's their stories and writing that hurt them. 4 is paced awfully and basically wants to depress the hell out of you while 5 goes full anime to the point it can be somewhat entertaining (and ironically 5 had a professional writer do the script which makes it even funnier to me at least.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 22, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just met the helpful lizard duo named Liz and Ard.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Wild Arms 1 gets much better when you realize that it took a lot of inspiration from The Dark Tower [/headcannon please respect].

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

Wild Arms 1 gets much better when you realize that it took a lot of inspiration from The Dark Tower [/headcannon please respect].

[Dr. Evil voice] Riiiiiiight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tim seems like he could be a really powerful magic user but since I skip 100% of random battles he will never learn any magic and I don't want to babysit killing blows for him like this is a fire Emblem game. So he's staying benched, permanently. Boy I hope this game doesn't do the thing every JRPG ever with a large cast does and has a dungeon in the finale where you have to cycle through everybody.

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

In Training posted:

Tim seems like he could be a really powerful magic user but since I skip 100% of random battles he will never learn any magic and I don't want to babysit killing blows for him like this is a fire Emblem game. So he's staying benched, permanently. Boy I hope this game doesn't do the thing every JRPG ever with a large cast does and has a dungeon in the finale where you have to cycle through everybody.

I remember him being super strong along with ashely and kanon I think her name was. The other 2 kinda sucked as you get further

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tim is extremely OP and worth the investment. The game does have you fight the final bosses with everyone but they are all pretty easy and the final dungeon gives you gear for everyone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I stopped by the first town and just blew through all my available guardian stones with a solo Tim party. It didn't take long at all, at first I thought that spell list was for one stone but then I realized it was just showing all the available ones. His AOE heal that ignores turn order and always goes first was necessary for some recent boss fights, thank you Tim.

I also just got Kanon and she's badass. Have recently entered Coffin of 100 Eyes, very ominous

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Kanon absolutely shits out damage once you unlock all her moves. It's kind of annoying to do for her since they have a small chance to unlock whenever you use her currently strongest move. The only other character you need to invest time on other than Tim and Kanon is the secret final character and she unlike those two is very not worth it, imo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

These diablo towers are pretty rough. Is there ever going to be a shop available where I can buy healing items, because I'm now out of revive fruits and that's tough...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The 4 person escape sequence is rad as hell and took a part from 1 that I thought was kind of annoying and made it super fun. Hell I would play a game of nothing but puzzles like that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Disc 2 outta nowhere!!!!! And now Ashely Winchester is dead floating through deep space while hallucinating conversations with an ancient <Sword Magess>, this game owns

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

thats it, im buyin a vita

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

im gonna have to start up some wild arms 3 now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

thats it, im buyin a vita

The one new game that's coming out this year releases on Friday (translation of a falcom Xanadu game that came out two years ago in Japan) so good timing

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In Training posted:

These diablo towers are pretty rough. Is there ever going to be a shop available where I can buy healing items, because I'm now out of revive fruits and that's tough...

There is and you should be able to access it by now, its a hidden area called the odd headquarters, near the telepath tower iirc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

There is and you should be able to access it by now, its a hidden area called the odd headquarters, near the telepath tower iirc.

Oh I found odd headquarters ages ago but never saw a shop there. Maybe I can do something with that robot in the basement now or something?

A few hours into disc 2 and I am completely in love with this game. They're doing the FFVI structure of a apocalyptic world with little dungeons centered on additional stories for all your party members...Very cool. And where the first disc was like wall to wall boss battles every 20 minutes I haven't seen a single one yet, nice contrast between the constant fear of human terrorism and the existential dread of mass destruction by an unknown greater power. I also like that the loading screen intro changes for disc 2 like this is the second season of an anime with a new OP

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also love the new overworld theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSaX2VgUFMg

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

We trapped a parallel universe in a giant floating trapezohedron so we could gently caress it up with bullets and missiles. And I don't even think this is the end of the game

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Wild Arms 2 has such a weird bonkers second half. Did you find the secret final character yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

Wild Arms 2 has such a weird bonkers second half. Did you find the secret final character yet.

Yeah, seems odd to give you a Blue Mage with like, two dungeons left in the game. i recruited her after i had cleared 3/4 of those mana shrines or w/e which pretty much puts you into the finale after those, I guess I could have gotten her slightly earlier, but still. it would be a lot of backtracking to give her a bunch of enemy skills to use for....the final boss I guess. Its fun to have her in the party though! and im guessing one of her tools let me access those floating pyramids that likely have superbosses in them.

im in the Spiral Tower now and will probably beat this tomorrow. drat fine game, and Im looking forward to playing WA3 in a month or so

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In Training posted:

Yeah, seems odd to give you a Blue Mage with like, two dungeons left in the game. i recruited her after i had cleared 3/4 of those mana shrines or w/e which pretty much puts you into the finale after those, I guess I could have gotten her slightly earlier, but still. it would be a lot of backtracking to give her a bunch of enemy skills to use for....the final boss I guess. Its fun to have her in the party though! and im guessing one of her tools let me access those floating pyramids that likely have superbosses in them.

im in the Spiral Tower now and will probably beat this tomorrow. drat fine game, and Im looking forward to playing WA3 in a month or so

yeah you find her second and 3rd tools in some secret puzzle dungeons you can do and the last one lets you fight the pyramid bosses. There's only one optional endgame dungeon/story relevant super boss this time around outside of the pyramid bosses so I hope you find it.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

these games look sick, im totally gonna buy them for vita and never play them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

these games look sick, im totally gonna buy them for vita and never play them

if WA2 had its battle animation speed like 3x faster it would be my second favorite PSX jrpg. I really love the settting characters music story etc and even the battle mechanics are fun, especially in tense boss fights when youre swapping through your whole party just trying to stick it out one more turn for the 9999 force blast. but i will say that the battles move reallllly slow, slower than WA1 and most FF games. which can grate after a while and may turn a lot of people off to it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

if WA2 had its battle animation speed like 3x faster it would be my second favorite PSX jrpg. I really love the settting characters music story etc and even the battle mechanics are fun, especially in tense boss fights when youre swapping through your whole party just trying to stick it out one more turn for the 9999 force blast. but i will say that the battles move reallllly slow, slower than WA1 and most FF games. which can grate after a while and may turn a lot of people off to it.

This is the main pet peeve I have with some older RPGs and why features like the fast forward in the 3DS version of DQVIII are a godsend

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have reached the Mud Guardian and had to leave, but there was no save point even after beating an entire dungeon + 2 bosses so I'm worried that this is one huge gauntlet....thankfully I have a few continue coins. I had probably died once the entire game till this tower and then got killed twice by the dragons that can start battles with a surprise attack and then use AOE Death for the instawipe. Thank god for those coins or I would have been royally pissed off at that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SPlitting your party up for the final boss is brutal

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does status lock exist in this game? Because if it doesn't I don't know if I can actually beat the final boss with just Ashely + two people who have to spam berries.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The prospect of replaying the last hour of the game which was just praying for good RNG again, just to get another shot at the final boss, to pray for more RNG, means Im probably never going to beat this game, and it will join a growing stack of JRPGs with saves on the final boss room

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

In Training posted:

The prospect of replaying the last hour of the game which was just praying for good RNG again, just to get another shot at the final boss, to pray for more RNG, means Im probably never going to beat this game, and it will join a growing stack of JRPGs with saves on the final boss room

The FAU style gamer

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Liquid Drink posted:

The FAU style gamer
I'm gonna start to kick your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

In Training posted:

Does status lock exist in this game? Because if it doesn't I don't know if I can actually beat the final boss with just Ashely + two people who have to spam berries.

Yeah! It's a red power from the skid lancer. They are south of sielje in the brown water, kinda rare though

• Locked thread