Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the uzbekistani guy who boiled 2 journalists alive was pretty bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think this has already happened but the Pope in Question was Clint Eastwood

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ogs&region=Body

quote:

People inside the White House also called the new Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue. Perdue had only been confirmed, like, a day or two earlier. And they called him in, [saying], “You need to come over here now! You need to! He’s about to withdraw from NAFTA.”

So Sonny Perdue literally asked his staff to draw up a map of the bits of America that had voted for Donald Trump and the bits of America that do well from exporting grain and corn through NAFTA. [The map] showed how these two areas often overlap. So he went in, said to Donald Trump, “Actually, Trump America, your voters, they do pretty well out of NAFTA.” And the president said, “Oh. Then maybe I won’t withdraw from NAFTA.”

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Somehow I missed that Sonny "pray for rain" Perdue was the loving Ag Secretary.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Peanut President posted:

Somehow I missed that Sonny "pray for rain" Perdue was the loving Ag Secretary.

And he's still teaching Trump basic aspects of his job.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There should be some differentiation between guys who were awful for their people but did well for themselves, like Stalin or Mao, and people who completely failed even at being competent ruthless autocrats.

Now Francisco Solano Lopez, that's top tier awful by any metric.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Helsing posted:

Putin is a monster but if you take a completely nihilistic view of foreign and domestic politics then you can make the case that he has rebuilt a country that was on the verge of collapse when he took power. Trump by contrast is gonna leave America a lot worse for wear by the time he's done.

I think Erdogan or Maduro would top the list of national leaders who are even worse for their respective countrys than the Donald.

What makes Erogodan as bad as Maduro?

Also, would Chavez really be that much different than Maduro?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Erdogan is rapidly turning his own country into an ultranationalist dictatorship which is very eager to do another Armenian genocide on the Kurds, which itself prevents us from forming a strong alliance with the Kurds in Syria, who are probably the only major rebel group that isn't a brutal salafist gang. because turkey is still in NATO you see

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Chavez had the Chavez cult of personality to cover up any radical shifts to cover his rear end.

Maduro's stuck trying to live up to Chavez' example if he wants to hold onto power, something Chavez never had to bother doing

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

P-Mack posted:

There should be some differentiation between guys who were awful for their people but did well for themselves, like Stalin or Mao, and people who completely failed even at being competent ruthless autocrats.

i dunno mao seemed pretty incompetent

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

and i must meme posted:

i dunno mao seemed pretty incompetent

at running the country sure, at seizing and maintaining power no, that's the distinction I was trying to make

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

P-Mack posted:

at running the country sure, at seizing and maintaining power no, that's the distinction I was trying to make

It's a good distinction to draw

What with Trump I was thinking of "pig-fuckingly incompetent" simply because well that's the most entertaining one, but there's also leaders who "did lasting horrible poo poo to their country" or "morally bad".

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ze Pollack posted:

Chavez had the Chavez cult of personality to cover up any radical shifts to cover his rear end.

Maduro's stuck trying to live up to Chavez' example if he wants to hold onto power, something Chavez never had to bother doing

Didn't Maduro just continue Chavez's policies?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Didn't Maduro just continue Chavez's policies?

yes. continuing Chavez' policies is a thing Chavez never had to worry about.

let me put it this way: Thomas Jefferson never had to give two shits about what the Founding Fathers would have done. the answer was "what I decided to do, bitch." doesn't matter if it was a total reversal of what he said yesterday.

cult of personality papers over a lot of requests for consistency

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ze Pollack posted:

yes. continuing Chavez' policies is a thing Chavez never had to worry about.

let me put it this way: Thomas Jefferson never had to give two shits about what the Founding Fathers would have done. the answer was "what I decided to do, bitch." doesn't matter if it was a total reversal of what he said yesterday.

cult of personality papers over a lot of requests for consistency

My point is that Venezuela wasn't as much of a shithole as it was under Chavez. Though it was clearly deteriorating. One could argue that Chavez merely didn't live long enough to see his nation crumble.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

My point is that Venezuela wasn't as much of a shithole as it was under Chavez. Though it was clearly deteriorating. One could argue that Chavez merely didn't live long enough to see his nation crumble.

"Full steam ahead" when you've basically made your economy dependent on oil was an obviously stupid move after Saudi Arabia decided to let loose to kill competition and it also killed the Harper administration in Canada. I doubt Chavez would have carried on with as much desperation.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The problem with Venezuela isn't oil dependence. It's the price controls and nationalizing of industries. It never works and never will. Legislating prices is like legislating the value of pi. It's like trying to make water flow uphill. As the oil industry crumbles we see the same thing happening there that happened in Zimbabwe when Mugabe repossessed the farms. He took the one cornerstone industry and handed it to political cronies. In reality it should have just been left in private hands where it was most productive. Surprise! Now they have unbelievable inflation.

e: from the perspective of remaining in power, of course, nationalization is a totally sensible move. Free assets you can use to reward your allies.

Mortabis has issued a correction as of 20:07 on May 17, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Price controls can work as temporary emergency measures, or as part of a broader set of regulations and subsidies tailored to a specific industry for a specific purpose.

As done in Venezuela on the other hand its an absurd libertarian strawman made real.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

P-Mack posted:

Price controls can work as temporary emergency measures, or as part of a broader set of regulations and subsidies tailored to a specific industry for a specific purpose.

As done in Venezuela on the other hand its an absurd libertarian strawman made real.

There is never a good reason for price controls. There are better solutions to the problems you would try to solve with them.

Mortabis has issued a correction as of 20:34 on May 17, 2017

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

punk rebel ecks posted:

Erdogan has systematically alienated every neighboring power as well as the United States. He also made some gambles in Syria that are now blowing up in his face. And while his short term grip on power seems absolute he is laying the conditions for long term instability and possibly even a civil war. He's very similar to Putin in some ways but whereas Putin found a weak and divided country and brought some stability while \raised its international profile it seems like Erdogan is leading his own nation in the opposite direction.

Chavez was more charismatic than Maduro but yeah, too much cronyism and banking on the assumption that the oil boom would never end were decisions that would have come back to bite the Venezuelan government in the rear end no matter who was in power.

Mortabis posted:

The problem with Venezuela isn't oil dependence. It's the price controls and nationalizing of industries. It never works and never will. Legislating prices is like legislating the value of pi. It's like trying to make water flow uphill. As the oil industry crumbles we see the same thing happening there that happened in Zimbabwe when Mugabe repossessed the farms. He took the one cornerstone industry and handed it to political cronies. In reality it should have just been left in private hands where it was most productive. Surprise! Now they have unbelievable inflation.

e: from the perspective of remaining in power, of course, nationalization is a totally sensible move. Free assets you can use to reward your allies.

Yeah, remember what a disaster World War II was for the American economy?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Yes. Real standard of living declined dramatically. (Also those industries weren't nationalized)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

lol

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

When asked to consider the performance of the economy during the greatest war effort in history a neoliberal's first reaction is "durrrr rationing bad"

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Of course it's bad, that's why we don't do it in peacetime.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Single product economies are garbage no matter the politics of the government

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mortabis posted:

There is never a good reason for price controls. There are better solutions to the problems you would try to solve with them.

every single first world country's health system says what

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

P-Mack posted:

Of course it's bad, that's why we don't do it in peacetime.

Of course rationing is bad when it isn't necessary, that's entirely beside the point and it's a dumb as gently caress follow up to the even dumber idea that it's literally impossible for the government to regulate prices because apparently prices are as immutably fixed as gravity or mathematical constants.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I would love to see what a neoliberal approach to a total war economy would look like

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

When you say "awful," do you mean in terms of their agenda or their effectiveness? There are world leaders alive today, like Putin, whom I would consider worse than Trump because they are masters at manipulating the levers of power to promote abhorrent policies. I can also think of a number of historical leaders who were well-intentioned, but possessed an even worse understanding of the limitations of their power than Trump.

The former option is going to get you answers like Andrew Jackson who committed genocide against the natives but managed to completely remake the American political system in his image.

The latter option is going to get you answers like James Buchanan and Benjamin Harrison, the former of whom accelerated the United States' path towards civil war and the latter of whom obviously died before he could pursue an agenda.

If we can agree on some metrics, I think this could be an interesting conversation.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 21:55 on May 17, 2017

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Helsing posted:

I would love to see what a neoliberal approach to a total war economy would look like

Ironically the german economy during ww2 might be close to that minus, hopefully, genocide. They were so afraid of raising taxes on the herrenvolk that they waited until halfway through to go to full war production and much of the recovery was fueled by looting imperial conquests.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bad leader- Hitler

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mortabis posted:

Norway has the same percentage of their workers working in nationalized industries as Venezuela does. It's all about what gets nationalized and how it is designed to function.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

P-Mack posted:

Bad leader- Hitler

gonna need you to expand on this

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

QuoProQuid posted:

When you say "awful," do you mean in terms of their agenda or their effectiveness? There are world leaders alive today, like Putin, whom I would consider worse than Trump because they are masters at manipulating the levers of power to promote abhorrent policies. I can also think of a number of historical leaders who were well-intentioned, but possessed an even worse understanding of the limitations of their power than Trump.

The former option is going to get you answers like Andrew Jackson who committed genocide against the natives but managed to completely remake the American political system in his image.

The latter option is going to get you answers like James Buchanan and Benjamin Harrison, the former of whom accelerated the United States' path towards civil war and the latter of whom obviously died before he could pursue an agenda.

If we can agree on some metrics, I think this could be an interesting conversation.

IMO I think we should go with the latter, since the former doesn't especially play to comedy would get us in a race to the bottom with a bunch of Pol Pots, Hitlers, etc and it's pretty clear while Trump aspires to that poo poo he doesn't have the abilities of a Putin or a Pinochet.

I actually think it's a bit unfair to have Harrison in, as he was a guy who gave his inauguration speech in the pouring rain, got pneumonia, and died. It's a bit like making GBS threads on James A. Garfield or something

I am grimly intrigued when you say that there were leaders who understood less about the limitations of their power because my reaction is "isn't that literally impossible?"

P-Mack posted:

lol agreed

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

I actually think it's a bit unfair to have Harrison in, as he was a guy who gave his inauguration speech in the pouring rain, got pneumonia, and died. It's a bit like making GBS threads on James A. Garfield or something

Harrison also ran on a platform of being a simple man's man who ate raw beef and biscuits all the time, while his opponent Van Buren was a dainty rich boy who supped on veal fricassee and fine wines. If that's true, I don't think his diet did his constitution any favors.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
James Buchanan is still the gold standard for bad Presidencies, but Trump might actually be worse at simply being the President.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Garrosh Hellscream and Slyvanas Windrunner are both shittier than Trump.

Kendel Ozzel, though he was a military leader.

Umm, Terrence Stamp in Episode I? He was p. lovely. Queen Natalie Portman and Frog King Brian Blessed too. Jar Jar a general? What the gently caress were you thinking?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

chitoryu12 posted:

Harrison also ran on a platform of being a simple man's man who ate raw beef and biscuits all the time, while his opponent Van Buren was a dainty rich boy who supped on veal fricassee and fine wines. If that's true, I don't think his diet did his constitution any favors.

Harrison was the guy who's campaign promise was "log cabins and hard cider" right?

He coulda beat Hillary, anyway

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Harrison was the guy who's campaign promise was "log cabins and hard cider" right?

He coulda beat Hillary, anyway

It was his opponents that tried the log cabin and cider line, which backfired spectacularly. Harrison's slogan was "Tippecanoe and Tyler too."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

P-Mack posted:

It was his opponents that tried the log cabin and cider line, which backfired spectacularly.

Do tell.

• Locked thread