Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Hey guys.

I live in a small apartment in Florida where my central unit is currently making GBS threads the bed. My landlord sent out an AC repairman to assess and repair the problem (today, 5/16), and ended up talking the guy into just recharging the freon instead of replacing the old (and apparently, very dirty) unit. Lo and behold, it cooled the apartment down about two degrees before going back up to 80 degrees. I contacted him and he basically admitted he doesn't have the money to replace my unit entirely and is looking at mini split ductless systems and, I assume, installing it himself.

In my research so far, it seems like a decent ductless unit that could actually cool my apartment would cost around $2,000, whereas I know a reputable guy who could replace the central unit for about 3500.

Are ductless systems just glorified wall units? Since my place already has ducts, would it just be better to replace the condenser and be done with it? What are the pros and cons to each system in this matter?

I saw cheaper mini split systems online for sub $1,000, but in the Florida heat that's coming up, I'm nervous that it won't be much better than my current situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Window units aren't bad but this place was advertised with Central air and I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the lease. I haven't had Central air in Florida for like five years, I'm not about to give it up.

• Locked thread