Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Are you feeling very daycrew? does The Mattering seem like it could Overwhelm you at any second? Have you not embraced the nihilism as the free world runs head first over a cliff?

ALCOHOL CAN HELP WITH THAT
if alcohol helps too much please seek medical attention or psyciatric help
cspam not responsible for any injuries, mental of physical, that may be sustained attempting to escape the mattering

Welcome to your liquid escape from this awful (excellent?) reality!

Post here for all your intoxication needs and questions! Need a drink recommendation? Drank something you want to share? Want to make awkward conversation with strangers? We got that

Seriously the combined ABV of this forum would kill you many times over, we've got the gumption to make it through these trying times together.

I'll be posting nightly cocktails, with pictures and instructions. I can whip up recommendations for anything using only what you have accessible

Remember, nothing matters, except paying your tab. make alcohol great again.

Your current Authoritarian overlord bar manager - Lastgirl

Barkeeps:
2DCAT - Secretary Of Liquor
Weeping Wound - Undersecretary of Beer
M_Gargantua - Undersecretary of Wine

Alcohols of the Month:

Liquor - For when you need to maximally concentrate your self loathing and hope it goes away.

2DCAT posted:

Choosing my first Liquor of the Month has been a very difficult and challenging problem. On one hand, I'd like to select a liquor that truly represents the people -- a high proof, low cost whiskey that truly represents the history of America. On the other hand... now that the Republicans in Congress appear to have formally recognized my position as Secretary of Liquor, I also feel the need to side the bastard 1%, and select a whiskey thats mediocre, unavailable to nearly the entire world, and outside the price point of the vast majority of the people. But today, as I walked the halls of Congress... I was reminded at how broken our society has become. Instead of choosing one, or the other... I have chosen to make a compromise.

May's Liquor of the Month is:
Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey

Rittenhouse Rye is widely available across most of the country, it costs $24, and is 100 proof. It's delicious on its own, but also works really well in a manhattan, a sazerac, and an old fashioned. At a lower price range is Old Overholt. It has a more storied history; however, it's 80 proof, and you're pretty much getting better value for money ($18 price point for OO), but who wants extra water in their liquor anyways? Sazerac Rye is also good, but with the higher price point and lower proof (90 proof), it becomes hard to recommend that over the Rittenhouse.

Beer - The working mans choice of watery slurry to grow your gut.

Weeping Wound posted:

Well, what do you know?

It's a Champagne of Beers!

It's PABST BLUE RIBBON

I will make the world drink something better, let alone myself, but let's start with something simple, shall we? :sigh: (it's also like $5 for these don't slay me)

Wine - For when you're trying to appear calm and collected as your coastal elitist world crumbles around you.

M_Gargantua posted:

Wine is the classiest of the tasty drinks. Cocktails are expensive while being delicious, and scotch, while also classy, is both expensive and arguable on the taste front.

But wine shall never come in boxes (unless you're drinking alone)

As i suspect Sicily will survive the coming years,

This months wine is Nero D'Avola. a dark, strong Sicilian red. Its got a lot of flavor and other good wine words. Generally goes for <$15 a bottle, this one was $12.

DO NOT PAIR WITH WELL DONE STEAK SERVED WITH KETCHUP Try it with food, try it on its own, its delicious either way.

As an aside Nero translates black so youre also giving sessions the finger by drinking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
since 2DCAT recommended such a great rye, tonight i'll be having a Classic Manhattan

3oz rye whiskey
1.5oz sweet vermouth
few drops of bitters
cherry
garnish with citrus peel

mixed on ice, served neat.

they're beautiful i know! so to make one

first grab a shaker with ice in it, glass, and sweet vermouth. garnish the glass with a lemon peel if youre classy. add the rye whiskey and the vermouth to the shaker in a 1:2 ratio.

next add a few drops of bitters, if you have them peach biters add a sweet kick instead of the usual. swirl it around until its all mixed up. drop a cherry in the glass, i smash them against the side so its muddled and you don't have to wait for the end to taste it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSx6woYYPVo

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

i'm drinkin evan williams and diet mt dew bc i'm not some fkin bourgeois poster

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
no goon is turned away for their tastes. if we did that we would just be d&d.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Evan Williams is the perfect bottom-shelf bourbon.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Rittenhouse Rye is a pro as hell pick, next time I'm not on medication that prevents me from drinking I'll deffo pick some up

^^Evan Williams is also good as hell for the price, it's probably the best choice at that end of the quality ladder

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DRINK BOURBON YOU FUCKS IF YOU DON'T YOU HATE AMERICA DON'T IMPORT YOUR poo poo CREATE JOBS FOR AMERICANS

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

true story mt dew was originally made as a mixer for whiskey and i'm glad of it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
also drink good NATO member Poland vodka, not evil election-tampering enemy Russkie vodka

I recommend Sobieski, or Luksusowa if you want special kind of vodka made of scarce unavailable in Latvia wonder plant potato

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Epic High Five posted:

DRINK BOURBON YOU FUCKS IF YOU DON'T YOU HATE AMERICA DON'T IMPORT YOUR poo poo CREATE JOBS FOR AMERICANS

rye whiskey is more american than bourbon; noted patriot george washington distilled it on his property

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm a fan of the classics and counter-revolutionaries

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i was sipppin on some ozark distillery bourbon with a hint of water this evening

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

mormonpartyboat posted:

i was sipppin on some ozark distillery bourbon with a hint of water this evening

that sounds pretty rad. guessing they keep it pretty local because ive never seen it up here.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

alcyhol

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
my old roommate used to get angry when i'd mix random stuff, like one time there was a little bourbon left and i topped it off with triplesec and sprite, or whiskey with orange fanta. he said i was wasting good whiskey like lol it wasnt going to waste

anyway i got a dui so ive been sober for 5 months now, it blows. protip: if you leave the car at home and just uber to a bar, you cant drive home drunk!

also half of americans never drink a drop, 10% only have one drink a year, another 10% only one a month, 10% just a couple per week, so the entire liquor industry rests on the backs of alcoholics. stay safe and dont overdo it guys!

that said, i still like alcohol and will partake again in another month, but i'll be in that 2 drinks per week group. but it's not vital to cope with trump

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
i hate that broke brain medications make alcohol a no go, i feel like i'm really missing out

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

my old roommate used to get angry when i'd mix random stuff, like one time there was a little bourbon left and i topped it off with triplesec and sprite, or whiskey with orange fanta. he said i was wasting good whiskey like lol it wasnt going to waste

anyway i got a dui so ive been sober for 5 months now, it blows. protip: if you leave the car at home and just uber to a bar, you cant drive home drunk!

also half of americans never drink a drop, 10% only have one drink a year, another 10% only one a month, 10% just a couple per week, so the entire liquor industry rests on the backs of alcoholics. stay safe and dont overdo it guys!

that said, i still like alcohol and will partake again in another month, but i'll be in that 2 drinks per week group. but it's not vital to cope with trump

These stats explain why America is the way it is jesus.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
A Manhattan is a good and tasty drink. Probably my second favorite drink, behind my beloved sazerac.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Is there any reason not to put high proof alcohol in your freezer? Also, cardamom bitters are really good, if you're into experimenting with bitters.

*edit* Also, Rum and Coke is good. If you've got either Lime Coke, because you've got access to one of those Freestyle machines, or Lime Syrup/Lime juice add that and it'll be so much better you'll never drink just a Rum and Coke again.

Relevant Tangent has issued a correction as of 19:29 on May 17, 2017

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Is there any reason not to put high proof alcohol in your freezer?

cold ruins the taste

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Deceptive Thinker posted:

cold ruins the taste

that's a benefit for lovely liqours. fridgid fireball is amazing and very cheep. jager is also good cold because there's not a good taste to ruin

cold ruining the taste is why you almost always drink wine at room temp

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

M_Gargantua posted:

that's a benefit for lovely liqours. fridgid fireball is amazing and very cheep. jager is also good cold because there's not a good taste to ruin

cold ruining the taste is why you almost always drink wine at room temp

I mean, we put ice in all of our drinks?
Also, barenjager as cold as your freezer gets is pretty close to syrup. Golden, honey flavored syrup that gets you drunk.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this thread is probably going to kill someone

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

How? It explicitly discourages binge drinking.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Relevant Tangent posted:

How? It explicitly discourages binge drinking.

I didn't read the OP

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
When I get bored, I do drunken science experiments. Manhattans were something I looked into for a bit, and this is what I came back with. I shoot for a final ABV of around 30%, so my proportions are 2oz of the Rittenhouse Rye, and .9oz of Vermouth. I also use two dashes of bitters and an expressed clementine peel.

A lot of people like buying store-bought vermouth, and while there is a lot of good stuff out there (punt e mas and antica formula immediately come to mind), you can do it better and cheaper if you do it on your own:

This was my last endeavor. Over the course of about 2 years, I ran roughly 2,000 food and beverage ingredients through the GC:MS and LC:MS, ultimately, I came back with aromatic matches that worked well with Rye whiskey. I'd have to pull up my notebook for all of the ingredients I used in this vermouth, but I know the final cost came out to $8.50 for 750ml, which is far below the price of even the cheapest vermouth. The biggest price factor in this is what you decide to cut the fortified wine with in the end. You can go all balls out if you're drinking it by its own, but I found that a cheaper amontillado works super well in a Rittenhouse manhattan. I use the expressed clementine peel since it's a much better aromatic match than the orange peel, but orange peel also works (i use it a lot when clementines are hard to find). I've been using the glycerin-based fee brothers, whiskey barrel aged, old fashioned bitters. You can use whatever though. I putting two dashes of the bitters into a metal spoon then blowtourching the bitters as the heat changes the glycerin structure quite a bit making it pretty drat awesome.

I also smoke my manhattan with applewood because I think it rounds out the flavor a bit and applewood is a superb aromatic match with rittenhouse. I've fooled around with at least two dozen ways of infusing the smoke into the cocktail, but the best method I've found is to through your chilled, base cocktail into decanter, funnel the smoke in, and once its filled with smoke, cap off the decanter. Give it 2-3 shakes, and strain into the serving glass. Once in the glass, flame the clementine peel and toss in. Yes, I'm using punt e mas today because i'm out of my homemade vermouth :rip:

final product:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

got any sevens posted:

also half of americans never drink a drop, 10% only have one drink a year, another 10% only one a month, 10% just a couple per week, so the entire liquor industry rests on the backs of alcoholics.

Are they counting kids or something in that half that don't drink at all? Because that seems really low.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Thoguh posted:

Are they counting kids or something in that half that don't drink at all? Because that seems really low.

Adults over the age of 18. Also, the numbers are slightly off; it's 30% don't drink, 30% drink less than 1 drink a week, 20% drink less than once a day, 10% drink approximately twice a day, and the final 10% averages 74 drinks per week or more than 10 drinks per day.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

2DCAT posted:

A lot of people like buying store-bought vermouth, and while there is a lot of good stuff out there (punt e mas and antica formula immediately come to mind), you can do it better and cheaper if you do it on your own:

This was my last endeavor.

im definitely trying this one my summer settles down. also gonna share my polish brandy recepie when I make another batch.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Adults over the age of 18. Also, the numbers are slightly off; it's 30% don't drink, 30% drink less than 1 drink a week, 20% drink less than once a day, 10% drink approximately twice a day, and the final 10% averages 74 drinks per week or more than 10 drinks per day.

i wonder how this break up by region. im east coast and i struggle to think of anyone 18-40 who drinks LESS than like 4 drinks a weekend.

that upper 10% really making bank for the alcohol companies. i drink excessively and still probably only ~20 drinks worth of alcohol a week.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

A thing that is very good and very easy is infusing hibiscus into your gin. You get a solid purple colored gin with an unexpected flavor and all you need is a strainer, an empty bottle to pour your gin into, and some hibiscus which is easy to find at basically every Hispanic/Asian/World market. It doesn't overwhelm the other botanicals in the gin, and it makes for some stunning drinks.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
i'm drinking franzia boxed wine

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
im doing a knob creek rye manhattan atm to roll me along while cooking

im about to dive into scotch for the first time and picked up a bottle of glenmorangie 10 to celebrate

also probably going to have some of this pinot since it smelled loving fantastic when i deglazed with it :c00l:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

M_Gargantua posted:

that sounds pretty rad. guessing they keep it pretty local because ive never seen it up here.

yah its got a lot of spicy and isn't GREAT for sipping so im going to try making some cocktails out of it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
since i have no lime, tonight's coctail is not the delicious cosmopolitan

it is instead a trashy vodka cran

remember that ice will throw off your ratios, and you don't want to overfill your glass (having extra is never frowned upon though!)

whatever size you want, 1/2 a glass of cranberry juice, 1/4 of vodka, 1/4 of triplesec. makes for a sweet drink that you can pound and discover you have made yourself drunk without realizing it. then the next 3 drinks continue to hit you as you slouch into the couch and mainline tweet refreshes. cranberry juice is cheep and takes the edge off.

for those of you curious, thinking this sounds a lot like a cosmo. a proper cosmo is made out of the far better cointreau instead of triplesec, with lime juice, and has a much smaller amount of cranberry.

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

i wish you best with your hangover tomorrow

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

Why does a bachelor on a US Senate salary like such swill?

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Paul Newman drank bushmills in the verdict

he also typed on an olympia sm9

cheers
drink one

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

M_Gargantua posted:

i wonder how this break up by region. im east coast and i struggle to think of anyone 18-40 who drinks LESS than like 4 drinks a weekend.

that upper 10% really making bank for the alcohol companies. i drink excessively and still probably only ~20 drinks worth of alcohol a week.

Back when I worked at a liquor store, I estimate that 5% of our customer base bought 90% of our product, by volume. And that's excluding bootleggers.

Once you've watched a man break down a pallet of Natty Light and reconfigure it to fit in the bed of a pickup truck in less than ten minutes, you've seen America.

Old Kentucky Shark has issued a correction as of 02:51 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
seconding PBR as a cheap but drinkable beer. If you need something a little sweeter, Miller High Life is a crisp beer that I pretty much only drink during the summer and it's not bad, even if it is terribly sweet.

Edit: I spent my early 20s living in a Minnesota/Wisconsin border town and I moved to Arkansas last year and the fact there are people here who don't drink "just because" is weird as gently caress.

Poco has issued a correction as of 02:54 on May 18, 2017

• Locked thread